Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Plangent Process... have the Stones used it for the new live tapes they gave us?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 21, 2015 14:37

In short it's a new revolutionary transfer method which works best for recordings made with somewhat primitive recording devices (Nagra 4 or 8-tracks).

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]
[audiophilereview.com]

So... I was wondering if the L.A.'75 the Bruxelles'73 recording or any other 70's live tape Mick offered us during the last few years had benefited from the PP.

If that's not the case maybe future Stones Archives releases or an expanded GYYO could definitely enjoy a bit of Plangeant...

Mick?

Re: Plangent Process... have the Stones used it for the new live tapes they gave us?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2015 19:34

wow...actually seems possible for it, in theory, to sound 'better' than the original recording.

Re: Plangent Process... have the Stones used it for the new live tapes they gave us?
Date: July 21, 2015 19:44

I don't know if they did but if they don't for future releases then it's a real shame.
I mean is Mick unable to do for his tapes library what the Dead do their theirs?

Mick it's the Dead, where's your pride? grinning smiley

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: July 21, 2015 20:14

Don't think they used on "GRRR" CD #5

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:32

Rank Stranger
Don't think they used on "GRRR" CD #5

GRRR!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 22, 2015 01:10

dcba

I mean is Mick unable to do for his tapes library what the Dead do their theirs?

Mick it's the Dead, where's your pride? grinning smiley

Iggy

Mick thinks of these tapes about the same that you think of that fruit salad you made yesterday that just wasn't right...too much of this, not enough of that.
We're lucky he threw it out on the front porch for us to scavenge instead of the garbage where it was headed...

Posted by: JamiePlangent ()
Date: September 3, 2015 22:14

dcba
In short it's a new revolutionary transfer method which works best for recordings made with somewhat primitive recording devices (Nagra 4 or 8-tracks).

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]
[audiophilereview.com]

So... I was wondering if the L.A.'75 the Bruxelles'73 recording or any other 70's live tape Mick offered us during the last few years had benefited from the PP.

If that's not the case maybe future Stones Archives releases or an expanded GYYO could definitely enjoy a bit of Plangeant...

Mick?

It works on all tape, from Nagras through Ampex 24track to 30IPS 1/2" 2 track Studer.

We would love to work for the Stones as we have for The Grateful Dead and Bruce Springsteen. We did work on "Charley Is My Darling".
As for how to go about getting a listen from them I have no idea. Any help in that regard would be much appreciated.
Jamie Howarth
Plangent Processes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-03 22:15 by JamiePlangent.

Date: September 3, 2015 23:15

Thx Jamie! thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 3, 2015 23:40

JamiePlangent
dcba

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]
[audiophilereview.com]

Mick?

It works on all tape, from Nagras through Ampex 24track to 30IPS 1/2" 2 track Studer.

We would love to work for the Stones as we have for The Grateful Dead and Bruce Springsteen. We did work on "Charley Is My Darling".
As for how to go about getting a listen from them I have no idea. Any help in that regard would be much appreciated.
Jamie Howarth
Plangent Processes

Fascinating process. I sometimes wonder just how much of the harmonic distrotion, IM distortion, and other irregularities tricked our ears/brains into thinking more was going on with the music than how it was created and may have actually added to the listening experience. I'm sure this isn't true in all cases but it must have effected the engineers when they were mixing the tracks. Perhaps they would have been mixed differently without the all these tape effects?

Of course the warmth and compressive effects of tape saturation are known to be pleasant side effects of tape recording. I am curious if any tracks have been transferred using this process and ended up sounding worse somehow than the original tracks? Does it always seen to improve the sound? Thanks.

Posted by: JamiePlangent ()
Date: September 26, 2015 12:16

Always better. The engineer is listening to the mix before the recorder distorts it, and after plangent processing it sounds more like the console output.

Plus the playback electronics are a great improvement over the 40 year old machines typically still used for present day mastering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-27 08:47 by JamiePlangent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2173
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home