Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Duprees of Spitalfields
Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 14:52

Hi everyone. I've never posted on here before, but I thought some of the folks in Stonesland might be interested in my new book, The Duprees of Spitalfields. (It's now on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Duprees-Spitalfields-Brocade-Rolling-Richards/dp/1512231320/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438256438&sr=8-1&keywords=duprees+of+spitalfields).

The book looks at the woven silk brocade created by Keith's Dupree ancestors in Spitalfields, London in the 17th and 18th centuries. The focus is on the historical Dupree family and on the silks themselves (I'm a textile historian), so this book definitely isn't for most Stones fans, but if you love Keith and genealogy and textiles, or if you're such a big Keith fan that you read all material even tangentially related to him, then you might like this book. winking smiley

Re: Duprees of Spitalfields
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 30, 2015 14:56

The ancient art of weaving thumbs up

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 30, 2015 15:44

This sounds interesting - thanks. I've just checked and it's also available on amazon uk so I might check it out. I love history including genealogy, and whilst I've forgotten most of it I remember studying spitalfields weavers briefly during my history degree.

Date: July 30, 2015 16:33

Koen
The ancient art of weaving thumbs up

Yep! It still sort of blows my mind that Keith calls the interplay of lead and rhythm "guitar weaving" when generations of his family actually were weavers.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 16:38

Voodookitten76 & Martha Tuesday, it's always good to come across fellow historians.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 30, 2015 16:52

Hey Voodookitten76, your book looks very cool, I think I'll get it. One of my daughters is studying at FIT and she loved her textiles class, so I know she will enjoy your book. You should make sure that Keith's people know about the book, I bet he would love a copy. Thanks for sharing it with us and good luck to you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-30 16:54 by latebloomer.

Date: July 30, 2015 17:45

latebloomer
Hey Voodookitten76, your book looks very cool, I think I'll get it. One of my daughters is studying at FIT and she loved her textiles class, so I know she will enjoy your book. You should make sure that Keith's people know about the book, I bet he would love a copy. Thanks for sharing it with us and good luck to you!

Wow, FIT is a wonderful school--congrats to your daughter!

I actually emailed Jane Rose a few months ago to let her know about this and I spoke with her assistant on the phone, but I never heard back from them. I figured that she wasn't interested, or didn't think Keith would be interested.

In the course of doing the genealogical research for the book, I found some other cool stuff not pertinent to weaving, mainly about Gus's service in WWI, such as this photo of Gus's outfit, the 2/12th "Rangers."
Photo of the 2/12th Rangers
Gus and his friend Bobby Howes must be two of the musicians. I wish I could pick them out of the crowd!

I should probably mail a copy of the book and the photo to Jane's office. She might just throw it away, but I guess you never know until you try!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home