Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 9, 2018 04:30

it is so massively rare that i have to respond to my own gentle query, readers,
I understand a lot of us can fit, somewhat, into that designation. readers i mean.

yep so supah rare that a whole international day and night later no one
much has ever heard of it, seemingly.
which, come to think of it, makes it even more rare.
...perhaps 'RARE" all caps is next; gettin rarer day by day
that keith lead on sftd b4 taylors; is purt good

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: November 9, 2018 06:33

Hello Hopkins. I too have a stones bootleg which matches your description.
The label is pastel green in color. Side 1 has 'Student Involvement Group at the Auditorium' on it and side 2 has 'New Brunswick Students at Moose Hall' on it.
Not a very good recording and so I hardly ever played it. Probably haven't listened to it in over 40 years. Will give it another spin tomorrow and listen for Keith's Sympathy lead.

Dug it out today and listened throughout.
Side 1: Carol, Shelter, Sympathy, I'm Free, Live With Me.
Side 2: LIV, Rambler, Queenie, HTW, SFM.

Between Queenie & Honky Tonk Mick says hello to San Francisco.

Does that help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-10 08:55 by northof49.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 14, 2018 00:18

Yes thank you!! That's exactly it. I have it in my hands now.
i got a LOT of good play out of this pressing. It sounded fine.
I'm seeing NO scratches. It wasn't a a way expensive turntable,
but back then they were making them VERY solid; it was relatively
VERY easy to get the most simple, fairly low wattage but very solidly built,
and sensitively engineered stereo amp and some decent book-shelf monitors
fairly, to very, cheaply. bass, treble knobs minimally at least, and responsive
ones....
.....i have NOT listened in years but will soon. The rawness and total
groove of this thing really, really impacted me. Ya Yas and Gimmer Shelter
movie were huge, huge priorities for me, and VERY satisfying, but truthfully
they did NOT eclipse my experience with my very first Boot.

Thanks for responding; it's a big school and all that, and close to Livingston
College also, which is also a fairly densely populated school....
....but i never ever ran into another fan who had heard of this or actually has it, till now. appreciate your post, thank you.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 20, 2019 22:55

Test-Pressing / Production-Sample -- RS-Compilation by East-German (GDR) Label Amiga (1978) :

[www.eBay.de] · [www.eBay.de]

Funny typo: 'Gimmy Shelter'. smiling smiley

Side A: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction / Lady Jane / Paint It Black / Little Red Rooster / As Tears Go By / Out Of Time / Let's Spend The Night Together

Side B: The Last Time / She's A Rainbow / Jumpin' Jack Flash / Ruby Tuesday / Under My Thumb / Gimme Shelter

Neutral Cover.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 20, 2019 23:49

cool irix...you have to give us the story behind it. at least, where did you acquire it and how much?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 21, 2019 00:20

treaclefingers

cool irix...you have to give us the story behind it. at least, where did you acquire it and how much?

Found it by chance on [www.eBay.de] + [www.eBay.de] due to the 'Honky Tonk Womxn' discussion - [iorr.org] .

This rare "Unsaleable Sample Plate" isn't cheap: €240 to €280. Not to be confused with the in large quantities manufactured (and similar looking) Amiga-Compilation from 1982 - [www.Discogs.com] .

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: January 15, 2020 07:39

Forgive my blind inquiry, but are we done, all done, writing about RARE Stones vinyl?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-06 15:55 by stonesstein.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 15, 2020 18:13

Sorry could you talk in black & white please? I don't understand the blue language

Date: January 15, 2020 18:14

stonesstein
Forgive my blind inquiry, but are done all done writing about RARE Stones vinyl?

Not at all...and BTW, if I read your post correctly in the top 3 rare thread, you are my hero.

Do you really have SFM original PS and if so, can you post a pic? A few years ago I saw faithfully produced fakes (and admitted fakes at that) for sale on EBAY for over $100. Unreal.

Date: January 15, 2020 19:19

This posted on the How to Tell First Pressing Sealed thread:

I have a very interesting variation of that cover OOOH, sealed. It has electronically re-processed on front and back as you've described.

Also, on the back cover, along the bottom right, and upside down it says MONO in white bold letters and the London stylized logo in box, also upside down at bottom centre. It appears that these writings are maybe a foldover from the front.

Interesting curio...I wonder how rare that is. I have a couple of mono London copies from that era, not the same and a couple of sealed reprints a Polygram and something with a bar code (late 80s pressing?)

I'm going to post this to the Let's Talk RARE Stones Vinyl thread as well, as it coincidentally made a revival today.

EDIT...and a question. I believe in the UK, the early DECCA releases were very rare, if even available in Stereo. I was wondering if by 1965 in the US the London releases were more common on Stereo or Mono, and if not, when the tipping point occurred, ie what year were they issuing more stereo than mono?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-15 19:23 by treaclefingers.

Date: November 6, 2021 16:02

treaclefingers
stonesstein
Forgive my blind inquiry, but are done all done writing about RARE Stones vinyl?

Not at all...and BTW, if I read your post correctly in the top 3 rare thread, you are my hero.

Do you really have SFM original PS and if so, can you post a pic? A few years ago I saw faithfully produced fakes (and admitted fakes at that) for sale on EBAY for over $100. Unreal.

treaclefingers, apologies for the forever delay (22 months!) in responding. I'll be happy to post if I can remember how to post pictures in posts.

Moreover, I really want to revive this thread, because there's so much cool stuff to share!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: November 6, 2021 16:53

Treacle, here's a pic which ought to interest you on the Street Fighter PS. Some years back, a friend of mine who has 2 Street Fighters and I got together and took this. The one in the middle is a (1997) high-definition scan of my actual Street Fighter PS, while his 2 are live and in person.

STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A PICTURE

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-06 16:55 by stonesstein.

Date: November 6, 2021 17:51

stonesstein
Treacle, here's a pic which ought to interest you on the Street Fighter PS. Some years back, a friend of mine who has 2 Street Fighters and I got together and took this. The one in the middle is a (1997) high-definition scan of my actual Street Fighter PS, while his 2 are live and in person.

STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A PICTURE

Yes, I see (or rather don't see) that!

I think you have to go to a third party site, post the picture, then post the link within the post. I think photobucket is one that I used to use, when I first set this up many years ago but don't know if they exist, or if my account is even active any longer.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: November 7, 2021 12:19

Not so much rarities but a pair of oddities, I purchased these about 15 years ago from ebay. I've added pictures of standard pressings to compare against my copies.

Tumbling Dice came in a bright green and blue Kinney company sleeve that has Warner, Reprise, Atlantic, Electra and Atco logos across the bottom of the sleeve.

The warner logo is the pre 1970 version so the sleeve could be a mismatch but as the records are mint I very much doubt it and Kinney National did exist up until 1972 before Warner became Warner Communications Inc.

Nobody else on discogs or 45Cat seems to a own copy of either record. Does anyone here own copies like mine or has anyone ever seen copies like these before. I've never seen a US Stones single with a knockout centre let alone a solid centre before.

1. Standard 1972 Speciality pressing

2. My solid centre copy

1. Standard 1974 Speciality pressing with later Rockefeller Plaza address

2. My solid centre copy. Note that it has the earlier 1841 Broadway address

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-07 12:23 by Nasty Habits.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 7, 2021 12:48

In the following of the above post , there is another oddity with that single, a french one, less rare I guess, if you notice closely , you will see that there is one pressing with small dices.

HMN

Date: November 7, 2021 12:48

treaclefingers

This one is kind of neat...Mick Taylor's autograph (supposedly...looks fairly authentic though), and boxed white label.

I've seen this a couple of times on EBAY, listed as 'promo' but I don't believe that to be true. I've also seen it referred to as a German release. No German writing but does have GEMA reference, which I think is could mean that.

I haven't seen that many around, fairly rare and it excellent condition. I have another album, Australian Let It Bleed with Mick Taylor autograph as well.

I've heard that these white labels were a one year only thing circa 1973 when they experiemented with export labels and decided to make them white. I have a copy of this as well and I've seen a white label copy of Satanic Majesties as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-07 12:49 by Nasty Habits.

Date: November 7, 2021 13:03

Honestman
In the following of the above post , there is another oddity with that single, a french one, less rare I guess, if you notice closely , you will see that there is one pressing with small dices.

Yeah I see the what you mean about the dice. Not sure if the second label is a reissue because there are a few differences. A lot of the later French RSR seem to have Face A and Face B on them. Or it could be a case that they come from two completely different pressing plants.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 7, 2021 13:49

Nasty Habits
...A lot of the later French RSR seem to have Face A and Face B on them...

yep, sometimes you got only A or B.

HMN

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 7, 2021 13:50

What about a JJF & Complicated b/w Under the Boardwalk & Little Queenie EP, aqua green Decca label? DFEA7549. Is that rare?

Rod

Date: November 7, 2021 16:26

Nasty Habits
Not so much rarities but a pair of oddities, I purchased these about 15 years ago from ebay. I've added pictures of standard pressings to compare against my copies.

Tumbling Dice came in a bright green and blue Kinney company sleeve that has Warner, Reprise, Atlantic, Electra and Atco logos across the bottom of the sleeve.

The warner logo is the pre 1970 version so the sleeve could be a mismatch but as the records are mint I very much doubt it and Kinney National did exist up until 1972 before Warner became Warner Communications Inc.

Nobody else on discogs or 45Cat seems to a own copy of either record. Does anyone here own copies like mine or has anyone ever seen copies like these before. I've never seen a US Stones single with a knockout centre let alone a solid centre before.

2. My solid centre copy

[/size][/b]

Nasty Habits, I own a solid-center Angie, and I was told by other collectors in a FB group that the South African pressings on RSR in the early to mid 70s used US catalog numbers and had solid centers. I also have the other Tumbling Dice you post.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: November 7, 2021 16:38

Trying to figure out how to post a picture! Using the "insert image URL" button and pasting location.

May I presume that y'all can't see the picture, either?

Any tips or advice is welcomed, and thanks in advance!

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-07 17:10 by stonesstein.

Date: November 7, 2021 17:14

stonesstein
Nasty Habits

2. My solid centre copy

[/size][/b]

Nasty Habits, I own a solid-center Angie, and I was told by other collectors in a FB group that the South African pressings on RSR in the early to mid 70s used US catalog numbers and had solid centers. I also have the other Tumbling Dice you post.

Does your solid centre Angie refer to NY/NY below the song credits? Just curious because in those days there was a lot of 'local' pressing of discs happening so I would have thought there'd be more localized geographic references.

Date: November 7, 2021 17:34

treaclefingers
Does your solid centre Angie refer to NY/NY below the song credits? Just curious because in those days there was a lot of 'local' pressing of discs happening so I would have thought there'd be more localized geographic references.

Treacle, it does, and I would love to post a picture, but I seem to be ever-too-challenged at present.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-07 18:50 by stonesstein.

Date: November 7, 2021 19:15

stonesstein

Yes you're correct South African RSR releases use US Cat numbers and have solid centres. However from the ones I've seen they all have a white centre around the spindle hole apart from IORR, which you'll see is very different to the copy I posted earlier. These are the SA examples I have found and Angie is actually a photo of my copy. The vinyl seems a heavier weight than the US copies and the two examples I posted earlier. Perhaps what I have are SA but a pressing plant variation.

Date: November 7, 2021 19:23

bitusa2012
What about a JJF & Complicated b/w Under the Boardwalk & Little Queenie EP, aqua green Decca label? DFEA7549. Is that rare?

It's Australian and from my experience there seems to be quite a lot less Australian pressings. They're thin on the ground even when searching Australian ebay. I'm lucky enough to own an early Mono copy of Satanic Majesties and have only found Stereo copies listed for sale in Australia on ebay.

Your single can be found here: Discogs DFEA7549

Date: November 7, 2021 19:58

Treacle, here is the picture of the 3 Street Fighters, with the middle one being a scan of mine, because I did not want to travel with the actual PS.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-07 23:26 by stonesstein.

Date: November 8, 2021 00:35

stonesstein
Treacle, here is the picture of the 3 Street Fighters, with the middle one being a scan of mine, because I did not want to travel with the actual PS.

Hey thanks! Glad you figured it out.

So, we need the story behind your acquisition of this!

The closest I have to this is the CD single sleeve from the 3rd 60s singles boxset.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 8, 2021 02:40

Nasty Habits
bitusa2012

It's Australian and from my experience there seems to be quite a lot less Australian pressings. They're thin on the ground even when searching Australian ebay. I'm lucky enough to own an early Mono copy of Satanic Majesties and have only found Stereo copies listed for sale in Australia on ebay.

Your single can be found here: Discogs DFEA7549

Thanks mate.

Rod

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: November 8, 2021 17:13

I purchased the very rare 45 of Dandelion/We Love You with the original picture sleeve (only the front of it, no back part of the sleeve)!! This is just a picture of it online as I'm not sure how to upload pictures of my own.

Date: November 8, 2021 18:01

JordyLicks96
I purchased the very rare 45 of Dandelion/We Love You with the original picture sleeve (only the front of it, no back part of the sleeve)!! This is just a picture of it online as I'm not sure how to upload pictures of my own.

Rare indeed!

I think this is the 4th rarest in order, behind SFM, BoB and Heart of Stone.

I think after that you get Winning Ugly, Not Fade Away and Satisfaction picture sleeves duking it out for 5th.

I'm not including any European/Japanese sleeves in that mix though, if anyone else can weigh in.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home