Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Expectations 1973
Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: July 16, 2011 11:31

Never heard this before or knew they played in 73

[url=

]

Re: No Expectations 1973
Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 16, 2011 12:20

yes,only one time!

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 16, 2011 19:02

I wish the Earthquake concert was released as a soundboard. Some say they sound awful, but I love this version of No Expectations.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: July 16, 2011 19:37

They did an interesting version of It's All Over Now too...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 16, 2011 21:03

I was there. I snuck in and sat behind Taylor, more or less. A nice relaxed show with a big finish.

Date: July 17, 2011 02:49

Sleepy City, I have an audience recording but mine does not sound as good as this... any chance I can get a better audience copy of this show? Wish there was a board... maybe after they retire they'll start selling FLACs of old shows.

Date: July 17, 2011 15:17

bigmac7895
Sleepy City, I have an audience recording but mine does not sound as good as this... any chance I can get a better audience copy of this show? Wish there was a board... maybe after they retire they'll start selling FLACs of old shows.

Sorry, I can't help (it wasn't me who uploaded it to YouTube). I only very occasionally collect post-Brian live audios & outtakes collections.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 17, 2011 15:38

"I have an audience recording but mine does not sound as good as this..."

does your tape include the encore "Midnight Rambler" by chance???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-17 17:02 by dcba.

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: July 17, 2011 16:50

Best Live version of this song

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 17, 2011 17:09

Nicaraguan Earthquake Victims benefit concert was one of the first boot I bought back then, not a great sound but I remember the excitement I had when I heard "I'ts all over now"

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: July 18, 2011 14:25

in my top 3 boots , definately !
all songs are slightly different since the end of the american tour . i love it , despite the sound quality.

Date: July 18, 2011 14:45

dcba
"I have an audience recording but mine does not sound as good as this..."

does your tape include the encore "Midnight Rambler" by chance???

DCBA,

I will dig it out later today and play it. Mine has the record album pops throughout it. Would love a cleaned up, louder version where I can hear all the instruments in the mix.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: July 18, 2011 16:08

"Maybe when they retitre"?

They are retired! I doubt, given MJ's distaste for nostalgia, that they will release shows like this. It would take a lot of work to bring this show up to a saleable product and in economic sense, I doubt that shows like this would turn a profit ad we all know that right now, the Stones are all about money.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: July 18, 2011 17:56

I remember reading somewhere -probably on this board- that this show was professionally filmed and exists in the Stones archives. Anybody else remember this? or have any more news about it?

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: July 18, 2011 22:00

thomas guitar

This is a very pretty version....but personally I like the Rock and Roll Circus live performance a little better, a bit more soulful, ( IMHO only.)

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 01:59

matsumoto33
I remember reading somewhere -probably on this board- that this show was professionally filmed and exists in the Stones archives. Anybody else remember this? or have any more news about it?

I've seen brief clips from this show included in some Stones youtube videos. I'll try and find them.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 19, 2011 06:27

thomas guitar

Mt's slide guitar is gorgeous. I had this first on a cassette boot, and then a cd...and they both sound like shit, not the performance, but the audio quality.
Its a shame because they also did a great version of YCAGWYW

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 19, 2011 06:35

Sleepy City

My favorite pre-'68 Stones song, I always thought this version was more appropriate for Rod Stewart. I don't like this intro...but that's just me.

Date: July 19, 2011 12:31

BluzDude
Sleepy City

My favorite pre-'68 Stones song, I always thought this version was more appropriate for Rod Stewart. I don't like this intro...but that's just me.

Maybe they didn't like it either, as they used a different arrangement 3 days later:

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 19, 2011 13:16

The hawaiian version is far superior,like a soul train.

Date: July 19, 2011 13:19

MadMax
The hawaiian version is far superior,like a soul train.

Yes, this version is my 2nd favourite ever (favourite is the 1967 Sunday Night At The London Palladium version, though shame we don't have a better recording).

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 19, 2011 15:14

Man, this version of No Expectations sounds better than I remembered. It's wonderful, and it's still just a one off performance. This could have taken on glorious proportions had they played it every night on a tour at that time. The actual song (composition) is so beautiful.

I have the Nicaragua concert on a boot called All Meat Music (I think), which also omits Midnight Rambler, and it doesn't sound as good as this. I'm gonna ask the uploader at Youtube about it.
Edit: It's obviously from a boot called Definately [sic] Vintage, if the images in the video are correctly chosen. Maybe it's available at some torrent site.

Edit again:
Here it is! Duh!
Definately Vintage at IORR / Mega Upload

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-07-19 15:31 by LieB.

Date: July 19, 2011 18:20

Keith's moody intro sets the tone for the sense of loss. Looking back on it that tone is appropriate. It's the beginning of the end.

If you have not heard Taylor's take on No Expectations, look it up. It is a very valid rhythmic re-working of this great song. And as you would expect, you get that nice, beautiful and sometimes inspired solo.

As far as I know there is only one source for this show and the MR encore has never surfaced. I do not think it is a bad recording and I am grateful for it. Some parts (like No Ex) are quite nice. But like a number of '73 recordings you wish they were just a bit better.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 19, 2011 21:48

...sometimes they just take your breath away...this is one of them.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: July 19, 2011 22:13

Seems to me Taylor is being reticent on NE because the tune was Brian's last -- an among greatest -- showcases. Just my $.02

Paul, I will have to run down the later MT arrangement. Sounds innaresting (guess what book I just read?)

Date: July 19, 2011 23:09

Zack
Seems to me Taylor is being reticent on NE because the tune was Brian's last -- an among greatest -- showcases. Just my $.02

He wasn't when they played it just a few days after Brian's death:

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 20, 2011 02:10

I've never seen or heard those three Hyde Park performances before -- thanks for posting!

It's easy to see why they were edited out of the film, though. Awfully out of tune at times and a couple of hickups. But they have their moments. Again, No Expectations shows lots of potential (although Love In Vain may have more depth as a live song, after all) and you can see why Stray Cat Blues was retained and developed further during '69. The arrangement they have here really worked better at the slower "Ya-Ya's" tempo.

Posted by: Swedgen72 ()
Date: July 20, 2011 10:07

Cafaro
"Maybe when they retitre"?

They are retired! I doubt, given MJ's distaste for nostalgia, that they will release shows like this. It would take a lot of work to bring this show up to a saleable product and in economic sense, I doubt that shows like this would turn a profit ad we all know that right now, the Stones are all about money.

I think to be fair to Jagger the stuff that Klein owned (or still owns?) has a big factor in it. Can't blame him, especiall if by releasing unseen material they have to pay the thief.

Does anyone know if Klein still owns everything pre-1970?

Date: July 20, 2011 19:51

Here is the latest performance I could find. It has changed a bit over the years. A short solo, but Taylor is now rocking up the performance on rhythm.

Zack: ???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home