Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- Jerry Lee Lewis and Stones
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: November 18, 2015 04:14

What do you think of Jerry Lee Lewis's covers of Stones songs on his albums? I know the Stones have been guests on his albums too (e.g. Mick on Dead Flowers and Keith on Sweet Virginia).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-18 04:42 by stones2000.

Re: OT- Jerry Lee Lewis and Stones
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: November 18, 2015 07:48

I have no problem with Jerry Lee. He knows rock and roll and usually does a kick ass job performing all kinds of material.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 18, 2015 09:17

Jerry Lee Lewis? Nope, nothing for me...

Little Richard? Yep, that's my man...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 18, 2015 10:28

I think he did them far too late should have done at the elektrasessions 78-80. But they recorded something in 93 together, that would be interresting

Date: November 18, 2015 10:52

Date: November 18, 2015 17:27

I loved how he ended his performance at the RnRHoF 25th anniversary when he just kept throwing the piano chair... Not much of a fan of him other than the hits, nnever really listened to his other stuff. The Stones collabs and covers were surprisingly good.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2015 22:37

Classic Jerry Lee Lewis: The Definitive Edition Of His Sun Recordings 1956-1963
Bear Family BCD 15420 8CD set................... EEEEEEssential to every rock & roll collection

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 18, 2015 23:39

DandelionPowderman
[www.youtube.com]

Great singing from Jerry on this one...must be the great song and the superb Company...or is he Always this good? Do I have to reconsider an good old opinion on a artist...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 19, 2015 00:11

YEAH!!!
Well, well... THE KILLER ROCKS ON for EVER for FFFF sake. COME ON ROCK AND ROLL !!!!
JERRY LEE LEWIS. THE FERRIDAY FIREBALL from Louisiana, a mean MFocker, a NICE MAN. JUST A HUMAN BEING (with a gift eye rolling smiley from above) HE HIMSELF DID TAKE TO THE TOP!!!

I would love to hear the session The Stones did with JLLewis at Ron Wood's home in 1993.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-19 00:24 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: MisterAccapella ()
Date: November 19, 2015 20:23

In great form with Jimmy Page:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 19, 2015 21:52

Evening Gown is great; That Kind of Fool is great, with Keith. However, Honky Tonk Women with Kid Rock is awful, as the Killer is unsuited to it. Kid Rock also ruins Rockin' My Life Away on Mean Old Man.

I think the version of Little Queenie on Rock'n'Roll Time, with Keith and Ronnie, is great. However, I'll make no bones about it: I love the Killer's country material more than his rockabilly / rock'n'roll. I've always found Breathless a bit of a weak track, and High School Confidential Ok-ish. Great Balls of Fire and Whole Lotta Shakin' were the ones that created the legend, but the country stuff has more depth.

The later rocking stuff, i.e Killer Rocks On, The Session, Southern Roots, and Jerry Lee Lewis (1979 Elektra album), are more to my taste than the Sun stuff. Southern Roots has the best miking of the piano, The Session has some great work, not just by the Killer, but by Rory Gallagher, Albert Lee, Chas Hodges, etc. Killer Rocks On has some great contemporary rock, and country-rock, tracks, as well as Chantilly Lace etc.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 19, 2015 22:49

thumbs up tomcasagranda!
That's why this session of JLLewis with The Stones in 1993 is so interesting. They mostly played COUNTRY songs...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1387
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home