Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alt-country
Posted by: mulecrowe ()
Date: November 20, 2015 23:51

At one time,I was a
huge fan of the alt
-country movement of
the 90s.Early Wilco,
Bottlerockets,Jayhawks
and so on.
Never seemed to catch
on.
Any thoughts?

Re: Alt-country
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 21, 2015 01:16

Hell yeah mulecrowe, I was in the middle of all of that! Know members of all those bands you mention. Loved it all, kind of reminded me somewhat of the Exile period of the Stones. I think it is still around somewhat but has just morphed in the Americana genre. Wilco still plays a a lot of those early tunes, Jay Farrar still plays in that style with Son Volt and others, Bottle Rockets are still pumping it out, Jayhawks too.

I think it caught on pretty strong for a certain group of music lovers, never has died down as far as I'm concerned. Bands like Wilco have shown that the appeal is still strong all though it could be argued they have moved away from a true alt. country definition. No depression man!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 21, 2015 01:29

An L.A. band from the mid '80's:

Lone Justice

"Their early recordings can be described as a fusion of country and punk rock, with rockabilly elements".

Date: November 21, 2015 01:57

Ya,after AM Wilco definitely went
down a different path for
awhile. They seem to be leaning
back that way now.
The Bottlerockets were playing
fairly close to me about a
month ago.
Shoulda gone

Date: November 21, 2015 02:28

That's cool as hell Naturalust!
We used to have a camp back in the 90s,
and every weekend that shit would be
cranking in front of a roaring fire!
Many a great air-guitar concerts back
then!

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: November 21, 2015 03:06

Love the genre! Nipple hardener in fact. MEZ

Date: November 21, 2015 03:12

The Mez
Love the genre! Nipple hardener in fact. MEZ[
Oh yeah!

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: November 21, 2015 03:50

Botrox on a Sunday night - this will rock, well, dad rock

Date: November 21, 2015 04:02

roryg
Botrox on a Sunday night - this will rock, well, dad rock
Uh-huh!

Date: November 21, 2015 04:12

mulecrowe
then!

I think the whole alt. country thing probably started with Uncle Tupelo, certainly a midwest phenomenon. It's funny that Jeff Tweedy was more of a punk guy initially but when the song writing started happening his punk (and Jay's) just kind of came out as alt. country. I recall many club shows back then in Champaign, Ill and Columbia, MO and other midwest college towns that would just be packed, probably more to do with the fact there wasn't much else to do on a Sat. night. I've go stories up the yazoo about those days, some really good memories. We've all gotten old, had kids and it's just a different world these days.

I've said it several times here on iorr but when Wilco parted ways with Jay Bennett, it was the end of their best period, imo, and when the world lost him a short time later, it was truly sad and tragic...tore me up. I still can't listen to some of that stuff without breaking down.

Here's one that just grows on you with a bit of that Exile vibe, love that AM record!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 21, 2015 05:18

Naturalust
mulecrowe
then!

I think the whole alt. country thing probably started with Uncle Tupelo, certainly a midwest phenomenon. It's funny that Jeff Tweedy was more of a punk guy initially but when the song writing started happening his punk (and Jay's) just kind of came out as alt. country. I recall many club shows back then in Champaign, Ill and Columbia, MO and other midwest college towns that would just be packed, probably more to do with the fact there wasn't much else to do on a Sat. night. I've go stories up the yazoo about those days, some really good memories. We've all gotten old, had kids and it's just a different world these days.

I've said it several times here on iorr but when Wilco parted ways with Jay Bennett, it was the end of their best period, imo, and when the world lost him a short time later, it was truly sad and tragic...tore me up. I still can't listen to some of that stuff without breaking down.

Here's one that just grows on you with a bit of that Exile vibe, love that AM record!

[www.youtube.com]

[
Excellent tune!
Absolutely worth checking out,is
Son Volts Austin City Limits dvd

Date: November 21, 2015 06:01

All this shit is bringing
back all kinds of memories.
I was totally engrossed with
this music back in the day.
The Louris/Olson reunion didn't
turn out that well

Date: November 21, 2015 06:22

mulecrowe
turn out that well

Let me guess, one of them got sober and the other didn't? Lots of partying going on in the early days...even beyond actually. Nothing that good lasts forever. lol

Date: November 21, 2015 06:49

Naturalust
mulecrowe
turn out that well

Let me guess, one of them got sober and the other didn't? Lots of partying going on in the early days...even beyond actually. Nothing that good lasts forever. lol[
You are correct sir!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 21, 2015 09:17

Drive-by Truckers have some stuff that leans that way though in general I guess they are more southern rock. Include Jason Isobell with that.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: November 21, 2015 11:11

Love Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt and these bands. Check out also The Lilybandits, Dashboard Saviours and The Honeydogs.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: November 21, 2015 13:25

and The Deadstring Brothers :

[www.youtube.com]

resotele

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 13:27 by resotele.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 21, 2015 15:34

I think altcountry goes back even further with bands like CSNY, Poco, Flying Burrito Brothers, and maybe even the Eagles.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 21, 2015 15:55

Koen
I think altcountry goes back even further with bands like CSNY, Poco, Flying Burrito Brothers, and maybe even the Eagles.

Definitely early Eagles.

Date: November 21, 2015 17:13

[youtu.be]
Another good one from a supergroup of
sorts from that genre.

Date: November 21, 2015 17:50

Koen

Seems to me alt. country is a bit different than those bands for some reason. Can't really put my finger on it really, maybe less polish and some of the punk element or something. Alt. country may have just had a wider set of influences that didn't include pop or traditional sensibilities.

Yes some of the music ends up sounding similar, but The Eagles are not alt. country, that I'm pretty sure of. I'm trying to think of an alt. country litmus test and maybe one of them is they would never play songs by The Eagles. lol

Date: November 21, 2015 18:52

It's funny that you mention that Naturalust. I was just reading this
morning that Golden Smogs first two
gigs were an all Eagles show and an
Stones show.
I definitely tend to agree with your
analysis. Much more of that gritty
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
kinda sound.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 21, 2015 19:17

Hairball
An L.A. band from the mid '80's:

Lone Justice

"Their early recordings can be described as a fusion of country and punk rock, with rockabilly elements".

I had tickets to see them once, got cancelled for some unreported reason...then I turn on SNL the night the show was supposed to be and their on there!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 21, 2015 19:18

mulecrowe
At one time,I was a
huge fan of the alt
-country movement of
the 90s.Early Wilco,
Bottlerockets,Jayhawks
and so on.
Never seemed to catch
on.
Any thoughts?

It's alive and well on Outlaw Country Sirius XM Channel 60!

Date: November 21, 2015 19:52

kovach
mulecrowe
At one time,I was a
huge fan of the alt
-country movement of
the 90s.Early Wilco,
Bottlerockets,Jayhawks
and so on.
Never seemed to catch
on.
Any thoughts?

It's alive and well on Outlaw Country Sirius XM Channel 60!

Outlaw Country plays alt. country bands? I would have thought that more of a Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr, Johnny Cash, Steve Earl kind of thing. I guess they probably just kind of merged alt country bands in with those traditional guys but in my opinion that's a bit of a mockery of the genre. Different things all together. I like some Outlaw Country but If I was wanting to listen to alt country and had a bunch of trad. Outlaw Country come on I think I would be disappointed. Do they play some Stones on there too?

Date: November 21, 2015 22:34

Koen

And before them The Byrds.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 21, 2015 22:45

DandelionPowderman
Koen

And before them The Byrds.

Love sweetheart of the radio.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: November 21, 2015 23:17

I think alt country is a term that is post 1980 when mainstream country went more pop. At first it was the New Traditionalists of which Steve Earle was a member. Copperhead Road strikes me as an alt country record. Earle also produced the initial sessions for Lucinda Williams's Car Wheels On A Gravel Road - the greatest alt country record of all time IMHO. Early Wilco is pretty definitive alt country and I would say Ryan Adams is alt country.

Date: November 22, 2015 00:54

As someone who was in the middle of that movement I can assure you that it started with bands like Uncle Tupelo around 1990 and doesn't include bands like The Byrds, The Eagles and other country rock outfits, which were clearly an influence. It's like the difference between Chuck Berry and some Stones music. Similar and influenced by, but it's own thing in the end, more diverse influences and amalgamation of styles imo.

Since it is loosely defined and includes similarities to other music it may not be as clear to some. Probably one of the reasons the genre has been somewhat assimilated into the Americana family. But I assure you when it was in it's infancy it was something new and exciting and defined a movement of it's own. As I said it was kind of a midwest American thing, regional, just like grunge was for Seattle when it could be argued that form was just a return to harder 70's rock sensibilities. Grunge was it's own thing too, imo, with broader influences that included punk for instance.

Date: November 22, 2015 01:10

Naturalust
As someone who was in the middle of that movement I can assure you that it started with bands like Uncle Tupelo around 1990 and doesn't include bands like The Byrds, The Eagles and other country rock outfits, which were clearly an influence. It's like the difference between Chuck Berry and some Stones music. Similar and influenced by, but it's own thing in the end, more diverse influences and amalgamation of styles imo.

Since it is loosely defined and includes similarities to other music it may not be as clear to some. Probably one of the reasons the genre has been somewhat assimilated into the Americana family. But I assure you when it was in it's infancy it was something new and exciting and defined a movement of it's own. As I said it was kind of a midwest American thing, regional, just like grunge was for Seattle when it could be argued that form was just a return to harder 70's rock sensibilities. Grunge was it's own thing too, imo, with broader influences that included punk for instance.

Attempts to combine punk and country had been pioneered by Nashville's Jason and the Scorchers, and in the 1980s Southern Californian cowpunk scene with bands like the Long Ryders,[2] but these styles merged fully in Uncle Tupelo's 1990 LP No Depression, which is widely credited as being the first "alt-country" album, and gave its name to the online notice board and eventually magazine that underpinned the movement.[3][10] They released three more influential albums, signing to a major label, before they broke up in 1994, with members and figures associated with them going on to form three major bands in the genre: Wilco, Son Volt and Bottle Rockets.[3] Bottle Rockets signed, along with acts like Freakwater, the Old 97's and Robbie Fulks, to the Chicago-based indie label, Bloodshot, who pioneered a version of the genre under the name insurgent country.[2][11] The bands Blue Mountain, Whiskeytown, Blood Oranges and Drive-By Truckers further developed this tradition before most began to move more in the direction of rock music in the 2000s.[12]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home