Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Acoustic Guitar on Brown Sugar?
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: September 4, 2015 17:38

Someone told me there was an acoustic track on the original recording - is that true?

Re: Acoustic Guitar on Brown Sugar?
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 17:39

absolutely. it's very audible.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 4, 2015 17:41

Easy to hear

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 17:56

Yes. What, you can't hear it? It's clearly audible after the intro riff kicks in to the round about part before the lyrics come in.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 4, 2015 18:04

Its during the Eb - C - Ab - Bb part. Very loud in the mix.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 4, 2015 18:05

Right channel

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:34

thanxxx!!!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:50

One of the music rags of the day totally trashed the use of an acoustic guitar on "Brown Sugar." I think the argument was something like the acoustic watered down the track or wasn't appropriate sonically for the song, or something.

Then this same reviewer (I think from Rolling Stone mag) in a review of the single "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" basically fessed up and admitted that while he had hated the acoustic on BS, they acoustic guitars on IORR absolutely made the track soar.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 4, 2015 21:04

The Stones use of acoustic guitars has always been one of the things that has made their studio work shine, imo. BS is no exception. I often wish they would add these elements to their current live shows and mix them in a similar audible way. I wouldn't care in Blondie or some other guitarist was necessary to pull it off, I think if done correctly it could just improve the music.

Date: September 4, 2015 21:06

Naturalust
The Stones use of acoustic guitars has always been one of the things that has made their studio work shine, imo. BS is no exception. I often wish they would add these elements to their current live shows and mix them in a similar audible way. I wouldn't care in Blondie or some other guitarist was necessary to pull it off, I think if done correctly it could just improve the music.

+1

PS: They did that on Satisfaction recently grinning smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 4, 2015 21:14

Shine is the right word! That acoustic, the backing vocals and the guiro or whatever it was -
elements we don't get to hear in the concert renditions - make the studio track a shining evergreen piece of forever.

Date: September 4, 2015 21:33

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

+1

Not nearly recently enough and from my recollection not very audible in the mix either. It wouldn't be the best use of his talents but the idea of Taylor on board to add these kinds of elements would have probably have been more acceptable to Mick, Keith and Ronnie and created a better and possibly more long term situation for the three guitar approach. I often wonder who's idea it was to have MT playing acoustic on Satisfaction? Was it just to have him out there for the bow , a real attempt to integrate him more or perhaps an actual musical consideration?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 4, 2015 21:52

Electro-acoustics in a live setying do not have the same effect as an actaul acoustic on a studio recording. Mostly pointless live because it would just add a horrible falseness to the sound.

It's bad enough having a digital piano, an electro-acoustic would just add further trash.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:20

His Majesty
Electro-acoustics in a live setying do not have the same effect as an actaul acoustic on a studio recording. Mostly pointless live because it would just add a horrible falseness to the sound.

It's bad enough having a digital piano, an electro-acoustic would just add further trash.

i agree.

Date: September 4, 2015 22:30

Turner68
His Majesty

i agree.

Electro acoutics have come a long way since the old days guys. There are some companies making some excellent acoustic guitar amplification products. Some of the ones I use have multiple devices to achieve a great acoustic sound including microphones inside. That excuse doesn't fly in 2015, sorry.

Date: September 4, 2015 22:33

Nice, but they still don't sound like acoustic guitars.

Date: September 4, 2015 22:48

DandelionPowderman
Nice, but they still don't sound like acoustic guitars.

I would argue that with proper amplification they do indeed sound like acoustic guitars. Besides you could argue the acoustic guitars on some Stones records don't sound like acoustic guitars. winking smiley

Much of the acoustic treatment on the records is highly effected with EQ, compression and of course more radical treatment on songs like SFM and JJF.

But if you have been to a modern country music or bluegrass show you would be hard pressed to argue that acoustic guitars are ineffective or don't sound like acoustics in a live setting these days.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 4, 2015 23:28

They have improved, but still far from an acoustic and when they are mixed in with a loud band they sound more like someone is strumming a plastic comb rather than an acoustic guitar.

People have just accepted the sound and ease of use. Ultra vile when people use them on studio recordings! Gadz!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 23:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 4, 2015 23:52

This acoustic guitar is very good in BS. Do you know who played the acoustic on ventilator blues?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 5, 2015 00:11

I didn't notice the acoustic until I bought the original CD (1987 ish)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-05 00:14 by Braincapers.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 5, 2015 00:17

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

+1

Not nearly recently enough and from my recollection not very audible in the mix either. It wouldn't be the best use of his talents but the idea of Taylor on board to add these kinds of elements would have probably have been more acceptable to Mick, Keith and Ronnie and created a better and possibly more long term situation for the three guitar approach. I often wonder who's idea it was to have MT playing acoustic on Satisfaction? Was it just to have him out there for the bow , a real attempt to integrate him more or perhaps an actual musical consideration?

They were trying to copy this. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home