Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Brian Jones Guitar Solos?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 14, 2011 11:26

Sleepy City
Redhotcarpet
Sleepy City
Redhotcarpet
And he quit playing slide although that live version of Doncha bother me in 1966/67(?)is amazing.

eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Eh?! I've never heard this, where's it from?

And now Im confused! Ive heard a song, live, with Brian on slide, from 1966 or 1967 - not Little red rooster - and Im almost certain its Doncha bother me or some other similar song. It's not a slow blues. I found it on youtube, maybe it was removed. Let's find it, I'll try again.

Are you sure it's not 'I'm Moving On' from '65? There's a couple of versions out there.

It has to be Im moving on, you're right! Still I kind find that version I was looking for.. But thank you, must be Im moving on.

Date: August 14, 2011 11:58

Ooh ooh. Good call SC; It has to be "Movin On".

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: August 14, 2011 14:28

Palace Revolution 2000
Yes, early on Brian would still take the odd solo here and there, but even back then one has to say that Keith was by far the busier lead guitarist. And BU singer.

No he wasn't in 62/63 and even early 64 Brain was the back-up singer, and as far as the guitar goes I'll take my info from someone who's actuaaly been there; Dick Taylor in an interview mid 1999;

BRAIN CAME A BIT MORE WITH READY-MADE REPORTOIRE OF LICKS. BUT KEITH AND I WERE CERTAINLY SORT OF LEARNING AT THE SAME TIME, IN A WAY.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 14, 2011 16:11

thabo
Palace Revolution 2000
Yes, early on Brian would still take the odd solo here and there, but even back then one has to say that Keith was by far the busier lead guitarist. And BU singer.

No he wasn't in 62/63 and even early 64 Brain was the back-up singer, and as far as the guitar goes I'll take my info from someone who's actuaaly been there; Dick Taylor in an interview mid 1999;

BRAIN CAME A BIT MORE WITH READY-MADE REPORTOIRE OF LICKS. BUT KEITH AND I WERE CERTAINLY SORT OF LEARNING AT THE SAME TIME, IN A WAY.

From the recordings we have from '61 to '64 there's really nothing of any proof that Brian ever was the better guitarist. The Little Boy Blue numbers show that Keith had his licks sorted out already, and had developed quite some technique as early as '62, way before he met Brian Jones. Then on the first album Brian's parts only exist of real basic chording. He does stand out on the harmonica, and that was exactly what he considers himself: a harmonical player.

Mathijs

Date: August 14, 2011 18:39

That is a very subtle and clever 'L'.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 14, 2011 22:57

Why should Brian have had solos if Keith was the solo-guitarist? What guitar solos had John on the Beatles records?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 14, 2011 23:00

Come On
What guitar solos had John on the Beatles records?

Long Tall Sally is one that springs to mind (John played the first solo, George played the second):

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: August 14, 2011 23:01

Come On
Get Back and The End contains guitar solos played by John.

Date: August 14, 2011 23:03

Keith was a better rock n roll lead guitarist and Brian was a better blues guitarist (Mona, Little red rooster etc). Keith's solos were good and somtimes very good (Route 66). And great in 1972 (Bye Bye Johnnie) and 1977 (Around and around). You can tell he spent time learning how to play like Chuck Berry. IMO he got that dark feel later with heroin while Brian had it whether he wanted it or not.

Date: August 14, 2011 23:07

Redhotcarpet
Keith was a better rock n roll lead guitarist and Brian was a better blues guitarist (Mona, Little red rooster etc). Keith's solos were good and somtimes very good (Route 66). And great in 1972 (Bye Bye Johnnie) and 1977 (Around and around). You can tell he spent time learning how to play like Chuck Berry. IMO he got that dark feel later with heroin while Brian had it whether he wanted it or not.

Keith was a superb blues guitarist from the beginning. Here's a good example:

Date: August 14, 2011 23:18

Well I dont hear that Sleepy, IMO Keith "got the blues" in 1968/1969. YCAGWYW solo at the R&R circus, the GS solo. That's Keith's blues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-14 23:18 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 15, 2011 08:31

Sleepy City
Come On

Long Tall Sally is one that springs to mind (John played the first solo, George played the second):

grinning smiley You call that a guitar solo?

Date: August 15, 2011 15:04

Redhotcarpet
Keith was a better rock n roll lead guitarist and Brian was a better blues guitarist (Mona, Little red rooster etc).

He? Mona isn't a blues, LRR is simple slide (but fantastic sounding). Here's Keith in '65. No way Jones could have ever played like this.

Mathijs

Date: August 15, 2011 15:17

Mathijs
Here's Keith in '65. No way Jones could have ever played like this.

Mathijs

thumbs up

Let's not forget the solo in this too:

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 16, 2011 01:36

Perty much all solos were handled by Keith. Those that had none in the bridge were often a continuation of the rhythm the two had locked into.

Yeah, "I'm Moving On" has a great dirty slide to it. Wish the recording wasn't so poor.

One bit of geetar noone mentions is the electric slide on "Jigsaw Puzzle". I know Keith was compensating by laying down multiple guitar tracks with different axes to hide Jones' absences, but that one ain't Keith. That's Brian before the final meltdown. Very sloppy too, but it's the least song on the LP anyway. Sure would've loved to hear him play on "Parachute Woman".

Date: August 16, 2011 10:00

TheDailyBuzzherd
Perty much all solos were handled by Keith. Those that had none in the bridge were often a continuation of the rhythm the two had locked into.

Yeah, "I'm Moving On" has a great dirty slide to it. Wish the recording wasn't so poor.

One bit of geetar noone mentions is the electric slide on "Jigsaw Puzzle". I know Keith was compensating by laying down multiple guitar tracks with different axes to hide Jones' absences, but that one ain't Keith. That's Brian before the final meltdown. Very sloppy too, but it's the least song on the LP anyway. Sure would've loved to hear him play on "Parachute Woman".

It's Keith on Jigsaw Puzzle, we can spot that from the bootleg recordings.

Date: August 16, 2011 10:21

TheDailyBuzzherd
One bit of geetar noone mentions is the electric slide on "Jigsaw Puzzle". I know Keith was compensating by laying down multiple guitar tracks with different axes to hide Jones' absences, but that one ain't Keith. That's Brian before the final meltdown. Very sloppy too, but it's the least song on the LP anyway.
Keith on sloppy slide - Brian on mellotron set on flutes. That take alone shows what an innovative musician Brian was. I wonder how much he actually plays on BB?

Date: August 16, 2011 10:29

Sleepy City
Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

I don t know. Im not impressed by these solos, theyre not bad, but there's really nothing special to them. I know Brian didnt play solos but I prefer his slides and rhythms on the blues songs.

Date: August 16, 2011 10:37

Hee hee - please, not the dreaded "Jigsaw Puzzle" debate again!

Date: August 16, 2011 10:57

Redhotcarpet
Sleepy City
Mathijs

Mathijs

thumbs up

I don t know. Im not impressed by these solos, theyre not bad, but there's really nothing special to them. I know Brian didnt play solos but I prefer his slides and rhythms on the blues songs.

I don't think Mathijs meant the solos, but rather the fingerpickin'-style of playing on Looking Tired, which is quite nice in places. But after all it's an outtake, nowhere near the quality the Stones wanted - my guess.

Date: August 16, 2011 11:50

Palace Revolution 2000
Hee hee - please, not the dreaded "Jigsaw Puzzle" debate again!

No need to debate -it's Richards on slide, Wyman on bass, Jones on mellotron in the outro.

Mathijs

Date: August 16, 2011 11:58

Mathijs
Jones on mellotron in the outro.

Mathijs

He plays on most parts of the second half of the song.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 16, 2011 16:52

The only non-slide solo Brian did, to my knowledge, is the Tell Me solo. There was a big discussion about this a couple of years ago and most 'experts' on the site agreed it was probably Brian because they are mere plucked chords. I also think its quite possible that the acoustic solo on Under the Boardwalk is Brian. Other than those two, there are no songs featuring Brian on non-slide solos, which is a real mystery to me. From the I Wanna Be Your Man clip, its clear Brian had the ability to do guitar solos. Yes, I understand that was a slide solo, but, hell, its harder to do that in slide! It seems that Brian and Keith had an agreement from the beginning that Brian would do all the slide stuff and Keith all the standard guitar solos.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 16, 2011 16:59

tonterapi
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs is probably confused with Brian's mellotron on Stray Cat Blues. His mellotron on Jig-Saw is played throughout the entire track.

Date: August 16, 2011 17:15

neptune
The only non-slide solo Brian did, to my knowledge, is the Tell Me solo. There was a big discussion about this a couple of years ago and most 'experts' on the site agreed it was probably Brian because they are mere plucked chords. I also think its quite possible that the acoustic solo on Under the Boardwalk is Brian. Other than those two, there are no songs featuring Brian on non-slide solos, which is a real mystery to me. From the I Wanna Be Your Man clip, its clear Brian had the ability to do guitar solos. Yes, I understand that was a slide solo, but, hell, its harder to do that in slide! It seems that Brian and Keith had an agreement from the beginning that Brian would do all the slide stuff and Keith all the standard guitar solos.

Does that standard chord arpeggio in Tell Me count as a solo? I don't know.

Brian Jones just wasn't into playing solo guitar. I love his slide themes, licks and pieces dearly, though. I Wanna Be Your Man is just downright wonderful.

Date: August 16, 2011 19:49

neptune
Mathijs is probably confused with Brian's mellotron on Stray Cat Blues. His mellotron on Jig-Saw is played throughout the entire track.
I have done that too from time to time. smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2011 20:11

tonterapi
neptune
I have done that too from time to time. smiling smiley

Until recently I believed the myth that Brian was hardly featured on Beggar's Banquet, clearly not true at all! smoking smiley

Date: August 16, 2011 22:19

neptune
tonterapi
Mathijs

Mathijs

I stand corrected, indeed I was confused by Stray Cat AND the fact that in the outro the mellotron features a prominent lead line.

Mathijs

Date: August 16, 2011 22:24

neptune
Yes, I understand that was a slide solo, but, hell, its harder to do that in slide! It seems that Brian and Keith had an agreement from the beginning that Brian would do all the slide stuff and Keith all the standard guitar solos.

Actually -the slide solo to IWBYW is really simple to play, it really is nothing more than a one-note / one-finger solo, where it doesn't really matter whether you play it with that one finger or with a slide. And, the solo is just a copy of the main vocal melody line.

The genius of this solo is the aggression to it. The fact that Jones decided to turn his amp to eleven, whack the top boost to full and hit it with a slide is pure genius for 1963.

Mathijs

Date: August 16, 2011 23:11

Sleepy City
Until recently I believed the myth that Brian was hardly featured on Beggar's Banquet, clearly not true at all! smoking smiley
I would love to see a full "who played what" of that album!

Correction: I would love to see a full "who played what" of every album. :smiling bouncing smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home