Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The day I took my Gran to see the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 26, 2015 20:20

WAS it really half a century ago when The Stones rolled into Southampton on the night of September 25, 1965?

Fifty years may have come and gone but I can still remember the squeeze of the fans as we packed the foyer of the former Gaumont theatre where Mick Jagger and the boys were to play two concerts.

One of the most remarkable memories of the occasion was the fact that clinging on to my arm, as we battled the way to our seats in the stalls, was my grandmother who despite being well into her 70s was probably the oldest Stones fan around at the time.

“They seem such a nice bunch of lads,” was how she summed up the band, although she did admit that her favourite was the mop-haired guitarist Brian Jones who was destined to meet a sad end just four years later when he was found dead floating in the swimming pool of his house.

At one point we passed theatre manager, the late Ken Watts, immaculate as usual in his evening suit. A little surprised at seeing my grandmother he told her: "I hope you have brought you ear-plugs along.”

This was the third time the Rolling Stones were playing the Gaumont, now better known as the Mayflower. The first time was on September 29, 1963 when they were the support act for Bo Diddley and the Everley Brothers. The following year they had their first number one, It's All Over Now, and returned on October 4, 1964 when they topped the bill.

Three more number ones, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time and Satisfaction, which also topped the US charts, had established the Stones as second only to the Beatles in popularity by the time of their next visit in September 1965. Another year and several more hits on including chart toppers, Get Off My Cloud and Paint It Black, they returned for their last visit on October 9, 1966 topping a bill which also featured Ike and Tina Turner and The Yardbirds.

In 1965 The Rolling Stones shared the bill with The Spencer Davis Group, The Checkmates and Unit Four+2 while best seats in the theatre cost 12 shillings and sixpence (62p) and the cheapest was just five shillings and sixpence (27p).

In between the two performances, one at 6.15pm and the other at 8.40pm, a reporter from the Daily Echo was ushered into the presence of the Stones as they relaxed in their dressing room.

“Our man walked into the Rolling Stones dressing room (intrepid fellow) and found that despite their surroundings of equipment, luggage, road managers and hangers-on, the atmosphere was casual,” reported the Daily Echo.

“The group talked quietly and amiably. Keith Richard commented on the screaming fans: 'They don’t really worry us. After all, they pay to see us and if they want to scream I think they are entitled to.'"

At this moment the group’s supper was brought in, fish and chips, a chicken leg and a large bottle of red wine. Keith asked Mick Jagger to save him a piece of fish.

Ghost-like Bill Wyman sat quietly and listened to the conversation while drummer Charlie Watts delved deep into his bag of chips.

“In our spare time we sleep,” said Keith and Mick nodded in agreement. “Then Mick and I might write a few songs. We’ve written the last two singles.”

The Daily Echo reporter then came up with the killer question. “Critics have called them many things, some even complimentary, but most have been highly critical of the way they dress, their long hair and their attitude. Why do you continue to provoke criticism?”

Brian Jones, wearing tight white trousers and what could best be described as a de-luxe string vest, settled on the settee and told the room: “There’s a hell of a lot of chicks in here.”

The Rolling Stones have just announced their first ever exhibition – EXHIBITIONISM - at London's Saatchi Gallery from April 6. It will show more than 500 Stones artefacts. Details at saatchigallery.com, tickets from 0844 453 9020.

[www.dailyecho.co.uk]

Re: The day I took my Gran to see the Rolling Stones
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 27, 2015 15:26

Nice article, thanks for sharing Christiano. For some reason, it reminded me of when my Dad and I went to see the movie Saturday Night Fever together. Boy, was that a mistake! grinning smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 27, 2015 20:22

Yes thanks Cristiano. How times change. Now half the women who go see the Stones and grandmas themselves and are probably taking their grandkids to see the show. lol

With all due respect and admiration, I was somewhat shocked looking around at the audience in San Diego this year and seeing so many older people. Perhaps it was because we were up front in the pricey seats and that's where these folks who have earned enough money to sit there were concentrated. But, it was an odd feeling, that's for sure. It wasn't so obvious in San Jose just a couple years earlier.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 27, 2015 22:25

My mom took me to see my first Stones concert in 69 in Philly.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 28, 2015 01:11

Naturalust
Yes thanks Cristiano. How times change. Now half the women who go see the Stones and grandmas themselves and are probably taking their grandkids to see the show. lol

With all due respect and admiration, I was somewhat shocked looking around at the audience in San Diego this year and seeing so many older people. Perhaps it was because we were up front in the pricey seats and that's where these folks who have earned enough money to sit there were concentrated. But, it was an odd feeling, that's for sure. It wasn't so obvious in San Jose just a couple years earlier.

That may be true in some places, but where we were sitting in Melbourne last year, we were (even at my age) not the youngest in the nearby seats. We scooted swiftly as the show finished not wanting our exit to be held up behind the massed barely mobile exit of the many 70 and 80 year olds who we had see struggling to climb up to their seats high up in the arena!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 28, 2015 02:00

Cristiano, what a very nice story, your grandmother going to the show with you!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 28, 2015 02:28

angee

Hi, angee! Nice story indeed but it wasn't me, although I wish it was. I was born 10 years after this concert. smiling smiley

Posted by: abc890 ()
Date: September 28, 2015 03:48

schillid
My mom took me to see my first Stones concert in 69 in Philly.

Any story you can share for that? smiling smiley The 1969 tour is one of my favorites!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 28, 2015 07:43

Cristiano Radtke
angee

Hi, angee! Nice story indeed but it wasn't me, although I wish it was. I was born 10 years after this concert. smiling smiley

oh, sorry, duh!

~"Love is Strong"~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home