Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: A bigger bang--why so underrated?
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 5, 2011 13:17

71Tele
GetYerAngie
71Tele
DragonSky
KeithNacho
No potential classic tunes.

Depends on what one considers to be 'classic tunes'. As far as their career goes, I'd consider Rough Justice, Let Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty and Laugh, I Nearly Died to be 'classic tunes' in the long run.

No, all those songs are forgettable, and in fact, have already been forgotten by the world at large. We've had five years for these tunes to age like fine wine, and they simply haven't.

"It Won't Take Long"? Classic? Think about it.

Yes IMO it's right to consider It won't take long a neoclassic. Jaggers singing is marvelous, the guitars fitting, and charlies drumming elaborative. And the lyrics are outstanding.

And Rain, Laugh, and Oh no I agree with DragonSky, are other highlights on ABB.

By the very definition of "classic" it needs more than your opinion to achieve that status.

That is quite obvious. But I will speak of my opion and let others speak their. IMO It won't take long is an impressive vital track, by far surpassing the best output of other acts of their generation (Dylan, McCartney, Young, Reed etc.). And that goes for Rain too. And maybe for Laugh and Oh no too. To me these tracks have the oppurtunity to be post '85-stones-classics. And deserves to. And I am surprised they are not. These songs are so underrated. IMO.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 5, 2011 13:52

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
No albums are underrated or overrated
They are rated low or rated high because of how the listener like it
An album can be "overlooked", in the way that the albums is good enough to deserve to make it's way to more listeners, so that people could "rate it". But once people have rated it - the album is "rated", and that rating stands; like it or not.
I rate ABB very low, btw - there's one or two quite good songs there, alltogether, IMO.

It can be hyped winking smiley

Hyped in-your-opinion, yes - but hyped in general.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: October 5, 2011 15:49

am a big fan of abb, really love lmds, iwtl, onnya, rfd, lind, bm, and enjoy almost all of it, except praps infamy, not crazy on the production/mixing which i find tinny, but i really enjoy the album, and WISH they would go into the studio, with a major influential/inspirational producer, but doubt they will.....

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 5, 2011 15:53

GetYerAngie
71Tele
GetYerAngie
71Tele
DragonSky
KeithNacho

Depends on what one considers to be 'classic tunes'. As far as their career goes, I'd consider Rough Justice, Let Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty and Laugh, I Nearly Died to be 'classic tunes' in the long run.

No, all those songs are forgettable, and in fact, have already been forgotten by the world at large. We've had five years for these tunes to age like fine wine, and they simply haven't.

Yes IMO it's right to consider It won't take long a neoclassic. Jaggers singing is marvelous, the guitars fitting, and charlies drumming elaborative. And the lyrics are outstanding.

By the very definition of "classic" it needs more than your opinion to achieve that status.

That is quite obvious. But I will speak of my opion and let others speak their. IMO It won't take long is an impressive vital track, by far surpassing the best output of other acts of their generation (Dylan, McCartney, Young, Reed etc.). And that goes for Rain too. And maybe for Laugh and Oh no too. To me these tracks have the oppurtunity to be post '85-stones-classics. And deserves to. And I am surprised they are not. These songs are so underrated. IMO.

Totally agree with you, Angiethumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 5, 2011 19:02

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
WilliamPatrickMaynard
Well, we're consistent then. You thought they same thing when I posted as Rocky Dijon.

i woulda made it a three song ep - ssmc, radar, don't wanna go home. then i woulda gone home.

That could have made it as a CD single. I always found those difficult to place in the CD drawer properly.

that's prolly why they decided to put out the full cd, then...

prolly

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 5, 2011 19:09

GetYerAngie
71Tele
GetYerAngie
71Tele
DragonSky
KeithNacho

No one said you shouldn't speak your opinion, and nothing wrong with loving the album, of course. But I seriously doubt ABB (or a single track from it) will achieve "classic" status in the popular music world at large, the way Exile did, or the Big Four, or many other classic albums by other artists. It shouldn't prevent you from enjoying it, but reality is reality- it's had six years for people to appreciate, and a ABB is no "classic".

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 5, 2011 19:15

71Tele
GetYerAngie
71Tele
GetYerAngie
71Tele
DragonSky
KeithNacho

No one said you shouldn't speak your opinion, and nothing wrong with loving the album, of course. But I seriously doubt ABB (or a single track from it) will achieve "classic" status in the popular music world at large, the way Exile did, or the Big Four, or many other classic albums by other artists. It shouldn't prevent you from enjoying it, but reality is reality- it's had six years for people to appreciate, and a ABB is no "classic".

wait til next year!!!!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 30, 2011 15:57

This is the only song i like on ABB cool smiley

Date: October 30, 2011 16:03

[en.allexperts.com]

"Question
hi i been listening to the stones since hot rocks frist came out i bought about every record i can but before bigger bang was released i went to bearshare and loaded it 2 songs on there - look what the cat drag in - was not the song that was on the cd after i bought it it and i think was called - i love you baby -also - sweet neo con - was a song called - restless child - now i looked i cant find these songs anywhere and if it was some kind of stones cover band there really good and i think i could tell u know any thing about these songs
and how do u like bigger band its really rocks the song laugh i nearly died sounded like a song from sticky fingers
thank you bill

"Answer
Hi Bill and thank you for your interesting question. First, please rest assured that the two songs you have are done by the Rolling Stones. Let me tell you a bit about "A Bigger Bang". The Stones recorded sixty (60) new songs for this album and then they had to decide on sixteen (16) to put on the finished product. The song(s) you have are really fragments of ONE song, "Restless Child". Obviously, "Restless Child" did not make the final album cut. So, Bill you have a BONUS!! Congratulations!! Also, the Japanese edition of "A Bigger Bang" has a bonus track. "Restless Child" may have been intended to be that extra track!

That is really all I am able to tell you about your rare Stones' find.

You also asked me how I like "A Bigger Bang" and I'm happy to tell you that I believe it's a very strong Stones' record. I am partial to "Rough Justice" because it's a classic Keith rocker. I also love "Back Of My Hand" because I think the Stones have returned to their blues roots with that tune and the slide guitar work is superb. Then, of course, I adore the Keith solos on the album.

There you have it, Bill. You have one track (in two different forms) of the Stones' "Restless Child". I hope you are pleased with my response. Thanks again for your question.

Cheers,
Marianne.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: October 30, 2011 16:24

Restless Child
Is this genuine?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 30, 2011 16:25

62 songs?

Date: October 30, 2011 16:32

KRiffhard
This is the only song i like on ABB cool smiley

Ha ha! The guy who's doing the Keith back-up vocals, sounds like Keith in the 60s. Cool! smoking smiley

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 30, 2011 16:34

Nice thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 16:36 by mgguy.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 30, 2011 16:43

a bigger bang is a good album, too many songs though, it should have had no more than 10. has some good stuff on it.

infamy
rough justive
laugh i nearly died
back of my hand
this place is empty
rain fall down

incidently if you listen to laugh i nearly died one of the guitar riffs sounds like something from tattoo you.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 30, 2011 16:44

60 songs? Yeah, I have my doubts.

I like the record less now than when it came out 6 years ago. I don't loathe it at all, as many seem to. I think "Rough Justice" is a good rocker, "Let Me Down Slow" has a kind of classic Stones vibe, and I enjoy both of Keith's tunes.

It just doesn't have any "wow" moments. Bridges, while not a masterpiece, had a couple of those - namely "Saint of Me" and "How Can I Stop". And Voodoo had more juice to it. It's still better than Dirty Work or Steel Wheels, to my ears. I've always said it would have benefited from some editing, and for the 100th time I will say "Radar" and "Home" should have replaced a couple of the weaker tracks ("Dangerous Beauty" and "Driving Too Fast" come to mind. And Mick's ballads "Streets" and the aptly-titled "Biggest Mistake" suck).

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: October 31, 2011 02:59

its a really good record,no doubt.if it was 10 tracks,it would of been up there with ,there best work.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 31, 2011 14:35

Yes, 10 tracks would probably have helped.

What would have helped too is getting some good musicians to add some depth like they did for B2B, Benmont Tench on AAOM and Waddy on SOM really bring these tunes to lige. When you're stuck with Mick on bass (NeoCon) then you know something's wrong...

Were they too embarassed to get other people to play on ABB or were they being their usual cheap selves?

Doesn't help that Keith had practically nothing to contribute in terms of songs or even decent guitar licks...

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 1, 2011 17:08

I guess the problem which many have with the "A Bigger Bang" album is that there are not much swinging rhythms on there. And that the signal was turned up so loud in mastering it often makes it sound as if Mick's voice was cracking and the cymbals are decorated with sizzling digital hiss. I guess that makes ABB a product of its time.

Date: November 1, 2011 17:13

billwebster
I guess the problem which many have with the "A Bigger Bang" album is that there are not much swinging rhythms on there. And that the signal was turned up so loud in mastering it often makes it sound as if Mick's voice was cracking and the cymbals are decorated with sizzling digital hiss.

not to mention the lousy songs and mick's unlistenable singing style. minor quibbles, i know, but still....

Date: November 1, 2011 17:33

StonesTod
billwebster
I guess the problem which many have with the "A Bigger Bang" album is that there are not much swinging rhythms on there. And that the signal was turned up so loud in mastering it often makes it sound as if Mick's voice was cracking and the cymbals are decorated with sizzling digital hiss.

not to mention the lousy songs and mick's unlistenable singing style. minor quibbles, i know, but still....

...this is the main problem, and he think that is singing style is the same of 70's!!

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: November 1, 2011 17:38

71Tele
GetYerAngie
71Tele
DragonSky
KeithNacho

OK, fine. But look at what I said that is specific: As far as their career goes, I'd consider ... to be 'classic tunes' in the long run.

Classic in the sense of 'The songs are obviously The Rolling Stones' just as one would say for Hang Fire and Neighbours and Summer Romance and Love Is Strong and When The Whip Comes Down and Lowdown - sort of obscure yet definitive openings to the songs that tell you it's The Stones, mannnn.

Although Tele is on to something but slightly incorrect about it - it's not the world at large that's forgotten about these songs, it's most likely most of the people that bought the album and of course the rest of the world that didn't bother buying the album because it didn't matter at all. Liking the songs and/or liking the album is one thing - the same with as much as I can't stand Dirty Work I do listen to it occasionally - but accepting the truth of the matter of it being just Stones by numbers minus the depth of how even that used to be, well, that's something else.

Do I like A Bigger Bang? For the most part, yes.

Is it good? For what it is, yes.

Is it as good as...Some Girls or Sticky Fingers or Aftermath or Beggars or Goats Head Soup or Undercover or Exile? Hell no.

Comparably it's weak. It sits in the lower end of the discography as far as where it is ranked overall. Above Dirty Work, of course.

Is it better than Dirty Work and Steel Wheels? Yes. And/or so on.

Perhaps another question should be, Why Should A Bigger Bang Be Rated Any Higher?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 1, 2011 20:08

StonesTod
billwebster

OK WHOA!
I'm beginning to sense some sarcasm.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 1, 2011 20:30

I think the album has too many songs in it. It's the sin that many bands and artists do these days: release an 80 minute album with lots of poor filler songs.

ABB should've been 1 LP release with 10 songs. My choice: Rough Justice / It Won't Take Long / Back Of My Hand / This Place Is Empty / Oh No, Not You Again / Dangerous Beauty / Laugh, I Nearly Died / Sweet Neo Con / Driving Too Fast / Infamy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-01 21:12 by Single Malt.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: November 1, 2011 20:51

I like ABB. The Greatest since Sticky F? Of course not.

If ABB were, however, released by a a band 20 something year-olds it would have been critically praised and well-sold. Since it was dinosaurs it was ho-hum from the critics and ignored by kids (including those kids over thirty).

If The Stones had secretly had Maroon 5 or someone else dub the vocals and release it as their own then --Voila -- it becomes a hit.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 1, 2011 20:53

"A Bigger Bang" has grown on me. At the time of its release, I wasn't really into it. It was the first Stones CD since becoming a fan that I didn't buy the day it came out. At the time I was turning away from them......carrying on in various pissy rants about their concert ticket prices and some of their boring, safe songs on recent albums......blah, blah, blah. I ended up skipping their '05 "Bigger Bang" shows and not buying the album.....alas. I eventually bought it and snapped out of my personal fight with the band in time to see them in '06.....thank God. Just a phase I was going through.

"Laugh, I Nearly Died" is a great, great song IMHO. "Rough Justice", "Dangerous Beauty", I even really like "Rain Fall Down"...which I suppose I will hear about from some of the 'board members'. There are some sleepers, but it's not their worst. For me that is still "Satanic Majesties".....yes I have slightly more love for "Dirty Work" than "Satanic Majesties"....despite "Satanic Majesties" having the special distinction of being the first Stones album I bought on CD.

Their show prices are still hard to stomach, sure, but I really can't wait for the next round. Please let there be another round. I'm out of the hating fog. Long Live The Rolling Stones!! Although, all that said, I STILL have not been able to make myself buy "Live Licks" (I've read too many things about some nasty edits)..."Rarities" on the basic principle that (a) much of it is not rare and (b) the airbrushing of Mr. Wyman.....and the "Shine a Light" soundtrack. No real reason on that one I guess, except for that I just watch the movie if I want to hear it....or are there nasty edits on that too?.

Anyway, I think I'll listen to ABB tonight in honor of this thread!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-01 22:50 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 1, 2011 21:05

deadegad
I like ABB. The Greatest since Sticky F? Of course not.

If ABB were, however, released by a a band 20 something year-olds it would have been critically praised and well-sold. Since it was dinosaurs it was ho-hum from the critics and ignored by kids (including those kids over thirty).

If The Stones had secretly had Maroon 5 or someone else dub the vocals and release it as their own then --Voila -- it becomes a hit.

I agree with this, I think ABB has some great songs on it, but something to be said about perceptions and demographics that are easily clouded in a 50 year context.

Date: November 1, 2011 21:14

deadegad

i think you have this exactly backward. it did sell well and was praised by many critics. it would have been roundly ignored, if even released, if not for the fact it was a rolling stones product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-01 21:16 by StonesTod.

Date: November 1, 2011 21:39

StonesTod
deadegad

i think you have this exactly backward. it did sell well and was praised by many critics. it would have been roundly ignored, if even released, if not for the fact it was a rolling stones product.

wrong.

Date: November 1, 2011 21:40

MKjan
StonesTod
deadegad

wrong.

which part?

Date: November 1, 2011 21:48

StonesTod
MKjan
StonesTod
deadegad

wrong.

which part?
I think deadegad got it right. I think the sales and crtitical claim would have been greater but for the reasons stated. My way of saying there are enough good songs on it that I consider it to be underrated.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home