Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: If You Really Want To Be My Friend
Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: December 24, 2019 22:33

theres a load of nellcote instrumentals and out-takes i just love. my fav unfinished song is this one

[www.youtube.com]

its always been bit of a mystery why it never got finished, or a nice qual audio boots come out. I know a lot of people have speculated but, its always come across as guessing - whereas on other songs theres more detail less speculating.

An official release of this stuff plus the below would have me skipping to the shops to buy. its just effortlessly classy quality music with soul, grime & groove.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

anyone have top qual boots of these ill have a little silent wee in excitement

Date: December 24, 2019 23:44

One of many songs that have grown on me over the years. Didn't care a lot for it for quite a while. Now it's my fave track off IORR.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 25, 2019 00:20

I have always liked this song. If given the question of naming only the two best songs of IORR, I will not be able to mention "Time Waits for No One". Because for so long as I can remember, the two best songs for me have always been "Fingerprint File" AND " If You Really Want to Be My Friend".

Why the latter? Answer: Because of the song's and its delivery's wonderful feel. Objection: But isn't this song "cheesy"? No, to me it isn't. Never have been. Rather it is magic!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 25, 2019 00:25

DandelionPowderman
One of many songs that have grown on me over the years. Didn't care a lot for it for quite a while. Now it's my fave track off IORR.

It's such a magnificent work. I've always loved this track. I love how because it's so different that a lot of people don't like it or get it.

Mick Taylor on If you really want to be my friend
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 18:55

I know Taylor plays the solo on this song,but does he also play the leslieguitar that sounds like an organ throughout the song?

Re: Mick Taylor on If you really want to be my friend
Date: December 23, 2019 18:58

That's Keith.

Date: December 23, 2019 19:18

How come Keith never used that effect on a song again

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 23, 2019 20:07

A Leslie? Richards used it on “Coming Down Again”, “Let It Loose”, and probably some others I can’t think of at the moment.

The song you’re referring to also has some other stuff going on. Is there a six string bass on there or something in the breakdown?

Taylor is using some sort of effect on his guitar. Probably the same thing he used on “Time Waits For No One”.

Date: December 23, 2019 20:14

Keith also plays through a Leslie on Moon Is Up, no? At least he has a similar effect on the live version from 1999.

Date: December 23, 2019 20:54

So there is no organ on If you really want to be my friend? And Taylor only plays the solo and no other guitar?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 20:55 by Taylor1.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 23, 2019 21:08

TravelinMan
Taylor is using some sort of effect on his guitar. Probably the same thing he used on “Time Waits For No One”.

Vaguely reminds me of a socalled sub-octivider, but used more moderately than Jimmy Page used it.

Date: December 24, 2019 03:57

There is also acoustic guitar in there. I have always loved this song; always see it as a mid 70's follow up to "Let it Loose".
I'm probably repeating myself from the last time this song came up on the board, but there is something aching and beautiful musically, when the song slides into that bridge "people say you were a vulture", and then even better "But you got a little charm around you".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-24 04:00 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 24, 2019 04:07

It's also Jagger at his best, both heartfelt and arrogant, in one and the same song.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 24, 2019 10:28

The brillant song proves once again that Mick Taylor's departure was a heavy loss. His eminent influence on songwriting of "songs with soul" is very clear in this case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-24 12:42 by RobertJohnson.

Date: December 24, 2019 11:12

Here's the track talk: [iorr.org]

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 24, 2019 12:39

I prefer the not overpoduced embryonic version, the instrumental from Nellcote 71 (surfaced in 2011).

Date: December 24, 2019 16:17

Monsoon Ragoon
I prefer the not overpoduced embryonic version, the instrumental from Nellcote 71 (surfaced in 2011).

???

Date: December 24, 2019 16:26

TravelinMan
Monsoon Ragoon

???

It's a classic very good Love Song, and to me Taylor's guitarsolo is the orgasm.

Date: December 27, 2019 03:33

After the Taylor solo ,there is some great weaving between Taylor andRichards guitars through the end of the song.

Date: December 27, 2019 16:56

Taylor1
After the Taylor solo ,there is some great weaving between Taylor andRichards guitars through the end of the song.

Yeah, there are a lot of pretty, melodic lines in this song.

I think Taylor comes in at at ~1:40 and ~2:55 with that octave effect SomeGuy mentions. He comes back for the solo and hangs around for the rest of the tune.

I'm pretty sure this was the song where he said there was a spot for a guitar solo waiting for him and he just nailed it in one pass.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 10, 2021 21:28

Always been a favourite; instrumentally, vocally, wonderful stuff. Along with the lowdown paranoid funk of 'Fingerprint File' and the Latin tinged 'Time Waits', these three 6 minute plus tracks, along with the title track, were four too quality standouts on the album.

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: May 10, 2021 21:39

Sloppy. IMO one of the worst songs on IORR. Reminds me of some tracks on Bowie Young Americans.

Different thant the usual Stones style songs I love Fingerprint file and Time waits for no one. Lyricswise one of the best songs they have ever written.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-10 21:49 by cimaz.

Date: May 11, 2021 00:58

The song would be better if Blue Magic wasn’t on it

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: May 11, 2021 12:57

Good song but maybe too long. Should have been edited down.

Date: May 11, 2021 13:01

TravelinMan

On TWFN Taylor probably got straight into the soundboard.

Date: May 11, 2021 14:26

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

He’s definitely using the Hi Fly guitar synthesizer pedal on Time Waits. If he went straight from that into the board I’m not sure.

[www.gilmourish.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-11 14:28 by TravelinMan.

Date: May 11, 2021 14:58

TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

He’s definitely using the Hi Fly guitar synthesizer pedal on Time Waits. If he went straight from that into the board I’m not sure.

[www.gilmourish.com]

I believe they both did. At least you can hear those "pings" from Keith's guitar on the verses.

Date: May 11, 2021 15:23

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan

[www.gilmourish.com]

I believe they both did. At least you can hear those "pings" from Keith's guitar on the verses.

Yeah, I agree. Lots of atmosphere on the guitars on this track.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 11, 2021 15:35

Can’t believe they recorded something so awful as this and so great as Fool to Cry in the same era. It’s plush, shallow tosh. Compared to other side two track three songs it’s an embarrassment. Sister Morphine? Stray Cst Blues? Plus Mick seeks to be telling his partner to ‘stop whining and let me shag around’ which is not exactly admirable.

Date: May 11, 2021 16:13

DandelionPowderman

Are those "pings" not just natural harmonics on an acoustic guitar-TWFN ?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home