Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Passaic, NJ '78 Soundboard?
Posted by: STUFAN ()
Date: June 22, 2011 16:11

This one has pretty good sound quality but I know most soundboard (for whatever reason) are in mono.

So is this also in mono or a lucky stereo soundboard??

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Passaic, NJ '78 Soundboard?
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: June 22, 2011 19:28

Awesome show, i bought a SRO tix from a theatre employee...

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: June 22, 2011 19:33

Only a few songs in stereo - released on vinyl on "Out On Bail". I'm not sure if the stereo takes have been released on CD, never listened that close to the CDs...

Posted by: STUFAN ()
Date: June 22, 2011 20:56

Silkcut,

Thanks but maybe I'm being totally dense here but why would some songs be in stereo and others not? Different sources? I thought it was just one take taken from the soundboard by an overzealous fan...

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: June 22, 2011 22:33

intresting i always wonder why,.some trax are in stereo & some in mono ??

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: June 23, 2011 14:25

to me this recording is perhaps the only other live recording from another band that tops brussells for me... (runs for cover)

Date: June 23, 2011 15:54

Is "Garden State" and Out On Bail from the same sound source? My mono soundboard copy of Out On Bail sound very thin and unbalanced, almost unlistenable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-23 17:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 23, 2011 17:46

@Dandelionman, you probably have the Swingin Pig release; the one with Mick & Keith on the front photo - and yes; that one sounds thin and bad

Date: June 23, 2011 17:47

Yep, that´s the one. I better check out the other releases then.

Date: June 23, 2011 17:49

If you're looking for the best CD release....go for "Out On Bail 1978" - a 3CD set from VGP. Same cover as the poor Swingin Pig release.....but don't be fooled; the sound is better

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 23, 2011 17:50

Pretty sure UrbanSteel has this show as a free download on the HOT STUFF page. I believe it is in stereo, though not as perfect as HANDSOME GIRLS. I used to own it on a cassette tape back in the eighties.

Date: June 23, 2011 19:25

My vinyl copy of Out On Bail is white w/nothing on it but a red stamp...

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: June 23, 2011 22:22

DandelionPowderman

Thanks for bringing this up, as I have the same copy/problems you do. I once had the whole show in perfect quality on Napster before my old computer crashed. Last January I bought the same copy of Out on Bail as you have. The mix craps out from one side to the other or just goes dead on one channel during a song.

Date: June 23, 2011 22:31

stevecardi
DandelionPowderman

Thanks for bringing this up, as I have the same copy/problems you do. I once had the whole show in perfect quality on Napster before my old computer crashed. Last January I bought the same copy of Out on Bail as you have. The mix craps out from one side to the other or just goes dead on one channel during a song.

The problem with the Swingin Pig release, is that they used that "no noise" EQing of theirs, which made the sound thin and quite poor. The problems with the channels is present on the original Passaic tape
But VGP has slightly reworked some of these dropouts on their CD release. (It's still taken from vinyl though)

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 24, 2011 00:16

Garden State '78 is awesome!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 24, 2011 00:33

one of the first boots i ordered in the mail in the "anticipation not instant gratification" days..."Out On Bail" arrived with the stamped cover and a bonus 45 that was orange vinyl (think it was Sweet Little Sixteen w/Satisfaction) along with Handsome Girls, an awesome example of the '78 tour

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2011 00:42

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 24, 2011 06:10

georgeV
Garden State '78 is awesome!

Agreed. Got the original vinyl version 30 years ago and it is a precious possession of mine. A phenomenal document of that vivifying, gloriously punky tour...the Stones reclaiming their cutting-edge bad-boy spirit...sounding filthy and nasty and dangerous again...and going back to their roots as the greatest bar band ever...

Date: June 24, 2011 08:02

STUFAN
Silkcut,

Thanks but maybe I'm being totally dense here but why would some songs be in stereo and others not? Different sources? I thought it was just one take taken from the soundboard by an overzealous fan...

No, one source only. I clearly remember that one song switches from Mono to Stereo in between with absolute no difference in sound.

In my memory the show was released as following:

1) In Again Out Again (Mono) LP
2) Out On Bail (Mono and Stereo) LP + single
3) Garden State - a compilation of both LPs above in the correct running order (Mono)

I'll transfer the both LPs (In Again and Out On Bail) today and put them up somewhere - let you know.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 24, 2011 11:34

This vinyl rip is well worth downloading, sounds a bit warmer to my ears

[www.iorr.org]

Date: June 24, 2011 11:45

Yes that's true, still ill

Date: June 24, 2011 13:47

Already transfered Out On Bail (LP + single) - this is All Down The Line, switching from Mono to Stereo after 9 seconds.

[www.megaupload.com]

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 24, 2011 14:52

[/quote]Agreed. Got the original vinyl version 30 years ago and it is a precious possession of mine. A phenomenal document of that vivifying, gloriously punky tour...the Stones reclaiming their cutting-edge bad-boy spirit...sounding filthy and nasty and dangerous again...and going back to their roots as the greatest bar band ever...[/quote]

Yes.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: June 24, 2011 14:56

STUFAN
Silkcut,

The story was that the tape was popped out of the soundboard towards the end by a fan. The remainder of the show on the boot was made up with an audience tape.

Date: June 24, 2011 16:52

Carnaby
STUFAN
Silkcut,

The story was that the tape was popped out of the soundboard towards the end by a fan. The remainder of the show on the boot was made up with an audience tape.

Just a guess.....but I think that the "mono/stereo" problems with Passaic 1978 is that the volume was simply too HIGH for the recorder to take. You might notice that both the "channel problems" and stereo/mono issue mostly occours after a high sound (snare drums or something). Luckily the recording itself is not "overloaded"

BTW - only the 2nd half of Street Fighting Man comes in audience quality......and that number is a complete disaster compared to the rest of the concert; performancewise

Date: June 24, 2011 19:43

SFM was the encore, and it is cut off on the GS 78 LP...The single w/OOB is from JFK in Philly, a few days later...I am lucky enough to have been at both, and own the vinyl as well... ;-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home