Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: This is effing fantastic
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: August 1, 2011 18:05

thanks for the comment
so happened after 67 ? Charlies became too shy ?
Or perhaps, it just did not fit with the following year show vibe ...

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: August 1, 2011 18:11

djgab
thanks for the comment
so happened after 67 ? Charlies became too shy ?
Or perhaps, it just did not fit with the following year show vibe ...

It became the "Mick & Keith" show...

Bill Wyman sang backing vocals on stage up to 1967 too, but never afterwards.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 1, 2011 20:03

<I think it was quite common for Charlie to introduce a song up until 1966 (or maybe 1967). Certainly he also does it at the 1964 NME Poll Winners Concert, & also Honolulu 1966, & if you look at the cover of GLIYWI (the LP) Charlie can be seen with a microphone.>

And in Honolulu Charlie introduces the wrong song, The Last Time (which they already played). You can hear Brian say "WHAT? We did that a long time ago! This one's called Lady Jane." There is another amusing moment at the beginning of the show when Brian's harmonica first comes blaring through the speakers and you hear a giddy laugh. Nice to hear him.

As for LQ, up tempo songs can be exciting, but exciting and sexy are not always the same thing. The restrained tempos of the '69 tour are sexy for me, JJF, LQ, MR, for example. The band's restraint and the bold pronouncement in the setlists were also sexy. And, of course, they were young, reaching their prime and had those guitars. This was an English band on American soil staking its claim as the worthy successors of American RnR and blues artists. The audacity of it is sexy too. I do not think the band was ever sexier than on this tour. Just a few years later they would perform the very self conscious SF. It's about sex, but it's not sexy, musically or otherwise.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 1, 2011 20:13

Interesting how the camera only focused on Jagger and then Watts, even during Keith's solo.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 1, 2011 21:48

Sipuncula
Interesting how the camera only focused on Jagger and then Watts, even during Keith's solo.

thats because the maysles brothers or whatever their names are where the worst film makers in history.

that thing is a tragedy.keith is working that solo like a lamborghini floating down the autobahn and they're showing charlie and a long shot of mick with the back of peoples heads in it.

the whole movie is like that,they barely show the band just 90 minutes of mick from ten feet away.

Date: August 1, 2011 21:52

pmk251
As for LQ, up tempo songs can be exciting, but exciting and sexy are not always the same thing. The restrained tempos of the '69 tour are sexy for me, JJF, LQ, MR, for example. The band's restraint and the bold pronouncement in the setlists were also sexy. And, of course, they were young, reaching their prime and had those guitars. This was an English band on American soil staking its claim as the worthy successors of American RnR and blues artists. The audacity of it is sexy too. I do not think the band was ever sexier than on this tour. Just a few years later they would perform the very self conscious SF. It's about sex, but it's not sexy, musically or otherwise.

JJF & MR weren't slowed down, they were performed at a similar pace to the studio versions (having said that I do enjoy the slightly slower JJF from R&R Circus).

Date: August 1, 2011 21:57

Even I (who's very biased towards the Brian era) must admit that LQ sounded superb in '73 though:

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 2, 2011 01:54

<<JJF & MR weren't slowed down, they were performed at a similar pace to the studio versions (having said that I do enjoy the slightly slower JJF from R&R Circus).>>

I am comparing the live performances that came after '69.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: August 2, 2011 03:46

Sleepy City
Even I (who's very biased towards the Brian era) must admit that LQ sounded superb in '73 though:

Gotta say I prefer this '73 version over the '69 one, even if in this mix the horns sound like they're stepping all over everything and muddying up the overall sound. Mick Taylor's rhythm here is what really drives this, I think...Anyway, both versions are great.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1500
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home