Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Supertramp was great.
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: June 20, 2011 06:04

I saw the awesome show Supertramp did here. Even without Roger they
can draw a big crowd, 9.000 plus and can still deliver the goods. Can someone in the US tell me have you toured the US this year?

Re: OT: Supertramp was great.
Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 20, 2011 07:35

Supertramp was always limp-d-ck, weenie rock, even in their heyday. Take the short way home, and shut the hell up during your journey.

Date: June 20, 2011 07:44

MY my are you having a bad hair day ab??

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 20, 2011 08:30

He He He...

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 20, 2011 12:37

I second your emotion, tipps. Supertramp were great even though they were a different ballgame than The Rolling Stones i e not really a rock and roll band: more of a symphonic rock band.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 20, 2011 12:38

Stoneage
I second your emotion, tipps. Supertramp were great even though they were a different ballgame than The Rolling Stones i e not really a rock and roll band: more of a symphonic rock band.

+ 1 thumbs up

Date: June 20, 2011 13:51

ab
Supertramp was always limp-d-ck, weenie rock, even in their heyday. Take the short way home, and shut the hell up during your journey.

...without the unfriendlyness of this reply (that probably makes ME a weenie too, in ab's book...), but agreeing 100% with the determination of this statement: "+ 1", so to speak. thumbs up

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 20, 2011 14:22

I absolutely love Supertramp! At least until Hodgson and Davies parted in the 80s. Just because they weren't so much rock 'n' roll, doesn't mean they lacked great melodies, lyrics, beautiful sounds, good grooves, and yes -- in the end they had some kind of rock 'n' roll to them.

I nearly walked into a Hodgson-concert in Barcelona this spring, but decided it was too expensive for me.

I've never understood why they aren't playing together these days?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 20, 2011 14:27

LieB
I've never understood why they aren't playing together these days?

In 1982, the band released the final album of the 'classic line-up', ...Famous Last Words... in 1982, which contained the Top 20 hit "It's Raining Again" and the Top 40 hit "My Kind of Lady". A worldwide tour followed in 1983. After the tour, Hodgson left the band. There was much speculation behind the reasons why Roger Hodgson left Supertramp and in an interview, Hodgson stated that the reason was to spend time with his two small children. Hodgson moved his family from the Los Angeles area to the mountains of northern California where he built a home and studio and focused on his family and spiritual life, but would later launch a solo career. Hodgson has stated that there were never any real personal or professional problems between him and Rick Davies as some people thought.[11]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: June 20, 2011 17:55

There are problems between them now though. Roger is very upset that he wasn't invited to take part in the band's (IIRC) 40th anniversary concerts/festivities, and he's not pleased that they continue to play his songs.

I didn't appreciate them much back when they were popular. However, I saw a DVD of a solo concert that Hodgson did in Montreal and it was great, very moving.

Date: June 21, 2011 02:32

Claire_M
There are problems between them now though. Roger is very upset that he wasn't invited to take part in the band's (IIRC) 40th anniversary concerts/festivities, and he's not pleased that they continue to play his songs.

I didn't appreciate them much back when they were popular. However, I saw a DVD of a solo concert that Hodgson did in Montreal and it was great, very moving.

You are mistaken. On their web site it says Davies did have a talk with Roger and he was not interested in the reunion.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: June 21, 2011 02:36

They played in Portugal in September 2010 two shows, Lisboa and Porto.

Both were sold out long time in advance (Lisboa 15.000, Porto 10.000).

I was at the Lisboa show, september 12th; and it was magnificent!!!

If you can: GO!!!!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 21, 2011 02:39

I never liked that tight pants voice of Supertramp...........sorry

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: June 21, 2011 08:38

While we're discussing this topic, have any of you checked out the Deluxe edition of their 1979 album Breakfast in America?

The album's title was not one considered by Rick Davies, who instead preferred either "Working Title" or "Hello Stranger." Rick also didn't want the song "Breakfast in America" - originally written by Roger Hodgson circa 1968 - on the LP, either.

Half of the second CD of the Deluxe version of BIA contains the remaining six songs of the 22-song set from their Nov. 29, 1979 concert at the Pavillon de Paris (lit. "Pavilion of Paris" ) in Paris, France that did not surface on their 1980 live double-album titled Paris. These six songs were "Goodbye Stranger," "Give a Little Bit," "Another Man's Woman," "Downstream," "Child of Vision" and "Even in the Quietest Moments."

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 15:56 by BrianJones1969.

Date: June 21, 2011 09:02

Thanks for the info, Ben. maybe I will have a look at that. Lost interest in the band after "Famous last words" at approximately the same time The Rolling Stones grabbed my full attention! Remember what a big hit "Breakfast in America" was at the time. I was only twelwe or thirteen, at that age you are very susceptible to trends in pop/rock music.

Date: June 21, 2011 11:16

Thanks Ben for the info. I also lost interest after Famous... They played Vancouver on June 2nd this year. It was worth every cent. I figured I better see them now as I never have and this could be the last time. Davies is two years younger than Jagger. Wonder who will last longer. I'm still waiting for a kind US soul to tell me if they played the US this year. Couldnt find anything on Google.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: June 21, 2011 11:43

tipps
Thanks Ben for the info. I also lost interest after Famous... They played Vancouver on June 2nd this year. It was worth every cent. I figured I better see them now as I never have and this could be the last time. Davies is two years younger than Jagger. Wonder who will last longer. I'm still waiting for a kind US soul to tell me if they played the US this year. Couldnt find anything on Google.
Actually he's one year younger (born July 22, 1944) than Sir Mick, and Roger Hodgson is three years younger than Ronnie Wood.

~Ben

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: June 21, 2011 22:28

tipps
Claire_M

You are mistaken. On their web site it says Davies did have a talk with Roger and he was not interested in the reunion.

Hodgson claims he was not invited on the tour, despite offering to rejoin his former band following a fans campaign.

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 21, 2011 22:43

ab

Supertramp isn't what I would call a "limp-dick" .band..tongue sticking out smiley as you said
Easy music but groovy & good musicians .

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 21, 2011 23:01

How does "Logical Song" sound when the guy who wrote it and sang it with emotions is not there to perform it? It would be like having Paul McCartney singing "Imagine" on stage I think...

Bjornulf

Date: June 21, 2011 23:50

This fallout between Hodgson and Davies is really sad. I don't know who to blame but I guess it is Hodgson. At least I have the records left to listen to... .

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: June 22, 2011 07:54

Try and find a live CD called 'If Anyone Was Listening' It was recorded in London in 1975 (despite claims to be from the US Tour) It's a fantastic snapshot of the band on the way up. I was lucky enough to see them on this tour at the Bournemouth Winter Gardens in Nov 1975, and it still is one of the best gigs i've ever attended.

Date: June 22, 2011 08:12

Gibson668
Try and find a live CD called 'If Anyone Was Listening' It was recorded in London in 1975 (despite claims to be from the US Tour) It's a fantastic snapshot of the band on the way up. I was lucky enough to see them on this tour at the Bournemouth Winter Gardens in Nov 1975, and it still is one of the best gigs i've ever attended.

Is this a bootleg name?

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: June 22, 2011 15:50

It's available from all sorts of places...it's a legit release..sort of..Amazon have it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-22 15:51 by Gibson668.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: June 22, 2011 16:06

to answer tipps original question, Supertramp has not scheduled any US dates, which is kind of surprising as they were just in Canada, and now are going back to Europe, where they already toured last year (saw them in Zurich, and it was a really good show, despite Hodgson's absence)

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 22, 2011 17:19

bv
How does "Logical Song" sound when the guy who wrote it and sang it with emotions is not there to perform it? It would be like having Paul McCartney singing "Imagine" on stage I think...

More like Dave Matthews singing Memory Motel.

Date: June 22, 2011 18:44

bv

True but these 3 singers do perform a great job.

Date: June 22, 2011 18:47

UGot2Rollme
to answer tipps original question, Supertramp has not scheduled any US dates, which is kind of surprising as they were just in Canada, and now are going back to Europe, where they already toured last year (saw them in Zurich, and it was a really good show, despite Hodgson's absence)

Thanks finally someone answering my question. Yes perhaps a US tour is in the works this fall or next year. That is where the money is. They were very big in Canada and loved Canada. Of course they are bigger in Europe I hear.

Date: June 23, 2011 05:41

Thanks kindly everyone for all the views and posts on this post.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: June 23, 2011 08:56

I have never seen Supertramp but really enjoyed their music, I bought an album years ago by Roger Hogson snd really enjoyed it, then went to see him at who the albert hall in London about four years ago. He hsd a young sax player with him was brilliant. All roger had on stage wAS his guitar and keyboard, no drummer, but it sounded just like supertramp, i suppose roger was supertramp.

Not sure if I would go and see them without him though, maybe like the stones without mick and keef.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home