Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Grammy 2016 - Sticky Fingers reissue nominated
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 7, 2015 16:36

65. BEST BOXED OR SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE

Sticky Fingers (Super Deluxe Edition)
Stephen Kennedy & James Tilley, art directors (The Rolling Stones)
Label: Universal Music Enterprises, A Division Of UM

Full list here: [www.grammy.com]

Re: Grammy 2016 - Sticky Fingers reissue nominated
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 7, 2015 17:08

I guess they are quite nervous about this.
Best boxed or special limited Edition package... Next to Album of the Year, this is The One.

+ Mick is nominated for his James Brown documentary.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 7, 2015 17:20

Nice!

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: December 7, 2015 18:33

probably win on name recognition

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 7, 2015 20:08

Pretty damn cool!

83. Best Music Film
Mr. Dynamite: The Rise Of James Brown (James Brown)

Alex Gibney, video director; Peter Afterman, Blair Foster, Mick Jagger & Victoria Pearman, video producers

P.S. - Poor ol' Keef.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 7, 2015 20:26

Hope it wins - for the most part I enjoyed that film!

edit: might be some tough competition here, but still has my vote:

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways
Nina Simone - What Happened, Ms Simone?
Roger Waters - The Wall
Amy Winehouse - Amy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-07 20:31 by Hairball.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: December 7, 2015 20:52

DeanGoodman
Pretty damn cool!

83. Best Music Film

Alex Gibney, video director; Peter Afterman, Blair Foster, Mick Jagger & Victoria Pearman, video producers

P.S. - Poor ol' Keef.

Not poor ol' Keef. His album would have to be in next years nominations if I remember correctly. The cutoff is October.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 7, 2015 21:38

nonfilter
DeanGoodman
Pretty damn cool!

83. Best Music Film

P.S. - Poor ol' Keef.

Not poor ol' Keef. His album would have to be in next years nominations if I remember correctly. The cutoff is October.

[www.non-filters.com]

Keith's album was released on September 18, just in time for a Grammy nomination (cutline is Sep. 30) it was not nominated.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 7, 2015 21:53

Cristiano Radtke

since Bob Dylan's Cutting Edge will count for 2016 and is going to be a predictable winner the Stones might win this year

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 7, 2015 22:00

What's the worth of a Grammy when they throw out hundreds of them every year? Seems like everyone gets one in the end. To me the Grammy looks more like a commercial vehicle for the record business.
And why should Keith get one? Don't you need a hit record or single for that?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 7, 2015 23:25

Stoneage
What's the worth of a Grammy when they throw out hundreds of them every year? Seems like everyone gets one in the end. To me the Grammy looks more like a commercial vehicle for the record business.
And why should Keith get one? Don't you need a hit record or single for that?

There are 83 categories, and god knows how many tens of thousands of album and singles in all genres are released each year. Chances of winning are still pretty slim. And plenty of people die or acts break up without winning. I don't think Keith was worthy of a Grammy, either for artistic or commercial reasons.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 8, 2015 00:47

slewan
Cristiano Radtke

since Bob Dylan's Cutting Edge will count for 2016 and is going to be a predictable winner the Stones might win this year

Seemingly that Grammy is mostly given to art directors (a bit like back in the day when the best cover was chosen - TATTOO YOU once at least was nominated for that, right?), so probably CUTTING EDGE might have a chance there. But I think still the best category for it is "Best Historical Album" - referring mostly to the music itself and of its value - and in which Dylan is nominated this year with THE BASEMENT TAPES stuff. Seemingly STICKY FINGERS didn't make that category, no matter how cool the extra stuff was....

- Doxa

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 8, 2015 04:03

How I wish ABKCO / Polydor would just release something from the archives similar to The Cutting Edge.

How about 'Olympic Gold', a chronological boxed set, focusing on sessions from 1968-1971?

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: December 8, 2015 05:11

Hairball

Roger Waters - The Wall
Amy Winehouse - Amy

loved the JB doc, but my bets are on "Amy"- which happens to be the only other one out of this list I've seen, but the fact that everyone I know has also seen it and was also moved by it is probably a pretty good indicator.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 8, 2015 05:30

I guess the award will not be about sound quality...

BTW according to SuperDeluxeEdition the box is selling at a nice price on amazon.it : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2015 05:37

alieb
Hairball

Roger Waters - The Wall
Amy Winehouse - Amy

loved the JB doc, but my bets are on "Amy"- which happens to be the only other one out of this list I've seen, but the fact that everyone I know has also seen it and was also moved by it is probably a pretty good indicator.

The only other one I've seen is The Wall, but Roger Waters politics might hamper his chances imo.
The Foo Fighters probably have a good chance with their user friendly/generic rock, and aren't they liked by just about everybody in the business?.
I haven't seen Amy yet, but I take your word for it.
Haven't seen Nina.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 8, 2015 15:28

65. BEST BOXED OR SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION PACKAGE??????

What's next - BEST SAMPLED AUTO-TUNED SAMPLE?

What a load of crap. They just inventin' anything now to fling trophies.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 8, 2015 18:18

Blueranger
How I wish ABKCO / Polydor would just release something from the archives similar to The Cutting Edge.

How about 'Olympic Gold', a chronological boxed set, focusing on sessions from 1968-1971?

Only after they've dealt with 1962 to 1967 !
I am seriously beginning to doubt ABKCO will ever get anything like this together and I cannot understand why unless they really have sod all in the way of studio multi tracks and alternate takes or if Mick and co are dead against it.
If Cutting Edge doesn't win next year it will be a disgrace. Dylan's not my favourite artist but Cutting Edge has a shout as the finest archival package in the history of rock. It is brilliant and a bold move by Dylan and his team.
In terms of this year, I think the lack of studio out takes on the Sticky Fingers set is a big negative. The live material should have been it's own set and IIRC there wasn't much in the way of recording data/decent sleeve notes for the studio album and less than skimpy alternates. Don't have mine to hand but I was quite disappointed with it because of those factors.
Dylan's Basement set should be a winner this year. There's nothing left from the 60s as highly regarded and unreleased as that material and The Smile Sessions.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 8, 2015 20:31

The Stones were never even nominated for a grammy until 1982. Any award they receive now is just a rather meaningless attempt at an apology for having completely ignored their best work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-09 02:06 by tatters.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2015 21:22

Actually SOME GIRLS was nominated for Album of the Year in 1979. The only major nomination they've received. VOODOO LOUNGE won for Best Rock Album in 1995 and BRIDGES TO BABYLON & A BIGGER BANG were subsequently nominated for the same. "Love is Strong" received a Grammy for Best Music Video in 1995 as well. Virgin did well by them in that respect. Yetnikoff and CBS were the first to play (or pay) the Grammy game for the band starting with a nomination for Mick's "Just Another Night" in 1986 the same night they received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Additional nominations followed for "Harlem Shuffle," "Mixed Emotions," and "Almost Hear You Sigh." The last one receiving its nomination in 1991 thanks to eligibility rules for follow-up singles vs. first appearance on an album. I think "Doom and Gloom" was nominated a couple years ago, but I might be mistaken.

The best thing the Grammys have done is the Grammy Hall of Fame enshrinements recognizing historic recordings (singles and albums) on a non-competitive basis. "Satisaction" and I think the Big Four (1968 - 1972) are all in there.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 8, 2015 22:26

alieb
Hairball

Roger Waters - The Wall
Amy Winehouse - Amy

The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson is very good. A film about death....and living with a terminal illness. But life affirming in its own way. Director: Julien Temple.

I wonder if Under The Influence will receive any nominations or awards any time.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 19, 2015 01:31

Sticky Fingers is best reissue of the year for Uncut : [www.uncut.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home