Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick Taylor on If you really want to be my friend
Date: May 11, 2021 16:33

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I believe they both did. At least you can hear those "pings" from Keith's guitar on the verses.

Are those "pings" not just natural harmonics on an acoustic guitar-TWFN ?

No. They're louder than that, and come as an extension of the electric guitar licks and chords they play in Am/Dm. Listen to Keith's guitar. It appears after every chord on the verses, but not when he plays the theme-lick.

Re: Mick Taylor on If you really want to be my friend
Date: May 11, 2021 16:45

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I believe they both did. At least you can hear those "pings" from Keith's guitar on the verses.

Are those "pings" not just natural harmonics on an acoustic guitar-TWFN ?

No. They're louder than that, and come as an extension of the electric guitar licks and chords they play in Am/Dm. Listen to Keith's guitar. It appears after every chord on the verses, but not when he plays the theme-lick.

You're right, and I
can hear the sparkling effect, like stars. Suits the lyrics. Took me 47 bloody years to notice it winking smiley thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 17:07 by TheflyingDutchman.

Re: Track Talk: If You Really Want To Be My Friend
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 11, 2021 17:03

bakersfield
Can’t believe they recorded something so awful as this and so great as Fool to Cry in the same era. It’s plush, shallow tosh. Compared to other side two track three songs it’s an embarrassment. Sister Morphine? Stray Cst Blues? Plus Mick seeks to be telling his partner to ‘stop whining and let me shag around’ which is not exactly admirable.
Fool to Cry is plush shallow tosh if If You Really Want to Be My Friend is.Silly lyrics about daddy and daughter made more silly by the vocals.The music and Wayne andKeith’s guitar is excellent .I like listening to Fool to cry without the vocals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 17:04 by Taylor1.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 11, 2021 19:23

Taylor 1 if we’re talking about the lyrics I can’t disagree in all honesty smiling smiley) but musically I find Fool to Cry compelling - except for the horrendously butchered version on some compilations. I love the build up of FTC In the last minute whereas IYRWTBMF just sort of dribbles on ...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 11, 2021 19:28

bakersfield
Can’t believe they recorded something so awful as this and so great as Fool to Cry in the same era. It’s plush, shallow tosh. Compared to other side two track three songs it’s an embarrassment. Sister Morphine? Stray Cst Blues? Plus Mick seeks to be telling his partner to ‘stop whining and let me shag around’ which is not exactly admirable.

Fool to Cry? Yikes.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 11, 2021 19:57

''We used a guitar synthesizer called a hi-fly.''From Keith in 1974 talking about guitareffects used on Time Waits For No One.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home