Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sympathy for the Devil - David Frost show - 1968
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 23, 2008 23:52

I think this is deserving of extra exposure due the the work that has gone in to it. It seems the other forums get ignored at times, so yeah, dig this...

[www.iorr.org]

Re: Sympathy for the Devil - David Frost show - 1968
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 24, 2008 00:33

mighty mighty fine - thank you lenchik ~ thank you HM ~ thank you Rolling Stones!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 24, 2008 01:41

Thanks for the heads-up, Majesty

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 24, 2008 01:55

Thanks for posting ......I missed it in 2007

Date: March 24, 2008 01:59

posts like that inspire me and remind why I am a member of this forum! He could have saved that work for himself, instead he chose to share it!!! smoking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 24, 2008 02:42

I missed it before, too!
Thanks a lot!
Nice clip ... the Stones were so beautiful, yet they moved around so sloppily in those tv clips. And I love it. Precious few shots of Brian behind that piano.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 24, 2008 04:56

Missed this the first time...thanks for bringing this up again His Majesty...and thanks so much for your great work, lenchik!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-24 04:57 by Sohoe.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 24, 2008 06:14

Lip sync. Painful.

Date: March 24, 2008 17:25

That's badass.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 24, 2008 17:35

Dunno if that was actual lip synching. At the end the vocal is live so it may have been like that throughout the original airing. I'm guessing. I really don't know. Mick isn't exactly going by the words.

I like it. It seems very odd to see Brian Jones doing something.

Posted by: kensbro ()
Date: March 24, 2008 21:44

I saw this live when it was broadcast. I was listening to wonderful Radio London, the pirate station, as I remember, and the D.J. whispered that despite what he was playing, he was watching something better on The David Frost Show. No doubt he whispered as telling listeners to watch TV was not encouraged.
It is such a thrill to see it again 40 years later.

Posted by: lenchik ()
Date: March 25, 2008 01:08

This performance had live vocals, but the sources I got were dubbed with voice-over, so I had to replace the audio track to make it more enjoyable. The bit featured on "Boys and Girls: Sex and British Pop" doc had already common studio version dubbed.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 28, 2012 06:48

This is fantastic. What do you think is live and what's recorded? I think Mick's vocals are live, backup vocals obviously not, not sure about Keith's solo, don't think Brian is playing piano tho my friend says he is

-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-28 06:50 by swiss.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 28, 2012 08:09

swiss
This is fantastic. What do you think is live and what's recorded? I think Mick's vocals are live, backup vocals obviously not, not sure about Keith's solo, don't think Brian is playing piano tho my friend says he is

-swiss

I've never seen that before. Great to see. At the end I thought "How is the audience going to react to Mick's devil tattoo after he takes his shirt off?" like in ROCK N ROLL CIRCUS. And then his torso was unmarked. Made for an odd conclusion here. "What's the singer doing on his knees with his head down?" But I loved seeing this.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 8, 2012 03:50

glad to finally get to see the complete performance

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 8, 2012 06:43

swiss

-swiss

Just one listen. I think just the lead vocals are live. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 8, 2012 06:55

It's Pythonesque with the incongruity between the Stones and the staid, mostly older female audience.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 8, 2012 06:57

24FPS
It's Pythonesque with the incongruity between the Stones and the staid, mostly older female audience.

And still there wasn't a dry seat in the house!

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: July 8, 2012 17:15

Live vocal with a backing track...... And a great performance from Jagger.

I wonder if the audience now appreciate what they had just witnessed?

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 8, 2012 17:32

Great Mick!
Takes me back to the 60's when I saw some pics from this performance and loved them from the start without getting to see the thing for many years.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: July 9, 2012 02:22

seems like there's a few extra guitar notes that are not found on the album version.probably an alternate mix made for tv use

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 9, 2012 02:44

ghostryder13
seems like there's a few extra guitar notes that are not found on the album version.probably an alternate mix made for tv use

That's what I noticed too at 5.24.........

Posted by: aplata ()
Date: August 8, 2015 17:15

Amazing footage of the Stones performing one of the best songs in rock history. This video really demonstrates how versatile a musician Brian was. It also makes me start to think if he should have received credit for playing piano for sympathy because the August 9, 1969 Rolling Stone Article dedicated to Jones says that he played countrified steel guitar and piano on Beggars Banquet (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-jones-sympathy-for-the-devil-19690809). As we all know Mick and Keith gave credit to Nicky Hopkins. The band obviously made sure that Brian would receive small parts in the video. Which only goes to show that there was tension between Brian and the rest of the band at the time. However, it is still great to get a chance to see and hear him play an amazing piano part.

I don't know why the audiophiles are saying that Keith might not be playing guitar and Brian is not playing piano. On the version I saw on youtube clearly they are both playing their parts.

I will never forget you Brian and your contribution to Rock music.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 8, 2015 20:56

aplata
Amazing footage of the Stones performing one of the best songs in rock history. This video really demonstrates how versatile a musician Brian was. It also makes me start to think if he should have received credit for playing piano for sympathy because the August 9, 1969 Rolling Stone Article dedicated to Jones says that he played countrified steel guitar and piano on Beggars Banquet ( [www.rollingstone.com] ). As we all know Mick and Keith gave credit to Nicky Hopkins. The band obviously made sure that Brian would receive small parts in the video. Which only goes to show that there was tension between Brian and the rest of the band at the time. However, it is still great to get a chance to see and hear him play an amazing piano part.

I don't know why the audiophiles are saying that Keith might not be playing guitar and Brian is not playing piano. On the version I saw on youtube clearly they are both playing their parts.

I will never forget you Brian and your contribution to Rock music.

You are aware that Jagger was singing live over a backing track aren't you?
The rest of the Stones, including Brian, are miming. The reason why everybody credits Nicky Hopkins for playing piano is because he did!
I've never heard of anyone, audiophile or not, suggesting that Keith didn't play guitar.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-08 21:50 by Deltics.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 8, 2015 21:22

Deltics
You are aware that Jagger was singing live over a backing track aren't you?
The rest of the Stones, including Brian, are miming. The reason why everybody credits Nicky Hopkins for playing piano is because he did!
I've never heard of anyone, audiophile or not, suggesting that Keith didn't play guitar.

Extremely obvious to me. Hard to believe anyone could think anything different actually.

Posted by: aplata ()
Date: March 24, 2016 18:07

@Deltics and Naturalust - At the end of the day it is great to see the original line up on stage together. To think that people will not have a difference of opinion or different view points is just ludicrous.

@Deltics - I made the comment I made about audiophiles because of the comment swiss made. So you should read the entire post. Furthermore, I made my comments about Brian playing the piano based on the 2 rolling stone articles published in 1968 and 1969.

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

I stand corrected because I watched One Plus One "AFTER" reading the articles and clearly I can see Nicky Hopkins playing on the track not Brian. In the movie I can see that Brian played acoustic guitar on the track but Jimmy Miller decided not to use his part (not sure why I thought it sounded great).

What is mystifying to me is how Jann Wenner the founder of Rolling Stone Magazine could get this wrong. I wonder were he got that information. If he played Piano on the album then Wenner should have pointed out the specific tracks. On a Beggar's Outtake I have Brian plays organ on No Expectations near the end of the song (Not sure why Jimmy Miller decided not to use that either). Wenner got it right in regards to Brian's contributions to No Expectations and Jigsaw Puzzle. I think the general consensus is that that he played Sitar and Mellotron on the album also. I do not know if he was credited for the latter.

Date: March 24, 2016 18:34

The organ is on the released version of No Expectations. As to who played, it could be anyone, it's just basic chords.

Quite a few things wrong regarding what Brian played in those articles.

Brian played soprano saxophone on You Know My Name (Look Up The Number).

There is no soprano saxophone or any other reed instrument on Baby You're A Rich Man. The sound some people mistake for such an instrument is a Clavioline played by John Lennon.

Glyn Johns must either have been misquoted or he simply mis-remembered which track it was.

-

Brian didn't play piano on Beggars Banquet. The only slide guitar from Brian is on No Expectations. He played mellotron with flute sound on Jigsaw Puzzle, the slide is by Keith.

-

So, despite his connections, it seems Wenner just guessed who played what when reviewing the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-24 18:35 by His Majesty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home