Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT:Harry Potter star Alan Rickman dead at 69
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 14, 2016 14:49

More sad news this week. Alan Rickman became universally famous for his part as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films as well as the Sheriff Of Nottingham in Robin: Prince Of Thieves and the marvellous Truly, Madly, Deeply. RIP Alan.

[www.theguardian.com]

Alan Rickman, giant of British film and theatre, dies at 69

A star whose arch features and languid diction were recognisable across the generations, Rickman found a fresh legion of fans with his role as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films. But the actor had been a big-screen staple since first shooting to global acclaim in 1988, when he starred as Hans Gruber, Bruce Willis’s sardonic, dastardly adversary in Die Hard – a part he was offered two days after arriving in Los Angeles, aged 41.

Gruber was the first of three memorable baddies played by Rickman: he was an outrageous sheriff of Nottingham in 1991’s Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, as well as a terrifying Rasputin in an acclaimed 1995 HBO film.

But Rickman was also a singular leading man: in 1991, he starred as a cellist opposite Juliet Stevenson in Anthony Minghella’s affecting supernatural romance Truly, Madly, Deeply; four years later he was the honourable and modest Col Brandon in Sense and Sensibility, starring and scripted by Emma Thompson. He was to reunite with Thompson many times: they played husband and wife in 2003’s Love, Actually and former lovers in 2010 BBC drama The Song of Lunch.

In 1995, he directed Thompson and her mother, Phyllida Law, in his directorial debut, the acclaimed Scottish drama The Winter Guest. Last year, he reunited with Kate Winslet, another Sense and Sensibility co-star, for his second film as director, A Little Chaos – a period romance set in the gardens of Versailles.

Yet it was Rickman’s work on stage that established him as such a compelling talent, and to which he returned throughout his career. After graduating from Rada, the actor supported himself as a dresser for the likes of Nigel Hawthorne and Ralph Richardson before finding work with the Royal Shakespeare Company (as well as on TV as the slithery Reverend Slope in The Barchester Chronicles).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 14:56 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT:Harry Potter star Alan Rickman dead at 69
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 14, 2016 14:50

"Hans, bubby."

RIP

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 14, 2016 15:15

Wow - I didn't realize he was that old. I hope he will be remembered for more than playing Snape.

Posted by: Big Al ()

Rest in peace, Alan Rickman

I remember him best for his superb performance as the villan in Die Hard. A great actor. Actually, I was obssessed with Robin Hood Prince of Theives as an eight-year-old. His role as the Sheriff of Nottingham certainly sticks in the mind; comical and menacing at the same time.

Posted by: jlowe ()

Yes great actor, another cancer victim.
I was once told I looked like him!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 14, 2016 15:45

This has been a horrible few weeks...Lemmy, David Bowie, Angus Scrimm (the iconic "Tall Man" from the Phantasm horror film series), and now the great Alan Rickman.

Very, very sad.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 14, 2016 15:53

Jeez….he acted in a few Tim Burton movies I believe

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 14, 2016 16:20

RIP Alan. The sad loss of a great talentsad smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 14, 2016 16:35

He was good as Stephen Spurrier in 'Bottle Shock'

I know its not one of his major roles, but that was a fun movie.

fine actor

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 14, 2016 16:50

There were some horrible actors in Harry Potter (Ron - mainly the later movies, and his sister stand out - also hated the 2nd Dumbledore) but Snape was one of the better ones! And Gary Oldman of course.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 14, 2016 20:56

Haans Grober YIPPE K YAY MF! 1st Die Hard was the best.....

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 14, 2016 22:35

Die Hard (the first) is a Christmas season staple (remember it occurs at an Xmas Eve party or such) to watch, along with the first Gremlins movie (also set at Xmas time, but has zilch to do with Rickman). Rickman played villains very well, though, his role in Sense and Sensibility remains one of my faves. A great actor who will be missed.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 14, 2016 22:46

BamaStone
Haans Grober YIPPE K YAY MF! 1st Die Hard was the best.....

thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 14, 2016 22:58

I think I'll watch Dogma tonight in his honor. Haven't heard from The Metatron in a while.

RIP

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: January 15, 2016 02:16

Dr. Lazarus will be chatting with the writer of "Lazarus"

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 15, 2016 02:33

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 15, 2016 03:15

Dammit. Another one of the good guys gone far too soon. He will be missed. RIP.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: January 15, 2016 04:19

I loved him in Galaxy Quest

RIP Alan Rickman

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: January 15, 2016 12:44

What a sad week. Lemmy, Bowie and now Alan Rickman. Alan was a first class actor, he played bad guy in "Die hard", but also in films based on books by Jane Austen. rest in peace

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 13:00

Very sad...
love to see him as the Sheriff of Nottingham
and as Colonel Christopher Brandon...
RIP Alan
sad smiley

Date: January 15, 2016 13:29

R.I.P. Alan Rickman
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: January 14, 2016 19:58

Just read online that Alan Rickman (English actor..Die Hard, Harry Potter, etc.) just died at age 69 from cancer. Don't have any other details. Been a very sad week so far.

Re: R.I.P. Alan Rickman
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:00

Farewell, Snape. sad smiley

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:22

I loved him in Galaxy Quest

RIP Alan Rickman

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: January 15, 2016 01:28

See already here: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 16, 2016 03:12

One of my co-teachers at work was teary-eyed over Alan Rickman's passing. He said to me, "is it okay that I am more upset about him than David Bowie?" It made me smile...it's touching how an artist can move people so.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 16, 2016 03:34

duke richardson
He was good as Stephen Spurrier in 'Bottle Shock'

I saw that movie at a random showing in a modest strip mall south of L.A. and after the end, two people stood up and one said, "Hi, I'm the director Randall Miller and here's my wife. We just thought we'd drop in on a showing. We'll answer any questions." So they answered questions, including those about Alan Rickman. A great surprise to randomly see a movie and then have the director completely unexpectedly stand up at the end!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2108
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home