Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is than an original US pressing of Aftermath?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 9, 2015 18:02

Kind of a weird question, but my dad just pulled out his copy of Aftermath and we both noticed that we'd never noticed it says "Aftermath, including Paint It Black" on it. I guess I'm so used to the CD which doesn't say that, and he just hasn't seen it years and probably forgot. He then got a bit paranoid that it wasn't an original, and then he must have bought it later since it advertises Paint It Black. I said its actually probably the opposite, especially with those Stones records, that the hits weren't included on the UK copies, so this probably IS an original US pressing because they are advertising the hit (that was probably released earlier) that wasn't on the UK version.

Not a big deal, but I said I'd find out. I assumed someone here would know. This isn't our copy but I'm pretty sure this is the exact copy we have at home:

Just trying to assuage his fears lol. I'm sure its an original and he bought it right when it came out.

Re: Is than an original US pressing of Aftermath?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2015 18:25

On discogs.com, it's listed as 1st US-Edition from 1966 and has the Cover as shown above (PS 476).

US - [www.discogs.com]

UK - [www.discogs.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 9, 2015 19:06

Thanks! I figured as much but he just wanted a confirmation. Thanks again!

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 15:46

Please, post labels and matrix numbers if you want more price info.
I'll be happy to help,
Luca

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2015 16:59

unfortunately in most cases the US pressings just don't hold the value that their UK counterparts do. Stereo in particular by mid decade but Luca's correct, posting the labels and matrix numbers can help with a price assessment.

Date: August 11, 2015 04:10

Do yourself a favour and pick up an original copy of the mono of this same album for your dad. Listen to both side by side. As curious as it may sound, I find the American pressing of this album is superior to the U.K. one, which lacks "Paint it Black". The album isn't the same without "Paint it Black" even though it has three other great songs on it that are not on the U.S. version. It's probably the only Stones album for which I prefer the American version.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2015 04:29

charlesbaudelaire
Do yourself a favour and pick up an original copy of the mono of this same album for your dad. Listen to both side by side. As curious as it may sound, I find the American pressing of this album is superior to the U.K. one, which lacks "Paint it Black". The album isn't the same without "Paint it Black" even though it has three other great songs on it that are not on the U.S. version. It's probably the only Stones album for which I prefer the American version.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

If nothing else, it certainly has the better cover.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 11:04

This is a wonderful son-dad story, RollingFreak. I think your dad has a 1st pressing because it has the "Paint It Black" hype sticker. Before then, only the initial pressings of "Rolling Stones Now", "Out of Our Heads" and "December's Children" had hype stickers. And these were stuck directly on the cover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home