Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Track Talk: I Think I'm Going Mad
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 18, 2020 03:07

boogaloojef
Emotional Rescue is bloody awful in my opinion and the lyrics are dumb as well.

Emotional Rescue is bloody brilliant and the lyrics are hilarious as well.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 18, 2020 03:18

Isn't this fun, you never know which turn this forum is going to take next!

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: January 18, 2020 03:34

GasLightStreet
boogaloojef
Emotional Rescue is bloody awful in my opinion and the lyrics are dumb as well.

Emotional Rescue is bloody brilliant and the lyrics are hilarious as well.

Leave the jokes to Frank Zappa. He is much better at it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 03:44 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 18, 2020 03:38

SomeGuy
Hairball
Anybody Seen My Baby was another stinker of an opening single, though not as horrible as Emotional Rescue or Streets of Love.

Not unlike ER, this was one of the very few good songs on the album winking smiley

Let me guess...you also think Streets of Love is great! smiling smiley

SomeGuy

Gotta love the Stones - dividing fans since 1962!

Actually, I think it was Angie that might have been one of the first singles to divide fans, though there were probably earlier ones before my time.
Some thought she was a true stinker, while others loved it - count me in as one of the lovers..."there ain't a woman that comes close to you..."...perfect. thumbs up

Date: January 18, 2020 04:16

Hairball
SomeGuy
Hairball
Anybody Seen My Baby was another stinker of an opening single, though not as horrible as Emotional Rescue or Streets of Love.

Not unlike ER, this was one of the very few good songs on the album winking smiley

SomeGuy

Actually, I think it was Angie that might have been one of the first singles to divide fans, though there were probably earlier ones before my time.
Some thought she was a true stinker, while others loved it - count me in as one of the lovers..."there ain't a woman that comes close to you..."...perfect. thumbs up

A funny story from work, a young guy we hired as a junior lawyer, assigned to me, sorta, was a Huge Stones Fan. Turned out he didn't own any records but only watched Youtube clips. Every time I asked his opinion on a Stones record, he hated it. In the end I had to conclude that this dude only liked what the Stones did before 1963...

Yes I don't dislike Streets Of Love, it reminds me a bit of Fool To Cry (now THAT song I really hate).

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 18, 2020 04:18

SomeGuy
Yes I don't dislike Streets Of Love, it reminds me a bit of Fool To Cry (now THAT song I really hate).

Likewise express your contempt for "Charmed Life" and I'll have the wife add you to our imaginary Christmas card list.

Date: January 18, 2020 04:20

SomeGuy

You never can tell about these things. I dislike "Fool to Cry" but just in an endlessly boring sorta way. "Streets of Love" I despise because it makes me ashamed that they even considered it a song, let alone a single and the lead single.

Date: January 18, 2020 04:21

SomeGuy
Hairball
SomeGuy
Hairball

SomeGuy

A funny story from work, a young guy we hired as a junior lawyer, assigned to me, sorta, was a Huge Stones Fan. Turned out he didn't own any records but only watched Youtube clips. Every time I asked his opinion on a Stones record, he hated it. In the end I had to conclude that this dude only liked what the Stones did before 1963...

So you REALLY love Streets Of Love?

Blows my mind how anyone could like that gargantuan turd of a song.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 18, 2020 04:23

Fool to Cry, Streets of Love ....Out of Tears - almost made it!

Date: January 18, 2020 04:36

GasLightStreet

Well... it's not easy to explain. Yes I hate Fool To Cry. Then ffw to 2005: there is this rather inconspicuous little song, too insignicant really to even be on a Stones record, let alone be a Lead Single, called Streets Of Love. Such is the deplorable fate of a Stones fan of four decades, that even a song reminiscent of a bad song from 40 years previous, can elicit some feeling of, what, sympathy? As in: What the ffff?? this actually sounds a bit like they used to do?!??. Whodathunkit.

Date: January 18, 2020 05:44

Chris Fountain
Fool to Cry, Streets of Love ....Out of Tears - almost made it!

Out Of Tears is one of the better tracks from VL.

Date: January 18, 2020 09:51

SomeGuy
GasLightStreet

Well... it's not easy to explain. Yes I hate Fool To Cry. Then ffw to 2005: there is this rather inconspicuous little song, too insignicant really to even be on a Stones record, let alone be a Lead Single, called Streets Of Love. Such is the deplorable fate of a Stones fan of four decades, that even a song reminiscent of a bad song from 40 years previous, can elicit some feeling of, what, sympathy? As in: What the ffff?? this actually sounds a bit like they used to do?!??. Whodathunkit.

Fool To Cry is EOMS compared to Streets Of Love, which is essentially DW.

It's sad that you feel that way, that Fool To Cry is awful yet you like such a horrible, cheesy, stupid song that makes Fool To Cry sound like the best ballad ever.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 18, 2020 12:23

"Streets of Love"...embarassing song.
A Mick's solo song that unfortunately ended in a Stones album.

Date: January 18, 2020 18:20

SomeGuy
Out Of Tears is one of the better tracks from VL.

Agreed that "Out of Tears" is a highlight.

I never understand when some iorrians disparage a poor song as a "Mick solo song that found its way to The Stones." I suppose the dreadful Stones parody that is "One More Shot" is a Keith solo song that found its way to the Stones. Songs are good and bad. There's a reason for Jagger-Richards being listed on the label for 56 years. Not liking one is a joke if you claim to be a Stones fan.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 18, 2020 18:40

Yep- Out of Tears was actually good in concert.

Date: January 18, 2020 19:39

KRiffhard
"Streets of Love"...embarassing song.
A Mick's solo song that unfortunately ended in a Stones album.

Yep, and there's plenty more Mick solo songs that made it to Stones albums that should have been kept solo or completely forgotten altogether.
To be fair though, Keith has had his share as well that would have been better off not on a Stones album and/or shelved.

Sometimes they veto eachother's ideas though claiming "not Stones material" as was the case of Getta Grip/England Lost
Too bad Keith didn't step up like that when Mick brought Emotional Rescue to the table, and surprised he tolerated Streets of Love.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 18, 2020 20:03

Track Talk: Emotional Rescue

Track Talk: Streets Of Love

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 18, 2020 21:00

Hairball
Yep, and there's plenty more Mick solo songs that made it to Stones albums that should have been kept solo or completely forgotten altogether.
To be fair though, Keith has had his share as well that would have been better off not on a Stones album and/or shelved.

Sometimes they veto eachother's ideas though claiming "not Stones material" as was the case of Getta Grip/England Lost
Too bad Keith didn't step up like that when Mick brought Emotional Rescue to the table, and surprised he tolerated Streets of Love.

Personally, I thought "Gotta Get a Grip" was just noise and "England Lost" seemed like something Bill Wyman might have written. I don't agree that the problem is they're Mick solo songs and not Stones songs, they're just bad songs. The larger problem with Jagger and Richards together and apart for the past 35 years is they're both spoiled and too easily satisfied with work that once would never have passed muster. That's a generalization of course. They both have done really good material during that time with The Stones and as solo artists, but the overall quality has fallen dramatically.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 18, 2020 22:57

We should get back to the subject song on the thread! lol

"I Think I'm Going Mad" is a wonderful B-side. If I'm not mistaken, it was recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE and than considered for inclusion on TATTOO YOU b/c of the mixing credit for Bob Clearmountain. It was than re-recorded where long versions circulate on bootlegs with Keith singing lead vocals. I guess they decided in the end to use the '79 version as the B-side.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 18, 2020 23:26

GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
Hairball
SomeGuy
Hairball

SomeGuy

On the bonus DVD, even Keith rather unconvincingly concedes "I like Streets Of Love...very much" right after Mick says something like "Sometimes you can hear a song in your head and that is how it should be and with Streets Of Love I imagined it- as it is!"
In my best possible world Streets Of Love trades places with Old Habits Die Hard, which suddenly makes ABB really flow.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 19, 2020 01:40

Sorry for contributing to leading this thread all off topic, but I just want to say one thing. Well, more like three things:

><I cannot recall how the tune goes or the melody much less the "groove".>

>That says it all, doesn't it? You never let it grow on you. You don't even know
>it!

Sir, it has taken maybe a good twenty years to erase that one from the memory banks. So please do not require me to dredge it up!

Second, I was one who questioned Angie as a single choice from GHS. Then I came to think the song was one of the greatest in their catalogue, especially after hearing some live versions back in the day. Still do think its a beautiful piece of emoting from Mick and I am not sure I think that much anymore. And the playing of the song is equally beautiful and thinking of Anita Pallenberg in the eyes of Keith Richards is memorable as well.

Or was that about Warren Beatty? Its all so hard to tell.

And third, just to show I am not "anti disco" or something, I too liked "Dance" and liked the second version even more.

What I consistently don't like are insipid lyrics about uninspired concepts or situations. They just seem a shame versus some of the deeper (or at least not so pretentious) subject matter we know the Stones have specialized in from the beginning. That's what saves songs like "Ruby Tuesday" for me, the meaningful content and lyrical flow.

More to the topic of the thread, I recall liking I Think Im Going Mad from the single, liked it more than I liked the A side She Was Hot. But it seems to me I had heard it before then; was it on the Claudine bootleg 2 record set by chance? I am away from my records so I can't verify myself.

jb

Date: January 19, 2020 02:02

I think this thread has gone mad...smiling smiley

Date: January 19, 2020 02:19

I Think I'm Going Mad would've fit excellently on Side B of TATTOO YOU, minus a track or not.

Posted by: Nightshade ()
Date: January 24, 2020 08:21

This is my first post on Iorr. Hello to everyone...Been watching you for a while.

Anyways, regarding Think I'm going mad: has anyone a clue how to play the main riff? usually i can find my way around, but that phaser keeps throwing me off...drinking smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 24, 2020 09:59

I think it's based on a simple C and Fmaj7 in the 1st position. Index finger hammering the c note and the little finger adding the d note.
No..?

Date: January 24, 2020 10:11

z
I think it's based on a simple C and Fmaj7 in the 1st position. Index finger hammering the c note and the little finger adding the d note.
No..?

Not just a regular Fsus? I know Collins (or Sanborn?) extends that chord with notes from the maj-chord a few times, but does Keith really play a Fmaj there?

Perhaps he does, and I just didn't hear it smiling smiley

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 24, 2020 10:27

DandelionPowderman
z
No..?

Not just a regular Fsus? I know Collins (or Sanborn?) extends that chord with notes from the maj-chord a few times, but does Keith really play a Fmaj there?

Yeah, he probably hits a regular F chord on the first beat but when he plays the single notes (second half of the bar), I think he leaves the high e open. That's what I hear...

Date: January 24, 2020 11:23

z
DandelionPowderman
z
No..?

Yeah, he probably hits a regular F chord on the first beat but when he plays the single notes (second half of the bar), I think he leaves the high e open. That's what I hear...

Yep, I think you're right. A hybrid chord (as he does so often) smiling smiley

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 24, 2020 11:52

Nikkei
GasLightStreet
SomeGuy
Hairball
SomeGuy
Hairball

SomeGuy

On the bonus DVD, even Keith rather unconvincingly concedes "I like Streets Of Love...very much" right after Mick says something like "Sometimes you can hear a song in your head and that is how it should be and with Streets Of Love I imagined it- as it is!"
In my best possible world Streets Of Love trades places with Old Habits Die Hard, which suddenly makes ABB really flow.

Not so sure about SOL but Fool To Cry I love ...highlight of London Stadium 2018

Date: January 24, 2020 14:05

So back to "Think I'm Going Mad," can we settle on who's playing keyboards and saxophone?

If it's Mac on keyboards, the track originates from Pathe-Marconi 1977-1978 or Compass Point 1979.
If it's Nicky on keyboards, it's from Pathe-Marconi 1979.
If it's Chuck on keyboards, it's an overdub from The Hit Factory 1983.

If it's Mel Collins on saxophone, it's an overdub from Atlantic Records 1978.
If it's Bobby on saxophone, it's from Compass Point or Pathe-Marconi 1979.
If it's Sonny Rollins on saxophone, it's an overdub from Paris 1981.
If it's David Sanborn on saxophone, it's an overdub from The Hit Factory 1983.

One other wild card possibility, Ernie Watts cut a version of the song with Mick Taylor on guitar for a Stones tribute album years after the fact.

There is, I suppose, a very slight possibility that Ernie Watts plays saxophone and recorded it in 1981 or early 1982. This is the least likely of the possibilities.

I look forward to what our various expert ears tell us about keyboards and saxophone.

Further consideration, Kimsey is only credited as recording engineer which suggests it is a SOME GIRLS outtake since EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATTOO YOU list him as an Associate Producer and UNDERCOVER as a full co-producer with The Glimmer Twins. Bob Clearmountain mixed the track which suggests it was mixed for TATTOO YOU since Kimsey mixed SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, and UNDERCOVER.

Possible considerations, Bill German reported that there was some more mixing of outtakes done during the UNDERCOVER sessions (he notes "Munich Hilton" was remixed). German then states that the decision was taken to feature no old material on the album. Nico Zentgraf notes the following:

821107A 7th November - 9th November: Boulogne Billancourt (near Paris), Pathé-Marconi Studios. MJ, KR and RW listen to leftovers from previous sessions and start work on the upcoming album ‘Undercover’.

Further when the track surfaced in early 1984 as a b-side, Bill German noted it was "recently" remixed by the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-24 14:17 by Rocky Dijon.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1372
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home