Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Are The Stones dead as a band?
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 19, 2011 19:05

Mick has been finished with Keith before................Steel Wheels was the result. Biggest tour in history at the time.

If they never tour again it is for another reason - the world economy. How many of us would not think twice about spending big bucks on tickets for multiple shows nowadays ? How many "tourists" with bills to pay would go out of curiosity ?

sc uk

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 19, 2011 19:30

flacnvinyl
Most of all, we don't want another Bridges to Babylon or Dirty Work.

Speak for yourself. Anything as good as those two albums (albeit it without the dated production / mix of DW) would be fantastic.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 19, 2011 19:43

They take these breaks after every tour....this one isn't any different.

But this particular break is slightly different in that they are all getting older and the need to get back on the road isn't as strong. The 50th is coming up next year...all they gotta do is wait around for that...come together, decide what they're going to do...do the tour...and that's it. The last tour proved just how much they were running on fumes. To me, it's clear through Mick, Ronnie and Charlie that they'd be fine with calling it a day at this point.

Keith, on the other hand, would miss it. He's been so used to having "the tour" as that thing that at the end of the tunnel to look forward to. 1-2 years off...but not to worry..a new tour was around the corner. he misses that rush and that audience too much. The other guys I'd bet miss it just as much but they have OTHER projects going on to satisfy those urges. Keith does not. And it seems the only project he wants to devote ANY time to is his beloved child, The Rolling Stones. It's going to be hardest for him than for anyone else in the band.

Date: August 19, 2011 19:51

Justin

But this particular break is slightly different in that they are all getting older and the need to get back on the road isn't as strong. The 50th is coming up next year...all they gotta do is wait around for that...come together, decide what they're going to do...do the tour...and that's it. The last tour proved just how much they were running on fumes. To me, it's clear through Mick, Ronnie and Charlie that they'd be fine with calling it a day at this point.

Keith, on the other hand, would miss it. He's been so used to having "the tour" as that thing that at the end of the tunnel to look forward to. 1-2 years off...but not to worry..a new tour was around the corner. he misses that rush and that audience too much. The other guys I'd bet miss it just as much but they have OTHER projects going on to satisfy those urges. Keith does not. And it seems the only project he wants to devote ANY time to is his beloved child, The Rolling Stones. It's going to be hardest for him than for anyone else in the band.

I think Ronnie would really miss it too. The Faces thing is only something he's doing because there's no Stones project.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 19, 2011 19:59

Sleepy City
Justin

I think Ronnie would really miss it too. The Faces thing is only something he's doing because there's no Stones project.

Ronnie would do much more long-term projects if only the Stones were completely removed from his schedule. He has to dance around scheduling issues just so he can keep himself open to any Stones plans. Once that is erased, I suspect Ronnie will have more freedom to perhaps extend a bigger Faces commitment, perhaps write and record more albums, maybe even tour on his own or do a few shows, or at least keep himself busy with guest spots with other acts (which he is fond of doing). Ronnie has kept busy. Keith has not.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: August 19, 2011 20:00

Reminds me a TV-scetch, called "Dinner For One" (90th birthday party), which is repeated every new years evening in Germany:

The Rolling Stones dialog will go like this:

Keith: „The same procedure as last tour, Mick?“ - „The same procedure as every tour, Keef“

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-19 20:01 by HighwireC.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: August 19, 2011 20:02

Much ado about nothing. I firmly believe they will tour at least once more and have been saying that all along since the last tour. If for whatever reason they don't decide to give it another go, I will always treasure the music and good times they brought the world. I find it amusing that a lot of the same people who say they won't pay to go see them again may very well be the first ones in line to buy tickets should another tour occur.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 19, 2011 20:16

flacnvinyl
with Andy Johns on the mixing console and Jack White producing,.

Andy Johns mixing? Jack White producing? Andy was great in 1971 but I doubt he could pull off anything exciting in 2011 without J. Miller (RIP) or his big brother Glyn to hold his hand. He went off the deep end and is not the same in my opinion. I'm guessin his ears are blown. About all he did for the Stones was push "record" and "stop" , set up a few mics, try to kiss Keith's ass and keep his job.

Jack White? My god mate please keep this poser away from our precious stones. Let him sell T-shirts, restring the guitars maybe , but produce? Not a chance, he just doesn't begin to have the skills to handle our Stones. He can hardly play the guitar. peace.

Date: August 19, 2011 20:21

This is the guy who should be producing The Rolling Stones again.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 19, 2011 20:30

"Keith: „The same procedure as last tour, Mick?“ - „The same procedure as every tour, Keef“"

smiling smiley That was hilarious.

And that show is shown also in Finnish TV every New Year's Eve. Marvelous and funny.

Date: August 19, 2011 20:35

Sleepy City

He looks the part, who is he? It's been said before the Stones "produce" the Stones , in the way they were taught to do so by Jimmy Miller. It would be interesting to have Eddie Kramer back in the studio with them in some capacity. He still does exciting things and has mad skills with the faders...
peace.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 19, 2011 20:44

Sleepy City

That's ALO, ain't it ?!

Date: August 19, 2011 20:53

Edith Grove
Sleepy City

That's ALO, ain't it ?!

It certainly is! smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:00

Sleepy City
Edith Grove
Sleepy City

That's ALO, ain't it ?!

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a very high regard for Mick, so that would never happen. It could be a very interesting idea otherwise!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:11

Producers can't make up for poor songs. Until that situation is rectified you could dig up Jimmy Miller himself and it wouldn't matter.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:18

Edith Grove
I like this one:

Edith, you're a doggone badass!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:22

Dead as a Band !!! That's not the first thing that came up to my mind after their last O2 show. It's unimaginable for them to be as close as in the 60's or 70's. In terms of creativity, I agree they have given all what they could. A while ago I dreamed of a new SMU. Now it's too late. Keith prefer to write books and be honored by some musical community. That's his choice.

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:23

71Tele
Producers can't make up for poor songs. Until that situation is rectified you could dig up Jimmy Miller himself and it wouldn't matter.

Let's face it, the two key principal players can't stand to be in the same room with one another let alone get down to some serious song writing. I am sure Don Was knows it's over.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:24

Age and the economy seem to be the consensus as the biggest variables for the fate of future tours.

Age - they're hovering around the 70 year mark. So even pluralizing the word 'tour' is sketchy. One more tour is realistic. These guys aren't elderly bluesmen - sorry. They're pampered and soft millionares. The aging factor first dangled and joked about 22 years ago is now a reality.

Economy - things have been shite since the 2008 crash, which happened AFTER their last show in 2007. We know they're motivated by cash first, and they can't seem to tour without their 55 truck circus anymore. They can't streamline themselves and tour like most younger bands because they're not just a band that can plan something quick and rock out. ALL THEY ARE is a Vegas Mega-show now, and this economy won't allow for that, especially since things are getting worse again.

Neither of those variables, which are HUGE in my opinion, have anything to do with the fact that Jagger seems busy, refreshed, and into Super Heavy. When was the last time since Keith's bio that the two of them were seen together? So personally, they're not even on the same planet.

I've accepted that they're done. I don't believe we will ever have another new album, and certainly no more tours from them again.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: August 19, 2011 21:25

71Tele

hey tele , hate to burst yer bubble of bliss but that is EXACTLY what producers try to do....a good one can take a crap song and make even you salivate over the final result. Probably some of your favorite Beatles songs started out pretty lame but were coaxed into greatness with the producers vision. Not always the case but this happens all the friggin time. peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-20 03:26 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 19, 2011 21:31

LOL HighwireC. Dinner for One is one of my all time favorites.
Cheerio Sophie me gal smileys with beer

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: August 19, 2011 22:14

71Tele

Your argument is valid, but I disagree that the songs are bad. There were some excellent tunes on the last album...better production and editing down the number would have made a helluva lot of difference IMO.

Date: August 19, 2011 22:17

thewatchman
71Tele

Let's face it, the two key principal players can't stand to be in the same room with one another let alone get down to some serious song writing. I am sure Don Was knows it's over.

you are completely schizo my friend...what the hell were all the posts about last week?

You're doing a 180 today...next week should be interesting at least! eye popping smiley

Date: August 19, 2011 22:31

treaclefingers
You're doing a 180 today...next week should be interesting at least

Can't wait smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: August 19, 2011 22:33

Rolling Hansie
treaclefingers
You're doing a 180 today...next week should be interesting at least

Can't wait smiling smiley

If I'm being honest...me either! smileys with beer

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 19, 2011 22:52

Sleepy City
Edith Grove
Sleepy City

That's ALO, ain't it ?!

What about this guy?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 19, 2011 23:09

mtaylor
What about this guy?

Bourbon Street bouncer ?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2011 23:10

DragonSky
24FPS
There was some rust to be kicked off on the Steel Wheels tour, but they finally got it together. Expect the same, maybe more next time around. This will be their longest break in band history.

Tattoo You tour, 1982, to 1989 Steel Wheels tour was their longest so far. That's seven years (plus a few months). So far it's been four years. It won't be seven years again until 2014, at which point regardless of this 2012 50 year BS, there won't be anymore Rolling Stones anyway.

Yes, that was their longest interval from the road. But as a band, they convened in 1983 for Undercover (1 year from the '82 tour) and 1986 for Dirty Work (3 years) followed by another 3 before the Steel Wheels album and tour. This is the longest recess the band has taken since their inception, 4 years without facing each other and playing, and it will most likely be 5 years by the time they get down to the business of cutting a few songs and the vaunted 50th Anniversary Tour. (The tour even sounds old already).

Date: August 19, 2011 23:33

24FPS
4 years without facing each other and playing

Are you sure ?

-------------------

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 20, 2011 00:01

His Majesty
They stopped being a band when they split up in mid 80's. They didn't announce it as a split, but that's what it was.

What followed from 90's onwards was more a nostalgia, business thing.

50th anniversary my arse.

This.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home