Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Who Will Tour Quadrophenia in 2012
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 26, 2011 05:17

[www.wcsx.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-26 05:18 by tatters.

Re: OT: The Who Will Tour Quadrophenia in 2012
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 26, 2011 05:19

YES

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: July 26, 2011 05:56

I wish they would come close to where I am at.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 26, 2011 08:49

I love the Who (as my name implies) but I hope this is not a retread of the 96-97 Quadrophenia tours. As good as those concerts were, I'd like to see Quad presented differently.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 26, 2011 09:49

I am seriously underwhelmed.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 26, 2011 10:32

Oh no, not again.

Posted by: fate268 ()
Date: July 26, 2011 10:36

thats the plan & none to worry

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 26, 2011 17:24

I would go. The 95 show I saw was great, with Billy Idol and Gary Glitter. Simon Townsend's lead guitar was great. If Daltry's voice is indeed fixed after his surgery, it would be a great show.

My 3 favorite albums of all time are:

Exiles
Quadrophenia
London Calling

Now if the Stones will tour and do Exiles all the way thru, it could be a near perfect year.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 26, 2011 19:09

Again?? Billy Idol and Gary Glitter?????

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 26, 2011 20:12

I don't know if this has been posted previously, but this can't be good.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: July 26, 2011 20:38

I doubt Pete's the only rocker with a hearing aid he's just been the most vocal about using one. I imagine most of these guys have them. I mean most regular people reach about late 60s-70s and start wearing hearing aids and they haven't spent the greater part of their lives around loud music.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 26, 2011 20:41

Big Al

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

I've asked a couple Doctor friends of mine, through the years, to explain how Pete could go from playing acoustic and standing in a "loudness free" zone on stage back to hammering the red strat as he has done since 1999 and they all said his hearing must have been so far gone then that it simply didn't matter.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 26, 2011 22:42

It always puzzled me, the playing an acoustic onstage due to hearing issues thing. How could that possibly matter in a big show like that? Which guitar you play has no effect on how loud the monitors are and how loud it is on stage. If you play an acoustic, you still need to hear yourself, and the acoustic is amplified just like the other instruments!! Very strange.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 27, 2011 00:31

Suh-Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 27, 2011 01:12

Count me in. Hope 2012 will rock us hard!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 27, 2011 01:25

Who will tour Quadrophenia in 2012?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 27, 2011 01:48

Stoneage
Who will tour Quadrophenia in 2012?
what? where?

Date: July 27, 2011 02:45

R
Big Al

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

I've asked a couple Doctor friends of mine, through the years, to explain how Pete could go from playing acoustic and standing in a "loudness free" zone on stage back to hammering the red strat as he has done since 1999 and they all said his hearing must have been so far gone then that it simply didn't matter.

He's also not playing nearly as loud as he used to.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2011 11:50

Really hope they're up for it. It was a pale shadow of its former self in 96.

I was lucky enough to catch it the first time round at Sundown Edmonton Dec 73 and it was incredible. Here's a clip of 5.15 from around that time.

Date: July 27, 2011 12:52

Tate
It always puzzled me, the playing an acoustic onstage due to hearing issues thing. How could that possibly matter in a big show like that? Which guitar you play has no effect on how loud the monitors are and how loud it is on stage. If you play an acoustic, you still need to hear yourself, and the acoustic is amplified just like the other instruments!! Very strange.

Can't see it too well from this video, but on the 1989-90 tour, during which Pete played mostly acoustic, he was on the "quiet" side of the stage, with only the backup singers and percussionist Jody Linscott anywhere near him. The horns, the keyboards, and the guy they brought in to play electric guitar, were all on Entwistle's side of the stage.

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 27, 2011 14:52

Really. Well whatever. The Pete And Roger Show. Pete is or isn't almost deaf but can't hear the highs anymore and needs 'forensics' to help him hear. Roger this, Roger that.

At least they're doing something, right? They know nobody wants anything new, they know they are only a nostalgia act...

Date: July 27, 2011 15:06

The only thing "new" that they could still do that would generate much interest would be to try to perform some version of the aborted Lifehouse project in its entirety, more or less.

Date: July 27, 2011 18:36

Silver Dagger

I was lucky enough to catch it the first time round at Sundown Edmonton Dec 73 and it was incredible. Here's a clip of 5.15 from around that time.

WOW, any chance you could give us a review of that show Silver Dagger? Who fans (and the band) consider the Edmonton shows some of the best of the Quad 73 tour.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: July 27, 2011 22:46

reg thorpe
Again?? Billy Idol and Gary Glitter?????

I wonder if Gary Glitter and Pete would have any mutual interests to talk about.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2011 01:52

I misread the subject line at first.

I thought it said "OT: The Who Kill Tour Quadrophenia in 2012",

and my reaction was...'oh good'.

I love(d) the Who, but the idea of half the band dragging it all out one more time is not appealing.

I saw them in I think it was 88 or 89, and I thought the live show was poor and Roger was awful. I can't imagine it over 20 years later.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 28, 2011 06:30

Can't keep up with Pete's hearing issues the past 20+ years...first he's deaf and has to perform in a sequestered area of the stage...then he's okay...then he's deaf again...then it's just tinnitus...then he's deaf, but it doesn't matter because his hearing can't get any worse anyway...then he's okay...then he's deaf again...then he has hearing aids...etc. etc.

That being said...I saw 3/4 Who (with Zak Starkey and others) perform Quadrophenia in 1996 and it was excellent...Pete played some electric and Entwistle was outstanding. "The Real Me" was a great highlight, plus Pete, Roger and John by themselves did a fantastic version of "Won't Get Fooled Again" (with Pete on acoustic)...one of the best single performances of a song I've ever witnessed.

1/2 Who now? Probably not for me.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2011 12:41

Happy Jack
Silver Dagger

WOW, any chance you could give us a review of that show Silver Dagger? Who fans (and the band) consider the Edmonton shows some of the best of the Quad 73 tour.

It was among my first rock shows - I'd seen the Stones at Wembley Empire Pool in September, Pink Floyd at Earl's Court in May and at the Rainbow in November, The Beach Boys and Cat Stevens so getting to see The Who too, on Saturday Dec 22, topped off an amazing year for me.

I remember on the way there meeting a friend who was on his way to seeing Wishbone Ash at Alexandra Palace and thinking I was going to the better gig.
The support was the amazing Babe Ruth and lead singer Jenny Hahn strutted her stuff and won the crowd over - hard work for anyone supporting The Who.

They came on at about at about 9pm and started off with an explosive four song salvo of I Can't Explain, Summertime Blues, My Generation and My Wife before embarking on the 9-song 'mini opera' of Quadrophenia.

As the lights dimmed Roger began singing those immortal first lines, Can you see the real me, can ya, can ya?' and suddenly Townshend slammed into that first chord and the full lights blazed behind them and we were off on a 100mph roller coaster ride.

Punk And The Godfather was next and Pete did his human windmill act to tumultous applause. I'm One quitened the mood down a tad but then it was back to full Who power with then hit single 5.15.

The Who are so good at using dynamics and these were employed for the next two songs to again bring down the tempo - Sea And Sand and a really long Drowned.
And then Moon got his starring role as Bell Boy, cockily singing the 'carry the bleedin' baggage out' line and thrashing about his giant drum set like an octopus on speed. Doctor Jimmy and a really emotional Love Reign O'er Me ended the Quadrophenia segment and then it was on to the storming finale of Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, and See Me Feel Me.

The applause at the end of the set was deafening, the loudest and longest I'd heard up to that point. The 5 minute wait was worth it and they came back on with a stunning and aggressive Substitute. The next song was perhaps my most enjoyable of the night - a mega long Magic Bus - perhaps even longer than the Live At Leeds version during which Roger, in his jeans and chammy leather waistcoat passed out cups of water to the grateful crowd.

Then we got one of the great encore crowd pleasers of the early 70s, Naked Eye with Townshend chraging around the stage like a mad bull. And that segued into Spoonful before they left the stage for the final time.

They don't make 'em like The Who anymore and you don't get shows with that intensity either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-28 23:09 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 28, 2011 13:43

I went to the Roger Daltrey gig on Sunday 24th July and it was a realy good show.''Tommy'' was 50-60% of the show and I must admit that certain numbers were played very well,but would have much rather had a few more Who tracks instead .I know that it was billed as Tommy,but I had forgotten how un-memorable a few tracks were.The first section of the show was great with Roger and his great band playing his own stuff and a bit of The Who.The last 45 minutes was also great with the fans getting up to the front of stage and a lot of interaction with the band.It was 90% all Who favourites at this stage by a realy great band.All in all a great show by RD,but the bit in the middle was just a bit too much Tommy for me.What I'm getting at, is that a full Quadrophenia show,and it's a double LP might be a bit too much. smoking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 28, 2011 21:32

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 30, 2011 21:13

The Who need to hang it up once and for all!!!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home