Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sir Charlie Watts ??
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 4, 2016 23:15

Not really familiar with Richard Houghton other than seeing his tweets on Twitter regarding Rolling Stones. Aware he wrote a book about them titled "You had to be There- The Rolling Stones Live 1962-69". Sure it's been discussed here (perhaps by him?) but could not locate thread(s).

He currently has an online petition calling for the knighting of Charlie.

[www.change.org]
"Charlie Watts has drummed with the Rolling Stones for 54 years and is the cornerstone of their success as one of Britain's most successful and biggest earning acts in popular music. He is also an example to everyone in how to be polite and well mannered and, to mark his 75th birthday, he should be considered for a knighthood."
[twitter.com]

Any thoughts on this? Am aware of Keith's objection to knighthood, but has Charlie ever commented?

Re: Sir Charlie Watts ??
Date: June 4, 2016 23:21

Not sure if he would accept it..

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 4, 2016 23:25

No pop-singer, pop-star etc, should be awarded a knighthood. It’s utterly ludicrous. Furthermore, so is the ‘knighting’ of any living person. Let’s abolish the whole thing, I say.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 4, 2016 23:30

Big Al
No pop-singer, pop-star etc, should be awarded a knighthood. It’s utterly ludicrous. Furthermore, so is the ‘knighting’ of any living person. Let’s abolish the whole thing, I say.

Why not, if they've done a lot for the economy, done extensive charitable work, done wonders for the national image, or whatever? I don't care either way about the whole "knighting" (and "daming"?) thing, but it's the national way of giving people props for a job well done, recognition of having been important to the country. Seems harmless.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 4, 2016 23:37

Charlie would wear it well.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 5, 2016 00:58

latebloomer
Charlie would wear it well.

thumbs up

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 5, 2016 01:28

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 21:01 by jambay.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 5, 2016 01:30

I hope it's true. Imagine how well turned-out he will and presumably will have fun deciding what to wear from his extensive wardrobe of custom-made suits.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 07:42

Big Al

Well, the whole royalty thing is fkn ludicrous, right? I mean it's essentially a fairy tale (a lie) about a family that has a divinely given right to rule over others, to not pay taxes, to run their own religion, and invade sovereign states just because, and back in the day they employed an executioner for special events.

But, hey, as long as the brits are happy with the ludicrous fairy tale, why not a living knight who's a drummer? It's their tax dollars at work.

What's the point of knighting someone if they're dead? Where's the fun in that?

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 5, 2016 08:31

camper88
Well, the whole royalty thing is fkn ludicrous, right? I mean it's essentially a fairy tale (a lie) about a family that has a divinely given right to rule over others, to not pay taxes, to run their own religion, and invade sovereign states just because, and back in the day they employed an executioner for special events.

But, hey, as long as the brits are happy with the ludicrous fairy tale, why not a living knight who's a drummer? It's their tax dollars at work.

What's the point of knighting someone if they're dead? Where's the fun in that?

"not pay taxes" - happily that's no longer the case in the UK.

"knighting someone if they are dead" - when has that happened?

Royalty, and all of its in-bred collateral effects and undeserved privilege, is a grotesque anomaly that should be abolished as soon as possible. (At the moment I have caution about replacing it with an elected President!).

I was at an exhibition opening once where it was amazingly crowded, and we ended up filing slowly past the exhibits in a crush. I was immediately behind two young members of the Royal Family (unidentified). We came to a particular exhibit of a tap that appeared to be suspended in air with water flowing out of it. They were wholly and totally and completely able to deduce how it was done. Their conversation had to be heard to be believed.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 08:42

DandelionPowderman

Yes Charlie would accept it..... I think your getting him confused with Keith, who says he wouldn't, but is unlikely to be offered it anyway!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 5, 2016 10:40

Charlie would just say, 'That's nice of them', and then smile. winking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:12

strat72
DandelionPowderman

Yes Charlie would accept it..... I think your getting him confused with Keith, who says he wouldn't, but is unlikely to be offered it anyway!

i don't think you understand how this works. they would never offer it to someone who would reject it. they ask through back channels before hand.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:58

camper88
quote]

Many of us Brit's, are not happy with it. I was a little unnecessarily over-the-top in my posting, yesterday, though.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 5, 2016 12:11

jambay
I would bet money and can clearly see Charlie's reaction to "Wanna be knighted?"...
by first giving a blank stare... and then a pause, then maybe a sniff... and then he would just walk away, with his wife (who would chuckle a bit at all of it), as they start talking about horses or the weather or something... and that would be that.

>grinning smiley< Sums it up perfectly. I think that's pretty much what would happen !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 5, 2016 12:56

Why not make him a lord then? Lord Watts. So that he can call Commander his singer...

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 6, 2016 01:46

Ignore the ludicrous words "Knight" and "Lord".

If a sovereign State (eg USA, France, UK) wants to honour one of its citizens because of the value they have however added to the society, then why on earth shouldn't they?

In the USA there's the Medal of Honor (which is often posthumous - a style someone queried).

In France there's the the Légion d'Honneur (eg awarded to Bob Dylan).

So what's so utterly wrong about the concept of a Honour?

(Repeat: Calling it something like "Knight" or "Lord" and associating it with royalty is utterly ludicrous).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 6, 2016 02:16

I'm a great fan of Charlie....but as earlier mentioned he wouldn't accept it as just an ordinary drummer in a R&R band..............
25 years in a band 5 years working and 20 years hanging around...he probably would say the same thing today 54 years in a band 14 years working and 40 years hanging around.............

He deserved it in my opinion for his 50+ years married as a Rock and Roller.................

Date: June 6, 2016 19:08

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 6, 2016 20:28

I highly doubt it, Charlie doesn't need a huge kit.

Date: June 7, 2016 04:04

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: June 7, 2016 14:53

Big Al
It’s utterly ludicrous. Furthermore, so is the ‘knighting’ of any living person.

Historically though, dead knights were pretty useless. You might be confusing knights with saints.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 7, 2016 15:07

jambay
I would bet money and can clearly see Charlie's reaction to "Wanna be knighted?"...
by first giving a blank stare... and then a pause, then maybe a sniff... and then he would just walk away, with his wife (who would chuckle a bit at all of it), as they start talking about horses or the weather or something... and that would be that.

Nah,he and especially his wife would love it . .

Date: June 7, 2016 16:11

Limbostone
Big Al
It’s utterly ludicrous. Furthermore, so is the ‘knighting’ of any living person.

Historically though, dead knights were pretty useless. You might be confusing knights with saints.

Indeed.

Not for nothing, dead saints haven't been any more useful.

Charlie: "Yeah, Oh, yeah, they'll never make A knight of me."

you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 7, 2016 16:17

He should be knighted for services to fashion and to rock'n'roll

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-07 16:20 by 1962.

Date: June 7, 2016 16:36

Maybe if they included tickets to some of the upcoming live Rolling Stones concerts and told he can bring along one of his grand kids, then maybe Charlie would jump at the chance to be nighted.

Date: June 8, 2016 01:37

With Keith's iron constitution, they'd have to make a fortknight of him.

you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 8, 2016 02:12

Turner68
strat72
DandelionPowderman

i don't think you understand how this works. they would never offer it to someone who would reject it. they ask through back channels before hand.

On the contrary Turner68, it is you that doesn't understand how it works. Lots of people have rejected honours.

Stephen Hawking, David Bowie, Peter O'Toole, or more recently last years Oscar winner Mark Rylance all turned down knighthoods. I think even Churchill refused a dukedom!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 8, 2016 04:30

hell yeah based on rip this joint alone.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: June 8, 2016 06:14

I wonder if Charlie would repeat his famous "Its got no wheels on it.....no wheels!!"

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home