Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12
Re: Breaking News.....Amy Winehouse dead
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 24, 2011 00:51

Gazza
Milan

Eerily prophetic lyrics. sad smiley

Yes. And it always seem like that, whoever dies. Don't ask me why.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: July 24, 2011 01:06

Gazza
Milan

Eerily prophetic lyrics. sad smiley

That is truly sick. Like watching a ghost.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 24, 2011 01:06

Big Al
Amy on stage only last Wednesday

Dionne Bromfield is Amy's goddaughter and was signed on Amy's own label "Lioness".
She's 15 and has already released 2 albums.
I guess Amy wanted to help out for the new album promotion...

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: July 24, 2011 01:16

No demons anymore Amy.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 24, 2011 01:23

RIP

Posted by: PammyB ()
Date: July 24, 2011 01:26

24FPS
Wow. She learned nothing from the mistakes of those who destroyed themselves before her.

Like Keith? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: July 24, 2011 01:50

Too soon gone. RIP Amy.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: July 24, 2011 01:51

PammyB
24FPS
Wow. She learned nothing from the mistakes of those who destroyed themselves before her.

Like Keith? eye rolling smiley
Brian Jones

Posted by: DragonSky ()
Date: July 24, 2011 02:10

Sad news indeed, another awesome talent lost to mindlessness. Yet no surprise, especially here, I think, seeing how the talk of her...dabbling has lead to talking about this very thing specifically if she didn't clean her self up.

Date: July 24, 2011 02:23

Faces dedicated their gig at Hurtwood Park Polo Club in Surrey (July 23) to the late singer Amy Winehouse

The reformed band have paid tribute to the 27-year-old after she passed away at her London flat earlier today.

In a posting on guitarist Ronnie Wood's Twitter page, Twitter.com/ronniewoodshow, the band said Winehouse's death was a "sad loss of a talented friend".

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: July 24, 2011 02:28

R I P Amy....

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 24, 2011 02:41

The train carries all

Date: July 24, 2011 02:47

why is this sad news. if you've followed her at all you knew this would happen. 27 years old.....kurt,jim,janis,jimi. dance with the devil you die eventually

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 24, 2011 03:05

just a shame way to young

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: July 24, 2011 03:18

Sad news indeed. Rest in peace Amy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2011 03:36

So sad ta see you leave us Amy ...
You never seemed to find shelter...

Thanks for the gifts - Hope there's an angel there waiting for you...

TAKE CARE

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 24, 2011 04:19

EddieByword

When I see a person with so little respect for anything I'm afraid I don't have respect for them.....dead or alive............

btw shouldn't this thread be OT ?.........................

I think you should also consider that her additctions were a sickness. Some get the help they need in time and some unfortunately do not. Nonetheless, I think the last thing one should do right now is judge.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 24, 2011 04:32

Such a loss of talent.

Just about the only new talent of the 00's I genuinely loved.

RIP Amy Winehouse

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 24, 2011 04:39

21stcenturystones
why is this sad news. if you've followed her at all you knew this would happen. 27 years old.....kurt,jim,janis,jimi. dance with the devil you die eventually

Some can cheat the devil at his own game... Keith Richards is one, Marianne Faithfull, Anita Pallenberg, Steven Tyler, Charlie Watts even, all on heroin and danced with the devil.... Maybe Amy fought she could cheat him too. Still sad no matter what.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 24, 2011 05:13

Rip This
EddieByword

When I see a person with so little respect for anything I'm afraid I don't have respect for them.....dead or alive............

I think you should also consider that her additctions were a sickness. Some get the help they need in time and some unfortunately do not. Nonetheless, I think the last thing one should do right now is judge.

I had those 'addictions',('70,s & early '80,s) many of my friends including my sister died from them too, when I got married (in the morning) I went to my good friend's funeral in the afternoon...........I overcame my addictions with no help from anyone except my wife who once put a cold flannel on my forehead when I was shaking and sweating. I broke the physical and psychological hold in one move...by asking and answering one question....Did I want to live or die ?...and understanding that to answer in the affirmative and then possibly play with that new will thereafter I was going to die. Afterwards I realised regarding others with similar problems that I was not at all special...that question is there, in everybody, to be asked to themselves and answered free of charge. When you get caught up like that with substances there is a way out and all you have to do is let the will to survive blossom and not play around deceiving yourself or others. The Will will sort out all the other side effects - no problem.
I realised when I got better that there is only one thing stopping anybody from proceeding and succeeding on the same path as me and that's a propensity for self pity and self induglence. Since then I've not subscribed to the notion that addicts have an illness at all...it's just self-indulgence. Illness is where one has no choice. I had a life threatening cancer about 20 years ago...In that case I felt completely impotent, I think the idea that addicts are impotent, citing "I can't help my self...I'm addicted" is a myth put about to excuse their self indulgence." All someone has to do to shake the shackles of toxic substances is.. they must want to.....This is borne out also by experienced rehab centres who will tell every patient...."There's no chance of this treatment succeeding unless you want it to"...........(personally I think rehab is a self-indulgence too....man...grow up and sort yourself out).......

Also there's a thing that's said of addicts..."once you've completed the program that's not the end...once an addict always an addict ...it's just a matter of taking each day as it comes and keeping the substances at bay...which will always be a struggle........for the rest of your life"
Well I can't relate to that either... I NEVER think about drink, drugs or even cigarettes (Which I gave up 10 years ago from 40 a day).......NEVER...EVER..........my will to live has me too involved in life affirming pastimes for these things to ever enter my consciousness..........EVER....(Tonight being the exception of course).......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-24 14:32 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 24, 2011 05:30

EddieByword, next weekend I'm traveling to the town where I was born in '61, and I'm going to have to confront someone who's suffering with a similar situation.

I regret that the death of someone who's so respected has brought this on, but the words you just wrote has enlightened me on how to go about confronting this person.

Thanks, man. thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 24, 2011 05:37

Edith Grove
EddieByword, next weekend I'm traveling to the town where I was born in '61, and I'm going to have to confront someone who's suffering with a similar situation.

I regret that the death of someone who's so respected has brought this on, but the words you just wrote has enlightened me on how to go about confronting this person.

Thanks, man. thumbs up

Your welcome....I hope that works out..........Cheers Edith,,, thanks for telling me...it's good of course to think that my experience might help someone else too.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-24 05:47 by EddieByword.

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: July 24, 2011 06:33

the last of a long list of people gone too early. RIP Amy. Long live to R'N'R.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 24, 2011 06:43

EddieByword
Rip This
EddieByword

I had those 'addictions',('70,s & early '80,s) many of my friends including my sister died from them too, when I got married (in the morning) I went to my good friend's funeral in the afternoon...........I overcame my addictions with no help from anyone except my wife who once put a cold fannel on my forehead when I was shaking and sweating. I broke the physical and psychological hold in one move...by asking and answering one question....Did I want to live or die ?...and understanding that to answer in the affirmative and then possibly play with that new will thereafter I was going to die. Afterwards I realised regarding others with similar problems that I was not at all special...that question is there, in everybody, to be asked to themselves and answered free of charge. When you get caught up like that with substances there is a way out and all you have to do is let the will to survive blossom and not play around deceiving yourself or others. The Will will sort out all the other side effects - no problem.
I realised when I got better that there is only one thing stopping anybody from proceeding and succeeding on the same path as me and that's a propensity for self pity and self induglence. Since then I've not subscribed to the notion that addicts have an illness at all...it's just self-indulgence. Illness is where one has no choice. I had a life threatening cancer about 20 years ago...In that case I felt completely impotent, I think the idea that addicts are impotent, citing "I can't help my self...I'm addicted" is a myth put about to excuse their self indulgence." All someone has to do to shake the shackles of toxic substances is.. they must want to.....This is borne out also by experienced rehab centres who will tell every patient...."There's no chance of this treatment succeeding unless you want it to"...........(personally I think rehab is a self-indulgence too....man...grow up and sort yourself out).......

Also there's a thing that's said of addicts..."once you've completed the program that's not the end...once an addict always an addict ...it's just a matter of taking each day as it comes and keeping the substances at bay...which will always be a struggle........for the rest of your life"
Well I can't relate to that either... I NEVER think about drink, drugs or even cigarettes (Which I gave up 10 years ago from 40 a day).......NEVER...EVER..........my will to live has me too involved in life affirming pastimes for these things to ever enter my consciousness..........EVER....(Tonight being the exception of course).......

Very wise. Thanks for sharing. Look, some people get better by buying into the "disease" model of addiction, but you have shown that it is possible to achieve something beyond "sobriety", which is transcendence. This is within every human being's potential. The "once an addict, always an addict" approach that AA and other similar philosophies push is not the only way. Some people indeed never struggle once they have given up addictive substances. Never relapse. Never go to meetings. Never need to.

Ms. Winehouse was very young. But it seemed she was absolutely determined to complete her self-destruction. When someone is that determined (as we learned with Cobain) there is not much others can do to stop them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-24 06:45 by 71Tele.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 24, 2011 09:50

An immense talent,so sad.Just wished she had listened to Uncle Mick's advice.RIP.X

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 24, 2011 10:20

If I remember Keith made statement about her behavior ?

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 24, 2011 10:54

Didn't take long for people to start cashing in...

[www.regretsy.com]

Posted by: straycatrockin ()
Date: July 24, 2011 11:06

The good always die young, for example: Jones, Janis, Kurt, Hendrix and Morrison

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 24, 2011 11:43

Amy Winehouse: an astonishing voice and a brilliant songwriter

Winehouse died at the age of 27, like Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. She was killed by fame and circumstance.
Before the cancelled gigs, the tabloid horror photographs, the drink, the drugs, the clean-up and the fatal relapse, was the remarkable, unique talent.
Amy Winehouse will be remembered as one of the great singers of the 21st century. A soul singer to the core — Winehouse took the good, the bad, the ugly, the indifferent, the tragic and the beautiful from life — and distilled it into song.
Her voice was astonishing: it transcended the constraints of training to convey pure emotion. But perhaps less celebrated was her songwriting skill, and ultimately, this is what she will be remembered for.
It’s rare for pop music to be appreciated for its musical innovation and complexity. But Back To Black, the title track from Winehouse’s second, defining album, completely breaks the rules of how a song is structured.
Around three quarters through the song, its various elements drop away until there is literally nothing going on but a beat: the music is implied, and with that sparseness, the coldness of the lyrics is implied too.
Elsewhere on the album, Winehouse found ways to apply existing forms to modern concerns. The obvious example of this is Rehab.
The music is pure classic soul revue material, and yet the words describe someone that refuses to give up her bad old ways against the better judgement of friends, family and probably herself.
Like all the best songwriters, Winehouse used a personal experience and found a way of making it universal and applicable to the modern age. Modernity is suggested in the title, but the message of a young woman trying to do things her way is ancient and enduring. Rehab is a modern folk song: it will give future generations an idea of how we live now.
Winehouse died at the age of 27, like Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. To suggest some sort of inevitability to this is to misunderstand the tragedy of chance. Winehouse was killed by fame and circumstance as much as anything. Two years after her 2003 debut, Frank, established her as a bright but manageable star of what was then an emerging resurgence in old fashioned vocal jazz, I interviewed Winehouse at her flat in Camden.
“Who can I make a cup of tea for?” were the first words she spoke to me and the photographer, coming across as a friendly, forthright young woman that, to be honest, was a lot more polite and considerate than many young pop stars.
She went on to describe, in great detail and with eloquence, her love of singers like Etta James, Aretha Franklin and Billie Holiday; not the usual names for 21-year-olds to wax lyrical about. There was no romanticising of tragic figures from the past, and very much a sense that here was a bright young woman at the beginning of her career, having fun, talking about going out and getting drunk with her friends, yet taking seriously the intricate craft of being a jazz vocalist.
There was a huge leap from Frank to Back To Black, in a professional sense and apparently in Winehouse’s lifestyle. Boyfriend troubles, an emerging pit of drink and drugs and the tradition of the classic heartbreak song might have informed You Know I’m No Good and Love Is A Losing Game, but the fierce ambition of someone determined to fulfil her artistic potential made Back To Black stand out musically.
Mark Ronson’s modern R&B production combined with 60s girl group and soul styles, and there’s an immediacy, even a desperation, to the songs that makes them undeniable.
There’s also a deep sadness to Back To Black that fills it with a kind of painful yearning. Whatever was going on inside was externalised into art. Frank was the work of a cheerful, clever, rebellious young Jewish North Londoner, Back To Black was the work of a woman whose life, for whatever reasons, had spiralled out of control. Yet she still had the power to transplant all the things that were going on inside her into creativity.
What will she be remembered for? One of the greatest things about popular music is that the best songs endure, long after the fascination with the artist has abated.
You don’t need to know anything about Billie Holiday’s terribly sad life to be profoundly moved by the loneliness and depth of feeling in her version of the jazz standard I Cover The Waterfront. For future generations, the story of a life going wrong will fade into the distance. Back To Black and Love Is A Losing Game, with all the poignancy, innovation and humanity soaked into them will endure.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 24, 2011 12:47

Today's Mail Online has reports of heartbreak.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home