Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

listen to preview of entire Superheavy album
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 30, 2011 07:13

go to Itunes, and scroll down to the bottom and change country to UK. Do a search for SUPERHEAVY once you get into the UK ITUNES store amd the deluxe addition will pop up. YOu can preview about 90 seconds of each song including the bonus material.

Re: listen to preview of entire Superheavy album
Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: August 30, 2011 07:48

Thanks... Going through this track by track. "Energy" is a real standout so far... This could have been a Voodoo Lounge outtake. Also like the Melody of "Never Gonna Change". "Common Ground" has a neat roots rock reggae meets gypsy music feel to it.

This is the most interesting solo Mick stuff I've heard. Glad to hear him doing something creative. The production seems to be very polished, but the end result is still good. It's not the great final Stones "do it right in the studio" record that we've been hoping for, but it's not a turd either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-30 08:01 by goinhome.

Posted by: OlRiddim ()
Date: August 30, 2011 13:09

Thank you for the super-slick double-naught spy work, Bashlets.

First-swipe-through gut reaction: quite possibly the most interesting beginning-to-end non-Stones album project Mick's been involved in. Certainly a new and different animal, but ... doesn't seem like he's playing it safe at this point, and for that, I have to give him credit, big-time.

And in the meantime ... bring on the Winos!

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: August 30, 2011 13:26

"I canĀ“t take it no more" - sounds like "Gun" Part 2

"Never Gonna Change" - "Blue" Part 2

...fresh re-collected!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 30, 2011 13:32

Hmmm.looks like I'm doing something wrong here....I followed the instructions...or so I thought....but got only this.........[www.apple.com] ..........could someone help or perhaps post the direct link....TIA, Eddie..........PS I did originally search for SUPERHEAVY but got asked "did I mean Super Heavy ?"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-30 13:36 by EddieByword.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 30, 2011 13:49

EddieByword
Hmmm.looks like I'm doing something wrong here....I followed the instructions...or so I thought....but got only this.........[www.apple.com] ..........could someone help or perhaps post the direct link....TIA, Eddie..........PS I did originally search for SUPERHEAVY but got asked "did I mean Super Heavy ?"

Have you downloaded ITUNES onto your computer? If so, go to ITUNES Store from there, and then follow the instructions given above.

Date: August 30, 2011 13:57

Joss and Mick sound great together. In fact all the voices sound great.
I Can't Take It No More is weaker than I thought it would be, so that is a disappointment.

Overall excellent on first listen...very exciting.

Thanks for digging this up Bashlets!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 30, 2011 14:21

treaclefingers
EddieByword

Have you downloaded ITUNES onto your computer? If so, go to ITUNES Store from there, and then follow the instructions given above.

Ahh right...no I hadn't ...O.K. thanks a lot...............smileys with beer............amazing...just done that.......My total knowledge of itunes has been until now that 'you can play digital music on a portable player like a Sony walkman'.............confused smiley...............Thanks....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-30 14:39 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 30, 2011 16:59

thanks Bashlets for the heads-up...

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: August 30, 2011 18:36

Thanks Bashlets.
The more I hear, the more interesting it sounds. Not that that surprises me!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 30, 2011 19:48

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: August 30, 2011 23:46

Thanks Bashlets

Date: August 31, 2011 00:20

EddieByword
treaclefingers
EddieByword

Ahh right...no I hadn't ...O.K. thanks a lot...............smileys with beer............amazing...just done that.......My total knowledge of itunes has been until now that 'you can play digital music on a portable player like a Sony walkman'.............confused smiley...............Thanks....

No problemo dude...so do you have anything that seems like a favourite at this point?

I'm surprised how much I actually like just on one listen (haven't had time again today).

I thought I was going to really love that track, "I Can't Stand It Anymore"...that has the line with Joss, "What the @#$%& is going on?"...that line doesn't appear on the snippet they've included though.

Maybe I'll like it better when I hear the whole song?

Date: August 31, 2011 00:20

Tell me Satyameva Jayathe" doesn't sound like "Jai Ho"
"Never Gonna Change" sounds like "Blue".

I still like the whole thing though; I just like that Jagger is working hard. And I got kind of the hots for Joss. Check her coming in on the chorus for "I Don't Mind".
I prefer the outtake version of "World Keeps Turning"; it sounded nice and tentative when the voices all slide into the choir-chorus. But in the finished version they turn it into an anthem.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-31 00:27 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: August 31, 2011 02:24

i like itthumbs up

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 31, 2011 02:58

Wow. That preview certainly changed my mind about this project. I was to say the least unenthusiastic about it. But after listening to the album snippets, I am now very excited about it. Thought it sounded fantastic. I was worried there would be too much of Rahman carrying on in the background, but from what is posted on Itunes, it sounds like his contributions have been kept minimal. Joss Stone sounds fantastic. I'm glad that Mick has a ton of songs to sing on this. Damian Marley is good too, but it gets a little annoying hearing him say "Superheavy" in every single song.

I'm definitely buying this CD! Thanks for the heads up.

Date: August 31, 2011 03:17

I'm hoping that means there are more significant Jagger vocals than on "Miracle Worker" and the two Hindi numbers. I'm not really excited over Jagger guest spots.

Date: August 31, 2011 03:20

I actually really like the JAGGER backing vocals on ROCK ME GENTLY and the BEAUTIFUL pEOPLE.
I am a little more optimistic about this release. At first I thought it was going to be a hip-hop cd, but after listening there is definately some blues and soul in it. Is that Jagger on the awesome harp on ENERGY? ONE DAY, ONE NIGHT is a pure Jagger blues.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: August 31, 2011 03:32

No thanks.

Date: August 31, 2011 06:17

carlostones10
No thanks.

Well, at least you've kept an open mind!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 31, 2011 06:44

treaclefingers
EddieByword

careful there fingers, Itunes is a huge and cumbersome program with lots of hidden software attached. Good for dedicated computers with Itunes and Apples but in my humble opinion it can be disasterous when trying to compete for resources with a systems already running smoothly with Windows Media Player or Sound Forge or whateva. Apple has been taking over the online retail music sales but forcing that program on us seems a big mistake. Just my 2 cents. peace.

Date: August 31, 2011 07:43

Naturalust
treaclefingers
EddieByword

careful there fingers, Itunes is a huge and cumbersome program with lots of hidden software attached. Good for dedicated computers with Itunes and Apples but in my humble opinion it can be disasterous when trying to compete for resources with a systems already running smoothly with Windows Media Player or Sound Forge or whateva. Apple has been taking over the online retail music sales but forcing that program on us seems a big mistake. Just my 2 cents. peace.

You may have a point! I wasn't necessarily advocating the use of ITUNES, just pointing out for Eddie that he needed to do that, in order to follow the instructions from Bashlets original post.

Saying that, I have a fairly new computer and never have had a problem, but perhaps with an older computer, or netbook, their may be some resource issues with ITUNES. I find ITUNES easier than Windows Media and just no comparison with the 'virus' also known as Realplayer.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 31, 2011 09:48

Acoustic version of "Never Gonna Change" is not bad.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: August 31, 2011 12:54

great thread Bashlets !

a really well done work this SUPERHEAVY album. 2 years to make.
Qualitative production.

Superheavy = gives the tone. "Argentina to Zanzibar"
Unbelievable = great Mick's vocals
Energy = guitars !! and harp. We love that
Satyameva = a super mix of voices. (remind me that I saw "The Streets" live this week end and 2 or 3 singers on stage is unusual and gives an interesting result)
One day one night = piano and guitar seem great
Never gonna change = Mick's voice ! but a weak melody
Beautiful people = great !!
Rock me gentry = Joss voice moves me (although a bit too heavy)
I can't take it no more = guitars !
I don't mind = again a great Mick, piano and nice rythmic + Joss voice
Warning people = typical Mick song at the beginning. Nice break in it and great voices
Hey captain = protools work

The dub version of Miracle worker is great !!

I wait for the vinyl edition.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: August 31, 2011 22:50

I was already looking forward to this album. Now I can hardly wait.

It's good to hear Mick doing something fresh with different artists, maybe to inspire him a little. Some of these songs sound like they could be pop hits as well, e.g Beautiful People. Unlikely that they will make a big splash but it shows that this is maybe more commercially accessable than people previously thought.

I'm also looking forward to the track "Superheavy" particularly. I'd like to see this thing do well.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 31, 2011 23:12

treaclefingers
Naturalust
treaclefingers
EddieByword

You may have a point! I wasn't necessarily advocating the use of ITUNES, just pointing out for Eddie that he needed to do that, in order to follow the instructions from Bashlets original post.

Saying that, I have a fairly new computer and never have had a problem, but perhaps with an older computer, or netbook, their may be some resource issues with ITUNES. I find ITUNES easier than Windows Media and just no comparison with the 'virus' also known as Realplayer.

Totally agree with the Real Player "virus" tag. That program JUST PLAIN SUCKS! The guy who started that company was always bitter about his market share and started using very dubious methods to try to beat down the competition. I have always been screwed every time I tried to use the stuff. He now imbeds the player in alot of other applications. A big mistake for the companies who bought his speel and invested in that platform. Good advice to stay away from Real Player! Good call fingers! peace.

Date: September 1, 2011 01:38

Haha..the "virus" known as RealPlayer; well said.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 1, 2011 04:28

Love reading these reviews... Not going to sample the album but wait and hear it all when it comes out. These mini-reviews have got me really excited about the project! Can't wait until it comes out.

Date: September 1, 2011 04:45

you can also now find the samples on Reverbnation.com
you have to do a seach for a.r. rahman

Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: September 1, 2011 05:37

The "bonus tracks" are all essential, so don't even think about getting the
standard disk.

Although half the samples are more Jaggery than we expected, they still
all seem like SuperHeavy tracks rather than Jagger solo music, except for
"Never Gonna Change", which at least for the duration of the sample, does not
make it for us as SuperHeavy music. Hopefully there's some nice surprises
from the rest of the group on the full-length track.

On the more rocking bluesy numbers, Joss is the perfect complement to
Jagger, almost like having a full-time Merry Clayton (not that there are
any Gimme Shelters on this record. Or for that matter any other record
except Let It Bleed).

In those moments when you can hear all five meshing and contributing,
we think the music is electrifying. Lots of rhythm guitar and big and
little guitar flourishes here and there.

Our opinion of Damian Marley is very much influenced by his most recent
record, Distant Relatives, still #2 on Billboard's reggae charts after
67 weeks, after topping the Hip HOP Charts and peaking at #5 on the
overall album chart. Funny thing is, that brilliant record was
made AFTER SuperHeavy, and seems very much influenced by it, in that
it probably has less reggae on it than SuperHeavy and features
sophisticated layered orchestrations that we figured, when we
first heard it, must have come from Rahman or Stewart, but no, it
turns out it was Damian doing all that. So by comparison, this first
SuperHeavy album seems to unduly restrict Damian to a toasting role.
Nonetheless, we get enthused whenever we hear his voice on SuperHeavy
and figure he'll be used more broadly, and will sing more, on their next album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-01 05:50 by nocomment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2077
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home