Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 66
Re: Let's talk RARE Stones vinyl
Posted by: edith-grove ()
Date: October 15, 2011 11:12

I'd be happy to.
How do I insert photo jpegs into one of these messages?

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 15, 2011 11:31

Copy the image to a image copying service , I use PhotoBucket .

Then copy the IMG code and paste in your reply to this thread !

thanks

Date: October 15, 2011 13:41

Thanks for the tip.
Is this it?
(IMG)http://i1220.photobucket.com

Date: October 15, 2011 14:25

Here you go

[photobucket.com]

Date: October 15, 2011 15:03

[i1220.photobucket.com]
[i1220.photobucket.com]

Are you able to see these?

Date: October 15, 2011 15:16

Yes !
You got it . thanks

Date: October 15, 2011 16:07

Great.
I've had that one since '76 or '77. I remember, at the time, it being incredibly difficult to track down a copy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 15, 2011 17:42

boston2006
Yes , I've got that promo and sleeve also .

Seems as if we have quite the amassed collection between the two of us .

>grinning smiley<

Indeed! Here are a couple of one-sided Spanish promos for the two studio singles from Flashpoint...I'm not aware of any other country having printed promos for these songs, which is why I acquired them (completist in me)...would anyone else know?

Date: October 15, 2011 20:45

I've got those Spanish promos also .

Here's something a bit different .

Run Rudolph Run , Japanese issue

Keith Richards French issue , one sided promo

Keith Richards French issue , one sided promo

Japanese issue promo

And a Spanish issue promo from Mr. Jagger

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 15, 2011 21:01

Please, don't forget the thread 'Add photos of your rarities' started by one of the biggest rolling stones collectors of the world, john ake stonerelics!
Why start a new thread if there is allready one..
BTW; i have noting against this thread....

Date: October 15, 2011 21:02

It's All Over Now !!

Date: October 15, 2011 21:04

steffiestones
Please, don't forget the thread 'Add photos of your rarities' started by one of the biggest rolling stones collectors of the world, john ake stonerelics!

Hi Steffie , I think I got about 50 or so of these items from JR !!

Date: October 16, 2011 15:50

steffiestones

Thanks Steffie, I think this has been noted once before. With this thread, I had hoped we'd discuss some interesting vinyl stuff specifically, photos or not. So not just a 'showcase' for what you have, but perhaps more of a discussion around the history of some of the vinyl.

Date: October 16, 2011 16:37

"The promos that never became singles"...

Not sure I have them all here, but each one I do have is interesting. Chronologically:

Time Waits For No One:

Beyond not actually becoming a single, this has the mono version of TWFNO. I like the PS narrative to radio programmers on the back, which I've included in the shot.

Hot Stuff:

Really don't get this...released as a promo, never a single, but released as a 12" to clubs (I've got a couple of copies of this, some with cool blue marbled vinyl).

and finally Keef's Before They Make Me Run:

This one is truly odd, as they went to the trouble of creating a very cool 'Keith only' picture sleeve, and the 45's themselves had the regular 'yellow label' for singles that they used in the 70's (up through Undercover), not traditionally the blue b/w white label for promos.

Anyone else have these, or have the story behind why they never became singles? Also, why BTMMR looks like a regular single?

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: October 16, 2011 21:59

Wow, there's even an accompanying letter... Does anyone know if the mono/stereo promo of Brown Sugar has anything similar?

I'd like to know which mix of Brown Sugar was released first (counting official RSR releases only), the mono or the stereo one, or if they were released simultaneously...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-16 21:59 by FreeBird.

Date: October 17, 2011 16:44

FreeBird
Wow, there's even an accompanying letter... Does anyone know if the mono/stereo promo of Brown Sugar has anything similar?

I'd like to know which mix of Brown Sugar was released first (counting official RSR releases only), the mono or the stereo one, or if they were released simultaneously...

The letter for that one, is the actual picture sleeve. I think the Brown Sugar promos just came out in the red Atlantic sleeves, as I have a couple, but I'm not certain of that.

Regarding mono/stereo, as they are both on the 45, ie either side, would that be considered simultaneous?

Date: October 17, 2011 23:54

treaclefingers
Regarding mono/stereo, as they are both on the 45, ie either side, would that be considered simultaneous?
Yeah, but only if the promo was released before or at the same time as the actual single (which, to the best of my knowledge, was mono on its first pressing). Was it?

Date: October 18, 2011 01:33

FreeBird
treaclefingers
Yeah, but only if the promo was released before or at the same time as the actual single (which, to the best of my knowledge, was mono on its first pressing). Was it?

Wasn't the promo pressed ahead of the regular single, in most cases? Advanced copies for radio stations.

Most radio at that time was still AM, if I'm not incorrect, so almost for sure the mono version was the priority.

Regarding the ACTUAL single to the public, I'm not sure if that was originally mono.

Would anyone else know?

Date: October 18, 2011 03:22

treaclefingers
Wasn't the promo pressed ahead of the regular single, in most cases? Advanced copies for radio stations.
Yeah, you'd expect it to be, but I'd like to know for sure.

Posted by: thelantern ()
Date: October 19, 2011 18:52

Here's something very very rare. I've owned this since the late 70s. Steffiestones, you mentioned earlier in this thread that you had only seen/heard of two in existence. Well, here's number three....1A/1A matrix as well!

[/img]

Date: October 21, 2011 05:36

thelantern
Here's something very very rare. I've owned this since the late 70s. Steffiestones, you mentioned earlier in this thread that you had only seen/heard of two in existence. Well, here's number three....1A/1A matrix as well!

[/img]

Very cool...a DECCA pressing, so, for the export market?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-21 05:36 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: thelantern ()
Date: October 21, 2011 20:39

So I believe. I'm told that it was released in limited quantities in Scandinavia and possibly Germany as well, although not too many have surfaced since (either stereo or mono). I assume they're all hidden away in attics somewhere!

I'm not too sure but I think some of the songs on this are taken from different sources than those used on the CD versions (the 2002 remaster for definite). They certainly seem slightly different to my ears and the 'wall of sound' effect created by the crowd seems to have been toned down a bit for CD. I could just be imagining it though......

Date: October 23, 2011 09:23

Going in a different direction...this one has always puzzled me:

There has to be a reason why Sad Day was released as a single (BW You Can't Always Get What You Want), in France (elsewhere?) in 1973.

I'm not sure if this DECCA single is rare or just esoteric, but it is unusual for sure.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Date: October 23, 2011 11:02

My opinion is that the bigwigs @ Decca thought that they could sell more 45s by pairing up Sad Day with YCAGWYW or perhaps the Stones felt it was worthy of a 45 release .

English promo .

Brazilian .

Dutch .

Yugoslavian .

Belgian .

English .

German .

Posted by: OhNoNotMeAgain ()
Date: October 23, 2011 13:50

treaclefingers
Here are a couple of one-sided Spanish promos for the two studio singles from Flashpoint...I'm not aware of any other country having printed promos for these songs, which is why I acquired them (completist in me)...would anyone else know?

"Sex Drive" was also released as a one-sided white label promo 7" in Costa Rica (CBS 7118891).

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: October 23, 2011 16:43

treaclefingers

There has to be a reason why Sad Day was released as a single (BW You Can't Always Get What You Want), in France (elsewhere?) in 1973.

I'm not sure if this DECCA single is rare or just esoteric, but it is unusual for sure.

Roy Carr mentioned in his Stones - docu , that at least DECCA noticed that Sad Day (flipside of US-single 19th Nervous Breakdown) wasn`t published outside the US at the time.
In februar 1973 DECCA rereleased the Stones first LP with a new cover. They used parts of the live shot from the backside of this LP-rerelease for the Sad Day cover. Sad Day was released in april (UK) and june (Germany) 1973.
Sad Day was then included on No Stone Unturned which was released in oct/nov 1973, the first DECCA release of "rarities".
Hope it helps. Any corrections?

Tom

Date: October 23, 2011 17:11

electricmud
treaclefingers

Roy Carr mentioned in his Stones - docu , that at least DECCA noticed that Sad Day (flipside of US-single 19th Nervous Breakdown) wasn`t published outside the US at the time.
In februar 1973 DECCA rereleased the Stones first LP with a new cover. They used parts of the live shot from the backside of this LP-rerelease for the Sad Day cover. Sad Day was released in april (UK) and june (Germany) 1973.
Sad Day was then included on No Stone Unturned which was released in oct/nov 1973, the first DECCA release of "rarities".
Hope it helps. Any corrections?

Tom

Thanks Tom...while I like the song, just doesn't seem 'single-worthy'. I guess it was just DECCA's way perhaps, to try to cash in the continuing success of the Stones, most notably the worldwide smash of Angie in 1973 (not sure if the dates correspond, so just a guess). So they put out what they hope is another ballad that the public will buy.

A very nice curio 40 years later.

Date: October 23, 2011 17:14

boston2006
My opinion is that the bigwigs @ Decca thought that they could sell more 45s by pairing up Sad Day with YCAGWYW or perhaps the Stones felt it was worthy of a 45 release .

English promo .

Brazilian .

Dutch .

Yugoslavian .

Belgian .

English .

German .

Boston, what are you trying to do, 7-up me?!

Very thoroughly collected I must say! Which of the bunch was the toughest to acquire?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 23, 2011 17:21

haven't looked through this thread much - but anyone else have the 1971 radio promo jagger interview with tom donahue lp on rolling stones records? ran into his son years ago who offered me money for it...

[www.discogs.com]

Date: October 23, 2011 17:26

StonesTod
haven't looked through this thread much - but anyone else have the 1971 radio promo jagger interview with tom donahue lp on rolling stones records? ran into his son years ago who offered me money for it...

[www.discogs.com]

This is a geek thread, what-er-you doin' here?

All kidding aside, I've seen it in the $50-$100 range on EBAY.

I also have a couple of copies. If you have the accompanying letter with it, then I think it is worth quite a bit more.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 66

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home