Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 30, 2012 01:28

boston2006
They're getting expensive !!

It was either this or eat this week , you know what I chose !

Beautiful! Hopefully you've put on a bit of weight so you can live off your own body fat for these periodic treasures!

Date: March 30, 2012 01:31

Jan Richards
treaclefingers
I have a question for the 'DECCAists' out there.

All through the 60's whether unboxed or boxed decca labels, you always had a red label for a mono pressing and a dark blue label for a stereo pressing....EXCEPT for Big Hits, High Tide and Green Grass, and Their Satanic Majesties Request.

For those, it is a light blue label for MONO, and a GREEN label for stereo.

Does anyone know why that was done? In each case, they followed back to the regular red/dark blue pattern.

What gives?

I do not know the reason for this. The TXL for mono and TXS for stereo recordings was not a very big serie at Decca. As per my information only about 20 LP's was ever issued in the stereo serie, don't have the list of the mono LP's. Of these only the two Stones LP's are from the 60's and the rest of them are from the 70's. Artists like Savoy Brown, Thin Lizzy, Camel and Moody Blues can be found on TXS.

Decca used hundreds of prefix letter combinations from the 50's and to the late 70's. Music categories were usually grouped by the prefix. But the reason for the TXL and TXS serie I do not know

Thanks Jan,

Part of the reason collecting this stuff is so interesting is because of some of these mysteries. Love to know why they went this way, who made the decisions, was Mick involved or did he even care?

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: March 30, 2012 02:04

Those two were self produced by the Stones, at least Satanic was. I've always thought that was the reason why the label and catalog numbers were different.

Date: March 30, 2012 02:15

Hillside Blues
Those two were self produced by the Stones, at least Satanic was. I've always thought that was the reason why the label and catalog numbers were different.

interesting hypothesis. I don't think the Hide Tide was though...I'll have to check my album when I get home.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: March 30, 2012 02:24

I checked my copy of Big Hits. The label says Andrew's the producer. Strange... I could swear I read somewhere it was also self produced.

Date: March 30, 2012 03:42

genco
I bought this acetate in a record fair in Barcelona 15 years ago. I spent 100 euros.
I was very happy, but a friend of mine told me that is a fake.
Whay do you think?

As no one has replied to your question, I will try even though honestly I do not know for sure.

This is presumably an acetate for just the remix of YGMR. Pure logic would say, "why would anyone create a fake of a single that most fans don't really care too much about"?

As in, if you are going to go to the trouble in faking a Rolling Stones vinyl, would this be your 'go to' item to fake? Clearly there are dozens and maybe hundreds of other items that would be preferable.

I think on that basis alone, you're probably safe. You might consider doing a little research online (if you haven't already)...was the acetate actually cut at Apple? If you google search the item, do you get any clues?

Again, I think you're likely safe, unless your friend was able to point out a specific reason why he thought it was a fake.

Good luck!

Posted by: genco ()
Date: March 30, 2012 17:16

Many Thanks treaclefingers !!!!!

The only reference I found in a google search is this one

different of my copy...

I found some abbey road acetates (from the other groups) and they have the same label and the same format letters that my copy.

My friend told me that 100 euros for an acetate is very cheap... I dont know

Anyway... thank you

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 30, 2012 19:28

There are a lot of fakes on the market this days! but like treaclefingers says" why would anyone create a fake of a single that most fans don't really care too much about". Looks good to me.

Posted by: genco ()
Date: March 30, 2012 20:09

steffiestones
There are a lot of fakes on the market this days! but like treaclefingers says" why would anyone create a fake of a single that most fans don't really care too much about". Looks good to me.

Thank You...

Date: March 31, 2012 15:13

genco
Many Thanks treaclefingers !!!!!

The only reference I found in a google search is this one

different of my copy...

I found some abbey road acetates (from the other groups) and they have the same label and the same format letters that my copy.

My friend told me that 100 euros for an acetate is very cheap... I dont know

Anyway... thank you

Well if the only reason that you're friend says it's a fake, is because he thinks it's cheap, then I guess you could argue that what it is, is a good deal!

Good luck with it!

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 31, 2012 15:21

I wouldn't say 100 euro's was cheap for such a modern acetate.
If you paid that for an acetate of Ya-Ya's for instance, then he would have a point.

Date: March 31, 2012 15:24

vudicus
I wouldn't say 100 euro's was cheap for such a modern acetate.
If you paid that for an acetate of Ya-Ya's for instance, then he would have a point.

That is an exceptionally valid point.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: March 31, 2012 18:14

Here are some more:
- Around and Around, the 2nd LP released in France;
- Their satanic Majesties request, green tag;
- The Who supporting Jagger and Richards.

Posted by: opj ()
Date: March 31, 2012 18:16

i've the first stones single come on with danish picture sleve

Date: March 31, 2012 18:41

Georges
Here are some more:
- Around and Around, the 2nd LP released in France;
- Their satanic Majesties request, green tag;
- The Who supporting Jagger and Richards.

Wow...love that WHO with picture sleeve, I've never seen that, thanks for sharing Georges!

Date: April 1, 2012 17:36

opj
i've the first stones single come on with danish picture sleve

I thought I had this as well, but mine is the Dutch copy...do you have a photo you can post?

Date: April 1, 2012 17:51

OK, let's talk about DECCA company sleeves. I think everyone is quite familiar with the two varieties out there, the "orange with vertical-slanted stripes - ffrr with ear" and the blue azure swirl, both pictured below:

Of these, I believe the orange version was first and some time later in the 60's, they switched to the blue azure, possibly accompanying the change to the 'boxed' DECCA logo, although I'm not certain of that.

Here is a variation of the orange sleeve, on brown paper this time...have no idea why this even exists:

Finally, and perhaps most interestingly, here are two variations of that DECCA sleeve that I've otherwise not seen before...does anyone else have these?:

You'll notice that on the red/white sleeve, the single I Wanna Be Your Man is b/w 'Stones' which was a misspelling of 'Stoned'. This makes the single fairly rare, although I see it often on EBAY. I do note it appears both these sleeves are printed in the USA...could not confirm they actually originally accompanied these singles, or whether they were changed by a subsequent owner. Usually when that happens, you don't get the same company sleeve though, so a bit vexing.

Love any comments or info on these variations of the DECCA company sleeve!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-01 17:55 by treaclefingers.

Date: April 1, 2012 19:28

Here is another variation of the regular orange Decca sleeve. There are other shadows on the letters and the color of the sleeve is also a bit darker. There are also some other little differents.

Date: April 1, 2012 19:34

steffiestones
Here is another variation of the regular orange Decca sleeve. There are other shadows on the letters and the color of the sleeve is also a bit darker. There are also some other little differents.

Nice Stefaan...particularly what's IN the sleeve! smileys with beer

I also have at least a couple of this variation...I was too lazy to dig through and find, so thanks for posting. Really love the promo version...is the flip side 'Stones' or 'Stoned'?

Date: April 1, 2012 19:46

The flipside is 'Stones'

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 1, 2012 20:15

I have a misprint with "Stones"-label on both sides - never came by a second copy. Have you guys ever seen one?

[www.vinylstones.org]

Date: April 1, 2012 21:53

silkcut1978_
I have a misprint with "Stones"-label on both sides - never came by a second copy. Have you guys ever seen one?

[www.vinylstones.org]

No, pic?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 1, 2012 22:40

Here's a few more for you to check out .......

Plastic sleeve from Finland

From Greece

From South Africa

And finally a mystery sleeve ... little help ?

I'm sure I have more will look again .

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 1, 2012 23:26

From New Zealand

Plastic sleeve from Finland

From South Africa

From Austarlia

From Italy

From Singapore

From Australia

From Turkey

From New Zealand

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 2, 2012 00:18

steffiestones
silkcut1978_

[www.vinylstones.org]

No, pic?

click the link?

Date: April 2, 2012 00:24

Wow Boston, very impressive!

I'll have to go through mine in a little more detail...I know I have a few London company labels that are a bit different.

Didn't realize how many variations of the DECCA company sleeve there'd be but I guess that has to do with geography.

I'm still wondering about my USA printed sleeves...I wonder why USA, when London did the distribution in the USA? In the sleeves you've shown, they seem to be printed in their own country. Did any countries have their sleeves printed in USA, for export?

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: April 2, 2012 00:34

As a Finn, it is nice to see a few Finnish sleeves here smiling smiley
By the way, did you notice the spelling issue on the Finnish Sreet Fighting Man

Orange UK Decca sleeves were used up to September of 1966. Around that time they changed to the new blue version. That is also the same time when the boxed logo was taken into use on 7" vinyls.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Date: April 2, 2012 03:44

Jan Richards

Orange UK Decca sleeves were used up to September of 1966. Around that time they changed to the new blue version. That is also the same time when the boxed logo was taken into use on 7" vinyls.

Thanks for that info Jan...any opinion on some of the others...I'm most interested in the DECCA company sleeves on my post that are 'made in USA'?

I wasn't under the impression that DECCA did US releases, but perhaps I'm wrong on that account?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 2, 2012 08:25

Tell Me - Playing Time 2:35 (just flashed by)...that was a short version...confused smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: April 2, 2012 09:21

treaclefingers
Jan Richards

Thanks for that info Jan...any opinion on some of the others...I'm most interested in the DECCA company sleeves on my post that are 'made in USA'?

I wasn't under the impression that DECCA did US releases, but perhaps I'm wrong on that account?

Bagchanges. Not original bags on I Wanna Be Your Man and Confessin. There was a company by the name of Decca in US but they had nothing to do with the UK based Decca. This is also the reason why there is the sticker over DECCA on the No2 LP that Steffie posted.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home