Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: I Think I'm Going Mad
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 17, 2020 06:21

jbwelda
I never understood why the put out the song "Emotional Rescue" at all, and really gobsmacked they put it out as a single...and named the album after it. That song is so ridiculous I was (and remain) embarrassed by it. That part with Jagger doing the Casanova little rap kinda thing, so funny. Maybe it was supposed to be funny and I just didn't get it.

sorry for being off topic.

jb

Agree - horrible song.
I was embarrassed for being a Stones fan, and embarrassed for the Stones for releasing it.
The falsetto is creepy and the bass line is retarded.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 17, 2020 06:31

Love this song, especially the sax!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 17, 2020 07:06

Well, Rocky, I just think I'm going mad. Me or the world.

jb

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 17, 2020 08:03

Hairball
jbwelda
I never understood why the put out the song "Emotional Rescue" at all, and really gobsmacked they put it out as a single...and named the album after it. That song is so ridiculous I was (and remain) embarrassed by it. That part with Jagger doing the Casanova little rap kinda thing, so funny. Maybe it was supposed to be funny and I just didn't get it.

jb

Agree - horrible song.
I was embarrassed for being a Stones fan, and embarrassed for the Stones for releasing it.

ER is probably my least favorite Stones single. Miss You was a cool disco-infused track but ER is like its shitty little brother who tried to follow in its footsteps and failed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2020 14:56

Hairball
jbwelda

jb

Agree - horrible song.

It's genius. Great groove, great melody, chicks dig it and it, just like Miss You, is memorable and easy to hum/whistle/sing.

Date: January 17, 2020 15:12

Rocky Dijon
Good point. "Cook Cook Blues" also ignores a credit for Kimsey as producer as I recall. Odd for both UNDERCOVER and STEEL WHEELS.

It's one of two things:

1. They couldn't remember the details for some inane reason

2. They didn't care

Does anyone think someone in the Stones in 1989 said 'Remember that blues we did for UNDERCOVER? Let's use that as a B-side for the second single"? They used a STEEL WHEELS recording for the first and last single. The third single's B-side was an LP track.

Don Was must've paid attention because he had them record B-sides for the VOODOO singles. And yet, for whatever reason, some genius had the idea of "You remember that song recorded for SOME GIRLS?" and used that as well.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 17, 2020 15:59

And I believe "So Young" in 1994 credited Chris Kimsey as producer, but not The Glimmer Twins.

This is madness.

As for the "Emotional Rescue" brouhaha, I get opinions are subjective but in a world where "Streets of Love" was a single, someone is going to maintain "Emotional Rescue" was their worst single ever? You're awful bright, you're awful smart...

Date: January 17, 2020 17:43

Rocky Dijon
And I believe "So Young" in 1994 credited Chris Kimsey as producer, but not The Glimmer Twins.

This is madness.

Maybe it was their way of making sure he got some extra credit for SOME GIRLS. He did engineer 400 songs for that record. Or maybe it was another song they had culled for TATTOO YOU, which is doubtful, or Kimsey, with his knowing mind, considered it for a B-side during the UNDERCOVER sessions, since he produced U with the Glimmer Twins. All of that aside, it just doesn't sound like something they'd put on an album, it is B-side quality. But this Kimsey crediting issue is getting out of hand: it's in the Ronnie Wood credit/no credit arena now.

Rocky Dijon
As for the "Emotional Rescue" brouhaha, I get opinions are subjective but in a world where "Streets of Love" was a single, someone is going to maintain "Emotional Rescue" was their worst single ever? You're awful bright, you're awful smart...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. Streets Of Love is THE worst Stones single ever. There's no accounting for taste - and some people have some awful bad tastes.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 17, 2020 18:20

Rocky Dijon

This is madness.

thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 17, 2020 18:59

GasLightStreet

I agree. Streets Of Love is THE worst Stones single ever. There's no accounting for taste - and some people have some awful bad tastes.

What people consider to be bad taste depends on who you're asking and is, in and of itself, also a matter of taste smiling smiley

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: January 17, 2020 19:09

Emotional Rescue is bloody awful in my opinion and the lyrics are dumb as well.

Date: January 17, 2020 20:27

GasLightStreet
Hairball
jbwelda

jb

Agree - horrible song.

It's genius. Great groove, great melody, chicks dig it and it, just like Miss You, is memorable and easy to hum/whistle/sing.

"Genius"...lol.

Guess you had to be there with me in a record store in June 1980 when it was released as a single - anticipation was high, but the results were cringeworthy. As for Miss You, I agree it's a great groove, great melody, the chicks dig it, and is memorable and easy to hum/whistle/sing. In fact Miss you became an anthem for the summer of '78 being played constantly on the radio and by high school party bands. Emotional Rescue on the other hand was like a turd that stained the album as a whole. As the first impression of a new Stones album, it failed miserably. Not saying it's their worst single ever, but it's down near the bottom.

As for Think I'm Going Mad - great tune. thumbs up

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 17, 2020 21:01

In no way is Miss You in the same category as Emotional Rescue, at least not in my book. No reason to even use them in the same sentence unless its a ying yang kind of thing.

And this Streets of Love? I have to confess I have never heard it, and the Stones have a long history of picking the worst song on an album for release as a single. At least since the mid 70s. But this Streets of Love, I assume it is much later, and by then the Stones had drifted far from being relevant. But ER was released back when they should have known better.

I have to take that "great groove, great melody...easy to hum" thing with a large grain of salt. But maybe its just me (doesn't seem like it though)...I cannot recall how the tune goes or the melody much less the "groove"...elements Miss You had in spades. As for "chicks dig it"...wasn't that a quote from Spinal Tap or something?

Then that Indian Girl abortion, like ER come again...that "mr gringo" or whatever just floors me that they would even put that out, but again haven't even listened to this in forty years so maybe its a great song and I never got it. Seems doubtful though...

Anyway take what I say all in fun, don't mean to deride anyones tastes, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

jb

Date: January 17, 2020 22:05

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
jbwelda

jb

Agree - horrible song.

"Genius"...lol.

Guess you had to be there with me in a record store in June 1980 when it was released as a single - anticipation was high, but the results were cringeworthy. As for Miss You, I agree it's a great groove, great melody, the chicks dig it, and is memorable and easy to hum/whistle/sing. In fact Miss you became an anthem for the summer of '78 being played constantly on the radio and by high school party bands. Emotional Rescue on the other hand was like a turd that stained the album as a whole. As the first impression of a new Stones album, it failed miserably. Not saying it's their worst single ever, but it's down near the bottom.

As for Think I'm Going Mad - great tune. thumbs up

Great piece of prose there. But my experience was totally the opposite. This rather disappointing ER album, AND the single sold like crazy, the chicks loved it, yet the only song anyone really liked was the title track, and in my opinion it is one of the few memorable songs on the album, along (off the top of my head) with Dance Pt. 1, Send It To Me and perhaps She's So Cold. The latter song I mention begrudgingly, as I regard it as the rest: generic, dull tracks that any other, mediocre band at the time could have recorded. Had they included Think I'm Going Mad instead of say, this total misfit Indian Girl (speaking of bad taste smiling smiley, the album would have benefited greatly.
Of course this is entirely my own view.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 02:08 by SomeGuy.

Date: January 17, 2020 22:33

<I cannot recall how the tune goes or the melody much less the "groove".>

That says it all, doesn't it? You never let it grow on you. You don't even know it! smoking smiley

Date: January 17, 2020 22:37

Hairball
Guess you had to be there with me in a record store in June 1980 when it was released as a single - anticipation was high, but the results were cringeworthy.

Emotional Rescue on the other hand was like a turd that stained the album as a whole. As the first impression of a new Stones album, it failed miserably.

There isn't a right and wrong with opinions. Lots of Stones fans hate the song. Keith didn't like it either.

That said, since me, you, and Gaslight were there in record stores in June 1980 when it was released as a single, we also know "Emotional Rescue" outsold "Tumbling Dice," "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," and "Fool to Cry" and would go on to outsell every single since except for "Start Me Up."

In other words, if you were there in June 1980, you really know it was a huge hit despite your dislike of it. "A miserable failure" would be all of the singles starting with "High Wire" that failed to even crack the Top 40.

And no, I'm not counting Billboard's Geriatric Rock charts or Billboard's Top Collectible Vinyl for Hipsters and Old Folks charts or anything other than the Hot 100 Singles each week. The only charts that matter, not the ones that showed Frankie Yankovic hitting #1 on Bestselling Polka with 200 copies sold.

Date: January 17, 2020 22:40

jbwelda
And this Streets of Love? I have to confess I have never heard it.

As Dr. Zaius told Chuck Heston, "Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 17, 2020 22:45

wait till jb stumbles on Green Ice …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 18, 2020 00:31

It's sad that I'm the only one in this forum whom likes Emotional rescue and even the album. I played Emotional Rescue(song) five times in a row at the pool last week. It's ok I will go it alone.

Date: January 18, 2020 00:56

Rocky Dijon
In other words, if you were there in June 1980, you really know it was a huge hit despite your dislike of it. "A miserable failure" would be all of the singles starting with "High Wire" that failed to even crack the Top 40.

Never realized it was a huge hit, nor do I really care how well it sold compared to other singles- it didn't get nearly the same airplay as Miss You did in '78, at least not on the L.A. radio stations I listened to.
As for "miserable failure" as a first impression opening single for the new Stones album, I was speaking of my own personal dislike of the tune - again, it was like a turd that stained the album as a whole.
That said, there are some good tunes on that album, namely Dance pt.1 (would have been a better opening single), Summer Romance, Down in the Hole, maybe She's So Cold, and All About You.

Rocky Dijon
There isn't a right and wrong with opinions.

Preaching to the choir.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 00:59 by Hairball.

Date: January 18, 2020 01:14

There is, of course, a right and wrong about opinions, but with music and taste it's just a tad complicated. Having said that, one could wonder if 'taste' and 'The Rolling Stones' necessarily should go together.

Date: January 18, 2020 01:20

Anybody Seen My Baby was another stinker of an opening single, though not as horrible as Emotional Rescue or Streets of Love.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 18, 2020 01:23

Chris Fountain
It's sad that I'm the only one in this forum whom likes Emotional rescue and even the album. I played Emotional Rescue(song) five times in a row at the pool last week. It's ok I will go it alone.

You're not alone, I aore it and was thrilled to see it finally performed in concert.

Date: January 18, 2020 01:28

Hairball
Anybody Seen My Baby was another stinker of an opening single, though not as horrible as Emotional Rescue or Streets of Love.

Not unlike ER, this was one of the very few good songs on the album winking smiley

Date: January 18, 2020 02:39

Rockman
wait till jb stumbles on Green Ice …..

Maybe he's a huge Anne Archer fan or always wanted a movie where an instrumental version of "Si, Si" keeps farting on the soundtrack.

I've seen worse films. I own worse films.

Date: January 18, 2020 02:41

Chris Fountain

Rubbish, it's the song that made me a Stones fan. It was the third 45 I ever bought at age 9. And the album is underrated. Besides Gaslight, for all of his flaws, likes it and I think Dandie has a soft spot for it. Hairball is a little older and had the good taste to not like it and consequently has no nostalgia for it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 02:46 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 18, 2020 02:43

Hairball

Rocky Dijon
There isn't a right and wrong with opinions.

Preaching to the choir.

Well that exchange went nowhere. Come on, Hairball, I expected a few entertaining back and forths with you. You're slipping.

I love "Dance" as well. Ronnie certainly agrees with you, though he's rightfully proud of his bassline on "Emotional Rescue." No, it wasn't "Miss You" by a long shot.

Date: January 18, 2020 02:44

SomeGuy
Having said that, one could wonder if 'taste' and 'The Rolling Stones' necessarily should go together.

Judging by the lapping tongue logo, I'd say it's inevitable.

Date: January 18, 2020 03:05

Hairball

To date, nothing - NOTHING - has been as bad as Streets Of Love.

The WORST Rolling Stones single ever.

Date: January 18, 2020 03:06

SomeGuy
GasLightStreet

What people consider to be bad taste depends on who you're asking and is, in and of itself, also a matter of taste smiling smiley

The taste of Streets Of Love is streets of horse shit.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home