Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dirty Work SHM-SACD
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: August 4, 2011 00:10

Has anyone heard this one yet? Is it any good? I'm trying to determine which SACDs I need to buy, and I haven't read any reviews of Dirty Work yet...

Re: Dirty Work SHM-SACD
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: August 4, 2011 02:50

FreeBird
Has anyone heard this one yet? Is it any good? I'm trying to determine which SACDs I need to buy, and I haven't read any reviews of Dirty Work yet...

"Too Rude" brought new discoveries and surprises to me. Great sound!

And the last song title is appeared on the display as "key to the highway".
I noticed Keith's hum and the sound of harp? clearly at the last part of this song.

Date: August 4, 2011 13:11

Thanks! Are the other songs okay as well?

Posted by: mrD ()
Date: August 4, 2011 13:28

Toru A

+1 hot smiley

Doxa, Even you have to change your mind now.

Date: August 6, 2011 02:55

I'm still sitting on a fence...

I've already decided that I will buy IORR on SACD, because it offers material not available elsewhere. This also means I will have to buy an SACD player. Thankfully, I know someone who has one and wants to get rid of it, so I might be able to get one for a reasonable price.

I don't yet own a single SACD, not even a hybrid, so I'm not sure about what to buy next. I'm considering buying Big Hits & TTPD, Sticky Fingers, Tattoo You, Dirty Work, Goats Head Soup, Black And Blue and Undercover (assuming those'll be released later). Something tells me the post-DW albums won't be released on SACD because of the way they were recorded (entirely digital for Steel Wheels and ABB, and possibly also (or in part) for the albums in between - or maybe they mixed them digitally).

Anyway, the thing with Dirty Work is that I really do like the album and I really want to figure out what to do. Frankly, Too Rude is my least favorite song on the album so I really don't care how it sounds. They could've left it off for all I care.

The songs I care about the most are One Hit (To the Body) and Dirty Work. Do they sound much better than on the Virgin remaster?

Date: August 6, 2011 04:53

How about Love You Live?
El Mocambo side is gorgeous.
I felt as if I really were in the critics section.

Date: August 6, 2011 19:17

Hmm... I might consider that one as well then. If only they weren't so expensive. This is not making things easier for me. winking smiley

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 6, 2011 21:57

And the reason for buying this is? What, to make a horrible album "sound" better?

Equivalent to having poor reception on an HD-TV.

Date: August 6, 2011 22:24

I don't think Dirty Work is a horrible album, although it's not my favorite either. The reason I'm interested in the SACD version is that there's something about the Virgin remaster that nags me. I feel that it should be possible for this album to sound better, although I have absolutely no proof of that.

There's also a good chance that this is their last AAD recorded album, which would make it the last album that could sensibly be released in SACD format.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: August 6, 2011 22:28

Just wondering, with a sniggle.

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: August 9, 2011 21:03

Toru A
FreeBird

And the last song title is appeared on the display as "key to the highway".
I noticed Keith's hum and the sound of harp? clearly at the last part of this song.

Toru A, can you please tell me the running time of BACK TO ZERO on this new SACD. Thanks.

Date: August 10, 2011 01:52

Toru A
How about Love You Live?
El Mocambo side is gorgeous.
I felt as if I really were in the critics section.
Reading this (and other remarks) has convinced me I should buy it. So far I've decided on buying SF, IORR and LYL. The rest is still up for debate.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 10, 2011 02:02

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-10 02:06 by Mathijs.

Date: August 10, 2011 02:49

Carster
Toru A, can you please tell me the running time of BACK TO ZERO on this new SACD. Thanks.

3 minutes 58 seconds on SACD.
Not 4 minutes.confused smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 10, 2011 03:57

I have them all, and I have a very good system. To be honest, if I were short on cash, I would probably buy IORR (for the "original speed" Fingerprint File, not great sound) and SF. Personally, I don't think that Tattoo You and Dirty Work are that significant an improvement over the original CBS releases. I might need to listen to Dirty Work again.

I am waiting to hear Goat's Head Soup, which is due at the end of September.

Date: August 10, 2011 09:26

Wasn't " Tattoo You " originally released by Atlantic Records ??

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: August 10, 2011 11:27

Yes, I think it sounds better i.e. bass and drums. Besides: The drumsound on this record is very different from other albums. Is it Charlie? Wasn't he in Keithalization at that time?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 10, 2011 11:43

~

2 1 2 0

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-10 11:43 by Come On.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 10, 2011 11:49

Winning Ugly VXII
Wasn't " Tattoo You " originally released by Atlantic Records ??

Sorry. I was referring to the first press CD's, which were both CBS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-08-10 11:49 by drbryant.

Date: August 10, 2011 14:36

drbryant
Personally, I don't think that Tattoo You and Dirty Work are that significant an improvement over the original CBS releases.
That's good to know. I have the Virgin version of Dirty Work and a needledrop of Tattoo You. I think I'll wait to see what else they release and how those releases are received.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 10, 2011 15:46

The drum sound on Dirty Work is due to Steve Lilywhite who had the drums tuned and recorded differently

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2149
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home