Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Real Roadblock To A Stones 2012 Tour
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 12, 2011 17:38

thewatchman
treaclefingers
thewatchman
treaclefingers
In 1981, the US had interest rates of near 20% and the economy was in shambles...interesting that they took 'Tattoo You' on the road rather successfully.

In 2002 they seemed to think it was ok to go on tour, after the collapse of the markets after 9/11.

U2 JUST completed the most successful tour in history.

Watchman, you don't know what you're talking about...give up already.

Good points, sure hope you are right, but that only addresses the economic issue. There are still safety concerns that are very real, and as I said, the world can change overnight and is getting more and more dangerous with each passing day. My guess is that Mick probably doesn't feel all that comfortable with the idea of touring these days from a safety point of view.

I think mick had a helluva lot more to worry about regarding 'safety' after Alamont and the Hell's Angels.

His youthful nerves saw him through.

So your saying he's gotten more 'skittish' with old age? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: August 12, 2011 18:19

Don't know if the OP saw the news today, but it seems pretty likely according to Charlie that the Stones will roll next year in some type of massive stadium tour.

[www.getmein.com]
[www.thesun.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-12 18:20 by James Kirk.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: August 12, 2011 18:25

Ronnie Wood even goes as far as saying in the article that this won't be the last Stones tour.

In an interview Rolling Stones guitarist, Ronnie Wood argued the forthcoming Rolling Stones tour "won’t be the band’s last" and that "the band will “rock till they’ll drop.”
[www.getmein.com]

Has there really ever been a doubt (assuming health stayed good) that the Stones would allow a MASSIVE payday like their 50th anniversary go by without a tour? Don't you guys know Jagger better than that by now?

Now what we need is a truly GREAT late in the game album from the Stones...Mark my words 2012 will be the biggest year for the Stones since the massive "reunion" tour/album that was Steel Wheels back in 1989. Just think of all the fads the band has seen come and go since "89" when they were considered old men.

KEEP ON ROLLING!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-12 18:28 by James Kirk.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: August 12, 2011 18:43

Interestingly, I believe there is some truth to this as I heard talk of a tour a year or so ago got killed because no one came up with the $ guarantee they need to go out again.

Posted by: kater-v ()
Date: August 12, 2011 18:56

Max'sKansasCity
Theres no business, like Show business... LIKE NO BUSINESS I KNOW!!!

Recession resistant... derpression resistant... riot resistant....
Heck, Nero had people buying tickets to see him play a
fiddle, when the devil went down to Georgia, as Rome burned.

...................................... THE DUDE ABIDES
..................... THE STONES WITHSTAND

Not to mention old ass Paul McCartney just completed a copy cat baseball park tour, which the Stones invented.......

THE STONES WILL ROLL...BANK ON IT!!!!!

Max'sKansasCity, would you mind I copy your poster, print it and hung on the wall? smiling smiley It`s just great!

Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: August 12, 2011 19:34

treaclefingers
thewatchman
treaclefingers
thewatchman
treaclefingers
In 1981, the US had interest rates of near 20% and the economy was in shambles...interesting that they took 'Tattoo You' on the road rather successfully.

In 2002 they seemed to think it was ok to go on tour, after the collapse of the markets after 9/11.

Good points, sure hope you are right, but that only addresses the economic issue. There are still safety concerns that are very real, and as I said, the world can change overnight and is getting more and more dangerous with each passing day. My guess is that Mick probably doesn't feel all that comfortable with the idea of touring these days from a safety point of view.

I think mick had a helluva lot more to worry about regarding 'safety' after Alamont and the Hell's Angels.

His youthful nerves saw him through.

So your saying he's gotten more 'skittish' with old age? eye rolling smiley

Exactly. I am eight years younger than Mick and I wouldn't dream of attempting to do some of the things I did in my twenties, thirties, even forties and I am physically still pretty close to what I was twenty, thirty years ago. Just ask golfer Tom Watson (61) if he has the nerves he had twenty and thirty years ago. I used to fear nothing, now I fear my own shadow! Don't get me wrong I am still believing and hoping they are going to do something next summer I just won't be as surprised if they don't the way things are going at present.

Date: August 12, 2011 19:45

James Kirk
Don't know if the OP saw the news today, but it seems pretty likely according to Charlie that the Stones will roll next year in some type of massive stadium tour.

[www.getmein.com]
[www.thesun.co.uk]

Certainly hope it's true, but let's wait for the official announcement before we get to excited. This news has been getting recycled since 2010. Of course I have said all along that they had one eye on 2012 since the last tour concluded, however, Mick isn't going out if conditions are not right. In short, when you hear something official from Mick then you can call it a done deal, but not until.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: August 12, 2011 20:04

The real road block is a tiny todger and a person who takes himself too seriously.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: August 12, 2011 20:10

kater-v
Max'sKansasCity

Not to mention old ass Paul McCartney just completed a copy cat baseball park tour, which the Stones invented.......

Max'sKansasCity, would you mind I copy your poster, print it and hung on the wall? smiling smiley It`s just great!

It belongs on a T Shirt!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 12, 2011 20:17

thewatchman
It belongs on a T Shirt!

It already is:

Date: August 12, 2011 20:18

Fan Since 1964
The real road block is a tiny todger and a person who takes himself too seriously.

Unless of course it was Mick and keith working together to promote and build anticipation towards Mick's spread in Playgirl Magazine? Does that magazine still exist? If not, must be others like it. On the other hand you may damn well be right!

Date: August 12, 2011 20:20

Edith Grove
thewatchman
It belongs on a T Shirt!

It already is:

I want one! Where do I get it?

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 12, 2011 20:25

thewatchman
Edith Grove
thewatchman
It belongs on a T Shirt!

It already is:

I have one in white, oversized XL, has the "Stones Withstand" graphic on the front

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 12, 2011 20:31

thewatchman

[www.google.com]

Date: August 12, 2011 20:41

Edith Grove
thewatchman

[www.google.com]

Thanks, yes, the almighty google.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 12, 2011 20:54

kater-v
Max'sKansasCity

Kater-v,
You can feel free to do whatever you desire with that poster( as far as I concerned smiling smiley.... It is actually the Stones poster .... but I like it... glad you do too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-12 20:56 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 13, 2011 02:57

The US is going to crash if somethng is not done. This may very well scuttle a Stones tour.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 13, 2011 04:08

James Kirk

[www.getmein.com]
[www.thesun.co.uk]

News TODAY? The Sun article clearly says "Published: 24 Jul 2010" and the Getmein article has no date at all but is obviously based on the "news" from 2010.

Sorry, but this is hardly groundbreaking news.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: August 13, 2011 07:11

DragonSky
MKjan
The Stones could summon 1000 of the super wealthy around the world, and charge one million each.
One show and U2 record is gone. Yes, that wouldn't do wonders for the rest of us.

That wouldn't do anything to the U2 record. That's for a tour. What you described is not a tour by any means.

And wholly unrealistic. The 'lucky' 1000 Millionaires are not going to be 'summoned' by anyone let alone to pay one million each for a Stones show. If I had a 100 million I would not give them one million especially since their guitar section is incredibly lame due to drink, drugs, health and age -- and egos.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 13, 2011 14:52

treaclefingers
stevecardi
treaclefingers
thewatchman
treaclefingers

Not exactly: in 1981, I think they all had a helluva lot more to worry about regarding 'saftey' following the assassination of John Lennon.

There's always going to be nutcases. You just have to deal with them---and the Stones have done that remarkably for the last 45 years.

I don't even know what you're getting at...I didn't say anything about safety 1981. I was comparing 1969 to now. You are free to compare 'safety' in 1981 to now, but I wasn't doing that.

I apologize if I offended anyone. I thought you were saying that after 1969, the Stones might have been hesitant to tour because of security threats vis-a-vis the Hells Angels. My point was that in 1981 they still toured less than a year after John Lennon's assassination, which was indeed horrible and tragic (I wasn't trying to compare the Beatles to the Stones). It certainly could not have been far from the Stones' minds that there might be another David Mark Chapman out to try and target them---and I'll go to my grave believing that was the real reason Keith brained that stage-crasher in Hampton ("the guy might have a gun or a knife...." ).

So in the end, I'm agreeing with you two: security has never been any factor as to whether or not the Stones do or do not tour. It's always been a matter of economics---whether or not the time is right to storm the market---and whether or not they want to do it (which we all know was a source of contention between Keith and Mick throughout the 1970s and 1980s.)

So now, the questions are: (1) does Mick want to tour with the Stones knowing they can no longer fill the stadiums, (and in some US markets, even arenas), or would he be willing to swallow his pride and charge less for tickets, scale back the theatrics? (2) the probability of securing insurance; (3) can Keith handle a major tour knowing he's in pain due to his arthritis, which has obviously hindered his playing.

Look, I'd give anything to see the Stones at least one more time (I'm only 29---first show was 1997). Hell, if by some miracle they get Taylor and Wyman back, I'll pay whatever Mick wants to charge. But I don't want to see them if Keith can't play well anymore. He has always been my idol, and I can't bear the thought of him ending his untouchable career on such a sad note.

Then again, he is Keith----and we all know what's happened when people have written him off before. So here's one hoping we'll all get to watch the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world go out on half a century of music.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-13 22:25 by stevecardi.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 13, 2011 15:07

Fan Since 1964

Oh goodie. A riddle ... or is it a ridlle ???

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 13, 2011 16:18

MCDDTLC
If they had Wyman & Taylor back in the fold and lost the backup singers, Blondie
& stuck Chuck off to the side like Stu or Nicky Hopkins use to be...

They would have no problems selling tickets in the States...
Look at what U2 just did..

MLC
Really? Remember that the majority of those attending a Stones concert aren't hardcore fans, and probably don't even know who MT and BW is. What they do cafe about, however, is that the show they are watching is something extraordinaire, and I'm afraid that the Stones of today without the backup musicians wouldn't please others than the hardcore fans.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 13, 2011 20:02

If the Western world is coming to an end, how come I can't get reservations at a hotel in London for the Olympics next summer?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2011 20:25

stevecardi
treaclefingers
stevecardi
treaclefingers
thewatchman
treaclefingers

Not exactly: in 1981, I think they all had a helluva lot more to worry about regarding 'saftey' following the assassination of John Lennon.

There's always going to be nutcases. You just have to deal with them---and the Stones have done that remarkably for the last 45 years.

I don't even know what you're getting at...I didn't say anything about safety 1981. I was comparing 1969 to now. You are free to compare 'safety' in 1981 to now, but I wasn't doing that.

I apologize if I offended anyone. I thought you were saying that after 1969, the Stones might have been hesitant to tour because of security threats vis-a-vis the Hells Angels. My point was that in 1981 they still toured less than a year after John Lennon's assassination, which was indeed horrible and tragic (I wasn't trying to compare the Beatles to the Stones). It certainly could not have been far from the Stones' minds that there might be another David Mark Chapman out to try and target them---and I'll go to my grave believing that was the real reason Keith brained that stage-crasher in Hampton ("the guy might have a gun or a knife....").

So in the end, I'm agreeing with you two: security has never been any factor as to whether or not the Stones do or do not tour. It's always been a matter of economics---whether or not the time is right to storm the market---and whether or not they want to do it (which we all know was a source of contention between Keith and Mick throughout the 1970s and 1980s.)

So now, the questions are: (1) does Mick want to tour with the Stones knowing they can no longer fill the stadiums, (and in some US markets, even arenas), or would he be willing to swallow his pride and charge less for tickets, scale back the theatrics? (2) the probability of securing insurance; (3) can Keith handle a major tour knowing he's in pain due to his arthritis, which has obviously hindered his playing.

Look, I'd give anything to see the Stones at least one more time (I'm only 29---first show was 1997). Hell, if by some miracle they get Taylor and Wyman back, I'll pay whatever Mick wants to charge. But I don't want to see them if Keith can't play well anymore. He has always been my idol, and I can't bear the thought of him ending his untouchable career on such a sad note.

Then again, he is Keith----and we all know what's happened when people have written him off before. So here's one hoping we'll all get to watch the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world go out on half a century of music.

smileys with beer

Date: August 13, 2011 21:12

drbryant
If the Western world is coming to an end, how come I can't get reservations at a hotel in London for the Olympics next summer?

Because people are generally optimistic and oblivious to what is coming maybe? Ever wonder why the Stones wanted nothing to do with performing at the Olympics next summer?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home