Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2017 23:52

frankotero
Yeah, that was all the rage at the time. A pink extended version of Miss You. I played the hell out of it. Funny to think how I've fallen out of love with that song as I've heard it too many times in concert. Maybe it will make a comeback with me later. Back to collecting... my latest installment is an Italian EP of Carol with blue border sleeve. Finally found one of these sort of reasonably priced.

Forgot about the "HOT STUFF" blue 12" from 1976...also the new blue 12" Ride'em On Down.

Date: March 2, 2017 23:55

I have a question for anyone that may be in the know...why are the Vinyl Boxes from 2010, 1964-69 and the 1971-2005 pricier than the much lauded MFSL boxset of 60s discs, released in the mid-80s?

How is it the price seemed to skyrocket? Can't just be because they are out of print. Can we expect the same for the MONO vinyl boxset?

I also noticed that GRRR! vinyl box is a kings ransom, $600 or something on amazon?

Is this just a supply/demand thing and where the heck is all the demand coming from?

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 3, 2017 00:31

treaclefingers
I have a question for anyone that may be in the know...why are the Vinyl Boxes from 2010, 1964-69 and the 1971-2005 pricier than the much lauded MFSL boxset of 60s discs, released in the mid-80s?

How is it the price seemed to skyrocket? Can't just be because they are out of print. Can we expect the same for the MONO vinyl boxset?

I also noticed that GRRR! vinyl box is a kings ransom, $600 or something on amazon?

Is this just a supply/demand thing and where the heck is all the demand coming from?

Could be they are limited pressings? I don't think they press vinyl in the quantities they did even in the mid 80's.

Or it could just be the Stones overpricing the stuff like they did the Brussels Affair Vinyl box set.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 3, 2017 03:50

I suggest that the Brussels boxes were priced about right, as they are still in demand. Expensive, but the Stones were shooting fish in a barrel by putting Brussels on RSR vinyl only in the BIG box. We, me at the front of the line, "had to have it." Many among us would snatch these up on eBay or elsewhere if readily available.

However, the whole "Why are the Stones' vinyl boxes and newer vinyl stuff so pricy now?" opens a great door for discussion here in talking RARE Stones' vinyl. (Shout out (LOUD!) to TreacleFingahzzzz for doing an amazing job of being so nice and informative to one and all on here. Dude, you rock. Out loud!)

I think that iTunes/Apple's discontinuance of larger iPods and trying to lure people into surrendering control of their music to the cloud to have virtual collections is creating a small but persistent riptide away from the main where people ask, "What happens if.... the cloud goes down, gets compromised, and what if I cannot afford it any more?

We, as (mostly) middle to older aged Stones' fans in this community have the leisure time and coin to enjoy collecting as opposed to consuming music. We can buy the Mono Vinyl LP boxes and the others.

The young kids who buy vinyl used buy it to play the sh!t out of it, but they are not buying these box sets. That's us, with exceptions of course. After all, the new vinyl LP pressings are $25-30 apiece as opposed to $3.98 - $7.98 in the Stones' formidable vinyl selling days of 64-89.

At least that's how I see it .....

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: March 4, 2017 23:54

Stonestein you are too kind, thank you.

I agree the 'kids' and there are a lot of them, buying vinyl nowadays are probably not going to be the ones shelling out hundreds for these boxsets, which makes it all the more interesting to me as I can't imagine the market for this stuff (aging as we are) could be growth industry.

I had bought 3 of the the 1964-69 ones all under $200 when they originally came out and now you see them priced anywhere from $1000-$3000, which seems completely ludicrous to me. I guess something from 2010 could theoretically be 'rare' but they printed I think 10000 sets, so it's not like they're ultra rare, and then you have more product like the mono stuff coming out, further diluting the market.

The interesting thing is that their 60s brethren the Beatles, arguably a much more 'popular' band hasn't had their similarly released boxsets seen any price increase since released. In fact prices have gone down, and you can still buy the stereo boxset when it's on sale periodically for around $200. Their mono boxset closer to $400. And I have to say, as a presentation piece, the Beatles Boxset is just much higher quality overall (music notwithstanding) in the box itself and the artwork and inner sleeves.

Perhaps they just printed far more copies of the Beatles than the Stones, knowing the market would be bigger but is this just a simple supply and demand issue?

If so, DECCA/ABKCO have woefully underestimated the sales potential, given the 1000% or so market increase.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: March 10, 2017 23:23

treaclefingers
theo1954
[stonesondecca.com]

Am I mistaken or does this say 1956?

good catch! that would be a nice one to have!

Amazing!! I have NOT noticed this before. How could I miss that!!!
The actual LP is not in my collection as I got this picture from a friend a few years back. Now I really need to look around for this one as well.
It never stops, but I ain't complaining for that winking smiley

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: March 11, 2017 08:24

Jan Richards
treaclefingers
theo1954
[stonesondecca.com]

The actual LP is not in my collection as I got this picture from a friend a few years back. Now I really need to look around for this one as well.

thumbs up

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 11, 2017 11:47

Jan Richards
treaclefingers
theo1954
[stonesondecca.com]

It's exactly the kind of thing that slips past everyone because they are "seeing" exactly what they think they should see, and not what they are actually seeing.

I'll now have to go off and look at both sides of all of my albums!

(There's a similar - ie hearing what you think you ought to hear - phenomenon in 'Can I Get A Witness' on No1. Right at the end Jagger sings something "extra".)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 11, 2017 14:13

Just checked my 2 Aftermath JT.
Apperently, they both read 1956.
Actually, both 1966 are slightly erased and the 6 has became something similiar to a 5. Can you please confirm yours sports a real 5, please? Thanks, Luca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-11 14:26 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 11, 2017 14:45

CaptainCorella

(There's a similar - ie hearing what you think you ought to hear - phenomenon in 'Can I Get A Witness' on No1. Right at the end Jagger sings something "extra".)

Ha! Mick caught short? grinning smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 11, 2017 20:27

One more thing that usually passes unoticed: have you ever realised that the very early copies of the British Satanic have labels that Decca used for records of their catalogne of classical music?
On top of that:
What's the unoticed difference in the cover of the 1970 re-issue of Big Hits?
The first who answers correctly gets a copy of my most recent book.
By Luca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-11 22:29 by 1963luca0.

Date: March 13, 2017 08:04

dont know luca...but i want the damn book anyway!

Date: March 13, 2017 11:15

1963luca0

On top of that:
What's the unoticed difference in the cover of the 1970 re-issue of Big Hits?
The first who answers correctly gets a copy of my most recent book.
By Luca

"STEREO TXS 101" at the top right of the back cover with the rest of the text shifted down?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-13 11:24 by Deltics.

Date: March 13, 2017 21:30

No, this is well-known...
A little help: the detail you have to look for is not listed on stonesondecca

Date: March 14, 2017 07:25

1963luca0
No, this is well-known...
A little help: the detail you have to look for is not listed on stonesondecca

besides the reddish tinge, the shot on the right is definitely 'zoomed in' on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-14 07:25 by treaclefingers.

Date: March 14, 2017 13:16

No, sorry.
A little help: the unspotted difference is on the inside of the cover.
Luca

Date: March 14, 2017 14:29

They switched the left hand pictures on the inside gatefold cover.
This was originally used on the inside cover, without the catalogue number, and moved it to the poster.

And replaced it with this one, that had been part of the original poster, for the 1970 pressing.

Am I getting closer?

Date: March 14, 2017 17:43

Well, if look at the lower right corner of the inside of the cover, you find a DECCA boxed logo. It's black and white. The 1970 re-issue is the only one that presents a black/azure logo, instead.

Concerning the green labels of SATANIC, please look at top, close to the round logo. On the left you can sometimes find the writing that DECCA used for their classical issues. It was wrong, it's been removed before that a few thousands copies were made.

Many, many more unspotted things on singles and albums... it's a long way to Tipperary...

Luca

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-14 19:15 by 1963luca0.

Date: March 16, 2017 18:35

1963luca0
No, sorry.
A little help: the unspotted difference is on the inside of the cover.
Luca

OK, well that may be Luca, but in what was displayed by Deltics you can clearly see that one of the back covers is definitely zoomed in!

So what your referring to perhaps is "ANOTHER" difference?!

Date: March 16, 2017 20:12

1963luca0
One more thing that usually passes unoticed: have you ever realised that the very early copies of the British Satanic have labels that Decca used for records of their catalogne of classical music?

By Luca

Correct Luca. The very first stereo label used for Satanic was a mistake from the label department at Decca. They used a design that was intended for high quality music only, read classical music, instead for pop music for kids.
The text "Original Recording By" at the left side of the label is not there on any other pressings. This is a good indication / confirmation for a first stereo print of TXS.103
My page was dead by the time I discovered this so I cannot add new text to the page.......

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: March 16, 2017 20:27

Yes, indeed, Jan.
Had you already catched the blue Decca logo on 'Big Hits'?
I've never seen it spotted on any discography.
In case you had not, I' d be glad to send pictures to you.
I have two copies: same labels, different matrices.
In case you decide to extend your site to new subjects, I could also let you have info on a promo-only album by Granada with live music fron Hyde Park 1969, with pictures. All the best,

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-17 19:04 by 1963luca0.

Date: March 17, 2017 20:38

I recently added this mono version to my collection.

A question about these test sleeves for the US 12x5 LP.
The vinyl is pressed by Decca in UK but the sleeve has no indication what so ever on where they may have been printed. The paper quality and design of the flips on the back side is not even close to sleeves made in UK. But they look very much as the sleeves made in Australia in the 60's.
It may be that these early versions of 12x5 where intended for the Australasia market. So my question, could it be so that the sleeves were made in Australia?

By the way, the addition of this mono LP to my collection was rather nice and important for me, kinda a Milestone in my collection. It was the last one missing:
Decca non-boxed mono & stereo made in England, check, all
Decca boxed mono & stereo made in England, check, all
London label export LP's Made in England by Decca, check, all
30 years of looking for UK Decca made Stones LP's over, project completed smiling smiley
Feels kinda good now.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-21 22:36 by Jan Richards.

Date: March 17, 2017 20:54

1963luca0
Well, if look at the lower right corner of the inside of the cover, you find a DECCA boxed logo. It's black and white. The 1970 re-issue is the only one that presents a black/azure logo, instead.

Luca

This is new for me as well. I just had a look on my 15 UK pressed copies of Big Hits and all of them has the black and white logo......

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: March 17, 2017 20:59

Well, these sleeves are very similar to the ones made in OZ and NZ, actually.
Still, it's very hard to say they were made downunder. In those countries, records were distributed by DECCA, not LONDON.
In my opinion, we have to look amid the countries managed by LONDON.
Central/ South America? Canada?
Bye,

Date: March 17, 2017 21:09

1963luca0
Still, it's very hard to say they were made downunder. In those countries, records were distributed by DECCA, not LONDON.
Bye,

A scenario could be that Decca UK sent LP's in inner bags to Decca Australia who printed sleeves and then distributed / sold them in Singapore / HongKong and similar places?

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: March 17, 2017 21:17

1963luca0
Bye,

Australian Decca records were manufactured and distributed by EMI (Australia).
[www.milesago.com]

In New Zealand it was His Master's Voice (NZ)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-17 21:22 by Deltics.

Date: March 17, 2017 22:03

Yes, Deltics, it's correct. Still they were acting under the brand of DECCA.
In any case, I'm the first to admit I don't where these covers are from.
Bye,

Date: March 18, 2017 04:00

Jan Richards
I recently added this mono version to my collection.

A question about these test sleeves for the US 12x5 LP.
The vinyl is pressed by Decca in UK but the sleeve has no indication what so ever on where they may have been printed. The paper quality and design of the flips on the back side is not even close to sleeves made in UK. But they look very much as the sleeves made in Australia in the 60's.
It may be that these early versions of 12x5 where intended for the Australasia market. So my question, could it be so that the sleeves were made in Australia?

By the way, the addition of this mono LP to my collection was rather nice and important for me, kinda a Milestone in my collection. It was the last one missing:
Decca non-boxed mono & stereo made in England, check, all
Decca boxed mono & stereo made in England, check, all
London label export LP's Made in England by Decca, check, all
30 years of looking for UK Decca made Stones LP's over, project completed smiling smiley
Feels kinda good now.

GORGEOUS! THANK YOU for posting this Jan and congratulations. Love seeing this kind of stuff...didn't know it existed!

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 18, 2017 14:58

thanks Jan for sharing pictures and comments !

Date: March 18, 2017 18:27

Dear Jan,
picture of the blue logo is in your mailbox.
If you want to post it here, you can oblviously.
Ciao,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-18 21:55 by 1963luca0.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5051525354555657585960...LastNext
Current Page: 55 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1311
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home