Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566Next
Current Page: 65 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: September 18, 2022 19:52

Treacle, hope this post finds you and all well. I am hopeful that some among this wealth of Stones' vinyl knowledge can help ID these 45s, as there is very little to go on:

I suspect that these are some kind of 60s "Syndicate" Pirate pressings designed to stick in jukeboxes and avoid royalty payments, but anything any'all know or can point me to would be welcomed.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: September 18, 2022 20:09

Here's a couple more that I'd really dig if any'all could share any intel on or knowledge you have of. Each picture is the front and back of the same 45, as I have 2x each.

Discogs tells us: Discogs on Solid Rock Stones' Brown Sugar c/w Get Off My Cloud

Again, any additional links or any knowledge you have will be welcomed.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-18 20:24 by stonesstein.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2022 22:30

I can offer no information on those StonesStein, but will say that they are very intriguing, particularly the first batch without identifiers other than the short catalogue numbers.

The lines the way they are printed look similar to Canadian Stones 45s from the 60s. Here is one from discogs, Heart of Stone, by way of example:

[www.discogs.com]-

See those silver lines and the silver writing look the same to me. It makes me wonder if they were printed by the same factory privately? I have no info to say that though just makes me wonder.

Date: September 18, 2022 23:57

Treacle, very interesting! These could be related, perhaps. They are weird couplings - Rooster & Mona (neither were US singles), but Under My Thumb & Spider and the Fly were never singles anywhere as I recall.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 19, 2022 10:05

stonesstein
Treacle, very interesting! These could be related, perhaps. They are weird couplings - Rooster & Mona (neither were US singles), but Under My Thumb & Spider and the Fly were never singles anywhere as I recall.

Is it possible that they are special pressings (quite possibly not fully legitimate) for use in a Juke Box? Just a thought....

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: September 19, 2022 15:04

CaptainCorella
stonesstein

Is it possible that they are special pressings (quite possibly not fully legitimate) for use in a Juke Box? Just a thought....

Captain Corella, that is what I think could be the case as I mentioned in my first post. It's the only thing I can think of, because these do not appear to be non-US pressings. However, they could, I suppose, be some of the "pirate" pressings from Thailand from 1965-1966 made to sell to troops stationed over there for the Vietnamese war.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: September 27, 2022 06:07

Treacle, what do you know about these?

legit or just classy-boots?

(sorry about picture size! Can't figure out how to make it smaller.)

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-18 20:59 by stonesstein.

Date: September 27, 2022 07:01

stonesstein

Senor StonesStein,

You give me far too much credit for my knowledge is not as vast as you may suggest. However...these are boots dude. Classy for sure!

Date: September 28, 2022 05:35

treaclefingers
stonesstein

Senor StonesStein,

You give me far too much credit for my knowledge is not as vast as you may suggest. However...these are boots dude. Classy for sure!

No way, Cat! You know your stuff!!!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: September 28, 2022 19:47

Is that Stu on bass?

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: September 28, 2022 20:11

Gigbag
Is that Stu on bass?

Yes it is, rehearsals. Apparently Bill was out back with one of Ed's usherettes.

Date: September 28, 2022 22:21

northof49
Gigbag
Is that Stu on bass?

Yes it is, rehearsals. Apparently Bill was out back with one of Ed's usherettes.

he holds it up high like Bill...but Bill doesn't look at his fingers!

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: September 29, 2022 02:48

treaclefingers
northof49
Gigbag
Is that Stu on bass?

Bill was too much of a gentleman to be looking at his fingers!

Date: September 29, 2022 09:48

northof49
treaclefingers
northof49
Gigbag
Is that Stu on bass?

Bill was too much of a gentleman to be looking at his fingers!

That's what she said!

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: September 30, 2022 10:24

stonesstein

After embedding the image you can change the display size by replacing the initial "img" in your text e.g. with "img size=300" like I have just done in the quote above.
(I could not include the square brackets in this sentence - the img command would have otherwise become active.)

Obviously this only affects the display in this forum, the original image remains unchanged.

Date: December 27, 2022 20:28

OK...so I don't know how actually RARE this is, but it is not oft discussed...

I had the fortune to take the time earlier this year to catalogue everything on DISCOGS, a godsend if you've got a bit of a collection (I recommend if you've got the time), and so it's easy to look up and even if I still can't figure out how to post an image. In addition to inventory it's a handy listing for insurance purposes should it ever come to a horrible outcome...prices update daily.

SO..."Rarities 1971-2003", the 2005 Vinyl and Digipak relase with a unique tracklist:

[www.discogs.com]

Again, not sure exactly how rare but it's going for a king's ransom still sealed, upwards of $400.

I think it was in the 'between times' when CDs still mostly ruled but vinyl had just started getting pressed again. You'll recall that both Licks and Live Licks didn't actually have an official vinyl release. During that period vinyl pressings I think were pretty small so I'd venture to say this is a bit rare as a consequence.

Anyone else nab this when it was first released? I got the digipak at a Starbucks and then subsequently bought 2 copies off Amazon, one sealed the other opend, vinyl NM but sleeve a VG+.

TRACKLIST:

A1 Fancy Man Blues
Written-By – Jagger/Richards*
A2 Tumbling Dice (Live)
A3 Wild Horses (Live Stripped Version)
A4 Beast Of Burden (Live)
B1 Anyway You Look At It
B2 If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt. 2)
Written-By – Richards/Jagger*, Wood*
B3 Miss You (Dance Version)
B4 Wish I'd Never Met You
C1 I Just Wanna Make Love To You (Live)
Written-By – Dixon*
C2 Mixed Emotions (12" Version)
C3 Through The Lonely Nights
C4 Live With Me (Live)
D1 Let It Rock
Written-By – Berry*
D2 Harlem Shuffle (NY Mix)
Written-By – Relf*, Nelson*
D3 Mannish Boy (Live)
Written-By – McDaniel*, Morganfield*, London*
D4 Thru And Thru (Live)

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 31, 2023 05:42

Trying to build a rare Stones vinyl collection!! I have a couple items thus far:

I Wanna Be Your Man/Stoned 45 with "Stones" misprint
Satisfaction Picture Sleeve
We Love You/Dandelion Picture Sleeve (Front cover only)
Beggars Banquet/Let It Bleed Mono
Hot Rocks Shelley Pressing w/alternate Brown Sugar & Wild Horses

Money wise, I am limited as far as what I can afford but there is a copy of the rare 1969 Special Promotional album for sale ($220) that does not include the sleeve, just the record. Is it worth a purchase?

These are some other rare vinyl I'd kill to own one day. Do any of you own some of these? Where and when did you buy them?

Not Fade Away Picture Sleeve
First Album with short Tell Me
Heart of Stone Picture Sleeve
Aftermath 'Purple Shadow' cover
1969 Special Promotional Album

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-31 05:46 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 31, 2023 07:28

JordyLicks96
there is a copy of the rare 1969 Special Promotional album for sale ($220) that does not include the sleeve, just the record. Is it worth a purchase?

It's your choice, but I'd want the entire package.

Date: January 31, 2023 21:07

JordyLicks96
Trying to build a rare Stones vinyl collection!! I have a couple items thus far:

Money wise, I am limited as far as what I can afford but there is a copy of the rare 1969 Special Promotional album for sale ($220) that does not include the sleeve, just the record. Is it worth a purchase?

These are some other rare vinyl I'd kill to own one day. Do any of you own some of these? Where and when did you buy them?

Fun eh? From your list of wants I have 2 copies of NFA and one hope of the Heart of Stone with original picture sleeves.

What I'd really like is that US promotional copy of Not Fade Away. There's even a copy of I Wanna Be Your Man, b/w Stoned I believe. Super rare, saw it once over 10 years ago on EBAY.

Regarding sleeveless promo album, agree with exile it's your choice BUT I'd be really careful it's not a fake.

Date: January 31, 2023 23:17

treaclefingers
JordyLicks96

Fun eh? From your list of wants I have 2 copies of NFA and one hope of the Heart of Stone with original picture sleeves.

What I'd really like is that US promotional copy of Not Fade Away. There's even a copy of I Wanna Be Your Man, b/w Stoned I believe. Super rare, saw it once over 10 years ago on EBAY.

Regarding sleeveless promo album, agree with exile it's your choice BUT I'd be really careful it's not a fake.

The London I Wanna Be Your Man/Stoned? There are two on eBay right now. Plus two promo copies (different labels) of Not Fade Away are on eBay as well!!

[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]

Date: January 31, 2023 23:26

JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96

The London I Wanna Be Your Man/Stoned? There are two on eBay right now. Plus two promo copies (different labels) of Not Fade Away are on eBay as well!!

[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]

those are great. No, there is actually an "I Wanna Be Your Man" b/w "Stoned" London label. Only seen it once or twice.

Date: January 31, 2023 23:30

treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96

[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]

those are great. No, there is actually an "I Wanna Be Your Man" b/w "Stoned" London label. Only seen it once or twice.

This one?

[www.ebay.com]

Date: January 31, 2023 23:40

JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96

[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]

This one?

[www.ebay.com]

yup! nice price!

Date: February 1, 2023 04:04

treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96

[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]

This one?

[www.ebay.com]

yup! nice price!

Treacle, hope you have been well! Here's one that there are less than 10 known.

eBay - LOOK!!!!

Treacle, I may have some stuff for which you search. Email me.

Keep on doing that good thing you do!!!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 1, 2023 04:17

stonesstein
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96
treaclefingers
JordyLicks96

[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]

This one?

[www.ebay.com]

yup! nice price!

eBay - LOOK!!!!

Holy moly that's right...the 'retail' version of the disc is rarer than the promotional copy.

On the bright side, if you buy 4 items you get 10% off, saving US$7000, so there's that!

I need a break from collecting SS...up to my nipples in new product but curious for sure what you have!

Date: February 2, 2023 05:02

treaclefingers
stonesstein

eBay - LOOK!!!!

Holy moly that's right...the 'retail' version of the disc is rarer than the promotional copy.

On the bright side, if you buy 4 items you get 10% off, saving US$7000, so there's that!

I need a break from collecting SS...up to my nipples in new product but curious for sure what you have!

Treacle, email me, and we will "talk"!

when I asked her, where she's headed for
back up to Boston, I'm singing in a bar

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 2, 2023 23:55

stonesstein
treaclefingers
stonesstein

eBay - LOOK!!!!

dunno...that sounds like it could be an expensive email!

On another topic, as we've just gotten the new MONO Box set in coloured vinyl released, what to you constitutes 'rare' vinyl.

I used to think it was gauged by the price of the box set...but something like the 2016 box set is fetching around $2000 now, up easily 500% since its 2016 release.

Can we consider that rare? It's certainly not 'ultra rare', like the Street Fighting Man Sleeve, or the Promotional Album, or that $70000 copy of Stoned/I Wanna Be Your Man.

Rare-ish?

Date: February 4, 2023 16:02

treaclefingers
stonesstein
treaclefingers
stonesstein

eBay - LOOK!!!!

On another topic, as we've just gotten the new MONO Box set in coloured vinyl released, what to you constitutes 'rare' vinyl.

I used to think it was gauged by the price of the box set...but something like the 2016 box set is fetching around $2000 now, up easily 500% since its 2016 release.

Can we consider that rare? It's certainly not 'ultra rare', like the Street Fighting Man Sleeve, or the Promotional Album, or that $70000 copy of Stoned/I Wanna Be Your Man.

Rare-ish?

Treacle, bottom of my 2022 Coloured Box set reads 3923/10000. Anything with 10,000 copies would not seem "rare"; however, the question is how many will buy the new one? Insofar as the 2016 issue, there were only 900 (I think) sold with the 7" sleeves, and I bought one of those. Strikes me that the one with only 900 total would be "rare".

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 6, 2023 20:56

stonesstein
treaclefingers
stonesstein
treaclefingers
stonesstein

eBay - LOOK!!!!

Rare-ish?

Treacle, bottom of my 2022 Coloured Box set reads 3923/10000. Anything with 10,000 copies would not seem "rare"; however, the question is how many will buy the new one? Insofar as the 2016 issue, there were only 900 (I think) sold with the 7" sleeves, and I bought one of those. Strikes me that the one with only 900 total would be "rare".

Agreed, so those 7" in particular would be rare, but perhaps not the box itself unless that box was a different 'edition' which I presume it isn't...its otherwise just the same as the other 10000.

Those bonus 7" titles are unique on their own.

Date: June 18, 2023 21:12

Treacle, never got that email from you about working a deal for some US 7" promos & PS.

Also, please email me your Discogs moniker so I can see what all you have.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-18 21:16 by stonesstein.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566Next
Current Page: 65 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home