Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The best part of "Don't Stop"?
Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: July 23, 2011 05:50

I like Don't Stop. I liked it on 2002/2003 tour! I like the opening guitar, Jagger's vocals and the camera that was on the neck of Ronnie's guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-23 19:19 by georgeV.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2011 06:19

More Hot Rocks
Love it. Another great Stones tume!!

Yes, I do love that tume. Or do you mean tomb?

I think if they had rewritten the melody a bit, and retitled it,

"STOP, ALREADY", it may have found more of an audience.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 23, 2011 08:47

none of it. a bad B side.

Posted by: keefyboy ()
Date: July 23, 2011 14:35

Love the song and especially the visual on Ronnies solo with the camera on the guitar neck, great Rocker, when someone said the best bit is when it stopped i was thinking the same but mean't when the guitar stopped and Mick sings along with the drum beat. Good one.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: July 23, 2011 17:40

treaclefingers
I like when it actually stops. Ironic, huh?!
indeed.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 24, 2011 11:15

"Don't Stop" would be an ordinary song if played by any band. The solo is just appaling. What makes the difference to my ears are the few Keith notes just here and there with its inimitable raucous sound.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: July 24, 2011 11:59

Justin
stones78
At least it's a catchy song. Unlike all the generic "rockers" the Stones have been churning out since Voodoo Lounge...Rough Justice, Flip The Switch, etc. all sound the same.

Flip The Switch....really? I always thought that song was hugely different than the usual stuff we were getting. The musician in me automatically puts it in a different category because Keith is for once NOT using Open G on this song. The song is in E and the riff itself is quite original and out of the ordinary for Keith.

To me it's a really bad song, with no melody to be found. Indistinguishable from any fast-paced 90's/00's number.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 24, 2011 12:50

The guitars are decent but the chorus is completely uninspired. It's like singing "Brown sugar" without the "How come you taste so good?"

For me it's the Stones trying to sound like the Stones, if that makes any sense.

Some decent jangly guitars and the lyrics are actually quite decent, but the overall impact of the song is not that hot at all.

It's ultimately a disappointment, the boys trying but not really connecting.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 25, 2011 03:44

Both Flip and Don't Stop are great tunes, up there with I Go Wild and Oh No Not You Again (when played live).

Justin you are spot on! Flip is an unique Stones tune, NOTHING like it.

Keys and Stealin' are also great, especially the production 2002 was much better than 3 years later IMHO.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 25, 2011 03:57

I usually hate when people defend a crap song by saying "the guitars sound really good", but that's what I find myself thinking whenever I hear this one. Jagger on the open G, right?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 25, 2011 04:02

Dreadful. To think it was a single as well......

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 05:02

I resisted reading this thread because I figured DON'T STOP is so post-Mick Taylor a lot of bitchy bitchiness by bitches would be set down here. And boy was I right!

As for me, I love everything about DON'T STOP. It's one of my favorite Stones tracks: Charlie's drumming; Mick's vocal; the lyrics; the licks.

P.S. at RollingStones.com's old fan club message board a member of a Stones cover band said when his band started playing DON'T STOP it was greeted with more applause and cheers than most of the other Stones songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-25 05:06 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 25, 2011 12:42

71Tele
I usually hate when people defend a crap song by saying "the guitars sound really good", but that's what I find myself thinking whenever I hear this one. Jagger on the open G, right?

Probably not -the main riff is in standard tuning, which is Jagger. Richards does the open G fills.

Not too bad this song, but Jagger's singing is pretty awful.

Mathijs

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 25, 2011 16:33

Ronnie's solo is great, especially when we get to hear it in its entirety at the end.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 25, 2011 16:43

Help!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 25, 2011 17:33

Amused

the song is simple, nothing great, will not go down in history of art, but I like it a lot x) catchy and rocking.

+1 thumbs up

The best part according to me ?

From 2:30 to 2:47 :

The best part of the lyrics IMO ?
"There's a whisper there where once there was a storm
And all that's left is that image that I'll find a way
And some memories have tattered as they've torn"

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 25, 2011 21:45

It doesn't do anyone any harm, but it's a fine pop/rock song to be played on the FM radio along the lines of Alanis Morrisette and Aerosmith.

It's pure mainstream which makes some fans thinking The Stones are sell-outs, just trying to make a quick bug. Well, that's old news isn't it? The Stones loves the stardom and the money. Always have. Their critics have always thought they where major sell-outs...

It can't be Brown Sugar or Paint It Black anymore, those days are over. Enjoy it while you can, because suddenly they are gone.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: July 25, 2011 22:25

... is when it stops

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: July 25, 2011 22:41

Tseverin
... is when it stops

Indeed, like the already mentioned Rough Justice and Flip the Switch.
So cheap for such a good band !

Richard from Holland.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 25, 2011 22:45

SwayStones
Amused

the song is simple, nothing great, will not go down in history of art, but I like it a lot x) catchy and rocking.

+1 thumbs up

Not a bad line, although a bit treacly.....which often mars too many of Jagger's latterday attempts at ballads. But so often what happens, for me, is Jagger's voice. He sounds whiny here and no matter good the lyrics are, the delivery can often make it or break a song.

Date: July 25, 2011 22:52

stupidguy2
SwayStones
Amused

+1 thumbs up

Not a bad line, although a bit treacly.....which often mars too many of Jagger's latterday attempts at ballads. But so often what happens, for me, is Jagger's voice. He sounds whiny here and no matter good the lyrics are, the delivery can often make it or break a song.

HEY, WATCH IT!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 25, 2011 22:52

SwayStones

yaaaaaaa smiling smiley

Date: July 25, 2011 23:20

phd
"Don't Stop" would be an ordinary song if played by any band. The solo is just appaling. What makes the difference to my ears are the few Keith notes just here and there with its inimitable raucous sound.

Totally agree...that's the 'stones element', where even a boring song is that much more listenable.

This is not an awful song, but just unnecessary given their back catalogue.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 25, 2011 23:22

the bets part is when, well, when it stops.

Date: July 25, 2011 23:30

guitarbastard

Not to pop your balloon, but about 8 people have beat you to that punchline!

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: July 26, 2011 06:54

Just listened to the whole studio version for the first time. I don't mind it, catchy chorus and some nice background guitar parts; Ronnie's solo is short and sweet. But I did hear bits and peices of other songs in there at times (HTW, It Must Be Hell, and something else I can't quite put my finger on).

I like it, but I'm not about to race out and buy Forty Licks. I'll have to give the live version on Four Flicks another chance.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 26, 2011 07:01

The reference for if this song is bad or good is greatly determined by if you consider yourself to be a connoisseur of the Stones.

If you are a connoisseur, then this song is like cheap wine compared to the exquisite wines that have been served up before.

Think of the total trance of Gimme Shelter for example, and compare it to this ultimately mundane song.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 26, 2011 09:54

MileHigh
The reference for if this song is bad or good is greatly determined by if you consider yourself to be a connoisseur of the Stones.

If you are a connoisseur, then this song is like cheap wine compared to the exquisite wines that have been served up before.

Think of the total trance of Gimme Shelter for example, and compare it to this ultimately mundane song.

I agree with your point but I think "Gimme Shelter" is not a good example since it makes look about 99% of their catalog, if not all the rest, mundane... I mean, it is that goddam excellent...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: July 26, 2011 10:05

I prefer the remix to the 40L version.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 26, 2011 10:07

treaclefingers
guitarbastard

Not to pop your balloon, but about 8 people have beat you to that punchline!

i thought so, but i was to lazy to go through all the posts. just checked the first few. sorry! ;-)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home