Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Should we have EP / LIVE ALBUM / COMPILATION TALKS as well?
Date: October 19, 2015 16:26

As we're approaching the end of the album talks (ABB come Friday), I'm just checking out the interest of continuing with the EPs, compilations and live albums.

Maybe start with the official live albums, continue with the EPs (international releases included) and then the compilations (worldwide AND international releases).

I can continue posting them if you want me to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-19 16:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Should we have EP / LIVE ALBUM / COMPILATION TALKS as well?
Posted by: RobbedBlind ()
Date: October 19, 2015 16:48

Yes, I think this is a great idea, especially the live albums.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 17:07

For the live albums I think this is a great idea.

I can't wait to sink my teeth into Love you Live...

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 19, 2015 17:12

Yes, I see no reason not to.

There should be plenty to be said regarding the quality of the various live albums; the views on omissions and inclusions on various compilations; track orders, et cetera.

Proceed.

Olly.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 19, 2015 17:22

Yes.

I think solo albums talk would be good idea too.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 17:23

I think this would be very interesting. Good idea!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 19, 2015 18:24

Yes!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 19, 2015 18:51

Good idea!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 19, 2015 19:09

Go on then.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 19, 2015 19:13

Yes to all of the above - even the greatest hits compilations - the first Stones record I ever bought was Made in the Shade back in '75!
I still think Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks are essential, and then you have the London Years - even with some overlapping to the above -also essential.
And Metamorphosis was interesting with some of the best unreleased stuff - Jiving Sister Fanny, et al.
After that things seem a bit blurry...was Rewind, 40 Licks, and Grrrr necessary?
Probably not much to talk about regarding the latter two, but with a couple new tracks on each maybe they are?

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: October 19, 2015 20:47

It's a good thing too count them in also. For me personally the EP's and live albums would be more interesting. The opinions of some of the posters here are well thought, good explained opinions. Which is very nice to read and will give me sometimes new insights in albums.
And maybe put the solo albums also in the list, should be interesting to hear someones view about the lesser known soloalbums like Charlies, Bill's or Mick Taylors

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 19, 2015 21:20

Of course! Just listened to Five By Five again which made me wonder why such absolutely fantastic gems are rarely, if ever, discussed here while turds like Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge and the like get a boatload more attention than they actually deserve.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 19, 2015 21:30

Turner68
For the live albums I think this is a great idea.

I can't wait to sink my teeth into Love you Live...

Turner68

Very clever

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 19, 2015 23:38

Good idea...I don't know if you plan to make a new Track Talk for the Live albums and Compilations or use the one you already made......

Date: October 19, 2015 23:43

NICOS
Good idea...I don't know if you plan to make a new Track Talk for the Live albums and Compilations or use the one you already made......

Those track talks are your job, when that time comes. I'll do the albums smileys with beer

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 20, 2015 00:20

Comp's...
60's: Hot Rocks & More Hot Rocks
70's: Made In The Shade & Sucking In The Seventies
Beyond: GRRR Super Deluxe

As far as live, it's gotta be all of them including the archives releases...that does it for my desert island survival kit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-20 00:22 by shadooby.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 20, 2015 00:24

DandelionPowderman
NICOS

Those track talks are your job, when that time comes. I'll do the albums smileys with beer

I meant Album Talk

Date: October 20, 2015 02:30

I was confused and thought you meant an HONEST TO GOODNESS new album... I was thrown off by

(ABB come Friday)

Date: October 20, 2015 06:24

Hairball
Yes to all of the above - even the greatest hits compilations - the first Stones record I ever bought was Made in the Shade back in '75!
I still think Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks are essential, and then you have the London Years - even with some overlapping to the above -also essential.
And Metamorphosis was interesting with some of the best unreleased stuff - Jiving Sister Fanny, et al.
After that things seem a bit blurry...was Rewind, 40 Licks, and Grrrr necessary?
Probably not much to talk about regarding the latter two, but with a couple new tracks on each maybe they are?

Made in the Shade is a solid Long Player

Date: October 20, 2015 06:54

Turner68
Hairball

I still have it Turner - tattered and battered, but a cool time capsule of when I was 12 years old.
I remember my older brother buying Sticky Fingers when it was first released in '71, but being only 8 years old I was still listening to top 40 radio.
The first album I ever bought was the Jackson 5 Greatest Hits right around that time - still have it as well! thumbs up

Date: October 20, 2015 07:11

Hairball
Turner68
Hairball

I still have it Turner - tattered and battered, but a cool time capsule of when I was 12 years old.
I remember my older brother buying Sticky Fingers when it was first released in '71, but being only 8 years old I was still listening to top 40 radio.
The first album I ever bought was the Jackson 5 Greatest Hits right around that time - still have it as well! thumbs up

Beatles Blue Album here.
For the Stones - Hot Rocks. Made in the Shade came soon after.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 20, 2015 09:08

Out of Our Heads as christmas gift 1965...

and YES, let's continueing talk albums...even OT Album-talks when Stones albums is finished...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 20, 2015 09:23

and YES, let's continueing talk albums...even OT Album-talks when Stones albums is finished...[/quote]

That would be interesting!!!

Date: October 20, 2015 09:26

Come On

What about which album bought with your own money Come On?

As gifts, my dad bought my brother and I every Beatles album as they were released.
One of the first songs I ever remember hearing and trying to sing along to was A Hard Days night.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 20, 2015 10:00

shadooby
Comp's...
60's: Hot Rocks & More Hot Rocks.

Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass) and it's follow-up, Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) are the original, and best, compilations they've ever released. Others may be more comprehensive and career-spanning in content, but those original two were released at a time when the Stones truly mattered. The are as essential as any of their Decca/London studio releases. Subsequent releases have been somewhat faceless, though I do admittedly hold a soft-spot for Hot Rocks; my first-ever Rolling Stones purchase.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 20, 2015 11:00

Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass) Yes Big Al essential esp the UK
version with 14 tracks instead of US with 11 and released some 8 months after the US version ... UK all the way

ROCKMAN

Date: October 20, 2015 11:12

We will have a closer look at some of these later on, then smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 20, 2015 11:33

Hairball
Come On

What about which album bought with your own money Come On?

As gifts, my dad bought my brother and I every Beatles album as they were released.
One of the first songs I ever remember hearing and trying to sing along to was A Hard Days night.

smiling smiley It was 'Aftermath' the next year if we're talking Stones. I could have bought a lowprice Kinks-album named 'Well respected Kinks' a couple of months before Aftermath....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2015 12:10

alimente
Of course! Just listened to Five By Five again which made me wonder why such absolutely fantastic gems are rarely, if ever, discussed here while turds like Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge and the like get a boatload more attention than they actually deserve.

I just happen to have a chance to play an old vinyl player, and the only Stones records I have with me was those three UK EPs (a long story behind, but I spare you of that...).

But MAMMA MIA - I played those three records often and LOUD - the whole bloody Finnish countryside, the forest, the lakes and all around me and my speakers outside surely had their share of fun... And I swear I haven't loved listening to the The Stones records so much for ages as I did then. Like a revelation, a rebirth or something. I could very well understood why on earth that music and those very records made such an incredible affect on musical world at the time. So much power, so much passion, the young, raw attitude... Rock music just can't be any better! EXILE and all that is sure great, but babe THE ROLLING STONES, FIVE BY FIVE, and if not the greatest, but the energiest live recording ever: GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! are the real thing!The WHOLE band effort. Extra kudos to Bill Wyman's bass work - he had so much room back in those old, early days. For some reason was mixed more down and playing more low key later.

So yeah! EP discussion, thank you!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-20 12:13 by Doxa.

Date: October 20, 2015 12:26

And in recent years, this one has been a great addition to the early EPs/live EPs:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-20 12:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home