Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 20, 2016 14:11

Cheers! That's what I thought.

Are these part of "Klein revenge"?

Date: January 20, 2016 14:33

I thought Klein's Revenge was Metamorphosis and/or this one.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 20, 2016 19:39

I meant a series of below par compilations that Decca released in the 70s like No Stone Unturned, Stone Age or Rock N Rolling Stones.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 31, 2016 22:10

Sorry if my post will be a little bit off-topic, but I don't know another good place to ask for help, since when stonesondecca is life-less.

Starting with the 1986 US re-issues of the LONDON Records catalogue, 'December's Children' is dated P1966. It's not an annoticed mistake: all its songs (As Tears Go By, I'm free et al.) are dated P1966 on compilation album such as 'Big Hits' and 'More Hot Rocks'.

On top of that, this re-issue series moves 'Sitting on a Fence' (P1966) and 'Junping Jack Flash'(P1969).

To tell the truth, I don't care that much to these latter re-datings. My attention goes to 'December's Children'.

In fact, both the mono and the stereo originals are labelled in misleading ways (for instance, you can't find an 'open' mono that should exist, instead)

How do experts here value this P1966 dating for 'December's Children'?
Sorry if the subject was already discussed here, I missed it...
Bye, Luca

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 14, 2016 17:50

seanfir
I had one of the Big Hits Lp's with the alternate cover/color scheme… a nice copy! Got $2,669 for it. Here are some pics from the auction. It's already in its' new home and I don't feel too bad about selling it!

[i.ebayimg.com]
[www.ebay.com] (Ebay AD, now expired)

I have not posted on this thread in years, so forgive if some of which I write has been covered. A couple of things to mention.

First, Treacle, Jan, Luca, and Boston seem to be guys carrying the ball on this thread. THANK YOU TO ALL, as it is perhaps as fascinating of a read as one can find given all differing perspectives and levels of collecting.

Next, I am the one who bought this LP sleeve from Seanfir. For those who know me, it was one of the few significant remaining "holes" in my US Stones' collection. For all on this, you must know - "Seanfir" was an incredibly awesome seller with which to deal. I cannot recommend him highly enough, and if any on this thread/list are looking for rare records from any band, Seanfir is among the best sellers with whom I have ever dealt on eBay in 15+ years. He communicates frequently, will discuss how to package items, and he will give you a heads up when he gets new stuff in.

Next, getting this item aroused my curiosity on this and some other "Holy Grail" Stones items to inquire as to how many of each are speculated to be in collectors' hands?

Among these insanely rare Stones' items, how many do you think are around:

1. Stoned/I Wanna Be Your Man - US Stock copy, not promo;
2. Street Fighting Man - US Picture Sleeve
3. Beast of Burden - US PS
4. Sticky Fingers - US WLP MONO
5. Jamming with Edward - US WLP MONO
6. Brian Jones - Pipes of Pan - 8-TRACK
7. US Big Hits - alt. cover (above)
8. Promotional LP - RSM-1
9. Promotional LP - RSD-1
10. Songs of the Rolling Stones - R&R Circus Cover

Thanks to all for reading and commenting. I have not actively collected in years, but it might be time to dust off the collection and perhaps (as Treacle has written before) consider selling some of the numerous duplicate Orange Label US London promos and US London PS I have accumulated over the years.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2016 23:15

stonesstein
seanfir
I had one of the Big Hits Lp's with the alternate cover/color scheme… a nice copy! Got $2,669 for it. Here are some pics from the auction. It's already in its' new home and I don't feel too bad about selling it!

[i.ebayimg.com]
[www.ebay.com] (Ebay AD, now expired)

I have not posted on this thread in years, so forgive if some of which I write has been covered. A couple of things to mention.

First, Treacle, Jan, Luca, and Boston seem to be guys carrying the ball on this thread. THANK YOU TO ALL, as it is perhaps as fascinating of a read as one can find given all differing perspectives and levels of collecting.

Next, I am the one who bought this LP sleeve from Seanfir. For those who know me, it was one of the few significant remaining "holes" in my US Stones' collection. For all on this, you must know - "Seanfir" was an incredibly awesome seller with which to deal. I cannot recommend him highly enough, and if any on this thread/list are looking for rare records from any band, Seanfir is among the best sellers with whom I have ever dealt on eBay in 15+ years. He communicates frequently, will discuss how to package items, and he will give you a heads up when he gets new stuff in.

Next, getting this item aroused my curiosity on this and some other "Holy Grail" Stones items to inquire as to how many of each are speculated to be in collectors' hands?

Among these insanely rare Stones' items, how many do you think are around:

1. Stoned/I Wanna Be Your Man - US Stock copy, not promo;
2. Street Fighting Man - US Picture Sleeve
3. Beast of Burden - US PS
4. Sticky Fingers - US WLP MONO
5. Jamming with Edward - US WLP MONO
6. Brian Jones - Pipes of Pan - 8-TRACK
7. US Big Hits - alt. cover (above)
8. Promotional LP - RSM-1
9. Promotional LP - RSD-1
10. Songs of the Rolling Stones - R&R Circus Cover

Thanks to all for reading and commenting. I have not actively collected in years, but it might be time to dust off the collection and perhaps (as Treacle has written before) consider selling some of the numerous duplicate Orange Label US London promos and US London PS I have accumulated over the years.

I think as far as SFM is concerned, with picture sleeve that is, supposedly 16 copies exist, explaining the periodic sales price on ebay ranging from $10-25 thousand.

As far as RSD & RSM, apparently 200 of each produced, although I'm sure no one could accurately guess how many there are actually out there. By the frequency you see RSD on ebay, you'd assume it's had offspring!

Good questions though, for anyone...maybe Jan is the expert here?

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 14, 2016 23:22

OT.. but...
Mr Fingers, I saw kind of a rare item pop up on ebay today you might at least enjoy looking at and knowing about [sgAAOSwFNZWvjxg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]

Of course I know am not associated in any way with this thing and I know nothing about it but what it says, actually it seems kind of pricey, so I wont bid, but someone might like it. I would like to pay about that for the whole blimp.

Date: February 15, 2016 05:44

everwest1
OT.. but...
Mr Fingers, I saw kind of a rare item pop up on ebay today you might at least enjoy looking at and knowing about [sgAAOSwFNZWvjxg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.ebay.com]

Of course I know am not associated in any way with this thing and I know nothing about it but what it says, actually it seems kind of pricey, so I wont bid, but someone might like it. I would like to pay about that for the whole blimp.

dunno...is the rudder made of vinyl?

Date: February 15, 2016 09:27

treaclefingers
everwest1
OT.. but...

dunno... is it?

Date: February 15, 2016 22:33

everwest1
treaclefingers
everwest1
OT.. but...

dunno... is it?

dunno, maybe?

Date: February 15, 2016 23:34

dunno, but I heard from a guy that ya like to collect other cool Stones stuff besides just vinyl, as I do and I have for years(mostly on the cheap, so nothing as cool as Matt level stuff, but it is still cool for me) and I thought this piece was interesting enough to at least let ya know about it so ya could peruse it, but I dunno.

Heck, I am still trying to track down one two of those affordable VL hanging mobiles in mint condition so I can keep it one mint... for some reason, that makes no sense. Actually I guess I need 2... one to play with and one to keep mint... but I dunno. None of this makes sense, it is more of an affliction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-16 03:27 by everwest1.

Date: February 16, 2016 14:09

everwest1
None of this makes sense, it is more of an affliction.

Or an addiction - one which I've had for over 40 years

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 16, 2016 14:57

stonesstein
everwest1

Me too grinning smiley and it sure is fun.

At least I can't OD on it and we picked the right band
to do this with. Imagine if we had gone with... heck, anyone else...
all the other bands are long gone... but THE STONE PLAYING TOMORROW NIGHT!!! WOO HOOO!!

Date: February 16, 2016 15:02

When I recently completed my cassette collection of all the Stones albums, I had to ask myself «what the heck are you doing??».

But I like it! smileys with beer

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: February 16, 2016 15:19

About the RSD-1 / RSM.1 production.

The UK Decca made RSM.1 Promotional Album we pretty much know that it was produced in just 200 copies. This can be proved through the letter from Decca that was included with some of the LP’s. So I will take this figure 200 copies as a starting point for my speculation.

I do not know how many US London RSD-1 LP were pressed. If you have a look on e-bay, we can more or less see that the UK Decca version is on sale in average one copy per year. Some years I see three and then again it may go two years and no copy offered at all.

Then again the London Promotional Album can be found on e-bay on any given day of the year. Usually even three or four copies on the same time. I have not checked but I’d say that at least 20 copies are sold every year.

So one Decca LP against 20 London LP’s on a yearly basis. I then do a simple calculation like if 200 Deccas were pressed, then we would have 4000 US made Promotional Albums. Well, this estimate may be a bit too high, but I’d say that at least two thousand RSD-1 LP’s were pressed.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 16, 2016 15:20

By the way....

Stonesstein, congratulations on the Big Hits !!!!

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 16, 2016 15:27

everwest1
stonesstein
everwest1

all the other bands are long gone... but THE STONE PLAYING TOMORROW NIGHT!!! WOO HOOO!!

I have just OD'd (can you say that?) on the vinyl format... bought two LP's recently for four figure amounts in USD and the first numbers were not 1 or 2………

Oh well, It's only Rock'n Roll But I Like It smiling smiley

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 17, 2016 06:18

Jan Richards
By the way....

Jan, thank you! All of us among both this list and in Stonesworld are so unbelievably indebted to you. Thanks, man, thanks! Your site is a legend!

Can you tell us what 2 LPs you got?

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 17, 2016 07:20

Jan Richards, I understand your method of calculation but maybe some of those U.S. copies are being re-sold or re-listed? And maybe not all of the 200 Decca copies made it into circulation? Besides yourself I don't know anyone else that has one and never saw it for sale at a fair or eBay. Maybe I wasn't looking at the time. One thing is sure, Decca is rarer. Congrats on your Big Hits LP. That's a monster.

Date: February 17, 2016 13:46

frankotero
Jan Richards, I understand your method of calculation but maybe some of those U.S. copies are being re-sold or re-listed? And maybe not all of the 200 Decca copies made it into circulation? Besides yourself I don't know anyone else that has one and never saw it for sale at a fair or eBay. Maybe I wasn't looking at the time. One thing is sure, Decca is rarer. Congrats on your Big Hits LP. That's a monster.

Some of them may be resold yes. But I still think that the majority of the LP's being actually sold ends up in collections that are being "under construction" and will not be resold. A few of them are naturally being re-sold. But that is still only a handfull on a yearly basis. I think that at least 2000 copies are existing of this LP.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 17, 2016 14:06

Perhaps you're right. Guess there's no accurate way to find out. Maybe there could be census for rare LPs, for people like ussmiling smiley On this subject I own a Pakistan made Beatles 45. While I doubt there are only 2 in existence I've yet to find out anything different. Funny thing is there are plenty of other less rare records that cost much more. This part of the reason I don't collect with intentions of getting return profit, too risky. I do it out of enjoyment. Happy hunting!

Date: February 17, 2016 15:38

That a piece is rare is not enough, as it must also be desirable. No one cares about the 7th US pressing of Mixed Emotions 45. On the other hand, people go bats for variations of the classic stuff.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 17, 2016 17:51

Jan Richards
everwest1
stonesstein
everwest1

I have just OD'd (can you say that?) on the vinyl format... bought two LP's recently for four figure amounts in USD and the first numbers were not 1 or 2………

Oh well, It's only Rock'n Roll But I Like It smiling smiley

Congratulations of your new collection pieces! smileys with beer
I know they must be awesome and fun and will last... and that is the best money we ever spend.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 17, 2016 18:48

DandelionPowderman
When I recently completed my cassette collection of all the Stones albums, I had to ask myself «what the heck are you doing??».

But I like it! smileys with beer

I hope we get to see a picture of the complete collection at some point thumbs up

Date: February 17, 2016 19:01

Date: February 17, 2016 19:05

Some UK and US releases are still missing, though.

Date: February 18, 2016 18:52

stonesstein
Jan Richards
By the way....

Jan, thank you! All of us among both this list and in Stonesworld are so unbelievably indebted to you. Thanks, man, thanks! Your site is a legend!

Well, let's put it like this:
I have now been able to complete the collection of Rolling Stones Lp's pressed in UK in the 60's on the Decca label.
I have all UK mono / stereo and all UK nonboxed / boxed LP's
So, a milestone in my project reached. Still a bit to do then on the Decca UK pressed London LP project smiling smiley

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: February 18, 2016 20:56

Hi frankotero;
Go to Jan Richardsons webside about LP's.(The Rolling Stones Promotion Album)
Go to the signed LP's RSM 1. DECCA
Nr 9 is mine.

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Greets Luc,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 21:07 by tioms.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:23

Jan Richards
stonesstein
Jan Richards
By the way....

Well, let's put it like this:
I have now been able to complete the collection of Rolling Stones Lp's pressed in UK in the 60's on the Decca label.
I have all UK mono / stereo and all UK nonboxed / boxed LP's
So, a milestone in my project reached. Still a bit to do then on the Decca UK pressed London LP project smiling smiley

Congrats Jan my friend smileys with beer

Date: February 19, 2016 07:06

Hi Tioms, should have known you would have a Decca copy. That's makes 2 people so far. Wonder what happened to the other 198? Hopefully they're in collections and not garbage cans from the past. Cheers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home