Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT : The Who - Quadrophenia `Director´s Cut` Boxset release
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 28, 2011 20:52

The Set will be released Nov. 14th, furthermore a 2CD digi-pak version.

more details,unfortunately without saying,what´s on the digi-pak version ( I guess just the original album ) :

[www.thewho.com]

Re: OT : The Who - Quadrophenia `Director´s Cut` Boxset release
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 28, 2011 21:10

FINALLY! Great news indeed! I can't wait! More info and pics here:
[store.universal-music.co.uk]

If it is anything like the Live at Leeds Deluxe set it will be stunning!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2011 21:15

Only an 8 song 5.1 mix? What gives? Couldn't they finish off remixing it in 5.1?

Date: July 29, 2011 00:02

yes i wonder is the 2 disc version is just the album or does it have extras or is it just the extras?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 29, 2011 00:08

The bass on that album is the business.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 11, 2011 16:08

Xmas....part 1:

Quadrophenia box just hit the floor ( together with the Lizzy BBC box....urgggghhh...)

Listening to the demos at the moment;book and all the other added stuff to be enjoyed later...

Next Friday expecting Stones Live In Texas and Some Girls....what a November.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 11, 2011 21:17

Sadly, and I say this because I am a big Who Fan, there have been drum overdubs on some of these tracks. Its a shame and next time Townshend has his Q and A on the Who's website, I hope someone asks him why he did this.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2011 21:21

A few drum overdubs aren't too bad when compared to some vocal overdubs ala Mick.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: November 11, 2011 22:03

This movie Was like a revelation to me.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 12, 2011 01:37

I LOVE the record. It remains in a battle for my #1 of all time with Exiles.

Powerful lyrics and music.....and Entwhistle's bass on THe Real Me is just mind blowing.

I never saw the movie and I'm not sure I ever want to. The story is in my head. Not sure I want to spoil it with someone else's visuals.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 12, 2011 01:41

Quad is a fantastic CD and I am really looking forward to hearing Pete's demos.
I have read that the 2 cd version includes some of the bonus tracks that the big box has, but not all. Instead of disc one being only 40 mis long, they shifted some of disc 2 to disc 1.

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: November 12, 2011 02:04

No live stuff from their US-tour 1973? shame on you Pete!

Date: November 12, 2011 05:07

Some definite clarification is needed here - no overdubs on the basic album, he did add some drums to his old demos (although I'm not overjoyed about that either).

Happy Jack
Sadly, and I say this because I am a big Who Fan, there have been drum overdubs on some of these tracks. Its a shame and next time Townshend has his Q and A on the Who's website, I hope someone asks him why he did this.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 12, 2011 05:26

whew, thank goodness no overdubs on the original album. I don't really mind the overdubs on the demos. He was playing the drums anyhow, so he just went in and fixed some stuff up to make it sound better, ala scoop. Fine with me. But tampering with Moonies incredible drums on the original would be cardinal sin. Good he didn't. It is a shame there wasn't live stuff on the disc, ala Floyds immersion box set. Would have been great to get a disc of a concert from the Quadro tour...and even a DVD of live clips. A opportunity missed.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 12, 2011 06:06

PETE TOWNSHEND SAYS THE WHO WILL BE BOARDING THE 5:15 AGAIN IN 2012

11/11/2011

If Pete Townshend has his way, The Who will be back on the road next winter to play its 1973 rock opera "Quadrophenia." Townshend, who curated the new "Quadrophenia -- The Director's Cut" box set that comes out November 15, tells The Insider that he's keen to recreate the production that he, Roger Daltrey and the late John Entwistle presented during 1996-97, with a larger band and guests such as Gary Glitter, Billy Idol and P.J. Proby. "I think the music comes across beautifully," says Townshend, adding that at the moment he's having to push a somewhat reluctant Daltrey into committing to the trek. "I know that Roger wants to make a few changes to the way it's presented and some of the film images we use, but I'm very happy with the way it is," Townshend says. "I think the music comes across beautifully. So I've kind of been waiting patiently...This is a role reversal because usually Roger is the one who wants to go on tour and I'm the one who's like, 'Hey, hold up. I've got this to write and this to do...' I'm usually the one that is being nagged, and it's been the other way around. I've been nagging Roger now for quite a time to get this show out, and it looks like now we will probably tour in the winter of 2012. That's the soonest it's gonna happen, but I'm looking forward to it." Townshend says the Who's manager, Bill Curbishley, is also working on a sequel to the 1979 "Quadrophenia" film. Townshend is also finishing work on a new musical, "Floss," and on his autobiography, "Who He?," that's due out next year.

Date: November 12, 2011 15:45

Sound samples are up on the Amazon German site

[www.amazon.de]

whitem8
whew, thank goodness no overdubs on the original album. I don't really mind the overdubs on the demos. He was playing the drums anyhow, so he just went in and fixed some stuff up to make it sound better, ala scoop. Fine with me. But tampering with Moonies incredible drums on the original would be cardinal sin. Good he didn't. It is a shame there wasn't live stuff on the disc, ala Floyds immersion box set. Would have been great to get a disc of a concert from the Quadro tour...and even a DVD of live clips. A opportunity missed.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 20, 2011 17:43

The Who included only the 1996 remix and not the original mix. The DVD should have had both mixes and a 5.1 surround mix of the entire album. And there should have been a Blu-ray as well.

On a related note, the Who have now repackaged the 1995 remastering of Live at Leeds three times: first on the expanded 1995 version, then in 2001 on the deluxe 2 CD edition that includes the entire Tommy performance, and again in 2010 on the 4 CD box with the show from Hull.

An easy way to tell it's the 1995 remaster: in Shakin' All Over, they edited out the Spoonful section. So, while the Who would have you believe they've released the entire Leeds performance, they won't have done so until they release the 2/14/70 version of Shakin' All Over in its entirety.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 20, 2011 18:20

buffalo7478
I LOVE the record. It remains in a battle for my #1 of all time with Exiles...

Ditto -- I love double records where just about every track is great ... I put Beatles White Album and Clash London Calling in the same category as Quadrophenia and Exile.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 25, 2011 11:45

Amidst all these glorious Stones productions that reach us these days, I received my copy of
the director's cut (two albums) of Quadrophenia. The exitement is a bit paled because those
last weeks held so many highlights, but this one is worth its price too!
It is a bit strange to have the original opera cut in two after Drowned and have the second
disk opening with Bell Boy. I'll get used to that.

On the second disk the demos are included. Pete was one hell of a creative s*cker at the time.
It is very enjoyable to listen to the man in his own studio in Twickenham, playing around with
all these instruments. A lot was created with keyboards of all sorts, and I am usually not a big fan
of the use of too many electronic devices, but the main fun is to hear how elaborate Pete
was working out his ideas.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: November 25, 2011 12:13

For me it was a toss up between getting this or the Some Girls box. Considering what you get this wins hands down. And I think the Stones box is even more expensive!

Quadrophenia is perhaps the most lavish and beautifully deluxe version of an album that I have ever seen. An incredible, weighty package that includes the whole album in its demo form - from Pete's own demos to pre-production demos from The Who themselves. These include about 8 songs not included in the original album and which add more colour and development to the character of Jimmy.

In a book featuring the original album photos plus notes about the demos there is a long essay by Pete Townshend in which he reveals his motivation behind the album. It lost me a little bit - it's classic rock star babble speak about wanting to capture the essence of what made The Who's music connect so much with their audience. (He's explored similar communication themes in Lifehouse and and Psychoderelict too.)

The remastered album itself sounds better than ever. There's a new clarity and brightness to what was essential a fairly muddy sounding recording.

I was pissed off that only half the album was available in 5.1 but I've now found out from a member of The Who's inner sanctum the reason why.

Back in 2003 after Townshend had mixed Tommy into 5.1 (which was released as Deluxe Edition) he wanted to do the same with Quadrophenia and started working on it. However he found a lot of the sound effects, backings, etc from his orig demos weren't able to be mixed into that format and apparently to transfer them to 5.1 would have meant re-recording some of the effects, etc which thankfully he didn't want to do. So those tracks are the only ones that can be done adequately in 5.1 format.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 25, 2011 12:34

Nice review Mr Dagger.

I don't think the Quadrophenia CDs sound different to the 1996 remaster. A little EQ has been applied here and there, but that's it. Shame they couldn't release the remaster of the original mix, which was used for the AMAZING Classic Records 200g vinyl reissue. If you want to hear the best ever version of Quadrophenia to date, that's the version I'd recommend. You can find needledrops of it everywhere. Well worth the hunt.

As for the demos - great to hear the unreleased, unbootlegged stuff, but why did he have to drench these versions in reverb is beyond me. They sounded fine on the Scoop series.

Great packaging though.

Still, either way you ut it, Quadrophenia remains a masterpiece. One of the greatest double albums ever.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: November 25, 2011 13:00

Nikolai
Nice review Mr Dagger.

I don't think the Quadrophenia CDs sound different to the 1996 remaster. A little EQ has been applied here and there, but that's it.

In fact - at least according to the sources I've read - it IS the 1996 remaster.

I've only listened to the (budget) deluxe set twice so far, and I'm very impressed with the great sound. But so I was in 1996!

And you're right. Would have been nice to have the original mix as well.

Date: November 25, 2011 13:50

I just got mine as well, the book and two CD's of demos were all it took for me - I think the demos are great and the book is gorgeous. The 96 remaster wasn't great, but the original mix was a bit flat and had its own problems. If you are truly looking for the best sounding mix, Japan's release of this over the past few years has been the one to get for some reason. It's a little warmer than the recent US mixes. I have no idea which mix they have in their version of the new one.

It's truly Christmas in November!!! Some Girls Dexuxe, Brussels, Texas and Quadrophenia! No money left for the Beach Boys LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 21:09 by Lynd8.

Date: November 25, 2011 13:57

Lynd8

It's truly Christmas in November!!! Some Girls Dexuxe, Brussels, Texas abd Quadrophenia! No money left for the Beach Boys LOL

RE: The Beach Boys -
great, great box set as well, I can tell you!
One of the reasons I had to pass over the Quadrophenia box set and buy the budget price Deluxe set instead.

Date: November 25, 2011 15:58

In Pete Townshend's notes to the boxset he says that he is currently working on Quadrophenia Pt 2, which will be what happened to Jimmy after his Mod days.

His partner Rachel Fuller is working on an orchestral version - God help us - which will probably be used in a theatre production.

So we haven't seen the end of Jimmy the Mod yet. I think PT accepts that he will never better the work he did between 69-73 which is why he puts so much energy in Tommy or Quadrophenia projects these days.

I hope that perhaps the development of Jimmy in Quadrophenia Pt 2 will take in The Who's foray into psychedelia which resulted in the brilliant The Who Sell Out album. Jimmy goes psychedelic! in an echo of PT's own psychedelic experiences watching the likes of Pink Floyd down at the UFO Club in London. Could be quite funny.

Date: November 25, 2011 16:08

Speaking of never ending Townshend obsessions -
I just bought the London Symphony Orchestra Tommy for the first time
(the excellent Reperoire Records reissue).

Perhaps owerblown in some cases and not always convincing, but still a fascinating look+listen at the early/mid seventies.

Some orchestra-parts (and singing performances) are really great. You can hear where Bob Ezrin got his ideas for Lou Reed's Berlin from (at least some of them).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 16:21 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Satisfaction ()
Date: November 25, 2011 16:50

By any chance, could anyone tell me if there is a difference of mix and quality between the "Deluxe" version and the one of "The Director's cuts"??

Date: November 25, 2011 17:08

For all I know we only have two new versions:

The Deluxe Edition (2 CD incl. 10 Bonus tracks)
The Super Deluxe Edition (Box Set)

Both are referred to as "Directors's Cut".

There's no other Deluxe edition availble. Only the 1996 remaster (2-CD).
AFAIK the same remaster was used for the core album as part of the two new
"Directors Cut" editions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 17:11 by Greenblues.

Date: November 25, 2011 17:27

Greenblues
Speaking of never ending Townshend obsessions -
I just bought the London Symphony Orchestra Tommy for the first time
(the excellent Reperoire Records reissue).

Perhaps owerblown in some cases and not always convincing, but still a fascinating look+listen at the early/mid seventies.

Some orchestra-parts (and singing performances) are really great. You can hear where Bob Ezrin got his ideas for Lou Reed's Berlin from (at least some of them).

Yes, I recently got that too. Not too bad but I can't see me listening to it a lot. I also managed to track down a boot of the Tommy Rainbow show they did in Dec 1972. I remember the gig well but couldn't get any tickets.

Date: November 26, 2011 16:05

For those wondering about the overdubbed drums on the demos, it was not a huge deal. Out of 25 demos, he only added drums to 5 songs and this diehard fan of his demos really didn't mind them in most cases. In fact, only "Bell Boy" and "I've Had Enough" were the only two where it definitely didn't sound like drumming in all of his other demos. I have tons of his other demos and his drumming is always kind of simple as he knew the one and only Keith Moon would be laying it down.

"Sea and Sand is available on Scoop 3" and in comparing the two, the added drums are fine, but he edited the length of the song and it's now sadly 45 seconds shorter.

"Bell Boy" without the drums is pretty widely available in Who circles as a pretty good quality boot and the length is about the same but the new reelase leaves off some count in stuff, but as I said, the drums on this one are a little jarring.

"I've Had Enough" is also available as a boot, and is definitely better in my opinion without the added drums, but obviously the sound quality is clearer on the new release. Length is pretty much the same on both.

"Dr. Jimmy" was not available (not to my knowledge anyway) but as I said the drums are pretty light on this one, but still would have ben nice to hear without them. This song is amusing to me - when Roger sings it as a brute on the LP it clearly is believable, when Pete sings this in his demos in his higher voice it's a bit amusing and you don't quite believe:

"You say she's a virgin.
I'm gonna be the first in.
Her fellah's gonna kill me?
Oh @#$%& will he.
I'm seeing double
But don't miss me if you can.
There's gonna be trouble
When she choses her man."

The Dr. Jimmy demo clocks in at 7:30 and is definitely one of the highlights.

"Quadrophenic 4 Faces" was also not previously available as far as I know, but the drums aren't too much on this one either.

I am really enjoying this release, I was much more looking forward to SG but I've been playing this one more and the book is beautiful.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home