Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: Metallica and Lou Reed's new album
Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:53

I'm a huge Metallica fan and I gotta say that I'm not very fond of this collaboration,
but on the other hand I sure do respect the guys for trying to do something different for a change.
I do like those brilliant photos taken by Anton Corbijn and my kudos to Metallica and Lou Reed for taking
chances and not playing it safe like other bands would probably have done at this stage in their career.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 14:44

TeddyB1018
VoodooLounge13
Gave it a listen on the website. Quite possibly the single worst thing I've ever heard! I will actually have a gap in my Metallica collection. No way I'm wasting money on this thing.

And of course, this is the first and only Metallica record to make my collection. And I'm friendly with Kirk and Robert!

There's three or four worthwhile tracks, but Junior Dad alone makes the project a success, adding a significant new song to Lou's oeuvre, which isn't easy when you've made thirty plus albums.

Hey Teddy,
If you're close to them, I'd suggest telling them to get back in the studio so that we don't have to wait another 3 years for a new Metallica album to erase this one from our memories!!

Gazza seems to be spot-on here - if you're a Lou Reed fan (which I'm really not) you're loving it, if you're a Metallica fan (which I am) you're loathing it. I really had to force myself to keep listening to it. Man, and I thought Bob Dylan's voice was bad!! Never ceases to amaze me what passes for music.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 14:47

The Stones
I'm a huge Metallica fan and I gotta say that I'm not very fond of this collaboration,
but on the other hand I sure do respect the guys for trying to do something different for a change.
I do like those brilliant photos taken by Anton Corbijn and my kudos to Metallica and Lou Reed for taking
chances and not playing it safe like other bands would probably have done at this stage in their career.

This is VERY true! We definitely have to respect that, for sure! There are not very many artists out there who would even consider putting out something that takes a Risk - Bruce springs to mind as another one with the Sessions Band. But honestly, I just don't know how many artists out there carry the weight to be able to tell their record company, Hey look this is what we're going to do and you're going to put it out.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 10, 2011 14:52

Getting ever more curious.
Tonights the night I'll pick it up without listening to it beforehand.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 10, 2011 15:04

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 10, 2011 15:18

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 10, 2011 15:33

Gazza
Seems to have annoyed the Metallica fans more than the Lou fans, going by the outrage.

I've heard Lou do worse, to be honest, although I havent listened to much of it yet.

Cant stand heavy metal at all, so I wouldnt pretend to know the difference between a good or a bad Metallica album.

- I´m a fan of Lou´s and I gotta say that I was really suprised when I heard the news that he was goin to work with those metalheads, I dont know if this is a good or a bad Metallica album, but from Lou - it´s a real dissapointment ,
It´s crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 15:33 by seitan.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 10, 2011 16:00

Being a fan of Mr. Lou Reed music, I find this album one of his best in years. It's straightforward and very emotional unlike his recent previous works. Obviously him and Metallica's had something to share.

I also like their performance at Jools Holland TV show. You can see Lou feels very concerned by his music, which hasn't always been the case the past years.

To me it's the best surprise of the year in music so far.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 10, 2011 16:17

kowalski
Being a fan of Mr. Lou Reed music, I find this album one of his best in years. It's straightforward and very emotional unlike his recent previous works. Obviously him and Metallica's had something to share.

I also like their performance at Jools Holland TV show. You can see Lou feels very concerned by his music, which hasn't always been the case the past years.

To me it's the best surprise of the year in music so far.

It's actually Lou's ONLY proper album in years. Eight, to be precise. The Raven came out in 2003.

I think it's very good, give or take. I disagree with you about it being 'very emotional' in comparison to his 'recent' stuff. Unless you mea those excursions into ambient music (Hudson River) or - literal - metal (machine music). Ecstasy was an angry, sneering break-up album, albeit with its poignant moments (Tatters). And then The Raven wasn't without its moments of pure pathos (Who Am I, for example).

Junior Dad - Lulu's finale - is simply stunning.

Gazza's right. The album has met with hostility from Metallica fans more than Lou fans. Lou fans are used to this kind of stuff. And I, for one, consider Like A Possum and Rock Minuet among the best things he's done.

That said, even with the best blinkers money and love can buy, no way is that Jools Holland anything but a car crash. Both songs are dreadful - and that, almost entirely because of Lou. Metallica do what they do with aplomb and Lou tries to keep up. And fails. It would have worked fine if Lou had his usual road band - Rathke/Saunders and Tony Smith - as back-up.

Date: November 10, 2011 16:31

Nikolai
That said, even with the best blinkers money and love can buy, no way is that Jools Holland anything but a car crash. Both songs are dreadful - and that, almost entirely because of Lou. Metallica do what they do with aplomb and Lou tries to keep up. And fails. It would have worked fine if Lou had his usual road band - Rathke/Saunders and Tony Smith - as back-up.

Lou looks very nervous for sure. That's why I'm curious to see how they perform at their next TV shows.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 17:35

I think the real point of this record can be seen in the 130 posts about it!, it has stirred up a lot of shit and Lou is the master shit-stirrer of all time, from Venus in Furs to MMM to today, what a guy smiling smiley

In honor I just played the Velvet Underground album (III), that record is a truly great rock album and has always gone hand in hand with Let It Bleed amongst my 60`s favourites, as Stones fans we should maybe consider in comparison how tired our guys have been recently , this Loutallica thing is no masterpiece but for me its a more successful listen than Superheavy.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 10, 2011 20:23

I gave up on Metallica once Cliff bit the bullet

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 11, 2011 00:05

andy js

Hey man, I've got a similar story here. I gave up on AC/DC when Bon Scott kicked the bucket. It's been one big shit sandwich after that.....

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 11, 2011 00:07

DREADFUL album. Dreadful. Save your money

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 11, 2011 11:41

andy js

Cliff was obviously the one capable to trasnscend individual talents into a GIGANTIC musical entity. Since 1986 it's been going downhill. Maybe they should bring back McGovney? grinning smiley

Date: November 12, 2011 14:08

Lou Reed and Metallica live on German 1Live radio (full show)

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-12 15:28 by kowalski.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 28, 2011 23:42

kowalski
Lou Reed and Metallica live on German 1Live radio (full show)

[www.youtube.com]

Oh man, this is so bad...

Date: November 29, 2011 01:04

TooTough

Oh man, this is so bad...

They did better on Italian TV :

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home