Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: I Think I'm Going Mad
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2019 04:40

….. dat's our Keef ……

ROCKMAN

Date: October 13, 2019 10:32

retired_dog
Fixed/rescued Emotional Rescue on my personal CD-R with it, by replacing Indian Girl. Also, Where The Boys Go had to go for Claudine and All About You for We Had It All. These minor cosmetical touch-ups lifted the album considerably, I can tell you.

Both All About You and We Had It All should be included! smiling smiley

Date: October 13, 2019 15:28

I always thought 'Mad' should have ended up on one of the albums.
For me I can sit through 4 minutes of the vamp just to get to the "suck a cup of coffee" line.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 13, 2019 22:41

Palace Revolution 2000
I always thought 'Mad' should have ended up on one of the albums.
For me I can sit through 4 minutes of the vamp just to get to the "suck a cup of coffee" line.

Yes, I love that line too!! But always heard it as "swallow a cup of coffee". And Rene lists it as "lots of cups of coffee". confused smiley

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-13 22:43 by drewmaster.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: October 13, 2019 23:12

An amazing and great tune. As someone who has dealt with mental illness most of my life, this is one song that one can connect to and it offers the type of therapy that only certain songs can. Thanks for so many songs that do. Another piece of the greatness that is The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 14, 2019 03:24

"slop a cup of coffee," I've heard. My very favorite part of the the song and one of my favorite deliveries by Jagger ever.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

[www.youtube.com] Think I'm Going Mad (Keith Richards on vocals, long version)

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 14, 2019 18:17

A very nice b-side, I always loved it!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 14, 2019 22:58

Yep it was pretty exciting to hear a new track as the SWH b-side. Of course at the time there was no way of knowing when it had been recirded. That had to wait for the appearance of the ER session boots. If anything Keith's endless version on the first UC boot pointed to a UC track.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 15, 2019 01:30

Son of 'Coming Down Again.'
I wonder how much Keith contributed to the lyrics.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 15, 2019 05:27

I've never heard anything with I Think I'm Going Mad and Coming Down Again (Sleep Tonight and Coming Down Again, indeed).

It would've been perfect on EMOTIONAL RESCUE. However, keep in mind they opted to do other things for ER that helped make TATTOO YOU so brilliant. Perhaps in that aspect we should be glad Indian Girl, which has great horns in it, as goofy as they are, wasn't left off ER and put on TY.

Regarding UNDERCOVER, whatever new recordings they did on Going Mad certainly wasn't what was released, especially considering Keith cut his own version of the track, other than whatever, if any, overdubbing they did - it absolutely would not've fit on U - no ballad would've fit on U.

Obviously they cut some ballads, like Can't Find Love. The blues they cut were pretty great - Cook Cook, Looking For Trouble, Hideaway, Melobar, I'm A Little Mixed Up, Show Me A Woman... some pretty killer playing going on, for the most part (Mixed Up is... a little rough).

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 16, 2019 20:53

GasLightStreet
It would've been perfect on EMOTIONAL RESCUE. However, keep in mind they opted to do other things for ER that helped make TATTOO YOU so brilliant. Perhaps in that aspect we should be glad Indian Girl, which has great horns in it, as goofy as they are, wasn't left off ER and put on TY.

"Indian Girl" is a great backing track in search of lyrics that do it justice. The same as "Blinded by Love" on STEEL WHEELS which is very nearly the same song.

As for their version of Betty James' "I'm a Little Mixed Up," the same problem plagues it as their covers of Ray Sharpe's "Linda Lu" or The Four Tops' "Loving You is Sweeter Than Ever" (written by Stevie Wonder) - the bootlegged takes are just rough rehearsals where they haven't really bothered to nail the songs down.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 20:55 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 16, 2019 21:19

Rocky wrote:

"Indian Girl" is a great backing track in search of lyrics that do it justice. The same as "Blinded by Love" on STEEL WHEELS which is very nearly the same song.

Ditto "Blinded By Rainbows".

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 17, 2019 02:19

Elmo Lewis
Rocky wrote:

Ditto "Blinded By Rainbows".

And ditto "Streets Of Love".

There's a kind of lyrics that sound just too cheesy for the Rolling Stones - like the repetition of "awful" or "where is your mama/father", "please Mr. Gringo".

Well, I actually like "Fernando", but that's ABBA where cheesy-sounding lyrics totally fit, but not the Stones.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: October 17, 2019 15:22

That's propably a good theme for a thread - great music track let down by some uninspired lyrics. I'd definitely put 'Sweet Neocon' in that box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 15:22 by MrTurner.

Date: January 16, 2020 14:05

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

I Think I’m Going Mad
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas, January 18 - February 12, 1979,
Pathé Marconi Studios (EMI Studios), Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, France,
June 10 - October 19, 1979 and The Hit Factory, New York City, New York, US,
June - August 1, 1983

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, piano, harmony vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - pedal steel guitar
David Sanborn - saxophone

Chuck or Nicky on piano? My guess is Chuck.

Date: January 16, 2020 16:34

Wouldn't it more likely be Mac?

Date: January 16, 2020 16:40

Rocky Dijon
Wouldn't it more likely be Mac?

Nicky played on ER. And Chuck played on Undercover. But it could very well be Mac. It sounds more like Chuck than Mac, though, imo. And did Mac ever play piano on Stones tracks?

timeisonourside credits Mick Jagger. That's BS grinning smiley

Date: January 16, 2020 16:48

Considering Mac played on the Compass Point sessions in 1979, but after falling out with Mick, they wiped him and replaced him with Nicky at Pathe-Marconi that Summer; it is entirely possible that they wiped him from the 1978 Pathe-Marconi version that was edited for the B-side of "She Was Hot" and replaced him with Chuck. I agree it sounds like Chuck to my ears as well, but most here are convinced it is an edit of the SOME GIRLS outtake so I hadn't considered an overdub being a possiblity before. Seems fairly stupid not to do so. If it was, it's still odd that Kimsey only has an engineer credit on the 45 and not a co-producer credit.

Also, the credit for Bob Clearmountain suggests this was prepped for TATTOO YOU as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-16 18:47 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 16, 2020 17:39

Stu?
...(there's only one minor chord in it...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-16 17:45 by z.

Date: January 16, 2020 17:51

z
Stu?

Too pretty.

Date: January 17, 2020 02:20

z
Stu?
Haha.. good call.
And if pressed, he would probably be able to get by with a major chord there anyway.

But whoever mentioned that it would make a good thread to talk about good songs, that were brought down by lame lyrics, I agree.
Re "Blinded by Rainbows" - I think that song blows in both departments: words and music.

Posted by: JohnnySnapps ()
Date: January 17, 2020 02:59

First came across this track on the Claudine bootleg, which has always been one of my favorite boots. Fell in love with this tune and was so happy to see it get an official release. Mick's vamp at the end is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 13:55 by JohnnySnapps.

Date: January 17, 2020 03:36

Rocky Dijon
Considering Mac played on the Compass Point sessions in 1979, but after falling out with Mick, they wiped him and replaced him with Nicky at Pathe-Marconi that Summer; it is entirely possible that they wiped him from the 1978 Pathe-Marconi version that was edited for the B-side of "She Was Hot" and replaced him with Chuck. I agree it sounds like Chuck to my ears as well, but most here are convinced it is an edit of the SOME GIRLS outtake so I hadn't considered an overdub being a possiblity before. Seems fairly stupid not to do so. If it was, it's still odd that Kimsey only has an engineer credit on the 45 and not a co-producer credit.

Also, the credit for Bob Clearmountain suggests this was prepped for TATTOO YOU as well.

Everything I've ever read says it's from the 1979 Compass Point ER sessions... with no McLagan.

Date: January 17, 2020 03:56

GasLightStreet
Everything I've ever read says it's from the 1979 Compass Point ER sessions... with no McLagan.

Agreed, except for the alleged presence of Mel Collins who only worked with them in 1978. Is it actually Bobby? Some sources cite David Sanborn, but this is likely guess work because it was the B-side of "She Was Hot." EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATOO YOU's labels carry an Associate Producer credit for Kimsey, this doesn't. He's a full producer on UNDERCOVER, but just chief engineer on SOME GIRLS which is his credit here. The label credits Bob Clearmountain with mixing this track which suggests TATTOO YOU or at the same mixing session as the "Miss You" 12" single. It's a mystery. I would probably only trust Kimsey or Clearmountain's memories at this point.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 17, 2020 04:04

I never understood why the put out the song "Emotional Rescue" at all, and really gobsmacked they put it out as a single...and named the album after it. That song is so ridiculous I was (and remain) embarrassed by it. That part with Jagger doing the Casanova little rap kinda thing, so funny. Maybe it was supposed to be funny and I just didn't get it.

sorry for being off topic.

jb

Date: January 17, 2020 04:15

We forgive you.

Huge hit single that propelled the album to even greater success later, I'd say they (at least Mick) knew what they were doing.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-17 04:15 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 17, 2020 05:14

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet

Agreed, except for the alleged presence of Mel Collins who only worked with them in 1978. Is it actually Bobby? Some sources cite David Sanborn, but this is likely guess work because it was the B-side of "She Was Hot." EMOTIONAL RESCUE and TATOO YOU's labels carry an Associate Producer credit for Kimsey, this doesn't. He's a full producer on UNDERCOVER, but just chief engineer on SOME GIRLS which is his credit here. The label credits Bob Clearmountain with mixing this track which suggests TATTOO YOU or at the same mixing session as the "Miss You" 12" single. It's a mystery. I would probably only trust Kimsey or Clearmountain's memories at this point.

The Clearmountain credit led me to suspect it was remastered for TATTOO YOU ... could it be a Sonny Rollins overdub??

Date: January 17, 2020 05:30

Those who know his work far better than I have said it definitely isn't Sonny Rollins. I still think Sanborn is a possiblity, but again those with more reliable ears have said it's the same saxophone as on the slightly longer outtake it is edited down from and remixed. If it is a TATTOO YOU outtake, why no co-producer credit for Kimsey? It's a mystery.

Date: January 17, 2020 05:44

Rocky Dijon
Those who know his work far better than I have said it definitely isn't Sonny Rollins. I still think Sanborn is a possiblity, but again those with more reliable ears have said it's the same saxophone as on the slightly longer outtake it is edited down from and remixed. If it is a TATTOO YOU outtake, why no co-producer credit for Kimsey? It's a mystery.

I don't doubt what you are saying. Afterall, the info that is official is from a band that still doesn't know who played what on EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

What makes a band use a song recorded in, as far as is known, 1979 and apparently finished in 1980 for inclusion on EMOTIONAL RESCUE and/or TATTOO YOU for a B-side in 1984 when in 1989 the same band used a track recorded in 1982 for UNDERCOVER when it wasn't even used for a U single?

It's understandable for a band to use something from the sessions of an album for a non-LP B-side for a single for the album - but years later? Given the amount of songs they recorded for an LP, regardless of them being blues covers, blues originals or other originals, they mostly used LP tracks for B-sides.

The Cult have released more non-LP B-sides than the Stones - and they are, what, oh, I dunno, 3000 less singles released than The Rolling Stones?

The Stones are embarrassing when it comes to discographicalness.

Date: January 17, 2020 06:02

Good point. "Cook Cook Blues" also ignores a credit for Kimsey as producer as I recall. Odd for both UNDERCOVER and STEEL WHEELS.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home