Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Route 66
Date: June 15, 2011 16:44

I was down to the Grand Canyon last week and had the chance to drive along the old Route 66 through Flagstaff - and I kept humming the Stones version of Route 66. "You see Amarillo, Gallup, New Mexico, Flagstaff, Arizona. Don't forget Winona, Kingman, Barstow, San Bernandino." What a song and what a beautiful piece of American countryside.

Re: Route 66
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:04

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 15, 2011 17:47

cool smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 15, 2011 19:00

When I saw the Stones on their No Security Tour in Anaheim, Mick (from the B-stage) said to the crowd, "The composer of ROUTE 66, Bobby Troup, died yesterday, so we're going to perform ROUTE 66 tonight in his honor." And then the Stones ripped into a fantastic version of the song, with Mick dancing all around the band.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 15, 2011 19:50

It's Only Rock and Roll but I like it...

Date: June 15, 2011 22:02

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: June 16, 2011 07:59

I drove from Las Vegas to Palm Springs, CA about two years ago and along the way I passed through Barstow and San Bernadino. I wish I had had time to get off and take Route 66 through here, as it was easily marked.
In March I went to LA and spent a significant amount of time on old Route 66. My hotel in Pasadena was on Colorado Blvd (part of route 66) and I traveled along the Arroyo Seco Parkway (110 Pasadena Freeway) a few times, passing under the old stone arch bridges. Of course traveling down Santa Monica Blvd through West Hollywood and Beverly Hills to Santa Monica is almost impossible not to do if you want to see these places.
Finally when traveling from Chicago to St. Louis the only logical choice is 55, which from the above site runs parallel to old Route 66.
As for the song, I think the Stone's version was based on Chuck Berry's. But for a unique take on it, check out Nelson Riddle's lounge version from the TV show Route 66, which is based around the Route 66 song riff.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 16, 2011 08:54

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 16, 2011 14:28

2 1 2 0

Posted by: turd ()
Date: June 16, 2011 17:57

Edith Grove

Bill's bass patern here is phenominal and very clear in the mix.
Also noticed Charlie is using his famous 3 on 1 off on the hihat lick, maybe it was aound this time he started this bizarre practice.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 16, 2011 22:55

Title5Take1
When I saw the Stones on their No Security Tour in Anaheim, Mick (from the B-stage) said to the crowd, "The composer of ROUTE 66, Bobby Troup, died yesterday, so we're going to perform ROUTE 66 tonight in his honor." And then the Stones ripped into a fantastic version of the song, with Mick dancing all around the band.

Was at that concert. Thought they sounded much better than the Knebworth version. Is there a Mick Taylor version for comparison?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 16, 2011 22:59

related ...back in the 70's I delivered a pizza to Bobby Troup & Julie London 's house . they were having a party for one of their kids when the lights went out. I went to the fuse box and flipped the switch...i got a huge tip.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 17, 2011 08:36

the "let me hear you say yeah - come on darlin let me hear you say yeah" intro
on the early concert versions is so beautifully, essentially Stoned -
so little to ask, and so freakin vital

i love the Rolling Stones

Date: June 17, 2011 19:46

In Michael Crichton's novel NEXT a character is driving past towns, and they're "Flagstaff," and then "Winona" and Crichton names these towns in the order that they're sung in ROUTE 66, but he never mentions ROUTE 66 (and he mentions no other towns than those in the song). It's an amusing inside joke to those familiar with the song.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 17, 2011 23:05

We really need a No Security Tour DVD.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: June 18, 2011 00:14

24FPS
We really need a No Security Tour DVD.

[www.youtube.com]
thumbs up
Definetly!!!!!

Date: June 18, 2011 00:27

turd
Edith Grove

Bill's bass patern here is phenominal and very clear in the mix.
Also noticed Charlie is using his famous 3 on 1 off on the hihat lick, maybe it was aound this time he started this bizarre practice.

Agreed re. Bill, but it seems his A string is a bit out of tune.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 18, 2011 02:46

In the fall of '60 our family took that trip down Route 66, Chicago to Los Angeles. Like many others in the midwest, we watched the Rose Bowl on New Year's day while we were buried in snow and Mom said "We're moving THERE!" I remember it as a great adventure...not only the drive, but moving to Southern California. Someone once said "If you want to stop people from moving to California, stop broadcasting the Rose Bowl!" That is part of the reason I do not like the BCS. There are the cultural ties between the mid-west and California that get visited with the Rose Bowl. I do not like seeing that messed with. But I digress...

Date: June 18, 2011 03:14

pmk251
In the fall of '60 our family took that trip down Route 66, Chicago to Los Angeles.

I've been wanting to do this for years, but you got to do it when it was still a functioning highway.

If you have pictures from that trip, and don't mind posting them, I'd encourage you to do so, or just give us a story or two. smiling smiley

Date: June 18, 2011 04:15

When I stay the night in Flagstaff I always eat dinner at Black Barts where the college student wait staff sing on a stage between serving tables. They're not professional singers, but the co-eds are awful cute up there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-18 19:12 by Title5Take1.

Date: June 18, 2011 19:09

Even the Cramps covered it.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 18, 2011 21:13

<If you have pictures from that trip, and don't mind posting them, I'd encourage you to do so, or just give us a story or two.>

Thanks for the interest, but I have very little to say about the trip. I remember very little and there are only a couple of photographs that I recall. A lot of sitting in the back seat with my sisters trying to entertain ourselves with car games. In the evening in Amarillo we stopped at a restaurant, basically a burger place. We were the only people there. The owner appeared from the kitchen and looked surprised we were there. We ordered, again basically burgers and fries, and the owner disappeared. We waited and waited and waited. Where'd he go? Finally, I went around and took a peek into the kitchen. After all that time he was still peeling the potatoes for fries! We were going to leave, but felt sorry for the guy and stayed until we finally got our food.

My Dad got a ticket in New Mexico. We had to wait outside a police station until he paid it and returned. In Arizona we saw the big hole in the ground where a meteor hit (the photos are from there). But I do remember that when we arrived in LA we noticed that my Dad's left arm was a nice bronze color. He was, of course, the driver.

Date: June 19, 2011 02:11

First time I've heard this version:

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 19, 2011 02:41

Live at the BBC

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: June 19, 2011 02:57

Rockman

Nat King Cole's version has always left everyone's else's interpretation of the song in the Dust. The Bongo really sets this version way over the top.

That beatnick, coolcat sound is crazy man, crazy!

CBII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-19 02:59 by CBII.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 19, 2011 03:04

Come On

What do you think of this version CBII?

Date: June 19, 2011 03:36

Silver Dagger
Come On

What do you think of this version CBII?

I love it BUT, Nat Cole just has the edge even over this. I hope we get to play this live.

CBII

Date: June 19, 2011 03:42

This is off topic but Irving Ashby (Featured in the Nat Cole clip) has always been a favorite of mine. Fluid would be an understatement of his playing.

Irving Ashby

CBII

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: June 19, 2011 03:46

Paul McCartney drove it (Route 66) with his girl shortly after they met.

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: June 19, 2011 09:53

Edith Grove
First time I've heard this version:

What town does he name just after "Don't forget Winona"?
I'm sure it's not "Kingman"
And I can't find another town on the map.
Maybe some American people know?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1543
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home