Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tattoo You...not their real "last great" album?
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 20, 2011 19:31

Not sure if this has ever been discussed in depth here but I would be interested to know everyone's feelings about Tattoo You. To many, myself included, consider Tattoo You to be their last great album. But I've also heard arguments (prominent on other boards) saying that Tattoo You cannot be considered their last great album (thereby giving that title to Some Girls) because most of Tattoo You is a composite of songs from previous album sessions...thus not a real album of new material.

To me, it's still an album. Those songs never appeared anywhere else. Sure they were recorded up to 5 years before the album came out but Tattoo You was where they were all assembled and presented to us...so I have no problem saying it was a true full album...and their last great one.

Thoughts?

Re: Tattoo You...not their real "last great" album?
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 20, 2011 19:38

Undercover!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 20, 2011 19:50

i agree...their last great lp and last great tour

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:00

Metamorphosis.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:02

For me it's Voodoo Lounge, ABB is pretty great too. I would love a stripped down and shortened version of it. Something like the Steel Wheels out-takes.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:21

Still I think ABB is a great album which is widely underrated. In twenty years it will be a classic one like Exile!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:24

You are right. Tattoo was their last great album, and their last hit single was Start Me Up. Doesn't matter that it was a cut and paste job from late 70s leftovers. It's the result that matters. Undercover though was their last attempt to renew themselves. An honest effort. But sadly, very much in vain.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:29

To me Under Cover is the last great album.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:34

Before this thread goes into a strictly "what's their last great album"...I'm wondering if people feel that Tattoo You should be treated any differently from the other albums just because it was an album filled with outtakes of previous albums....

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 20, 2011 20:35

RobertJohnson
Still I think ABB is a great album which is widely underrated. In twenty years it will be a classic one like Exile!

thumbs up

It's probably their best since EOMS.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:07

The last great album was Some Girls. Tattoo You is pretty good, but the sound isn't consistent enough. Voodoo Lounge might deserve some consideration though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-20 21:09 by nomis.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:09

Sleepy City
RobertJohnson

thumbs up

WOW, that's not really saying a whole lot. I'll take Voodoo Lounge over ABB any day. EOMS didn't have duds like Sweet Neo Con, Streets of Love or such great lyrics like 'the moon is yellow, but I'm not jello".

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:18

Happy Jack
Sleepy City
RobertJohnson

thumbs up

WOW, that's not really saying a whole lot. I'll take Voodoo Lounge over ABB any day. EOMS didn't have duds like Sweet Neo Con, Streets of Love or such great lyrics like 'the moon is yellow, but I'm not jello".

Sorry, I meant Bridges To Babylon (though I like most of ABB too).

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:22

their really last great Album was " A bigger bang"!!!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:26

The 'Last Great' album was Let it bleed! Great Stones albums tends to be on Decca label...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:28

Come On
The 'Last Great' album was Let it bleed! Great Stones albums tends to be on Decca label...

Fully agree with you. Just missing is a lack of Keith creativity.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:39

I think Tattoo You was the last great album, but they had their moments in the '90s. if the Stones could pull off a Voodoo Lounge/Stripped/Bridges run again, I would.. Well I don't know what I'd do. I'd assume I was asleep, dreaming.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 20, 2011 21:44

RobertJohnson

yeah, and elvis will be found alive dancing on the picadilly circus....

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 20, 2011 22:19

Justin
Before this thread goes into a strictly "what's their last great album"...I'm wondering if people feel that Tattoo You should be treated any differently from the other albums just because it was an album filled with outtakes of previous albums....

Exile also included lots of outtakes, or better: unused song ideas, from previous albums, too.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 20, 2011 23:34

..the people have spoken. Some Girls sales speak for themselves.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 20, 2011 23:43

Yes, TY was the last "great" Stones album by the standards they had set to that time. It doesn't matter that some of the tracks were recycled older ones. Someone pointed out that it was not the first time they had done that, so who cares - it's a "legitimate" album. And hey Woodites and Taylorites, we got both guitarists on that album! And hits! Something for everyone.

Posted by: engerling23 ()
Date: July 20, 2011 23:50

I would say WANDERING SPIRIT.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 20, 2011 23:52

Justin

I feel it should be treated differently. It was the last Stones album to be a truly Stones album in the traditional sense, the sound, the recording etc...
But this was mainly Jagger in the South of France, in his Chateau, dubbing vocals over recorded tracks. It's not of its time in the sense of the band recording an album for a specific period of time.
I'd say "Some Girls" is the The Last Great Stones Album because of its definitve time period.

Date: July 20, 2011 23:53

engerling23

Yeah, that's as close to a great Stones album as we've gotten since TY.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 20, 2011 23:54

ABB was the last great album.

Date: July 20, 2011 23:57

Rip This
..the people have spoken. Some Girls sales speak for themselves.

And "Miss You" was the last #1.
Some Girls was the last album that had a cultural impact, and not just a rock and roll impact. By 81, the Stones were considered old, not cutting edge..SMU was a standard rocker....and people in my high school were into other things.
Wherease, SG rocked the world.

Date: July 21, 2011 00:19

engerling23

their real "last great" album?

Date: July 21, 2011 01:02

DandelionPowderman
engerling23

their real "last great" album?

I'd put WS way before anything post-Undercover, Stones or Solo.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 21, 2011 01:25

Sir Michael himself mentioned once in an interview what he thinks makes a good album. A hit and two or three songs that can be played live, I remember him saying. Well Tattoo was the last album with a clear cut hit but, honestly, the rest of the songs on that album are often ignored in the live sets.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 21, 2011 01:57

Interesting, such a overwhelming consensus on the big 4, and everything else is all over the place.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home