Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566Next
Current Page: 64 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 12, 2022 19:34

But you're saying it's not an official release?

I'm working on a collage of Sticky-related items around my framed print of Cardiff and Pembroke Castle. I have the menu from Sticky Fingers and the Spanish SF framed. Awaiting the arrival of the Russian LP and trying to find a reasonably priced version of the original in very good condition or better.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2022 20:22

VoodooLounge13
But you're saying it's not an official release?

I'm working on a collage of Sticky-related items around my framed print of Cardiff and Pembroke Castle. I have the menu from Sticky Fingers and the Spanish SF framed. Awaiting the arrival of the Russian LP and trying to find a reasonably priced version of the original in very good condition or better.

Well, I'm not an expert but there are two reasons I don't think it is.

First, I don't believe the band would sanction a completely different cover for Russia (though I know they did for Spain), especially having it be similar but not the same.

Second, on Discogs they list it as unauthorized. If there was an official release I believe it would have shown up on DISCOGs by now.

Doesn't take anything away from it, in fact makes it kind of cool.

Date: May 12, 2022 20:35

Ah got it.

Yeah, I always thought it was cool!

thanks!!

Date: May 12, 2022 22:28

VoodooLounge13
Ah got it.

Yeah, I always thought it was cool!

thanks!!

Some bootlegs get crazy expensive too. I have a couple of copies of the EP picture disc from the 1977 LOVE YOU LIVE release. I think their close to $200 now.

Date: May 12, 2022 23:36

It's quite the racket, the bootleg market.

Date: May 13, 2022 22:49

VoodooLounge13

Indeed. The legal market does pretty good for itself too though!

I bought this about 12 years ago. Never even new it existed. A promo 45 to promote the Let's Spend The Night Together release...

[www.discogs.com]

with Let's Spend the Night Together b/w Start Me Up.

I have a couple of copies in really nice condition, but with just generic sleeves, not the picture sleeves.

Date: May 13, 2022 23:52

Nice!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 13, 2022 23:58

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

I bought this about 12 years ago. Never even new it existed. A promo 45 to promote the Let's Spend The Night Together release...

[www.discogs.com]

I have a couple of copies in really nice condition, but with just generic sleeves, not the picture sleeves.
And those are not the still life versions? And it's not a boot?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 14, 2022 01:11

Are you familiar with "Album Play?" I'm wondering if it has the alternate version of "Under the Boardwalk."
I am wondering what is different about "Paint It Black."

Do you have any info about "Album Play?"

680800A August: THE ROLLING STONES.
EP 'Album Play' (Decca DCD 81500, -West-Germany). Incl. unique edit versions of:
- Paint It Black (MJ/KR) -edit
- Ruby Tuesday (MJ/KR) -edit
- Under the Boardwalk (Arthur Resnick/Kenny Young) -edit

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: May 14, 2022 02:45

Whale
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

[www.discogs.com]

And those are not the still life versions? And it's not a boot?

I'm not exactly sure, I think they're probably the film versions.

Definitely not a boot though. They were released with the premiere of the film.

Date: May 14, 2022 02:52

exilestones
Are you familiar with "Album Play?" I'm wondering if it has the alternate version of "Under the Boardwalk."
I am wondering what is different about "Paint It Black."

Do you have any info about "Album Play?"

680800A August: THE ROLLING STONES.
EP 'Album Play' (Decca DCD 81500, -West-Germany). Incl. unique edit versions of:
- Paint It Black (MJ/KR) -edit
- Ruby Tuesday (MJ/KR) -edit
- Under the Boardwalk (Arthur Resnick/Kenny Young) -edit

[www.nzentgraf.de]

WHOA!

Great find exile. Do you own this? I hadn't heard anything about this before. I typed in the catalogue number in DISCOGs.com and got this:

[www.discogs.com]

Only one currently for sale for 950 Euros. Only 200 copies ever pressed.

Here is some info from the seller...seems as though Boardwalk and PIB are different edits, maybe just faded out earlier?

Notes
Also known as "ALBUM PLAY" !!!
EP was given away for free when a new juke-box
was bought for Public Bars, Dance Halls, Pubs, etc.
Pressed in minor quantities (less than 200 copies !?).

Matrix numbers: Side 1: Ste - 33 - DCD - 13614 - X
Side 2: Ste - 33 - DCD - 13615 - I X
5 - H - III / Manufactured in Germany

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 18, 2022 21:19

A signed copy of the promotional record that belonged to John Peel will be auctioned next month.

"The Rolling Stones: A Promotional Album LP Signed by the Band, 1969. Estimate: £6,000-8,000."

[www.bonhams.com]

Date: May 19, 2022 15:51

Cristiano Radtke
A signed copy of the promotional record that belonged to John Peel will be auctioned next month.

"The Rolling Stones: A Promotional Album LP Signed by the Band, 1969. Estimate: £6,000-8,000."

[www.bonhams.com]

Great story actually, thanks Cristiano...for those not inspired to click the link, here it is:

London – A pioneering DJ, broadcaster, producer, and journalist, John Peel (1939 - 2004) arguably did more for modern music than any single broadcaster. He helped launch the careers of countless musicians, including: The Sex Pistols, Joy Division, Nirvana, The Undertones, The Fall, Pink Floyd, T-Rex, David Bowie, The Cure, The Clash, The Damned, and Queen. Creator of the famous Peel Sessions on Radio 1, his legacy was marked with a stage named in his honour at Glastonbury Festival – 'The John Peel Stage' – a tribute to the late and great DJ, commemorating his influence on new music culture. Now highlights from his personal archive, featuring radio-played test pressings from landmark musicians, rare records, personal correspondence, and memorabilia, will be offered at auction for the first time ever, at Bonhams Knightsbridge. The sale, Live In Session: Property From The John Peel Archive, will be held on the 14 June, the week before the long-awaited 50th anniversary of Glastonbury.

Leading the sale will be highlights from John Peel's personal collection, which have been carefully selected by the family, whist retaining the integrity of the John Peel Record Collection. Items on offer will include a Mono Pressing LP 'Two Virgins', 1968, annotated by John Lennon and Yoko Ono, which has an estimate of £15,000-20,000.

Katherine Schofield, Director of Bonhams Popular Culture department, commented: "John Peel had an incredible impact on the new music landscape. Without his passionate advocacy of emerging talent, generations of music lovers may never have heard the sounds of The Fall, The Undertones, The Sex Pistols, and countless others. This collection, offered directly by the family, comprises some of Peel's most collectible and rare records, spanning decades in music – many of which are accompanied by letters from the artists or their management. A number of the test-pressings in this collection were the source of the first airplay for landmark songs. This sale offers a chance to own highlights from Peel's unbeatable personal archive for the first time, and to share in Peel's passion for music."

The Ravenscroft family commented: "By virtue of the role he played in it, John/Dad was in a position to have access to many of the most celebrated people and events in the history of popular music. This is reflected in a wealth of souvenirs he collected throughout his life. He had not only a voracious appetite for vinyl, but a keen sense of what memorabilia, ephemera and correspondence might find an interested audience in decades to come (though it could be argued that this was achieved by a strategy of keeping almost everything that crossed his path).

"In going through the accumulation of 40 years of pop music moments, we decided that some of the most interesting items might find a home, with fans of his programme or of the artists whose music he played. Bonhams have assisted us to carefully select what is being offered for sale, and we hope these items find the attention and appreciation that we're sure John/Dad would feel they warranted. We had no desire to split up his beloved record collection but have included in the sale a selection of particularly rare or unique records that do not take away from the integrity of his archive."

Highlights of the sale include:

Records

• John Lennon/Yoko Ono: A Mono Pressing LP 'Two Virgins' Annotated by John Lennon and Yoko Ono, 1968. Estimate: £15,000-20,000.

• The Rolling Stones: A Promotional Album LP Signed by the Band, 1969. Estimate: £6,000-8,000.

• Marc Bolan: An Unreleased LP 'Hard On Love', 1972. Estimate: £5,000-6,000.

• Queen: A 'Queen II' LP with hand-written letter from Freddie Mercury, 1974. Estimate: £1,000-1,500.

• The Damned: An LP 'Damned Damned Damned' Signed by the Band, 1977. Estimate: £1,500-2,000.

Singles

• Joy Division: A 7" 'An Ideal For Living', 1978, with Letter from Stephen Morris. Estimate: £4,000-6,000.

• Sex Pistols: An Acetate 'Nevermind Buzzcocks'. Estimate: £5,000-7,000.

• Nirvana: A 7" Single 'Love Buzz/Big Cheese', 1988. Estimate: £3,000-4,000.

• The Clash: An 8" Single 'London Calling', 1979. Estimate: £2,500-3,000.

• U2: A 7" Single 'Joshua Tree Collection', 1987. Estimate: £1,500-2,000.

Posters

• Pink Floyd/John Peel: An Important 'Evolutions' Foil Poster. Estimate: £8,000-10,000.

• Joy Division: A 'Unknown Pleasures' Poster. Estimate: £3,000-4,000.

• The Jimi Hendrix Experience: A 'Christmas On Earth' Poster for Olympia, 1967. Estimate: £1,000-1,500.

Memorabilia

• David Bowie: An Early Five-Sided Handwritten Letter With Stage Sketches, Signed. Estimate: £3,000-4,000.

• Yoko Ono: A Note Regarding Forthcoming Demos. Estimate: £1,000-2,000.

• John Peel Handwritten programme running orders. Estimate: £300-500

• An NME Award for Godlike Genius, presented to John Peel in1993. Estimate: £800-1,200.

• A Horn Gramophone, First Half 20th Century. From John Peel's desk in his studio at his home in Suffolk. Estimate: £800-1,200.

John Ravenscroft (1939 - 2004), known professionally as John Peel, was the longest serving of the original BBC Radio 1 DJs, broadcasting from 1967 until 2004. As well as his wit and passion, the show was particularly notable for 'the Peel Sessions', which ordinarily consisted of four songs recorded by an artist live in the BBC's studios – often providing the first major national outlet to upcoming bands.

In the 1980s Peel became one of the regular presenters on Top of the Pops, and later presented the popular BBC Radio 4 show Home Truths. Peel often appeared on BBC music programmes and live coverage, notably for Glastonbury Festival.

Peel was an early proponent of Psychedelia and Punk music and later Hip Hop, Reggae, Grunge and Drum 'n' Bass as well as having a reputation for launching unsigned acts to fame. Throughout his career he received and collected an enormous volume of records, CDs, and tapes from hopeful musicians looking for their big break on the airwaves.

17 May 2022

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 19, 2022 17:28

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

[www.bonhams.com]

Great story actually, thanks Cristiano.

My pleasure, Treacle! John's website is very interesting as well.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 19, 2022 18:21

Which nr. of the signed Promotion LP's RSM 1 is for sale?

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: May 20, 2022 00:25

tioms
Which nr. of the signed Promotion LP's RSM 1 is for sale?

[www.stonesondecca.com]

dunno...but I will say I had my sights set on an RSD for about $350 on Ebay about 12 years ago but I let it go. It was hideous, fair condition, grimy looking.

So I bought I fake one for $25, pristine new condition.

Saddest vinyl mistake I ever made.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: May 20, 2022 05:58

treaclefingers
but I will say I had my sights set on an RSD for about $350 on Ebay about 12 years ago but I let it go. It was hideous, fair condition, grimy looking.

Treacle, there's a few real RSD-1s up on eBay these days, so you can still join the club!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: May 20, 2022 06:41

RSD 1 is not thesame as RSM 1

RSD 1 is LONDON (USA) pressing, made: maybe a few thousand.

RSM 1 is DECCA (UK) pressing, made: 200 and 20 of them are signed.

Date: May 20, 2022 16:11

tioms
RSD 1 is not thesame as RSM 1

RSD 1 is LONDON (USA) pressing, made: maybe a few thousand.

RSM 1 is DECCA (UK) pressing, made: 200 and 20 of them are signed.

Yes I know they're not the same.

I didn't realize that only the RSM1 was released in such a small quantity. I had read that both versions were released with only 200 pressings, so thank you for that information.

Date: May 20, 2022 16:17

stonesstein
treaclefingers
but I will say I had my sights set on an RSD for about $350 on Ebay about 12 years ago but I let it go. It was hideous, fair condition, grimy looking.

Treacle, there's a few real RSD-1s up on eBay these days, so you can still join the club!

Not for that price!

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: May 21, 2022 20:41

treaclefingers
stonesstein
treaclefingers

Not for that price!

I always thought this would make a good Record Store Day product. I suspect there are a lot of fans like me who don't collect vinyl or buy special editions of music they already have, but would buy this for fun. And it's certainly got the right serial number!

Date: May 21, 2022 22:04

blivet
treaclefingers
stonesstein
treaclefingers

Not for that price!

I always thought this would make a good Record Store Day product. I suspect there are a lot of fans like me who don't collect vinyl or buy special editions of music they already have, but would buy this for fun. And it's certainly got the right serial number!

Ha, good catch on that.

A similar item released in Australia was called the Rolling Stones Limited COllector's Item. Something like that anyway. Though a shameless ripoff, it has itself commanded a decent price on the resale market, I think over $200.

I grabbed a couple of copies of this one through the years.

Here it is on discogs:

[www.discogs.com]

I should just clarify, the actual tracklist is different on this Australian thing...just the cover is the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-21 22:11 by treaclefingers.

Date: May 22, 2022 16:17

For those who want to buy an PROMOTION LP RSD 1 LONDON.
Original
on label....side 1 ZAL 9241
on label....side 2 ZAL 9206-A
In dead zone:
side 1: ZAL-9241- 1
side 2: ZAL-9206- A
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
BOOTLEG: Color is not that heavy blue.
on label.. side 1: ZAL 9241
on label.. side 2: ZAL 9206-A
In dead zone: side 1.... A
In dead zone: side 2.... B
NO MATRIX nr's on a bootleg LP in the dead zone side 1 and 2.

So, if you want to buy an original RSD 1 (London) ASK SELLER for MATRIX nr's in the dead zone, so that you not pay the full price of an original RSD 1.

I've both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-22 16:19 by tioms.

Date: May 22, 2022 18:29

tioms
For those who want to buy an PROMOTION LP RSD 1 LONDON.
Original
on label....side 1 ZAL 9241
on label....side 2 ZAL 9206-A
In dead zone:
side 1: ZAL-9241- 1
side 2: ZAL-9206- A
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
BOOTLEG: Color is not that heavy blue.
on label.. side 1: ZAL 9241
on label.. side 2: ZAL 9206-A
In dead zone: side 1.... A
In dead zone: side 2.... B
NO MATRIX nr's on a bootleg LP in the dead zone side 1 and 2.

So, if you want to buy an original RSD 1 (London) ASK SELLER for MATRIX nr's in the dead zone, so that you not pay the full price of an original RSD 1.

I've both.

Thanks TIOMS.

I bought the bootleg as I mentioned and mine does have the A and B in the runoff groove area.

Date: June 2, 2022 02:06

I posted this in the Main Offender thread as I didn't want to start a new one because of it...so I'll post it here too just for the avid vinylists out there. It went up slightly in price since I first posted it this morning:

The RED VINYL edition is a screaming deal right now, $25 canadian on Amazon.ca

[www.amazon.ca]

Date: July 31, 2022 04:28

treaclefingers
I posted this in the Main Offender thread as I didn't want to start a new one because of it...so I'll post it here too just for the avid vinylists out there. It went up slightly in price since I first posted it this morning:

[www.amazon.ca]

Treacle, how to email you or PM you?

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: July 31, 2022 06:06

stonesstein
treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

Treacle, how to email you or PM you?

treaclefingers@gmail.com

Date: July 31, 2022 07:07

Treacle, email screaming towards you like Rocks Off from Philly 72!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: July 31, 2022 08:05

treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

Did ya hear post in your fire sale thread as well!?

Date: July 31, 2022 22:29

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

Did ya hear post in your fire sale thread as well!?

I think I actually posted this originally before I started that other thread....I notice it though it is BACK on that sale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-31 22:30 by treaclefingers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566Next
Current Page: 64 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home