Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:24

treaclefingers
OK, I don't own this puppy, but would like to...Stef, Boston anyone?:

The alternate (original?) US London Pressing of Big Hits, (High Tide and Green Grass)

Notice the unique lettering on the front...highly desired, highly sought after, highly rare, and highly expensive....look at what it sold for a few years ago. I remember only once seeing this on EBAY:

[www.popsike.com]

No, not in my collection! Very high in value!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:42

steffiestones
treaclefingers

The alternate (original?) US London Pressing of Big Hits, (High Tide and Green Grass)

Notice the unique lettering on the front...highly desired, highly sought after, highly rare, and highly expensive....look at what it sold for a few years ago. I remember only once seeing this on EBAY:

[www.popsike.com]

No, not in my collection! Very high in value!!

An interesting discussion from someone on Yahoo from a few years ago who claimed to have a pristine copy, his uncertainty of the value, and no one quite believing him that it was worth that much ....
[answers.yahoo.com]

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 6, 2013 19:03

Its sold last year on an auction for $4500.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 6, 2013 19:24

treaclefingers

Yeah, it's a super rare one! You've got your SFM US pic sleeve, Beast pic sleeve, the rumoured but never seen Poison Ivy/Fortune Teller DECCA 45, The Promotional Album and this.

I think that is the big 5.

Anyone else care to opine?

I believe John R has that Big Hits one, doesn´t he Steffie? Hmmm.
And he has the mono HYSYM live album - an absolute rarity and the only one Ive heard about. I remember the forum madness when he bought it.
The white labelled Promotional Album along with the signed ones are rare for sure, I think 13 signed ones are accounted for as of today ( See "Stones on Decca").

I dont have any of these. And Im missing the Flowers export for Japan PS509 sad smiley
The stupid thing with these last LPS that sort of "round of the collection" is that they are so insanely pricey.

But of course, any collection is just a matter of scope. What is a collection? Is it every Stones album worldwide? Do you only collect UK albums? UK and US albums but no singles? All UK albums and singles and only the US that differ? Only the US catalogue? What about mispressings or test pressings? Wow now that is opening a whole other can of worms smiling smiley

Date: February 6, 2013 23:17

RobberBride
treaclefingers

Yeah, it's a super rare one! You've got your SFM US pic sleeve, Beast pic sleeve, the rumoured but never seen Poison Ivy/Fortune Teller DECCA 45, The Promotional Album and this.

I believe John R has that Big Hits one, doesn´t he Steffie? Hmmm.
And he has the mono HYSYM live album - an absolute rarity and the only one Ive heard about. I remember the forum madness when he bought it.
The white labelled Promotional Album along with the signed ones are rare for sure, I think 13 signed ones are accounted for as of today ( See "Stones on Decca").

I dont have any of these. And Im missing the Flowers export for Japan PS509 sad smiley
The stupid thing with these last LPS that sort of "round of the collection" is that they are so insanely pricey.

But of course, any collection is just a matter of scope. What is a collection? Is it every Stones album worldwide? Do you only collect UK albums? UK and US albums but no singles? All UK albums and singles and only the US that differ? Only the US catalogue? What about mispressings or test pressings? Wow now that is opening a whole other can of worms smiling smiley

It leads to never ending fun.

I'd like to get Dandelion/We Love You US pic sleeve and then I'm good for all the singles (I know I'll never get SFM, and I'll have to be satisfied with my Some Girls Superdeluxe reissue of BOB!).

My best ever get was Heart of Stone US pic sleeve on a EBAY UK buy it now for about $15. (I started this thread with the post of that image) It was 4:00 am, and JUST came online. I scooped it. That thing averages around $400-500 but I've seen it as high as $800.

I have most of the promos as well, but save a few in from the 60s.

To your point, I've tried to stay within UK/US releases. That is ridiculous enough. I do have stuff from other countries here and there but I'm not trying to 'complete' any of that.

Date: February 7, 2013 13:24

treaclefingers
RobberBride
Any collection is just a matter of scope. What is a collection? Is it every Stones album worldwide? Do you only collect UK albums? UK and US albums but no singles? All UK albums and singles and only the US that differ? Only the US catalogue? What about mispressings or test pressings? Wow now that is opening a whole other can of worms smiling smiley

It leads to never ending fun.

I have most of the promos as well, but save a few in from the 60s.

To your point, I've tried to stay within UK/US releases. That is ridiculous enough. I do have stuff from other countries here and there but I'm not trying to 'complete' any of that.

I like your sentiment so very much! It IS a lot of fun!
2013 has started somewhat lean for me so don´t have the cashflow right now to sustain my habit. Hope my economy recovers soon.

Im into UK and US albums, but primarily firstprints. That is so hard with the stupid descriptions people leave on Ebay, but most give in if I ask repeatedly for matrixes.
I think its wise to start with a sort of narrow scope when establishing a collection, otherwise your ship starts to leak in every direction right away so to speak. A clear focus is good with so much aroundwinking smiley
As you say, its hard enough to get that UK collection down! So after I got most of the UK firstprints I got the ->1969 London albums too since many differed. I think The London Export for Japan is also nice to look at.
My next target is the UK singles since I haven´t started that yet. Just got the EPs and the firstpress "Come On" with M/T taxcode.

PS! I had 2 ex of that Russian "SF" by the way, Treacle. Dont have any vinylshipping carton now but when I buy an album I can recycle that carton & ship one to you. Might take a little while though.

Date: February 7, 2013 15:20

BTW, among the many lists of rare Stones records, I came over this one from RollingTom:
[www.rollingtom.se]

It seems his scope is UK albums.

Date: February 7, 2013 16:42

RobberBride
BTW, among the many lists of rare Stones records, I came over this one from RollingTom:
[www.rollingtom.se]

Cool, thanks for the link Robber!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 18:15

treaclefingers
boston2006
treaclefingers

[www.popsike.com]

I've never seen this before !

I've got the Promotional LP .

Date: February 7, 2013 19:26

boston2006
treaclefingers
boston2006
treaclefingers

[www.popsike.com]

I almost bought a completely mangled one for about $350 on Ebay a few years ago. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on something so horrendous looking though!

Not sure if I made the right decision.

What sort of condition is yours in Boston, and if I may ask, how long have you had it and what did it set you back?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 8, 2013 10:09

treaclefingers
boston2006
treaclefingers
boston2006
treaclefingers

[www.popsike.com]

I almost bought a completely mangled one for about $350 on Ebay a few years ago. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on something so horrendous looking though!

What sort of condition is yours in Boston, and if I may ask, how long have you had it and what did it set you back?

The cover is a bit worn but overall I'd grade it a VG .
The vinyl is VG+ .

I got a great deal IMHO . $ 100.00

Date: February 9, 2013 04:18

boston2006
treaclefingers
boston2006
treaclefingers
boston2006
treaclefingers

[www.popsike.com]

The cover is a bit worn but overall I'd grade it a VG .
The vinyl is VG+ .

I got a great deal IMHO . $ 100.00

Yeah, that is a great deal.

I own a faux version of it. Mint condition!

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: February 12, 2013 23:30

RobberBride
[www.rollingtom.se]

Rollingtom is a good friend of mine, also one of them StonesVikings....
He has a superb collection of UK pressed LP's, I think the only one missing is the MONO HYSYML

About the signed Promotional Albums, I have 13 of the 24 signed copies confirmed and 11 of them with pictures. I never thought that I would find that many of them, latest one confirmed only a few weeks back. Still counting....

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 12, 2013 23:43

About the cover on the first UK pressings of Rolling Stones LK4605. There are a few versions existing that were made during the first months of production in 1964.
I'd like to get your opinion on first second third fourth version.

These are the choices made in 1964:
I Need You Baby - MONO missing in the upper right hand corner
I Need You Baby - Mono missing and MONA hand stamp added
I Need You Baby - MONO text is in place
Mona instead of I Need You Baby

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 13, 2013 01:39

Jan Richards
RobberBride
[www.rollingtom.se]

Rollingtom is a good friend of mine, also one of them StonesVikings....
He has a superb collection of UK pressed LP's, I think the only one missing is the MONO HYSYML

About the signed Promotional Albums, I have 13 of the 24 signed copies confirmed and 11 of them with pictures. I never thought that I would find that many of them, latest one confirmed only a few weeks back. Still counting....

Good lord you're the man Jan!

Date: February 13, 2013 01:42

Jan Richards
About the cover on the first UK pressings of Rolling Stones LK4605. There are a few versions existing that were made during the first months of production in 1964.

Great you've sorted out the various versions...
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding Jan, but what exactly would you like our opinion on?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 13, 2013 01:54

THE ROLLING STONES --- Australian pressing

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 13, 2013 03:06

Just got a Hot Rocks with the alternates. It's VG- maybe a touch better, but I personally had never heard these versions so it was very cool. Plays good enough to enjoy at least.

Date: February 13, 2013 03:34

mikeeder
Just got a Hot Rocks with the alternates. It's VG- maybe a touch better, but I personally had never heard these versions so it was very cool. Plays good enough to enjoy at least.

Love it! Got me mine as well, VG+...maybe a bit better.

Can I be so crass as to ask what you paid for it Mike?

Date: February 13, 2013 08:29

187.50 USD
Considering the two rare cuts play well and that I don't think I've heard these versions I am pretty happy.

Date: February 13, 2013 08:34

treaclefingers
Jan Richards

Great you've sorted out the various versions...
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding Jan, but what exactly would you like our opinion on?

Ok let me try again. All these four cover versions were made in 1964. One of them was the very first on used for the new LP. Another of these four was the second one coming from the manufacturer. The manufacturer did not deliver all four versions on the same time.
So my question would be, which one of these four covers was the one used first, which one used second and so on. From a collectors point of view it is rather important to put them in historical order.

I have known about these versions for years. I have just not been able to figure out the first, second and so on.
All versions are there on my stonesondecca page

LK4605

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 13, 2013 15:48

mikeeder
187.50 USD
Considering the two rare cuts play well and that I don't think I've heard these versions I am pretty happy.

This is a rare find, good for you!

Posted by: RollingSebas ()
Date: February 13, 2013 20:49

My 1A/1A pressing has the cover from photo 3, but without the bending of the paper strip. So I expect the cover on photo 3 need to be the 1st. Or because my cover doesn't have the bended paper strip, it means this is a 5th cover version?
I expect the vinyl / cover combinations aren't so chronological as we hope.

Date: February 14, 2013 01:41

treaclefingers
mikeeder
187.50 USD

This is a rare find, good for you!
Thanks I've been collecting Stones vinyl since 1988 and am glad I finally landed one.

Date: February 14, 2013 08:54

RollingSebas
My 1A/1A pressing has the cover from photo 3, but without the bending of the paper strip. So I expect the cover on photo 3 need to be the 1st. Or because my cover doesn't have the bended paper strip, it means this is a 5th cover version?

Good lord this is quite a morass. I can't imagine this was just done willy-nilly, there must be some rhyme or reason to how they were released.

Wouldn't it make sense that the 1A/1A is the first, ergot the cover is the first? Complete with the short version of Tell Me I presume?

Date: February 14, 2013 12:27

treaclefingers
RollingSebas

Good lord this is quite a morass. I can't imagine this was just done willy-nilly, there must be some rhyme or reason to how they were released.

This is my point! There was no structure in the usage of covers. A cover is a cover and lets put a LP in it.... That is how they did it at Decca in 60's. When Decca received new covers from the printer, they just put them ontop of the earlier ones, if there were any left. This means that at some point they took an "older" sleeve and put a new LP in it. That is why we have so many different combinations on covers and LP labels. That is also why it is very difficult to confirm which is the first pressing of the sleeve

I have for years been wondering which of these is actually the very first cover printed. Well, now I know as I have been in contact with a person who was involved with LP pressing and covers at Decca in the 60's cool smiley
I just wanted to get some collectors opinions on what you think is the first.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: February 14, 2013 17:19

Jan Richards
treaclefingers
RollingSebas

This is my point! There was no structure in the usage of covers. A cover is a cover and lets put a LP in it.... That is how they did it at Decca in 60's. When Decca received new covers from the printer, they just put them ontop of the earlier ones, if there were any left. This means that at some point they took an "older" sleeve and put a new LP in it. That is why we have so many different combinations on covers and LP labels. That is also why it is very difficult to confirm which is the first pressing of the sleeve

I have for years been wondering which of these is actually the very first cover printed. Well, now I know as I have been in contact with a person who was involved with LP pressing and covers at Decca in the 60's cool smiley
I just wanted to get some collectors opinions on what you think is the first

You devil! Share please!

Date: February 16, 2013 00:43

The correct sequence of the back cover on LK4605 is:

No 1 Mona
No 2 I Need You Baby with MONO logo missing
No 2b I Need You Baby with Mono missing and the MONA stamp added
No 3 I Need You Baby with MONO logo in place

Read more here on my stonesondecca page:

LK4605

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 08:18

This is almost as crazy as "Introducing The Beatles"

Undercover1

Date: February 16, 2013 16:14

Undercover1
This is almost as crazy as "Introducing The Beatles"

Undercover1

I have to admit I had to look that up...so that is a VEE JAY records release of what looks primarily like PLEASE PLEASE ME? What's the story there, is that not on Capitol because they didn't have the US contract yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-18 09:22 by treaclefingers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home