Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT : Successful "super groups"
Date: June 25, 2011 03:29

spsimmons
When I hear "supergoup" the first thing I think of is the Damn Yankees. Loved them!

yeah i'd say since they were all from multi platinum hit making backgrounds they might be the best example there is.

a slightly successful super BLUE MURDER featuring john sykes, carmine appice and tony franklin. speaking of carmine what about BBA and DBA

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 25, 2011 06:36

Gazza
The Highwaymen (Cash, Jennings, Kristofferson, Nelson)

As I said earlier...

Sleepy City
No-one's mentioned The Highwaymen. [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 25, 2011 14:49

To me, Humble Pie was super- but to the average folk, they may not have been heard of. Marriot- Small Faces, Frampton- Herd, Ridley- Spooky Tooth.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 25, 2011 15:00

Then also VH1's Divas Live special in 1998:
Mariah Carey, CĂ©line Dion, Gloria Estefan, Aretha Franklin, Carole King.

Date: June 25, 2011 23:22

NICOS
A super group is a group that contains only band members that were previous well know and had a great history in music.

As for Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (a super group), they all could write, sing and play their instruments but after all they were 4 solo artist in one band, but I love them.

Cream was a Group that were super but not a Super group.

Crosby played in The Byrds.

Date: June 25, 2011 23:25

keefriffhard4life
spsimmons
When I hear "supergoup" the first thing I think of is the Damn Yankees. Loved them!

yeah i'd say since they were all from multi platinum hit making backgrounds they might be the best example there is.

a slightly successful super BLUE MURDER featuring john sykes, carmine appice and tony franklin. speaking of carmine what about BBA and DBA

I have only heard of Nugent...

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: June 25, 2011 23:54

bigmac7895
To me, Humble Pie was super- but to the average folk, they may not have been heard of. Marriot- Small Faces, Frampton- Herd, Ridley- Spooky Tooth.

Depends what country. I'm sure that nearly all pop / rock fans in the UK in 1969 knew who Marriot & Frampton were.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 26, 2011 00:05

DandelionPowderman
NICOS
A super group is a group that contains only band members that were previous well know and had a great history in music.

As for Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (a super group), they all could write, sing and play their instruments but after all they were 4 solo artist in one band, but I love them.

Cream was a Group that were super but not a Super group.

Crosby played in The Byrds.

Nash from the Hollies and Stills and Young from Buffalo Springfield. CSNY you can without doubt consider as a Super Group.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 26, 2011 03:46

ROLLINGSTONE
Do Velvet Revolver qualify? Even in the loosest sense.
grinning smiley
Sure why not?smiling bouncing smiley

Date: June 26, 2011 03:52

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
spsimmons

tommy shaw is from STYX, a multiplatinum act in the 70's and early 80's known for their hits "lady", "best of times", "come sail away", "babe", "renegade", "mr roboto" and "show me the way". jack blades is from night ranger who were a popular band from the early-late 80's. they were best known for their songs "don't tell me you love me", "sister christian, "you can still rock in america" and "when you close your eyes".

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 26, 2011 03:54

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
spsimmons

tommy shaw is from STYX, a multiplatinum act in the 70's and early 80's known for their hits "lady", "best of times", "come sail away", "babe", "renegade", "mr roboto" and "show me the way". jack blades is from night ranger who were a popular band from the early-late 80's. they were best known for their songs "don't tell me you love me", "sister christian, "you can still rock in america" and "when you close your eyes".
Damn Yankees were Damn good. This was thier big hit.

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: June 26, 2011 04:28

Bad English, Audioslave

Date: June 26, 2011 06:46

mickboy33
Bad English, Audioslave

nice. i forgot both of those were supergroups

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 26, 2011 06:55

jamesfdouglas

Well these "nobodies" were already in a band together called 'Band of Joy', here's Robbie & Bonzo pre-Zep...

Sure, Plant and Bonham were already in a band together, but that band wasn't particularly well-known in England and was unheard of in the States.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 26, 2011 18:49

Little Village (John Hiatt, Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, Jim Keltner ) had an amazing line up, but was not so successful. They only released one album in 1992 that peaked at 66 in the charts.

HSAS (Hagar, Schon, Aaronson, and Shrieve ) was a 1984 side project for Journey guitarist Neal Schon, with a pre-Van Halen Sammy Hagar, Santana drummer Michael Shrieve, and Kenny Aaronson. Their cover of "A Whiter Shade of Pale" was in MTV rotation for awhile.

I guess the Faces were a supergroup, but my line about them has always been that the were a "Supergroup in Reverse" when you consider that when they split Woody became a Stone, Kenney joined The Who, Mac played with the Stones, Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce, etc., and Rod continued his successful solo career.

And Ronnie Lane's outstanding solo work is like buried treasure still waiting for the world to discover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-26 20:33 by loog droog.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 26, 2011 19:03

mickboy33
Bad English, Audioslave

Bad English was the loudest show I ever attended. Saw them in 1989 and my ears were ringing for the next 3 days.

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: June 26, 2011 19:15

rollmops
I listened to The Faces "A nod is ..." enjoying the music quite a lot and I realised that the Faces were a kind of super group of their days; 1/2 small faces, 1/2 Jeff Beck group. Sometimes wellknown musicians forming a band together can result in great music. So Keith Richards' theory about band formation, you know the "seeing the cracks in the assemblage of the Led Zep" isn't 100% right. Are there other examples of successful "superbands" and also less successful ones.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

1. The Rolling Stones.

Keith knows that, Mick doesn't care.

Date: June 26, 2011 20:24

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
spsimmons

Totally unknown for me.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 26, 2011 20:28

keefriffhard4life
"mr roboto"

HA HA

What a bizarre "tune"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 27, 2011 04:08

The Master Musicians of Jajouka and Brian Jones.
Doesn't qualify in the traditional sense, but super to my ears.

Date: June 27, 2011 04:10

...oh, and after 2 pages of posts, i'm shocked that no one has thought of, or volunteered SUPERHEAVY, given it is 3 or 5 separate threads going at last count.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 27, 2011 04:23

treaclefingers
...oh, and after 2 pages of posts, i'm shocked that no one has thought of, or volunteered SUPERHEAVY, given it is 3 or 5 separate threads going at last count.

Seems like the obvious, low-hanging fruit that no one picked because it was the (unspoken ) catalyst for the topic.

Date: June 27, 2011 05:05

loog droog
treaclefingers

Seems like the obvious, low-hanging fruit that no one picked because it was the (unspoken ) catalyst for the topic.

Low hanging fruit that is ignored, tends to spoil.

Date: June 27, 2011 05:55

treaclefingers

they weren't mentioned because they thread says successful and they haven't played a show or released an album yet

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 27, 2011 09:07

Beck, Bogert and Appice: Jeff Beck and the Vanilla Fudge rhythm section. Without a doubt, their lone studio album is the worst studio album on which Beck is a featured player. No wonder he went the instrumental route afterwards.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: June 27, 2011 11:46

what about this one ?
[fistfulofmercy.com]
harper, arthur, harrison

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 27, 2011 11:57

What about super duos? - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - a rock and a country legend.

Elton John and Leon Russell.

Date: June 27, 2011 12:58

ab
Beck, Bogert and Appice: Jeff Beck and the Vanilla Fudge rhythm section. Without a doubt, their lone studio album is the worst studio album on which Beck is a featured player. No wonder he went the instrumental route afterwards.

oh well i thought it was a great album

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home