Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk: What To Do
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 7, 2016 10:53

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

What To Do

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: 6th - 9th March 1966
Recording location: RCA Studios, Los Angeles, USA
Producer: Andrew Oldham
Engineer: Dave Hassinger

Label: Decca Records SKL 4786 (LP)
Release date: April 15, 1966

Line-up:
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric guitar: Keith Richards
Acoustic guitar: Brian Jones
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Background vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Piano: Ian Stewart
Handclaps: ?

What To Do

What to do, yeah
I really don't know, I really don't know what to do
What to do, yeah, I really don't know
I really don't know

Maybe when the TV stops
Faded out on the epilogue
Watch the screen just fade away
Now I really don't know, I really don't know

What to do, yeah
Well I really don't know, I really don't know what to do
I really don't know

There's a place where you get bored
That's what you make your money for
Drink and dance 'til 4 o'clock
Now you really don't know, you really don't know

What to do, yeah

Nothing to do, nowhere to go
You're talking to people that you don't know
There's no-no-nothing to do, do, do
There's no-no-nothing, no

You really don't know what to do, yeah
Well I really don't know, I really don't know what to do
I really don't know

Hurry people get on your train
Don't be late for work again
I think it's time to go to bed
Now I really don't know, I really don't know

What to do yeah

Nothing to do, nowhere to go
You're talking to people that you don't know
There's no-no-nothing to do, do, do
You're sick and tired of fooling around
There's no-no-nothing
To do, do, do - to do, do, do
To do, do, do
There's no-no-nothing, no-no-nothing
No-no-nothing, no-no-nothing
No-no-nothing, no-no-nothing
No-no...

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-14 11:19 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: What To Do (New)
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 7, 2016 11:05

YES! a BIG favorite of mine. thumbs up Just like 'Good Times' is...(same kind of song )...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 7, 2016 11:07

Handclaps?

Mick and Bill...Keith and Brian would never attempt on such ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 7, 2016 11:07

Even though it's quite a simple song, it's the delivery which makes it work very well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 7, 2016 11:11

Faded out on the epilogue ........

ROCKMAN

Date: March 7, 2016 11:48

I might add, that even though most people would agree Aftermath is one of their good albums, it's not mentioned as often as their "Big Four" (Big Give if you include Get Yer Ya Ya's Out), plus their "Additional Big Two" (Some Girls and Tattoo You).
I think this is mainly because the Stones at this time, while leaving behind their mainly-covering-phase hadn't yet reached the phase where they really found their groovy rock n roll style.
Still, although I don't like Between the Buttons, and only half of Their Satanic, I find Aftermath a perfect pop-album and even when not all songs are equally "brilliant" (for example "What To Do" ), they really belong together and form an album which I wouldn't in any different way. It's an delightful album, and "What To Do" fits in very well with "Think" and "Take It Or Leave It".
Obviously I am referring to the UK version, by the way. The US version puts in "Paint It Black" but I find it doesn't belong on it and it doesn't have "What To Do".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 12:20 by matxil.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 7, 2016 12:10

matxil
Obviously I am referring to the UK version, by the way. The US version puts in "Paint It Black" but I find it doesn't belong on it and it doesn't have "What To Do".

"What To Do" remained unreleased in the U.S. until it was included on "More Hot Rocks" in 1972.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 7, 2016 12:15

Very simple sing-along pop-song. You can take it or leave it, I do not care much about it. The best you can say about Aftermath would be that it is an average album thru and thru. They were just developing their ability to deliver entire albums with original compositions. So most music on Aftermath bores me (just like What To Do).

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 7, 2016 12:35

Love this song. It has a lot of that great singing round the campfire charm and fits in so well with the rest of the album as the Stones drag themselves away from their American r'n'b and blues influences and begin to reflect their London roots.

What To Do is pretty unique, it's a London take on country especially with those corny ba-ba-bas.

On Aftermath Mick's vocal delivery changed and I hear a slight yobby influence coming through - Mother's Little Helper is the best example of that but I can detect it on this song too. It's ever so slightly cockney with a hint of drunken country. Pretty funny but as I said, with a lot of well intentioned charm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 13:25 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 7, 2016 12:57

Aftermath is not my favorite Stones album, but “What to Do” is irresistible. That catchy melody, that loping rhythm … delightful. But it is the 22-year-old Mick Jagger who steals the show here. His vocal performance is amazing, particularly in the “na-na-nuthin'” verses (which just leap out of the speakers), and those charming “bow bow bow bow” backing vox … here is a textbook illustration of why Mick was a superstar virtually from the moment he walked onstage. And those splendid harmonies from Keith are the icing on the cake.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 23:37 by drewmaster.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 7, 2016 17:19

I love this track from their golden era album: "Aftermath"!
I think that Jack Nitzsche was involved.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 7, 2016 17:35

first heard it on More Hot Rocks ... always liked it.

I never knew what they sing in the background of the verses. Anyone know? I always sing it as 'bow bow bow bow'

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 7, 2016 17:44

runaway

That's right he was credit as percussionist...........so maybe he did the hand-clapping grinning smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 7, 2016 17:49

NICOS
runaway

That's right he was credit as percussionist...........so maybe he did the hand-clapping grinning smiley

Thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 7, 2016 18:28

In the U.S. I didn't hear it until 1974 when I bought the cassette of More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies). It wasn't on Flowers, and for some reason never released in the U.S. (until More Hot Rocks). Therefore I was confused, since there was no Wikipedia to sort it out. I had no idea what time period it came from. I assumed it was earlier, but it sounded too sophisticated to be from '64.

Then I found a Buddy Holly album with a song called What To Do on it. I figured the Stones had covered another Holly song, until I heard the Buddy version and it was totally different.

I don't think I ever knew until the SACD remasters and I bought the UK edition of Aftermath. Nice song. Was it ever a B side in Europe?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 7, 2016 18:41

Along with Satisfaction, one of my earliest memories of the Stones - my aunt used to sing this to us when she was babysitting us in the mid '60's- she was a hip gal!
I'm sure we would accompany her with perfect harmonies and backup vocals.winking smiley

And it's the source of my signature below. thumbs up

Nothin' to do, nowhere to go.
You're talkin' to people that you don't know.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 7, 2016 18:45

Somewhat repetitive, but I like it overall. Everything on the UK Aftermath I like in general.

'Gotta Get Away' has a similar rhythm and sound (though don't like the words on 'Gotta Get Away').

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 7, 2016 18:56

HMS
They were just developing their ability to deliver entire albums with original compositions.

For me, that is precisely why Aftermath and also Between The Buttons are delightful listens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 18:57 by nightskyman.

Date: March 7, 2016 20:17

To me, Between the Buttons sounds artificial.
Aftermath sounds fresh, spontaneous and honest. With Aftermath I get the feeling the band had a lot of fun exploring their limits (even Brian, apparantly). On Between the Buttons they sound fake.

Re: Track Talk: What To Do
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 11:17

now this is what i would call filler!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 29, 2016 17:38

matxil
Aftermath sounds fresh, spontaneous and honest. With Aftermath I get the feeling the band had a lot of fun exploring their limits (even Brian, apparantly). On Between the Buttons they sound fake.

Agree with this. BTB is where they started Trying Too Damn Hard for a couple years, until JJF came along. Aftermath, esp. the UK version, is a great album where MJ was singing at his best before or after.

Date: March 29, 2016 19:23

StonesCat
matxil

Agree with this. BTB is where they started Trying Too Damn Hard for a couple years, until JJF came along. Aftermath, esp. the UK version, is a great album where MJ was singing at his best before or after.

Partly agree, but I would call it experimenting and evolving.

And they went beyond success with songs like RT, LSTNT, Back Street Girl, 2000 LYFH, She's A Rainbow, We Love You, Dandelion, Child Of The Moon and Citadel, imo.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 30, 2016 00:34

More Hot Rocks is the perfect counterbalance to Hot Rocks.

I am of the Hot Rocks/More Hot Rocks generation. That's how I discovered the Stones as a somewhat late Baby Boomer. I smiled to see how they put the classic cover of Hot Rocks in their video intro to their recent tours. It's a nod to the millions that discovered the Rolling Stones from those two double-albums.

I love the Rolling Stones doing pop and psychedelia, just love it!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 30, 2016 08:26

MileHigh
More Hot Rocks is the perfect counterbalance to Hot Rocks.

. I smiled to see how they put the classic cover of Hot Rocks in their video intro to their recent tours. It's a nod to the millions that discovered the Rolling Stones from those two double-albums.

quote]

If I'm not mistaken don't they cut away at the end before they get to Bill?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home