Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Breaking News.....Amy Winehouse dead
Posted by: paulm ()
Date: July 25, 2011 04:39

AW could have had a lot more life to live and talent to share, but saying if she "died tomorrow" she'd be "happy" shows that she was willing to check out. Seems she was sad over the breakup of producer Reg Traviss but that's not a reason to OD. Life comes first. Many of us have endured lost love and emerged out the other side. A broken heart is not to blame, rather the desire to escape chemically at a high level.

Keith had his "Before They Make Me Run" moment; that's a decision for life. Did AW have that moment? I don't think she did. Maybe the girl really didn't have the desire to live. Death is so permanent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 04:41 by paulm.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 25, 2011 06:35

thabo
It's weird isn't it? Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendriks, Brain Jones, Kurt Cobain and now Amy Winehouse, all died at 27 years of age.

Not that weird.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 25, 2011 09:18

marianna
I found her one major album pretty good, but I don't get the extreme praise some people heap on her. Also, she didn't do anything after that one album. You mean to tell me in five years she couldn't put out another album? Don't tell me good things take time because you know what she was doing with her time. Don't lump her in with the greats because she failed that test. At best, she had the potential for greatness, but didn't fulfill it, no matter what the reasons were. None of those other people who were famous for dying at 27 did as little as she did. They abused substances, too, but did far, far more with their lives and careers even in the throes of addiction. That might be an interesting study in itself, why some people can still do a lot of work while addicted while others do nothing much.

My main problem I have is people who call her great and original: have you ever heard African American singers of the 20th century? To me, she rips off African Americans who did it first. She also rips off the girl groups of the '60s, both black and white. I guess her singing style and hair style must seem original to people who aren't familiar with much music of the past, but she was following a well-worn path. And again, how can you love someone so much who only did one major album that reflected what she wanted to do? It's a good album, but again, not that wildly original, and she totally failed to follow up on it. She could have even done cover versions and made them her own (I'm thinking of Janis Joplin's "Me & Bobby McGee," which was written by Kris Kristoferson, an example of a singer making a song her own), but she didn't do that. She didn't do much at all, other than make the tabloid news.

Amy recorded two highly impressive albums - 'Frank' and 'Back To Black'. 'Frank' is unjustly overlooked in my opinion, and to a degree her music is even more heartfelt and intimate (and also less commercial) on 'Frank' on certain key tracks, especially 'Stronger Than Me' and 'You Sent Me Flying'. It is true that 'Back To Black' is less contemporary, and more a pastiche to 60s soul, yet Amy is to be admired for injecting her own inimitable style into its contents also. Songs like the title track, and 'You Know I'm No Good', in addition to 'Love Is A Losing Game' go way beyond many of their 60s sources in terms of effectiveness. Amy's music was always primarily a way of expressig herself within the music, in terms of feelings and attitude. It was always 100% authentic on those terms, and her voice was an amazingly effective instrument. She was never bland. I didn't however feel that songs like 'Valerie', and several of those ska covers, best represented her talents. Also, live, she never really managed to find the discipline for any length of time to produce what she was truly capable of. Those early days around the time of 'Frank' was perhaps when she had the greater sense of focus in a live sense, which is unfortunate, because those officially released live performances just fail to do her talent justice. However, they do represent the person, only too frankly, and i suppose that was ultimately what Amy was all about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 09:21 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 11:19

Sad, she seemed like a nice person under the image, way too young to go. sad smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 25, 2011 11:34

So, so sad. That is what I feel now. Goddamn that bloody, stupid "27 club".

But as what goes for her art, she made the difference. Like a breeze of fresh air. A raw, spontaneus, hard to handle talent. From her voice, her songcraft talents to her looks and, unfortunately, life style. She had the whole package. "Ripping off the African Americans who did it first?" Not more than that Mick Jagger has done. In fact, there haven't been many recently like her who really could transform African American musical tradition to such original sounding results. She made her own interesting and unique interpretation, just like the Stones once did.

A huge loss. RIP Amy.

- Doxa

P.S. In a recent review concerning SuperHeavy someone - accurately I think - described that the difference between Joss Stone and Mick Jagger in regard to their dept on 'original' black music, is that while "Jagger turned imitation into art. For Joss Stone it remains a craft." I think Amy was nearer to Mick's position than to ms. Stone's.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 11:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: July 25, 2011 11:52

71Tele
thabo
It's weird isn't it? Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendriks, Brain Jones, Kurt Cobain and now Amy Winehouse, all died at 27 years of age.

Not that weird.

Ah, you've got some inside info why exactly the age 27? Please explain yourself.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 12:31

So sad to hear the news yesterday.

What a waste and a huge lost. RIP Amy.

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: July 25, 2011 15:39

thabo
71Tele
thabo

Not that weird.

Ah, you've got some inside info why exactly the age 27? Please explain yourself.

You didn't catch that?

I think he meant that the 27 club is not that weird, they all had it comming & simply, didn't know when to stop.

Keith knew not to over do drugs, the others didn't.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 25, 2011 15:56

donteverstop

Nonsense!

Keith is just lucky, he's had some close calls, but had luck on his side and/or had people around him to help him just as Clapton, Page and a whole number of ex junkies have had.

Amy, Brian, Hendrix etc just didn't have the same luck.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 25, 2011 16:11

Date: July 25, 2011 16:31

His Majesty
donteverstop

Nonsense!

Keith is just lucky, he's had some close calls, but had luck on his side and/or had people around him to help him just as Clapton, Page and a whole number of ex junkies have had.

Amy, Brian, Hendrix etc just didn't have the same luck.

I could be wrong but I remember an interview w/ Keith saying he never really over did the heroin.

But w/ alcohol, some pills, I don't know.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 25, 2011 16:35

donteverstop

I could be wrong but I remember an interview w/ Keith saying he never really over did the heroin.

But w/ alcohol, some pills, I don't know.

That just typical Keith babble...

Plain and simple, Keith is lucky to be alive.

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: July 25, 2011 16:38

@ Edward Twining, nice critique.
Doxa
the difference between Joss Stone and Mick Jagger in regard to their dept on 'original' black music, is that while "Jagger turned imitation into art. For Joss Stone it remains a craft." I think Amy was nearer to Mick's position than to ms. Stone's.
+1. For me, Joss Stone is derivative, one dimensional. She looks great and sounds authentic, but lacks originality. I really pick this up watching the SuperHeavy vids. There are SO many singers who nail the Motown sound, but do not have the ability to transcend that into art.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 16:41 by paulm.

Date: July 25, 2011 17:57

His Majesty
Plain and simple, Keith is lucky to be alive.

Yes.

We all are too.

For life is but a chance, on a wind swept hill...

We could get hit by a bus tomorrow or die in fustration to what Mick is doing musically now...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 25, 2011 18:02

>>We could get hit by a bus tomorrow or die in fustration to what Mick is doing musically now...<<

confused smileyconfused smiley

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 18:02

I just found out. It is so sad. Not that I would be surprised. It is sad, that even today people destroy themselves this way, when the effects of drugs are so well known. Well, we are all different and some people are probably too sensitive and fragile to cope with this world, fame...But what do I know about her? R.I.P.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 25, 2011 18:11

Icy Hell

© S Raine

Looking forward with fear I stare.
I face the mirror to see there.
I've lost my family, my friends are few.
You've controlled my life but now I'm through.
I'm finally strong enough to fight.
By myself I'll make this right.
I've lived in Hell with my demon.
I've done your deeds a life of scheming.
All I've loved I've lost no hope.
All that's left is you and dope.
Seeing life smoked through a glass.
To erase the memories from my past.
With every hit I kept you strong.
I've stayed weak for far to long.
I'm taking back all you stole.
My life, my love, my world, my soul.
Today's the day I leave this jail.
So take your demon and go to Hell.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 25, 2011 18:11

R.I.P.
Amy

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: July 25, 2011 18:26

Adrian-L
bloody drugs..... i despise them.

So sad. May she rest in peace.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 25, 2011 18:37

donteverstop
thabo
71Tele
thabo

Not that weird.

You didn't catch that?

I think he meant that the 27 club is not that weird, they all had it comming & simply, didn't know when to stop.

Yes, thanks.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: July 25, 2011 19:05

An astrologist once tried to explain why 27 is such a deadly age for rock musicians. She talked about a period of several years in everyone's life called "the return of Saturn." It falls around your late 20's. IIRC, she said it's a tricky time because your major life issues - things that were in place at the time of your birth - come around again and can trigger 'some heavy shit" as we used to say in the 70's.

"Saturn has been known as the Great Malefic, whose transits are met with dread. But Saturn is simply the instigator of change, all meant to lead you toward healing and a real foundation of self. If you're in your Saturn return, and finding it hard to cope, get used to letting go of what's not working. When you hold on to things that Saturn is trying to break up, that's when the suffering is compounded."
[astrology.about.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2011 19:15

donteverstop
thabo
71Tele
thabo

Not that weird.

You didn't catch that?

Well I do think it is odd that it all happened on their 27th. An amazing coincidence though, and nothing beyond that.

Obviously had to do with them all becoming tremedously famous at a relatively early age, ie very early 20's, and the substance abuse spiral from that point.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 25, 2011 19:32

to be honest,i was suprised to see someone with actual talent make it in the music business in the this era.and man what a talent she was..

i listen to alot of old blues and soul music that goes back to the 1920's and believe me that girl had the voice to nail any of that stuff.

seemed like a really cool person too.what a terrible loss.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 25, 2011 19:34

paulm
@ Edward Twining, nice critique.
Doxa
the difference between Joss Stone and Mick Jagger in regard to their dept on 'original' black music, is that while "Jagger turned imitation into art. For Joss Stone it remains a craft." I think Amy was nearer to Mick's position than to ms. Stone's.
+1. For me, Joss Stone is derivative, one dimensional. She looks great and sounds authentic, but lacks originality. I really pick this up watching the SuperHeavy vids. There are SO many singers who nail the Motown sound, but do not have the ability to transcend that into art.

Yes, you are dead right. I feel like that about Beverley Knight too. She has a great voice, but i never find her interpretation of soul truly convincing. Not forgetting that jazz was Amy's primary influence, before she turned to soul for 'Back To Black'. Amy had the best of both worlds, being a truly outstanding singer from a technical viewpoint, and also living each song in her interpretation so instinctively. It perhaps helps also that many of those songs were also a touch autobiographical, with the topic/subject matter being close to her heart. I suppose that is also one of the advantages of living such an emotionally charged life!!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 25, 2011 19:50

The 27 thing is just too freaky for me. I hope she hadn't intentionally intended to join that macbre club.

RIP

It certainly wasn't a shock, but suprising to me nonetheless.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 21:13

Just ran across this photo gallery of artists who died at the age of 27

[www.capecodonline.com]

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: July 25, 2011 21:50

why are we romanticizing this so-called "27 club"? everyone knows about it now, pretty much. why glorify it even more? i'm pretty sure if someone did some research they'd find that at least 5 famous people died at the age of 73. or 83. or 47. or 65. or 91 or blah blah blah. how many big names from the sixties survived past the age of 27? i'm pretty sure it's a lot more than those that are in the "27 club".

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 25, 2011 21:59

ineedadrink
why are we romanticizing this so-called "27 club"? everyone knows about it now, pretty much. why glorify it even more? i'm pretty sure if someone did some research they'd find that at least 5 famous people died at the age of 73. or 83. or 47. or 65. or 91 or blah blah blah. how many big names from the sixties survived past the age of 27? i'm pretty sure it's a lot more than those that are in the "27 club".

I was wondering about this and thought well Sid Vicious died at 21, I know not on the scale of Hendrix or Brian Jones but still the same sort of scenario...drugs, drink etc.....then I remembered about Richie Edwards, probaly unknown outside Britain but his band the Manic Street Preachers were one of the big bands in the U.K. at one point........looked him up..........27..........[www.walesonline.co.uk] ..........eye popping smiley..............but then Stuart Cable from the Stereophonics (also big in the U.K. at one point) choked on his own vomit after bingeing..was 40 so................confused smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 22:03 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 25, 2011 22:43

I remomed my reply to ineedadrink to [www.iorr.org] since it suits better there, and let this thread just to salute Amy's memory.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-26 09:01 by Doxa.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 25, 2011 22:58

fwiw-[dreamhawk.com]

Every Seven Years You Change

""ARE you the same person now that you were fifteen years ago? In fact, are you the same person you were just seven years ago? Most of us have heard the old saying that every cell in the body is changed over a period of seven years; but recent investigation has uncovered facts of far more significance to us as human beings. This concerns the emotional, physical and mental changes that seem to occur in approximate seven-year intervals.""..... more@ [dreamhawk.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home