Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: A-Ha
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 14, 2015 19:57

I just learned these guys are back with a new album. It was sort of a big deal when they "retired" about 5 years ago.

Any other fans (other than BV) here?

Re: OT: A-Ha
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 14, 2015 20:01

I remember Cry Wolf, a hit in the 8-tees. Nice song.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 20:01

I used to be a fan in the 80's when I was a teenager. They have done some nice songs and they were really fit.grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2015 20:23

Take On Me - typical mid-'80's new wave fluffy pop all over MTV.
For a minute had them confused with Mr.Mister and Take These Broken Wings - very similar bands imo.
Take on Me vs. Take These Broken Wings - no winners here, it's a tie.

Date: September 14, 2015 20:36

That's hilarious, Hairball smiling smiley You have some catching up to do.

My wife's a big fan. I bought her a nearly complete collection for her 40th birthday.

IMO, the slick production ruins many of their good songs. Live, they are way more guitar based, and actually put on a great show.

Best songs imo: Manhattan Skyline, Summer Moved On and Velvet. The latter is better with Paul Waaktaar Savoy's other band, Savoy.

Morten Harket is one of the best vocalists out there, no matter genre.

Date: September 14, 2015 20:36

That Mr.Mister guitarist had an amazing guitar sound on "is it love", a great song btw.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 14, 2015 20:41

The 1980s IMHO were the worst decade for popular music. I don't think A-ha were any worse than most of the electro-pop that came out in that decade but they are part of a movement that needed Kurt Cobain to come along and obliterate it.

Date: September 14, 2015 20:48

A-ha has released albums in the 80s, 90s, 00s and the 10s. They had a break between 1993-1999, though.

They called it a day in 2010, but did some shows for charity + wrote and recorded songs in the meantime before their new album and world tour now.

They held the stadium show world record for some time with their show at Maracana stadium with 190.000 tickets sold in 1991. They're playing there again soon.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 14, 2015 22:00

They are a great band. I have been lucky to have spare time available between Stones tour, to see some of their most unique performances, like the final shows in Oslo Spektrum, and the Morten Harket solo shows in Rockefeller with special guests Paul and Magne doing their own sets, then a-ha in the end. Also, the unique one-off show at Oslo Konserthus, where they played their entire first two albums through live in 2010:

[www.aftenposten.no]

I wish I could follow a-ha on tour, but there is another band taking all my attention these days. Between the tours I stay low and do my homework...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 22:47

sdstonesguy
I just learned these guys are back with a new album. It was sort of a big deal when they "retired" about 5 years ago.

Horrific . Not "music"

Date: September 14, 2015 22:53

Stones50
sdstonesguy

Horrific . Not "music"

They were a remarkable band, lots of good stuff done in the 8-tees.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 23:04

I didn't realize they were together! Never heard from them after the album with Take On Me. Guess they were still popular over in Europe all these years!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 14, 2015 23:10

Sorry I only know "Take on Me" I did missed most of the 80's though no television and growing up some youngsters...not sure missed a lot....
"Take on Me' had a nice clip I remember especially for it's time...........

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 23:26

LuxuryStones
Stones50
sdstonesguy

Horrific . Not "music"

They were a remarkable band, lots of good stuff done in the 8-tees.
remarkable??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 14, 2015 23:32

Stones50
sdstonesguy

Horrific . Not "music"

This comment is showing lack of respect for other people and their opinons.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: September 14, 2015 23:42

desertblues68
I used to be a fan in the 80's when I was a teenager. They have done some nice songs and they were really fit.grinning smiley

I was a huge fan....and Morten Harket was my first pop crush...grinning smiley

Saw them on their "Farewell" tour, and going to the, well I guess, "we're back" tour in March.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 14, 2015 23:55

bv
Stones50
sdstonesguy

Horrific . Not "music"

Exactly.
A fine band with some great songs. Not everything has to be in the Stones-liga. I enjoy a harmless pop song too, from time to time.

Date: September 15, 2015 00:31

Only know/like 'Take On Me', so here!

video: [www.youtube.com]

It's a mash-up I found searching for Adam Ant mash-ups...'Take On Me' with 'Stand & Deliver'!

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 15, 2015 00:42

I've seen a-ha in 1986 on the tour to their 2nd album. I remember it as a good concert.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 15, 2015 01:29

bv
Stones50
sdstonesguy

Horrific . Not "music"

The best way to comment is "It's Not My Cup Of Tea" and Not "music" doesn't exist .........actually it does exist but we call that.........Silence

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-15 01:47 by NICOS.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 06:00

Great band, very, very underrated as their hit singles were really not representative of the band as a whole;
Saw them live in the late 80s and early 90s and again on the farewell tour 5 or 6 years ago; really strong live.
If anyone wants to check out an album, their 2nd album 'Scoundrel Days' is excellent.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 15, 2015 09:05

Not my cup of tea but 'Take on Me' is really something....

2 1 2 0

Date: September 15, 2015 09:58

A-ha back then:

[www.youtube.com]

The comeback in 1999:

[www.youtube.com]

Today:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 15, 2015 10:07

Manhattan Skyline is a great song. I have their first album. Also love Cry Wolf.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 15, 2015 12:56

I didn't like the band and absolutely hated "Take On Me", but I very much liked "I've Been Losing You". That was a great pop-song, rhytmically, harmonically and melodically. "Hunting High and Low" wasn't bad either.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 15, 2015 14:41

A-Ha are a great band and I loved their stuff back in the 80's.

Very popular here in U.K. and I imagine all over Europe.

Seen a lot on T.V. and U.K. media talking about the up coming Tour and the new album.

Date: September 15, 2015 14:42

crawdaddy

Seen a lot on T.V. and U.K. media talking about the up coming Tour and the new album.

First norwegian band topping the Billboard hot 100 in the US as well. Also huge in South America.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 15, 2015 14:48

DandelionPowderman
crawdaddy

First norwegian band topping the Billboard hot 100 in the US as well. Also huge in South America.

In Sweden we thinks our band Europe with their superhit 'The Final Countdown' is really something, but people around this planet tends to differ....I don't know why...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 15, 2015 14:48

Never liked these sissies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home