Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Brian Jones tribute at Hyde Park - Just a moment of sincerity or a staged one off?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 17, 2016 09:53

Was the Brian Jones tribute/eulogy performed by the Stones at Hyde Park on July 5, 1969 done out of sincerity, or was it performed to prevent a mutiny by the many fans that loved him, or was it just to pacify those fans and justify the upcoming 1969 tour with Mick Taylor?

If it was out of respect and sincerity, why was it not repeated in any other cities on the tour, and why did they drop some of the songs. Was Brian's name ever mentioned again at any show in 1969?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 09:54 by The Sicilian.

Re: The Brian Jones tribute at Hyde Park - Just a moment of sincerity or a staged one off?
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 17, 2016 11:36

It was never intended to be a tribute to Brian, who had left the band, it was part of the free Hyde Park series of concerts that would serve to introduce their new guitarist Mick Taylor. When Brian died a couple of days before the show, they could either have canceled or gone ahead with the show and made it a tribute to their former guitarist as a mark of respect, which is what they did. There was no question of there being a mutiny, as the official version in the press was that it was his own choice to leave the band, and we (meaning the fans) had no reason to think differently. We were just thrilled to see the Stones active again.

This was a new tour with a new band; they paid their respects to their former guitarist, then moved forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 11:40 by Aquamarine.

Re: The Brian Jones tribute at Hyde Park - Just a moment of sincerity or a staged one off?
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 17, 2016 11:43

The Sicilian
Was the Brian Jones tribute/eulogy performed by the Stones at Hyde Park on July 5, 1969 done out of sincerity, or was it performed to prevent a mutiny by the many fans that loved him, or was it just to pacify those fans and justify the upcoming 1969 tour with Mick Taylor?

If it was out of respect and sincerity, why was it not repeated in any other cities on the tour, and why did they drop some of the songs. Was Brian's name ever mentioned again at any show in 1969?

(What Aquamarine says, and...)

This was their first live appearance since May 1968 (NME Pollwinners), first Stones' live show since April 1967 (end of European Tour).

And their next date wasn't until November 1969 (4 months later) in the USA.

It was a one-off.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: February 17, 2016 11:44

The intro to the show might be called a tribute, but seemingly the show wasn't.

I thought Mick did a sincere and respectful performance in the intro.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 17, 2016 12:29

Yes sincerity..... Then move on .... Don't look back

ROCKMAN

Date: February 17, 2016 13:01

The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you’ve got it made.

quoted in Murphy’s Law Book Two by A. Bloch, 1980

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 17, 2016 13:01

One-off sincerity.
Staged? Of course it was staged - those dead butterflies
didn't get in (or out of) those cartons spontaneously

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: February 17, 2016 13:41

with sssoul
One-off sincerity.

Yeah will if you mean "staged" as in planned, yeah of course it was, but I think they felt sincerely awful about his death. Haven't Bill and Charlie both said that Mick was crying before he went onstage? Mick doesn't seem like the type to pull crocodile tears.

Date: February 17, 2016 14:58

alieb
if you mean "staged" as in planned, yeah of course it was

That's exactly what I mean, alieb: Of course it was staged, which doesn't mean it wasn't sincere.
And just because it was a one-off doesn't mean it wasn't sincere.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: February 17, 2016 16:56

with sssoul
One-off sincerity.

the dead ones never got out of the boxes!

but didn't Mick look good in that dress David Bowie refused to wear?

Posted by: chop ()
Date: February 17, 2016 23:13

Brian never left the band, he was kicked out. And while his death may have been a shock, he was too far gone at that point to salvage, all bridges were burned, and he was such an insufferable prick that I doubt he was ever truly mourned and missed by the remaining Stones.

In retrospect he was likely bipolar or suffering with some sort of serious personality disorder, compounded with hard drugs.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 18, 2016 01:44

chop
Brian never left the band, he was kicked out. And while his death may have been a shock, he was too far gone at that point to salvage, all bridges were burned, and he was such an insufferable prick that I doubt he was ever truly mourned and missed by the remaining Stones.

In retrospect he was likely bipolar or suffering with some sort of serious personality disorder, compounded with hard drugs.

Nobody claimed he wasn't kicked out, and it's impossible to psychoanalyze online a guy none of us (well, hardly any of us) knew personally, and who died decades ago. What seems well-documented is that his death was sincerely mourned by the remaining band members, however insufferable he may have become (an issue they no longer had to deal with, in any case). You only have to watch Keith about to lose it when talking about him, not long afterward, to see that their response was genuine. Then they moved on.

Date: February 18, 2016 22:21

chop

You talk of him as though he was Syd Barrett.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 18, 2016 23:05

Aquamarine
chop

Nobody claimed he wasn't kicked out, and it's impossible to psychoanalyze online a guy none of us (well, hardly any of us) knew personally, and who died decades ago. What seems well-documented is that his death was sincerely mourned by the remaining band members, however insufferable he may have become (an issue they no longer had to deal with, in any case). You only have to watch Keith about to lose it when talking about him, not long afterward, to see that their response was genuine. Then they moved on.

Brian was a group problem for a number of years before his dismissal. He seemed more of a sad liability, than raging prick in the year previous. Charlie said Brian was quite friendly and coming around to chat in that last month of his life, talking of his plans. I've never even heard of any bitterness coming out of Brian on the way it ended. Maybe he really did feel relieved. Perhaps down the road he would have realized the financial straits he could be in, but he didn't seem particularly traumatized at no longer being a Rolling Stone, at least at that point. He'd been such a fading part of the band since 1967 that he wasn't letting go of a lot. I believe he was sincerely disinterested in the group, no longer feeling he had any power at all within it.

Charlie mentions in the Brian Jones MOJO article that Brian had antagonized everyone in the group, including Bill, which Charlie said wasn't Bill's fault in any way. Maybe this was all forgiven with Brian's death, and they preferred to remember the good times. It wasn't like Brian ever prospered from his ill treatment of any of them. They were all so strong, and Brian so weak by the time of his death, that it seems hard to hold a grudge.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:14

Rockman
Yes sincerity..... Then move on .... Don't look back

thumbs up

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:16

The Sicilian
chop

You talk of him as though he was Syd Barrett.

He's right

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:17

The Sicilian

the concert was scheduled well before brian died, they didn't want to cancel it, and of course they had to acknowledge what happened.

Date: February 19, 2016 00:33

HalfNanker
the dead ones never got out of the boxes!

Sure they did - they got kicked out! It's in the movie if you watch closely

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 19, 2016 03:22

is there anyone who would stop being a Stones fan right now if it was revealed that they did not even want to do a tribute??? (not true...maybe...but just saying)

syd or brian, whats the difference

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 19, 2016 03:23

Peace, peace! he is not dead, he doth not sleep
He hath awakened from the dream of life
'Tis we, who lost in stormy visions, keep
With phantoms an unprofitable strife,
And in mad trance, strike with our spirit's knife
Invulnerable nothings. — We decay
Like corpses in a charnel; fear and grief
Convulse us and consume us day by day,
And cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay.

The One remains, the many change and pass;
Heaven's light forever shines, Earth's shadows fly;
Life, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of Eternity,
Until Death tramples it to fragments. — Die,
If thou wouldst be with that which thou dost seek!
Follow where all is fled!

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Date: February 19, 2016 04:13

nick
is there anyone who would stop being a Stones fan right now if it was revealed that they did not even want to do a tribute??? (not true...maybe...but just saying)

syd or brian, whats the difference

Coke or Pepsi, what's the difference?

If you were a loyal Coke drinker would you still drink Coke Cola if they changed the formula so that it tastes more like Pepsi?

Posted by: nick ()
Date: February 19, 2016 05:51

The Sicilian

Coke or Pepsi, what's the difference?

If you were a loyal Coke drinker would you still drink Coke Cola if they changed the formula so that it tastes more like Pepsi?

Being an addict of Mt. Dew ur out of context soda comparison is correct.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 19, 2016 06:15

As far as I know the only time The Stones had mentioned someones passing was the Sandy Hook tragedy during the Newark show he next day. I believe Wild Horses was dedicated to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 06:16 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 19, 2016 06:31

I was at Hyde Park and saw the Stones before they went on.
It was not an easy show for them to do. Brian's death seemed
somehow surreal for the band and the audience.

Date: February 19, 2016 19:54

stonesrule
I was at Hyde Park and saw the Stones before they went on.
It was not an easy show for them to do. Brian's death seemed
somehow surreal for the band and the audience.

Were you watching the show from backstage or in the audience? How many shows on the 69 tour did you see?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: February 19, 2016 20:19

[Can you imagine trying to give a tribute to someone you didn't like..Brutal..Couldn't do it.

Date: February 19, 2016 20:35

stanlove
[Can you imagine trying to give a tribute to someone you didn't like..Brutal..Couldn't do it.

I imagine that, in many ways, Brian was like family to them...he made them angry and they were disgusted by him at times, but that doesn't mean there wasn't love and care there too.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2016 23:48

latebloomer
stanlove

I imagine that, in many ways, Brian was like family to them...he made them angry and they were disgusted by him at times, but that doesn't mean there wasn't love and care there too.

You make an excellent point. I have had family members I had contentious relations with. When they died there was a short period when you really pushed all that aside. Then, in time, the bad things resurface and you find yourself really disliking them. I think that happened to the Stones. They said some snotty things about Brian later. They've never been specific, but you know there was some permanent damage done. Then, with age, you realize how fragile being a human is, and maybe you don't really forgive, but you just kind of get numb to it.

Date: February 19, 2016 23:57

24FPS
latebloomer
stanlove

You make an excellent point. I have had family members I had contentious relations with. When they died there was a short period when you really pushed all that aside. Then, in time, the bad things resurface and you find yourself really disliking them. I think that happened to the Stones. They said some snotty things about Brian later. They've never been specific, but you know there was some permanent damage done. Then, with age, you realize how fragile being a human is, and maybe you don't really forgive, but you just kind of get numb to it.

All true 24, but I'm not so sure you get numb...I think it's more you just don't get that worked up about it. But, maybe that's what you meant. In any case, I do think it's come full circle for them, especially Keith and Mick. They both seem to speak with more compassion about Brian these days.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home