Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Brian Jones Guitar Solos?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 13, 2011 10:08

I've asked this question elsewhere but I think it deserves a thread of it's own: did Brian Jones play any RS guitar solos apart from the ones that feature slide (Little Red Rooster, I Can't Be Satisfied, No Expectations, etc)? I can't think of any myself...

Re: Brian Jones Guitar Solos?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 13, 2011 12:07

He plays the key riff on The Last Time which is good enough for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-13 12:07 by Silver Dagger.

Date: August 13, 2011 12:33

Silver Dagger
He plays the key riff on The Last Time which is good enough for me.

It's still Keith who plays the actual solo though...

I'm not putting Brian down as I'm a big fan & enjoy his contributions far more than Taylor / Wood, but I'm just curious.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 13, 2011 12:47

"Remember, [Keith] used to be lead guitarist for the Stones."--Mick Jagger, 1975

"Keith's soloing, and he also jumps a bit more than Brian."--Bill Wyman, History of Rock n Roll video, 1992

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-13 12:50 by stevecardi.

Date: August 13, 2011 12:59

"I play bottle-neck guitar on it. It has one of the best guitar solos I've ever managed."--Brian Jones on I Can't Be Satisfied

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 13, 2011 13:39

I don´t think there´s any known standard guitar solos by Brian.

Apart from the tracks where he played slide, there are some on which he played the lead/main/most important guitar, though.
I´m thinking mainly of these:
(Not including any tracks with his great, more straight rhythm guitar playing)

Roadrunner - lead with some slide
Mona (I Need You Baby) - lead tremolo
It´s All Over Now - main "power chords" guitar
Confessing The Blues - co-lead/rhythm (superb example of the Brian/Keith interplay!)
The Last Time - lead riff

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: August 13, 2011 17:00

I've always liked the way his part on 19th Nervous Breakdown weaves with Keith's riff.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: August 13, 2011 17:16

Didn't we just have this discussion? confused smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 13, 2011 17:18

Don't rate Jones' guitar solos, what there is of them. Brian was undoudtedly a gifted musician but soloing was not his forte'.

Date: August 13, 2011 19:07

crumbling_mice
Don't rate Jones' guitar solos, what there is of them. Brian was undoudtedly a gifted musician but soloing was not his forte'.

What Jones guitar solos have you heard then?

The ones I know about (all slide) are effing brilliant.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 13, 2011 19:31

In my humble opinion, Brian was a very mediocre guitarist, with only very basic chording skills. His slide playing was a bit better, but I have never rated it any higher than 'decent'. To play lead guitar, you need a bit more technical skill than Brian ever had -in my opinion.

Mathijs

Date: August 13, 2011 19:34

Mathijs
In my humble opinion, Brian was a very mediocre guitarist, with only very basic chording skills. His slide playing was a bit better, but I have never rated it any higher than 'decent'. To play lead guitar, you need a bit more technical skill than Brian ever had -in my opinion.

Mathijs

You're probably right, though Brian obviously had other talents such as getting a half-decent tune out of pretty much any instrument he touched & (even better) knowing eactly what to play (& what not to play) to enhance Jagger & Richards compositions. This (as well as his image) is why I much prefer his contributions to Mick Taylor.

Posted by: littlejim13 ()
Date: August 13, 2011 20:15

Didnt he play the "guitar solo" on the British version of Tell me?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 13, 2011 21:58

That's exactly my point sleepy, I can only recall his slide playing and even that I don't rate so highly. He was ahead of the game for a white guy but others soon caught him up and surpassed him in that area.

Date: August 13, 2011 22:11

crumbling_mice
That's exactly my point sleepy, I can only recall his slide playing and even that I don't rate so highly. He was ahead of the game for a white guy but others soon caught him up and surpassed him in that area.

Crumbling Mice, you're certainly entitled to your opinion (as we all are---and the MT years are my favorite as well).

But remember this, Mick Taylor has gone on record saying he learned how to play slide by comping "Little Red Rooster." So in the end, none of this really matters.

Date: August 13, 2011 22:26

stevecardi
crumbling_mice

Crumbling Mice, you're certainly entitled to your opinion (as we all are---and the MT years are my favorite as well).

But remember this, Mick Taylor has gone on record saying he learned how to play slide by comping "Little Red Rooster." So in the end, none of this really matters.

I still think this takes some beating...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2011 23:05

crumbling_mice

Not sure about that. Eventually yes of course. And he quit playing slide although that live version of Doncha bother me in 1966/67(?)is amazing. His personality is what shaped the Stones that he formed. His peronality shines through that slide. His playing was perfect, he sang thru it, it's not anybody, it's Brian Jones and he wants you to know it's him Mick sings about in Little Red Rooster. The rhythm on Mona is as good as it gets. Just brilliant. He got the message, he already had it in him. That devil that has to be in you, a direct communication with the dark side of man. Keith discovered his own in the late 60s and in the 70s.

Date: August 13, 2011 23:19

Redhotcarpet
And he quit playing slide although that live version of Doncha bother me in 1966/67(?)is amazing.

eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Eh?! I've never heard this, where's it from?

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: August 14, 2011 01:20

I remember having read somewhere that in the early Edith days, it was Brain who taught Keith to play the Blues, Keith being more a Chuck Berry player. And also that Brain actually was the lead player in 1962 and 1963 as well as back up vocalist (still to be seen in the Wanna Be Your Man clip). But that it was Andrew who pushed Keith forward from 1964 onward. I vaguely recall that Bill said that Keith was not prominant in the Stones at all in those first years (62 to 64), and that it was Brain's band.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 14, 2011 01:40

Sleepy City
Redhotcarpet
And he quit playing slide although that live version of Doncha bother me in 1966/67(?)is amazing.

I was just going to say the same thing. Where did you hear a live version of Doncha Bother Me?

Rob

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: August 14, 2011 01:44

I don't know how anyone can knock Brian's slide playing. Personally, I thought his slide playing was absolutely brilliant. I've heard other guitarists play slide and not many of them got the sound Brian did.

Rob

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: August 14, 2011 02:08

littlejim13
Didnt he play the "guitar solo" on the British version of Tell me?

Thought that too, but am not sure...probably been answered here somewhere, but cannot find it....it's a great solo who ever does it though.

Date: August 14, 2011 02:13

originalstones
Sleepy City
Redhotcarpet

I was just going to say the same thing. Where did you hear a live version of Doncha Bother Me?

Rob

Maybe he means some other song. Did "Goin Home" or "Have Mercy" have slide on them in '67?

Date: August 14, 2011 02:16

Palace Revolution 2000
Did "Goin Home" or "Have Mercy" have slide on them in '67?

No.

Goin' Home in '67 featured Brian on (superb) harmonica, & the latest Brian-era versions of Have Mercy are from early 1966 & feature a similar arrangement to the released studio version.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: August 14, 2011 03:36

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: August 14, 2011 03:55

klrkcr

Yes that is what I mean in the time the Stones were MADE Keef wasn't that important at all with Brain on lead and doing the backup vocals (as he did in 1962 and 63). Or are some of you now saying this isn't THE Rolling Stones because Keef isn't the lead man??

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-14 04:09 by thabo.

Date: August 14, 2011 06:27

Yes, early on Brian would still take the odd solo here and there, but even back then one has to say that Keith was by far the busier lead guitarist. And BU singer.
And I don't hate Brian, winking smiley.
And I also think Brian was very prominent for several years to come still; just not on guitar.

Thanks for the clarification Sleepy City. I'm not at my Stones music. I keep thinking about that '66 Australian show; the "Do You Like Billy Wyman" boot.

Date: August 14, 2011 10:07

Sleepy City
Redhotcarpet

Still very curious about this Redhotcarpet...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 14, 2011 10:41

Sleepy City
Redhotcarpet

And now Im confused! Ive heard a song, live, with Brian on slide, from 1966 or 1967 - not Little red rooster - and Im almost certain its Doncha bother me or some other similar song. It's not a slow blues. I found it on youtube, maybe it was removed. Let's find it, I'll try again.

Date: August 14, 2011 11:04

Redhotcarpet
Sleepy City
Redhotcarpet

And now Im confused! Ive heard a song, live, with Brian on slide, from 1966 or 1967 - not Little red rooster - and Im almost certain its Doncha bother me or some other similar song. It's not a slow blues. I found it on youtube, maybe it was removed. Let's find it, I'll try again.

Are you sure it's not 'I'm Moving On' from '65? There's a couple of versions out there.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home