Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Please Quit Dissin' Daryl
Posted by: alfadriver85 ()
Date: December 20, 2015 08:09

Posts like this (from another forum topic) are maddening. "The bass used to be an important instrument in the Stones. Now it's just a mediocre background thud with no emotional notes at all. I know Bill isn't coming back. He's made that clear. But the Stones seem ear deaf to replacing him with a Stones level replacement, instead of a hired gun noodler. Gee, maybe Keith can interact more with Darryl, but how cares? Bill was his equal and didn't need to."

Daryl Jones is no noodler. He's a well respected player. If Miles Davis thru Sting (even if he's lame) and no less than the Stones themselves think he's the one then he is. You do NOT get to play with such illustrious and respected musicians by being average. He's no Entwistle or Jaco but Daryl Jones can run circles around 97% of touring bass players.

Re: Please Quit Dissin' Daryl
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 20, 2015 08:31

While I personally like Mr. Jones on bass, they are just opinions. We like him, others don't. At the end of the day, he still has the gig regardless of what fans on a message board think.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2015 08:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 20, 2015 10:53

People are allowed opinions, and with a band such as the Stones who have been a part of people's lives for years, a big part, obviously the opinions will be strong.

Equally I could start a topic about people should stop dissin' Bill, as a fantastic bass player. But I don't because I can accept that people are entitled to different opinions.

I think Darryl does a good job, and he has the gig. But his playing doesn't excite me and his playing didn't inspire me to learn bass. That's no diss to Darryl that's just the way it is for me.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 20, 2015 16:33

It was Bill's choice to leave & if you believe interviews with Keith, etc., Bill had plenty of opportunities to return. The other thing is Daryl was basically Charlie's choice for bass. I would think keeping Charlie happy & engaged is pretty important. It's not like they are putting out new music. You could've easily had Don Was in that position, which would be Chuck L part 2. I think Joey Spaminato would've been good but you definitely don't want someone too "busy" playing. Daryl is fine.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 20, 2015 16:40

Rollin92
People are allowed opinions, and with a band such as the Stones who have been a part of people's lives for years, a big part, obviously the opinions will be strong.

Equally I could start a topic about people should stop dissin' Bill, as a fantastic bass player. But I don't because I can accept that people are entitled to different opinions.

I think Darryl does a good job, and he has the gig. But his playing doesn't excite me and his playing didn't inspire me to learn bass. That's no diss to Darryl that's just the way it is for me.

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 20, 2015 17:13

i think you'd have more credibility in your argument if in the same post that you lament about criticism of Daryl, you didn't diss another artist.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 20, 2015 17:23

after its all said and done Daryl might wind up being in the band longer than bill

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 20, 2015 17:51

treaclefingers
i think you'd have more credibility in your argument if in the same post that you lament about criticism of Daryl, you didn't diss another artist.

He sounds like a typical Duran(x2) fan...they were always pissed about the greatness of The Police...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 20, 2015 18:07

Love Daryl. If Bill took over for Daryl. People would rip on him. You can't win. "Look at the stiff onsatge", "Too boomy". "Doesn't fit the Stones. and on and on and on. Like I said you can't win.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2015 18:34

From what I gather, Daryl gets off quite easy when it comes to dissin'.
There's bigger dissin' going on 'round here:
Chuck takes the brunt of it and always will - overplaying, setlist manager, etc.
Ronnie still gets his fair share of it as the 'clown', the'new guy', etc.
Mick is getting more of it as the years go by - bad vocals, solo/Superheavy, etc.
Keith gets some of it here and there - screws up riffs on stage, being opinionated, etc.
Charlie is the only one who gets off free and for good reason - dresses nice, a gentleman, and solid drummer.
Lisa, while praised by some, was annihilated by others - see Gimme Shelter. Now she's gone.

Daryl should rest easy as he's the least of the problems fans have been dealing with.
Bill is missed and always will be, but Daryl is adequate and Charlie likes him.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 20, 2015 18:39

When did Sting become an artist?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 20, 2015 18:52

alfadriver85
Daryl Jones is no noodler.

I think the dissing starts with writing his name wrong.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2015 22:07

Hairball
From what I gather, Daryl gets off quite easy when it comes to dissin'.
There's bigger dissin' going on 'round here:
Chuck takes the brunt of it and always will - overplaying, setlist manager, etc.

You left out PLINK PLINK PLINKLY PLINK PLINK PLONK PLINK

Hairball
Ronnie still gets his fair share of it as the 'clown', the'new guy', etc.

Yeah. Poor Ronnie. He's their biggest fan and he gets shit on. He has earned it though. But he's also earned not being shit on.

Hairball
Mick is getting more of it as the years go by - bad vocals, solo/Superheavy, etc.

Bad decisions... especially with SuperHeavy but also with what made up most of the SOME GIRLS bonus disc. Just pedestrian shit, a lot of that one, like When You're Gone, Don't Be a Stranger, Keep Up Blues and even I Love You Too Much. The country ones were good and Tallahassee Lassie but the rest of it was crap - yet alone getting the time line screwed up and putting tracks that were recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE on it instead of some stellar leftover tracks that they still ignored for that bonus disc.

Hairball
Keith gets some of it here and there - screws up riffs on stage, being opinionated, etc.

He earned it. Especially on the BANG tour - pre and post head clanger. He was playing awful bad. But he came around. He's such a goof anyway how could anyone stay mad at him?

Hairball
Charlie is the only one who gets off free and for good reason - dresses nice, a gentleman, and solid drummer.

His screwups are brilliant - when he screws up. He's the only band member that takes zero shit.

Hairball
Lisa, while praised by some, was annihilated by others - see Gimme Shelter. Now she's gone.

Maybe. She could come back. If not, oh well, life goes on.

Hairball
Daryl should rest easy as he's the least of the problems fans have been dealing with. Bill is missed and always will be, but Daryl is adequate and Charlie likes him.

It might be easy to say "Well the Stones haven't written any songs suitable for Bill". That may be true. We'll never know. But it does seem that his leaving was a stepping point for the band. Not necessarily a good or bad stepping point or a better or worse stepping point. It just changed. It definitely lost its swagger.

I like Darryl. I liked Bill. If I didn't like Darryl enough I wouldn't bother. It's not the end of the world. For some people, to toss off about having to ask if Wyman's playing was so "outstanding,important and unique" and then admit they never listened to his playing; it's that mentality that doesn't understand music.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 20, 2015 22:18

Turner68

Do I have to look up everything for you? Yeeeeeesh
March 4th 1984...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 20, 2015 22:25

Munichhilton
treaclefingers

He sounds like a typical Duran(x2) fan...they were always pissed about the greatness of The Police...

i always thought Hungry Like The Wolf sounded a little policish.

Date: December 20, 2015 22:25

Munichhilton
Turner68

Do I have to look up everything for you? Yeeeeeesh
March 4th 1984...

grinning smiley

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: December 20, 2015 22:36

i hear frequent references that Jones is a "jazz" artist and played with "Miles Davis" etc… These are code references to say that "he is black so he can't play rock and roll", which is nonsense. He can play rock and roll better than anyone in the business. He has been with the Stones for 22 years and they love him. When I interviewed Keith, he said that Darryl is his right or left hand man, that he is a "deep" man, and that he regards him as a big brother, even though Keith is older than him… Ronnie told me that they don't miss Bill in the Stones as much as they missed Ronnie Lane in the faces, because Darryl came in and took it to another level of playing. Keith also called Darryl "the third weaver"… Charlie said there are many good players but only a few great players, and Darryl is one of them. He also said it's equally important to get along with the person, and that everybody like Darryl and he fits into the band very well… Remember it was Bill's choice to leave after his personal problems. Darryl always speaks very highly of Bill and respects him for his work… Some have called Darryl "too funky", another racial code word. Let'Keep racism out of this discussion...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 20, 2015 22:51

Thing is the bass just doesn't stand out live these days as it did on say, Let's Spend The Night Together (the movie). Different times though so it might well be the same with Bill, actually it was on the SW tour, so... The only time I can remember the bass sounding "interesting" recently was in the PPV mix on 12/15/2012 so it CAN be done!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 20, 2015 22:52

Daryl who?

btw. Bob Dylan on that case: "Without him (Bill Wyman) they're a funk band. They'll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back."(see: [www.nme.com])

Date: December 20, 2015 23:22

roundnround
i hear frequent references that Jones is a "jazz" artist and played with "Miles Davis" etc… These are code references to say that "he is black so he can't play rock and roll", which is nonsense. He can play rock and roll better than anyone in the business. He has been with the Stones for 22 years and they love him. When I interviewed Keith, he said that Darryl is his right or left hand man, that he is a "deep" man, and that he regards him as a big brother, even though Keith is older than him… Ronnie told me that they don't miss Bill in the Stones as much as they missed Ronnie Lane in the faces, because Darryl came in and took it to another level of playing. Keith also called Darryl "the third weaver"… Charlie said there are many good players but only a few great players, and Darryl is one of them. He also said it's equally important to get along with the person, and that everybody like Darryl and he fits into the band very well… Remember it was Bill's choice to leave after his personal problems. Darryl always speaks very highly of Bill and respects him for his work… Some have called Darryl "too funky", another racial code word. Let'Keep racism out of this discussion...

Did Ronnie, Keith or Charlie say anything nice about Bill when you interviewed them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-20 23:22 by Rollin92.

Date: December 20, 2015 23:42

Rollin92
roundnround

Did Ronnie, Keith or Charlie say anything nice about Bill when you interviewed them?

Yes, there were a few nice comments but the interview was primarily abut Darryl… Lisa Fischer compared Darryl to a glistening hot pile of pancakes with maple syrup on it… "a promise of sweetness"...

Date: December 20, 2015 23:44

roundnround
Rollin92
roundnround

Yes, there were a few nice comments but the interview was primarily abut Darryl… Lisa Fischer compared Darryl to a glistening hot pile of pancakes with maple syrup on it… "a promise of sweetness"...

That's nice to hear that there were a few nice comments. Keith has often said in recent years that he liked Bill's bass playing.

Date: December 21, 2015 00:17

Thanks roundnround for sharing

Date: December 21, 2015 00:44

Lisa also compared Keith to the "Cookie Monster"...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 21, 2015 00:47

roundnround
Lisa also compared Keith to the "Cookie Monster"...

That's funny...as in he loves to eat sweets or is it a different connotation?

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: December 21, 2015 00:48

slewan
Daryl who?

btw. Bob Dylan on that case: "Without him (Bill Wyman) they're a funk band. They'll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back."(see: [www.nme.com])

I have seen Bob quoted about this so many times, but nobody ever includes his following statement where he says he was joking. Selective memory is so funny.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 21, 2015 01:09

I like Daryl. At least he doesn't have interests in 13 year old girls.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: December 21, 2015 01:26

shadooby

thumbs up

He also brought a new fresh sound to the band. Darryl is one of the reasons the VL and BTB-tour were better and more fun than the sterile Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle comeback.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 21, 2015 01:43

EasterMan
shadooby

thumbs up

He also brought a new fresh sound to the band. Darryl is one of the reasons the VL and BTB-tour were better and more fun than the sterile Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle comeback.

When you can hear him. Something about Bills attack with the pick that is missing from Darryl's softer approach. It was a big part of their early sound.

In any case, no sense complaining about Darryl at this point, he's here to stay and will play with them until the end.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home