Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jagger Remembers...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 24, 2011 18:34

Great article from 1995, the Jan Wenner interview:

[www.jannswenner.com]

Interesting reading this so many years later, particularly when hearing what he says then and how things don't seem that much different than now.

Re: Jagger Remembers...
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 24, 2011 18:36

A little kinder to Brian, or at least a realization that show business and fame is not something everyone can handle.

Date: August 24, 2011 18:41

He's very reflective and certainly able to give Brian credit for his contributions.

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: August 24, 2011 19:24

Thank you very much for posting that link, treaclefingers.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: August 24, 2011 19:25

its an ex read!

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: August 24, 2011 19:44

I've never heard Jagger make a reference to the Chuck Berry origins of the phrase "can't get not satisfaction".

Interesting to hear Jan Wenner really push him on his answers. I don't think Jagger would let most interviewers do this. They've obvisiously known each other for a long time.

Good stuff - thanks for posting.

Date: August 24, 2011 20:00

I recall skimming through this in Rolling Stone magazine when it first came out. A very long read and I was a little younger and less patient.

Nice to be able to read it again. To me, what is interesting about it, is I feel you get some really honest answers and it really gives you a sense of his point of view...particularly relates well to what his mindset is at the moment.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: August 24, 2011 20:03

Great interview..I remember it but forgot it...Loved reading it again..Thank you.
Makes me look back on the goode old days as better then ever...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 24, 2011 20:27

mccparty

Interesting to hear Jan Wenner really push him on his answers. I don't think Jagger would let most interviewers do this. They've obvisiously known each other for a long time.

Yup, since 1967 or 1968.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:37

His Majesty
mccparty

Yup, since 1967 or 1968.

They are a big part of each others success. Mick played Jan like a fiddle in the early days, and Jan ate it up and sold the premasticated remains to you and I. His company is still one of the most successful privately held companies of it's type in the world. Owned entirely by Jan and his wife, last I heard. I still love the Dr Hook and the Medicine show tune "cover of the rolling stone". What a piece of rock history that is. peace.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:44

Wenner is the ultimate star-@#$%&, but he knows his Stones and does the best Jagger interviews (after Lisa Robinson) because they knew each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-24 23:45 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:45

WENNER: But, finally, it was your decision not to tour. Was Keith upset with that?
JAGGER: Oh, yeah.
WENNER: And the next thing you do is a solo album.
JAGGER: Yeah. He must have been quite unhappy with that.

;-)

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 24, 2011 23:46

Absolutely the best interview ever with Mick. I wonder if there's more? In the case of John Lennon I think Wenner put out an entire book or something about his "Lennon Remembers" interview. I hope Mick doesn't have to die for us to read it if so.

Date: August 25, 2011 02:30

Marmalade
Thank you very much for posting that link, treaclefingers.

My pleasure! I was mindless surfing...I don't even recall how I came upon it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:37

treaclefingers

[www.jannswenner.com]

Interesting reading this so many years later, particularly when hearing what he says then and how things don't seem that much different than now.

So this is where all those Jagger quotes came from! I too have read alot of this article but in sporatic patches from different sources. The Time is on Our Side database , Track Talk is based almost entirely on this one piece. . Nice to see it all in one place and IN CONTEXT. Thanks for the link treaclefingers! Peace.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:37

Jan & Mick - Rolling Stones HQ - 46a Maddox Street, London - March 1969

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: August 25, 2011 02:46

Great read! It's reasons like this interview that have kept me checking in with IORR for all these years.

Thanks for posting...it killed plenty of time...about the whole afternoon!

Date: August 25, 2011 02:54

lettingitbleed
Great read! It's reasons like this interview that have kept me checking in with IORR for all these years.

It is quite a long article but I found very worth the read. I did find it odd they didn't really get into Bill Wyman leaving, given that had happened fairly recently.

Date: August 25, 2011 03:09

treaclefingers
lettingitbleed

It is quite a long article but I found very worth the read. I did find it odd they didn't really get into Bill Wyman leaving, given that had happened fairly recently.

I think the Bill thing was still an open sore at that point. They had to put their energy into moving on.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 25, 2011 04:48

excellent.

and this is probably why Jagger feels no immediate need for an autobiography. it's all there...
...at least the stuff I'm interested in. And it seems that the other stuff is stuff that Mick has
little or no desire to discuss...so he probably never will.

i hope Wenner interviews him again soon....for the sequel.

Keith could've learned a few things from this interview (before writing his autobio)...like
how to make one's feelings known without making juvenile attacks.

this really shows what we all knew..MJ's intelligence.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: August 25, 2011 05:04

The Stones have certainly benefitted over the years from gobs of fawning press in Rolling Stone magazine, and from Jann Wenner in particular. Unfortunately, I think Jann's over-the-top suck-upage has damaged his magazine's reputation to a degree, and also hasn't done the Stones and Mick any favors in, say, the last 20 or so years. Good press from Jann/Rolling Stone magazine is greeted with an eye-roll and skepticism. And understandably so. Goddess in the Doorway: the first 5-star album since Automatic for the People. Uh, huh...yeah, right. Jann, why don't you just simply ASK Mick if you can suck his dick?

Still, this is a nice interview. There's no way Jann would allow it to be anything but a piece that shows Mick in absolutely the most flattering light. And it's nice that there is a rock rag that still treats a grizzled old veteran (and Mick was that even way back in '95) with the respect shown in this article.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 25, 2011 05:17

Thanks for posting this. I had this issue of Rolling Stone when it first came out and I somehow lost it. At the time, I thought that it was (and arguably still is) one of the best Jagger interviews I had read.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 25, 2011 05:19

rocker1
The Stones have certainly benefitted over the years from gobs of fawning press in Rolling Stone magazine, and from Jann Wenner in particular. Unfortunately, I think Jann's over-the-top suck-upage has damaged his magazine's reputation to a degree, and also hasn't done the Stones and Mick any favors in, say, the last 20 or so years. Good press from Jann/Rolling Stone magazine is greeted with an eye-roll and skepticism. And understandably so. Goddess in the Doorway: the first 5-star album since Automatic for the People. Uh, huh...yeah, right. Jann, why don't you just simply ASK Mick if you can suck his dick?

Still, this is a nice interview. There's no way Jann would allow it to be anything but a piece that shows Mick in absolutely the most flattering light. And it's nice that there is a rock rag that still treats a grizzled old veteran (and Mick was that even way back in '95) with the respect shown in this article.

can't really disagree.....but thankfully Wenner asked enough RIGHT questions that
allowed Mick (because of their friendship etc...) to be comfortable & give thoughtful answers.
Apparently MJ respects JW enough NOT to give him flippant responses.

and since it was a verbatim question/answer thing......all the other JW/RS Mag baggage
isn't very relevant. The questions were relatively short and to the point without
overly flattering the interviewee.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 25, 2011 05:28

The true brilliance of the interview is what Mick can/does remember. A great read, possibly the best Jagger interview ever in terms of actually having Mick say something.

Great post treacle! I have two copies of this issue but finding it online is always a plus!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 25, 2011 06:56

rocker1

Agree, but its precisely Wenner's 'over-the-top-suck-uppage' that allows Jagger to just speak freely and honestly. He's not as guarded because his cock is being stroked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-25 06:57 by stupidguy2.

Date: August 25, 2011 07:53

DragonSky
The true brilliance of the interview is what Mick can/does remember. A great read, possibly the best Jagger interview ever in terms of actually having Mick say something.

Great post treacle! I have two copies of this issue but finding it online is always a plus!

Thanks DS...I only have one copy of that RS issue. You must be a fanatic! smileys with beer

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: August 25, 2011 17:18

A good read. Thankssmoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 25, 2011 17:37

treaclefingers

[www.jannswenner.com]

Nice online find, thanks for sharing treacle smileys with beer

Date: August 25, 2011 19:24

It all reminds me of the Some Girls tour and the absolute blasting the group was getting in the pages of Rolling Stone magazine. The album had gotten an awful review and the headline for the tour was SHATTERED, and not in a good way. Reports came back that Jagger was pissed and refusing Rolling Stone reporters access. Suddenly there was a reassessment of the album in the magazine and things smoothed out. It's almost like there was a punk rebellion by the younger staff against the Stones and Jann had to step in and kiss a little ass to get back in the good graces of the group.

The Stones were still enduring the nightmare of Keith's heroin bust in Toronto and things were very fragile. It was probably the massive sales of the album and the worldwide smash of 'Miss You' and the surprising popularity of 'Beast of Burden' that got the band through the summer of '78. Then they almost blew it with Jagger's terrible, croaked out performance on Saturday Night Live, that left people cold with his creepy licking of Ron Wood's face. Wood looked obviously uncomfortable. Allegedly Jagger sounded so bad because he partied all week with the likes of Belushi. (Coke is notoriously bad on the throat). Anyone who has seen the rehearsals on bootleg know they band sounded great earlier in the week.

The whole stress of that time with Keith seems to have laid the foundation for the Jagger/Richards split. You can still see the closeness on the '75 and '76 tours, but after the group stood by Keith through the '77 bust until the '79 Concert For the Blind in Canada, it looks like a real distancing took place between Mick and Keith. And, with the subsequent good reviews the Stones always got in Rolling Stone afterward, it looks like Mick and Jann got a lot closer.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 25, 2011 20:58

24FPS
It all reminds me of the Some Girls tour and the absolute blasting the group was getting in the pages of Rolling Stone magazine. The album had gotten an awful review and the headline for the tour was SHATTERED, and not in a good way. Reports came back that Jagger was pissed and refusing Rolling Stone reporters access. Suddenly there was a reassessment of the album in the magazine and things smoothed out. It's almost like there was a punk rebellion by the younger staff against the Stones and Jann had to step in and kiss a little ass to get back in the good graces of the group.

The Stones were still enduring the nightmare of Keith's heroin bust in Toronto and things were very fragile. It was probably the massive sales of the album and the worldwide smash of 'Miss You' and the surprising popularity of 'Beast of Burden' that got the band through the summer of '78. Then they almost blew it with Jagger's terrible, croaked out performance on Saturday Night Live, that left people cold with his creepy licking of Ron Wood's face. Wood looked obviously uncomfortable. Allegedly Jagger sounded so bad because he partied all week with the likes of Belushi. (Coke is notoriously bad on the throat). Anyone who has seen the rehearsals on bootleg know they band sounded great earlier in the week.

The whole stress of that time with Keith seems to have laid the foundation for the Jagger/Richards split. You can still see the closeness on the '75 and '76 tours, but after the group stood by Keith through the '77 bust until the '79 Concert For the Blind in Canada, it looks like a real distancing took place between Mick and Keith. And, with the subsequent good reviews the Stones always got in Rolling Stone afterward, it looks like Mick and Jann got a lot closer.

Interesting interview, used to find it boring but I was wrong. I think the split came in 1980 when Keith quit heroin. The bust in Toronto probably sealed the deal for Mick but the real split (probably) came later due to Keiths change - coke and heroin to coke and booze.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-25 21:00 by Redhotcarpet.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home